PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Do you think they're running out of ideas?

Patchisou Yutohru
May 16th, 2010, 06:51 AM
One of the main pessimistic opinions I've found that people have over this game are the designs when it comes to Pokémon. There are only five "released" Pokémon that we can actually see. With that said, there are so many people would there who go around complaining that Pokémon are becoming less and less original and that the people in charge of making them are basically running out of ideas and recycling parts from old Pokémon.

Do you think they're running out of ideas?

Personally, I don't see where they're coming from. I mean, there are only five Pokémon that are being introduced in this generation that are out there yet and so many people are criticizing the fact that they're running out of ideas based on just five things? Seems kind of picky to me. Sure, there are some features in the starters that I can see in other starters. Especially with Tsutaaja; although it's my favorite, it does remind me a lot of Treecko. But to go as far as to criticize the fact that they could be running out of ideas? That's a little too far for me to judge.

What about you?

Massai
May 16th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I think that there is some fantastic fan art and ideas out there including whats underneath the spoiler of this post. I think that they should take advantage of this and hold competitions for pokemon designs and as an award you get your name in the credits of the game. For much less the fans will do much more, and I think it would really spice up the pokemon selection.

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/815/wishliststarters.jpg

JAK3
May 16th, 2010, 07:36 AM
No, I don't think they are losing Ideas at all. I mean, people say the only Pokemon is Red and Blue, but I think all of them are great. I think the designs for the Pokemon we have seen so far for Generation 5 are awesome! So I think they aren't losing ideas at all.

Zorua
May 16th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I highly doubt that's the case.

As you said Nick, there are only five Pokemon that are introduced. Who are we to judge that Gamefreak is running out of ideas? Personally, I think the new pokemon look quite wonderful and I do not think that Gamefreak is running out of ideas in any way, shape, or form. If the pokemon look this way now, from what I can see, I can't wait to see what the others would come out to be, especially the legendaries.

All in all though, no, I don't think they're running out of ideas. They'll just keep dishing things at us and keep surprising us with more. And I love surprises.

Samme!
May 16th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Well I definitely think that they're going to run out of ideas eventually, if not soon. But from what we've seen so far, I think that they're doing perfectly fine. Of course we're going to come across some Pokemon that resemble one another, but in the real world we come across similar looking things a lot of the times too, right? And just by reading another thread in this section "What animals do you think they'll make?", I can already tell you that Game Freak hasn't come close to making every single kind of animal or thing into a Pokemon. And yeah, we're all going to come across those few guys that we personally say to ourselves, "WTF were they thinking?!" but in the end I think it's going to be fine (for this generation at least).

Translucent
May 16th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Maye not running out of idea per say, but the pokemon don't really...look like...pokemon anymore. I mean, I don't really see the aspect of pokemon anymore. THey kind of remind me of Digimon and pokemon combined. xD

Vrai
May 16th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Nintendo, running out of ideas?

Are we, the fans, running out of ideas?

We can go over to deviantArt and do a quick search on "fakemon" and then we can get a bazillion and a half results of fakemon (poorly drawn or not) based on just as many things. I mean, we have imaginations and clearly so do they. If anything they might even spawn ideas looking off of fan artwork. No, I don't think they're running out of ideas, and I don't think they ever will (until like the eighth generation anyway; and you all know that's going to come eventually ): ).

I think that the five Pokémon that we've seen thus far are pretty imaginative, although Tsutaja does look a bit similar to Treecko and Pokabu reminds me of Spoink. But there are other Pokémon that have been similar and even introduced in the same generation. Plusle and Minun Nidoran and Nidoran Jigglypuff and Clefairy, anyone?

There'll likely be bad seeds in this latest bunch of Pokémon but there are always a few bad designs in every generation. It'll be all good.

Guy
May 16th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Those who say that GameFreak is running out of ideas with Pokémon really leave me confused. If Pokémon was actually running out of ideas, then the franchise itself would not have gotten so far, so quickly. If anything, they're actually putting in more time and thought with their Pokémon now, than they did before. Looking at designs from the 1st and 2nd Generations alone compared to the 3rd and 4th, Pokémon has evolved. They've become more complex in that they're not simply a cat with just a gold coin on it's forehead for example. They've taken other ideas and other forms to change that, which I think has only made each generation grow.

With only five Pokémon actually "revealed" I think it's a little too soon to jump the gun and say that this Generation will be absolute fail. More so, it's probably going to be the most different, yes, but in a creative way. I mean looking at Tsutaaja, it's based as a Grass Snake Pokémon. With legs and arms, we question how it is based on a snake? Well, that's just the creative part of it all and to see what it evolves into is always questionable. So no, I don't think Pokémon is running out of ideas with Black and White. To me, they're just taking another step up and keeping the generation unique to the others.

