• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Does this make my Emerald fake?

nidorina

Ash Ketchum groupie~1998♥
Years
  • My Emerald stopped saving due to "damage or corruption." I found, on my 4th restart of the game, that saving twice in a row allowed me to save. But after leaving the game for a few hours, I tried to play my saved file and it again told me my save file was lost due to damage or corruption. Then I popped out my version of Diamond and tried again. ZOMG THE SAVE FILE WAS BACK!!!!!

tl;dr version: My Emerald kept telling me it wouldn't save due to damage/corruption. When I took Diamond out of the DS slot it worked just fine. Is my Emerald fake?

My brother originally got it Used at Gamestop. It is a flourescent green cartridge.

Ru-Kun

bleh...
    Years
  • Was the file deleted?

If the file was deleted when the Diamond was in, then your Emerald is probably a fake. The DPPt games can delete the game files of fake GBA Pokemon games when they are both in a DS or DS lite at the same time.

Sooooo your Emerald is probably a fake. Could you show a picture of it maybe?

nidorina

Years
  • Ok, so the image wouldn't upload and I can't post a link (>.<) and I don't feel like being a troll to get 15 posts.

I looked up fakes on google and it looks just like one i found (3rd pg)except for the circular device thing inside is on the left rather than the right in mine.

I just tried it again in my DS after taking it out to take the picture, and it told me the game was damaged/corrupted again, and Diamond wasn't in. So I'm thinking it may be real and just broken.

nidorina

Years
  • Yeah, it's not a dark green cartridge. And the sticker is definitely not holographic.
    But the thing that bugs me is, would Gamestop really sell a fake? (for $40??)

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • Phew, $40? Wow. I got my genuine cartridge for £10 off eBay. o.O

But anyway, I'm going to go ahead and guess that either they didn't care, or that the person who tested the game before they put it on the shelf didn't know what to look for in a fake/thought it was LeafGreen.

nidorina

Years
  • Wow. I feel really ripped off now.
    But thanks for your help! :D I'm gonna have to try and return this thing now.

nidorina

Years
  • >>; At least they didn't sell you a DS lite with a half-unresponsive touch screen like they did my friend. xD
    Wow, THAT is just not cool. I'm quite happy with my clunker original DS, so I've never had anything like that.. yet. Besides the fake game. >:[

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • Yeah, it's not a dark green cartridge. And the sticker is definitely not holographic.

Yes, gamestop would sell a fake game, I went to the one where I'm at and saw a black firered and told the man it was a fake and he sold it 2 days later.

nidorina

Years
  • Yes, gamestop would sell a fake game, I went to the one where I'm at and saw a black firered and told the man it was a fake and he sold it 2 days later.
    That's like lying to someone. It should be illegal to profit off of fake games unless the buyer knows what they're getting.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • That's like lying to someone. It should be illegal to profit off of fake games unless the buyer knows what they're getting.

It should be illegal to profit off fake games, period. Considering how many have defective internal batteries, glitches, etc. ): Have you been to GameStop to report your cartridge yet?

nidorina

Years

• It should be illegal to profit off fake games, period. Considering how many have defective internal batteries, glitches, etc. ): Have you been to GameStop to report your cartridge yet?
    Not yet. I haven't been able to find the receipt. Do you think I'd be able to return it without it?

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Not yet. I haven't been able to find the receipt. Do you think I'd be able to return it without it?

It's a long shot, but it might be possible. Reselling the game might be a good method to regain the lost cash, but then you'd be profiting off of said fake game.

nidorina

Years
  • Thanks both of you. I guess I should try to exchange it, because I really do want to play Emerald. This whole thing just has me a bit frazzled.

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2013
    I once bought myself a second Emerald (second? Yes, second. I like breeding. >__>) from a supposed 'normal' site. When I got it, I already had my doubts because I got a not-folded box. Cartridge looked normal though, but every time I booted it up, it said: "save file is ok". This had me worried but it played fine as is. After the first time I finished the League, the next time I turned it on, the file was missing. After another try of playing the game, I couldn't even reach the League without getting the file deleted.

It sucked. =( But now, I've gotten my second one from a retro shop in my city, so it's all good.

But yeah, just telling my story. xD I hope you can get it exchanged because that's a lot of money for a fake game. I kept mine though, but I should have said something about it not working... >___>

Tears In The Rain

Thirsty, purposeless Vampire
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Sep 15, 2010
    Yeah, it's not a dark green cartridge. And the sticker is definitely not holographic.

Ah yeah that definitely spells F-A-K-E, fake. The real Emerald Cartridge is dark green with a shiny/holographic label as stated before.
    And yes Gamestop does occasionally have fake/hacked games, I once saw a team rocket hack cartridge in one of my local gamestops. Personally It's careless and/or stupid of them to accept them but somehow they do because my own eyes don't deceive me, I have hawk vision I can see small writing from decent distances away.

Also the game corrupting while the DS cartridge is in I believe I heard is also a sign of it being pirated/fake. Plus I myself have never had that problem and all the cartridges I have ever owned are real.

Back