• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

'Home' brands or the 'Big' brands?

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
Years
  • So basically, when shopping, or your parents are, either way, which type of food do you buy?
    The fancy big brands with their package designs etc that generally cost more but have more reliable taste, or the 'home' brands, that just have a simple design, usually it's the same design for everything, cheaper but you don't know how it will compare to the big brands' taste.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I complain to my mom whenever she buys these 'home brand' cereals. I absolutely wanted Cookie Crisp, but she bought me this cereal with a racoon on it. :-| Three days later, I popped it open and tasted it. It wasn't that bad, so I guess there really isn't much of a difference?

To answer the topic, yes, I generally buy 'big brand' cereals. ;3

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'm a penny-pincher, so I'll go with store brands most of the time, with a few exceptions:

I have very dry skin, and the store brand moisturizers simply don't cut it. I have to buy name brand in that case.

Wal-Mart's brand of soda is AWFUL. I never buy the stuff anymore.

Most anything else, I can live with store brands. When you're living on a college budget, you learn to do that.

Years
  • I'm usually pretty cool with buying store brands. I have rent and bills to pay on top of feeding myself, and store brands are typically cheaper and don't taste that different to me.

Sometimes, though, I'll buy name-brand anyway. Like with orange juice, I never get the store brand, and I have no idea why either. o_O Or in the case of my favorite cereal, I can't seem to find a store brand for it (or at least when I go out shopping for it).

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
  • Depends.

Whatever we like, we get. And if we wanna try something new, we get that. And if we like that, we'll get that instead of what we usually get. And if we're low on money, which has been the case recently, we'll get whatever's cheap but still tasty.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Most of the time, I can't discern any real difference in quality between store brands and name brands. Since store brands are cheaper, I almost always go for those; I only buy name brands when they're on sale or if I have coupons for them.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I have no complaints with store brands if that's what you mean by "home".

Trying to shop local though.... crazy expensive. Buying strawberries in season from a nearby farmer's market will cost you more than buying some imported from halfway across the world :\

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • It depends on exactly what I'm buying. For example, if I go shopping for waffles I have to purchase the Eggo brand over any other home brand as I find the quality of it to be better in taste. There are a few other nitpicks on what I may buy with a popular brand name, but a majority of the time I have no complaints with buying any home brand products when it comes to food. It's cheaper and besides the fact, food is food.

I probably could have given a better example, but Eggo waffles is what I had for breakfast, so it just came to me.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Depends on what I'm buying. I'm fine getting the basic store-brand pasta, or snacks, etc. because I don't taste any difference for those. But cola? I haaaaate store-brand soft drinks and I'll spend the $2 extra on a case of Coke instead, every time. D:

Sometimes I'll get store-brand cereal but my favourite cereal doesn't have a store brand and my mom stock-piles Cheerios when they're on sale so I just take from her stash. XD; So not reason for me to get store-brand cereal which is the first product after pop that comes to mind when I think of this.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Ah, generic vs. name brand. Well, we don't have a lot of money anymore, so my mom buys the generic stuff. But I despise the generic brands. I much prefer name brand foods. And anything from Cloverland disgusts me as well with the exception of their gallons of milk.

Years
  • They all taste pretty much the same to me, so I just buy whatever's cheapest.
    Unless, of course, it comes to milk. Because I only like a certain kind of milk, it's really creamy and delicious. And there's a certain brand of milk that we've gotten before which tastes sour right after you open it.

But besides that, given the choice, I'd pick the generic brand any time, they just seem to have more taste to me.

Ayselipera

As other people have said it depends on what I'm buying.

For example when I want Cheetos I get Cheetos not Cheesey Krunchy Bits. In this case I know the home brand is going to have a stale texture and chemical tasting cheese.
    When I want some bread though I just grab the cheapest loaf. I don't taste the difference between Sara Lee and Bill's sliced bread.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I usually will get some store and name brands, it depends really. I usually will get the name brands if they are on sale or have a coupon. But for the most part I get some store and name brands. The only food I will get name brand is cereal and pasta. The rest can be store brands, I don't care. I don't even drink soda anymore. So I don't need to get the name brand of soda. I might get the name brand of juice and tea though.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I work at CVS, which is basically like a mini-store with a pharmacy. In some ways, it's like Walmart, only a lot nicer. The CVS I work at has pretty much everything I need, apart from clothes, soup and salad, which are essentials for me. When I'm looking to buy something, I usually buy the CVS brand for two reasons.

a. I get a big discount on all CVS products, along with my employee discount.
    b. The money I save from buying CVS products goes into my employee account and allows me to get more rewards and generally save more money, which is rather obvious.

Saving money is important for the younger people in today's world, such as high-schoolers and college students, as well as... well, everyone else. But if you learn to save your money as a high-schooler, then you're going to have it made when you find yourself with four kids and struggling to meet end's meet, like my family has been doing for years.

The only big brands I've bought from are clothing brands, like Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, and Aéropostale (which isn't even that expensive).

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023
    It depends.

the store brands tend to taste the same as the big brands, but i usually get the big brands because my parents hate store brands >.<

but i'm fine with brands, but as long as its not from some crappy market, i'll eat it..

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Big brands, almost all the time. As for why, I am not sure. The closest we got to home-brand was for a plastic bag from Rite Aid or something. xD

Back