Flame Claw
May 16th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I remember the exact same controversy when Gen IV was confirmed.

jon328
May 16th, 2010, 09:06 AM
how is it "going too far" to say that they're running out of ideas? going to far would be like actually criticizing the new pokemon and complaining on how ugly/horrible/dumb etc.. they look. or making a complaint to game freak or something hahaha

and yeah in my opinion they're running out of new and fresh ideas. and they are looking less and less like pokemon and more like digimon or machines or something xP

Avey
May 16th, 2010, 09:25 AM
To me, they almost certainly started running out of ideas with the generations III and IV. Just look at I and II and see the startling differences between the Pokemon... their designs are so much more alive and feel so much more genuine to what their successors felt like. That said, I did enjoy a lot of new ideas employed in the later games that weren't around for the earlier ones.

But this is about the upcoming generation, not conflicted thoughts about previous ones. Honestly, my expectations have been exceeded by the five pocket monsters we've been presented with. If the standard keeps up, the new generation would easily live up to what generations I and II set in stone.

I think it's too early to properly judge originality as well, so I'll just leave it at that.

Waffle-San
May 16th, 2010, 09:50 AM
People who honestly think that GF is running out of ideas must be beyond naive. I could argue the very definition of idea here by saying that every pokemon is an idea (yes even Nosepass, someone had to think him up) but I think that'd be a trivial waste of my time. In reality though, the latest Pokemon we've seen are only getting more original and more original. Just because you can see elements of another Pokemon in a Poke doesn't mean it's unoriginal, heck it's realistic. I can find similiarities between a Robin and a Blue Jay; a Duck and a Swan; a beaver, a badger and a bear; that's just the truth of nature, Pokemon really does a splendid job of keeping it's designs fresh. Yes the original generations were simpler and may of us grew up with them but that magic was re-lived in many of these later generation but these Pokemon get hated on for being boring and stupid, go figure. The truth is current generations (generation 5 probably won't be an exception) are based on their few stinkers instead of all the great Pokemon and (far fewer) bad Pokemon combined. That's how the conversations go,

Person 1:"Wow Bibarel is such a terrible design, generation 4 Pokemon suck"
Person 2:"But what about awesome designs like Drapion, Frosslass, Lucario, Mismagius and Garchomp?"
Person 1:"Yeah but Bidoof and Bibarel suck, Generation 4 sucks"

Person 1:"I love second generation Pokemon so much, I mean look at Skarmory's design among others!!"
Person 2:"Yeah but Dunsparce has a stupid, stupid design, so really 2nd generation sucks."
Person 1:"Are you kidding me? Based off on one Pokemon? How can you say that?"

Exactly the way generations are judged and I really hope Generation V isn't judged that way cause so far it's awesome.

As far as the 5th generation Pokemon, I, thankfully, haven't seen or read that many complaints about them. I think they do well as to show that GF is not running out of ideas and that they can still make Pokemon that every grows and loves. I hope this generation they stay way from evo/pre-evos of past Pokemon and only add a couple as these Pokemon are the only really fair comparision and even then are overly judged on fan bias. Either way Zorua, Zoroark, Mjumaru, Pokabu and Tsutaaja are all a nice breath of fresh air to me. They prove once again that GF is not running out of ideas and that Pokemon is in good hands.

Dillon_68
May 16th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Personally, I think that its impossible to run out of ideas. I think that we may run out of species of animals and start doing random subspecies, but GF can always make ORIGINAL creatures. Ideas are endless.

tvoza2
May 16th, 2010, 10:16 AM
ever since bidoof, ive belived they are out of ideas. bidoof are useless!

Mew~
May 16th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Let me put this simpily:
NO!
Theres loads of things to explore for ideas... I agree with Dillion_68 ^ Its like, impossable to run out of ideas!

jon328
May 16th, 2010, 10:19 AM
i think if people say they're running out of ideas its THEIR opinion. its not like they're trying to force you to believe what they believe so dont try to force them to think like you:)

Patchisou Yutohru
May 16th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Waffle-San already addressed how I would reply to this, but you really shouldn't let one bad Pokémon design affect your opinion on better things to come. After all, Bidoof is just one Pokémon.

Bruno™
May 16th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I actaully love the new designs so far , but you are correct .
You cannot base an entire Generation off of 5 Pokemon .

Waffle-San
May 16th, 2010, 10:29 AM

Case in point. >.<
What Patchisou Yutohru said.

I think for all you people who believe GF is running out of ideas it's really more that you think they aren't putting as much effort in. Which could be true, I don't know, I personally don't think so. It's obvious that GF is putting alot of effort into Generation 5 and I expect that to continue with the Pokemon designs

Flare Riqueza
May 16th, 2010, 10:36 AM
My only problem with the pokemon is that they change the names.

I want Zorua, Zoroark, and those other 3 to keep their names, and lots of others aswell (although things like Froslass are best kept how they are, some would be good as a direct translation. Rukario, anybody?).

Because I started with Emerald, went forwards, then backwards, then forwards again:

Emerald-Ranger-Diamond-LeafGreen-Platinum-SoulSilver

I think most of the designs are good. And, tbh, some designs from Gen I were crappy, and Gen II, and Gen III, and Gen IV.

However, some of the most creative, i.e. Manaphy and Phione which are based on sea slugs and Castform, often get criticised too easily.

Legendaries aren't even getting unimaginative, there's just too many!

HeartSoulSpirit
May 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM
a bit zoura looks like a emo evee.Tsutaaja as you said looks sorta like treeko.

Esper
May 16th, 2010, 12:04 PM
No one is going to like everything about the game however it turns out. We've seen maybe 1-2% of the game so far - much too soon to form anything but hopes and wishes.

Did anyone really think the starters weren't going to be a little simple looking just like all the other starters?

IRC
May 16th, 2010, 12:06 PM
If they run out of ideas, they can rip things off of roms.
OF COURSE THEY WONT RUN OUT OF IDEAS! FINAL FANTASY WENT ON FOR YEARS, WHY CAN'T POKEMON!

Ayselipera
May 16th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I don't think they've run out of ideas they just have different ideas then they have previously had. The first Pokemon were very simple in design almost completely animal looking in some cases. Now from what I can see I'd say Pokemon have a much more fictional look. They are less animal looking and more their own creatures. Which I personally have noticed starting a little bit in the second generation and then carrying on more and more into each generation after that.

So I think the problem is what we want are simpler easier on the eyes designs. Instead of robust agitating Pokemon.

Porygon-Z
May 16th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I just wish they wouldn't regurgitate the same story line over and over again. It's getting old no matter how nicely you dress it up.

Illustration
May 16th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I actually think that the Pokemon are getting more creative as the generations pass by.
Just because a Pokemon has some similarities with another Pokemon doesn't mean it's a knock-off; just because people think a Pokemon is ugly doesn't mean its design is uncreative (Probopass, Dunsparce, etc.)

Sweet Smoochum
May 16th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Hmmm....no...

end post.]]

I think the Pokemon I've seen so far for the fifth gen look as if more thought was put into their designs. Even if some have certain characteristics that remind us of old Pokemon, I don't mind. There's always a new element of surprise.

gteystre3t
May 16th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I felt like they were running out of ideas at the beginning of Ruby and Sapphire. Idk, I really didn't feel the need for more Pokemon. Just new moves, some new legendaries and that's it.

Angelroid
May 16th, 2010, 01:00 PM
They ain't running out of ideas.

And you call urself, Pokemon fans shame on u.

Yusshin
May 16th, 2010, 01:03 PM
A pig. An otter. And a lizard bird. For starters in B/W.

Uh. I seriously think the otter is 1/2 Piplup, 1/2 Seal. Really. They look terrible.

They are running out of ideas. The starters are supposed to be some of the best Pokemon o0 These ones look like runty trash.

Grass starter can't be a snake; it has LEGS. WTF?

Volroc
May 16th, 2010, 01:04 PM
after all the new evolutions of old pokemon in sinnoh....

i have to say yes, cuz what was the point of evolving old pokemon?
to me it seemed like they ran out of ideas, and just rushed a bunch of new evolutions
and a massive overload of legendaries to try& squeeze out as much story as they could

if Isshu, turns out to be like Sinnoh, it will officially prove theyve run out of ideas, a few new evolutions are cool, eeveelutions are always awesome, but if the entire new area is old pokemon evolutions like sinnoh..... theyve run out of ideas sadly :(

Zeta Patchouli
May 16th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I don't see it. I mean, the generations have been getting more creative as they were coming out. The pokemon designs for this generation seem to be pretty good, in my own, honest opinion. Even the water starter who's name I can't seem to remember just yet.

Note that creative =/= good, but even then, there's only two pokemon designs I hate, so in my opinion, with pokemon themselves, they're not done just yet.

Storylines? Well, they are getting better in that, in my own opinion. I loved the 4th and 3rd gen stories a lot, fourth more, though.

SuperEV133
May 16th, 2010, 01:32 PM

Yeah. And Golem is a rock with arms; it has a FACE. WTF?

[/sarcasm]

Anyway, I don't think they're running of ideas. If anything, they're getting more ideas. The Pokemon don't look as plain and simple as they used to; I like that.

Now my only hope is that Mijumaru gets a move that let's it crack other Pokemon's heads open on his belly with a rock like a real otter <3

Pityflame
May 16th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Person 2:"But what about awesome designs like Drapion, Frosslass, Lucario, Mismagius and Garchomp?"

Person 1:"I love second generation Pokemon so much, I mean look at Skarmory's design among others!!"
Person 2:"Yeah but Dunsparce has a stupid, stupid design, so really 2nd generation sucks."

Bidoof and Dunsparce both have awesome design, and lucario does not.

Guy
May 16th, 2010, 01:41 PM

Uh. I seriously think the otter is 1/2 Piplup, 1/2 Seal. Really. They look terrible.

They are running out of ideas. The starters are supposed to be some of the best Pokemon o0 These ones look like runty trash.

To get the point across that some have been trying to explain, you can't judge a whole generation by only a few Pokémon. And you can't say they've run out of ideas either when it's still going. The starters aren't supposed to be some of the best Pokémon. Who ever said that? They're unique Pokémon in that you can only obtain one in the entire game. This doesn't mean they have to look like one of the bests. Hey, the first generation starters were great, but there are definitely a ton of better designed Pokémon in that same generation on top of the Kanto starters. As for them looking as trash, well that's your word of opinion, so I would respect that. I'll end by saying though that the starters could have been far worse than you consider them to be now.

after all the new evolutions of old pokemon in sinnoh....

i have to say yes, cuz what was the point of evolving old pokemon?
to me it seemed like they ran out of ideas, and just rushed a bunch of new evolutions
and a massive overload of legendaries to try& squeeze out as much story as they could

if Isshu, turns out to be like Sinnoh, it will officially prove theyve run out of ideas, a few new evolutions are cool, eeveelutions are always awesome, but if the entire new area is old pokemon evolutions like sinnoh..... theyve run out of ideas sadly :(
A new generation of Pokémon isn't only about creating an entirely new batch of Pokémon. Nothing stops them from taking something old and giving it something new for fans to look forward to. It doesn't mean they've run out of ideas, it just means they're reserving what they can use as something new for a later year, while they can take something old and give it something more for the new generation coming up.

If this was the case, then Pokémon would have been running out of ideas since the second generation, considering there are a few Pokémon there who got new evolutions and pre-evolutions.

As far as basing some Pokémon off of others, or sharing similar characteristics, then that's just like the world we live in today. If you take a look outside, you'll see our animals have similar characteristics to each other. It's why they're classified in families and groups. I don't think Pokémon needs to avoid that and neither does it take away from their originality or the thought of them running out of ideas.

UmbreonUniverse
May 16th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Well lets look at it this way yeah sure they might be running out of a few ideas (I dont think so at all) but hey they have over 500 Pokemon what do you think that new Pokemon just come out off thin air?
Well no they dont so they are thinking hard but the new Pokemon look awesome and for the people who dont think they look good, then lets see them do better. I think the GameFreak is just starting the Pokemon
for all we know they already have 90 more Pokemon they just dont want to release them to the public yet! (<-------Well duh Umbre) Anyways I will still love Pokemon no matter what! Heck even when I get like 20 and stuff
(not saying the 20 year olds cant play Pokemon) Pokemon will always be in my heart, and I want Pokemon to last in-till my children can also play pokemon (by then there will be 1,000 Pokemon)!
---

Translucent
May 16th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I don't think it's that their running out of ideas...it's just...try and picture that new starter next to Blastoise, or the green one next to weepingbell. They don't look like their from the same thing, or look like they are part of the same world. I don't think their 'out of ideas', I think their style has changed, both in art and ideas, and some people like this change while others don't. Personally, I'm on the fence about it. I love Pokemon with a passion, and I plan on buying up every game whether I like them or not. Some pokemon i like, some I don't (Nosepass.) What I wish they WOULDN"T do, was add evolutions to the pokemon. I think that the old and new styles don't really mix very well, and I don't like seeing the new style put onto an old pokemon.

Keyaki
May 16th, 2010, 02:18 PM
NO, they aren't running out ideas. And like other people said, basing your opinion off of the appearance of some Pokemon, or the Plot, etc isn't really fair at all.

Like with the Bidoof and Pachirisu. Bidoof doesn't look crap or anything. Tell me, when was the last time we had a Pokemon like a Beaver or a Squirrel? But that's besides the point.

Even though I have few 'eh's about Gen V, so far. I'm really excited for it. And I think this is the best Pokemon has been since Gen II. A HUGE city like Hiun? That's gotta better than Goldenrod, Lilycove, Celadon, and Veilstone City.

And for the Pokemon part, where they get the ideas for the Pokemon etc. It's not like ALL Pokemon are based off of animals. Some are based of creature from mythology, main Japanese, Chinese, Persian, Arab, and Hebrew and Native American legends. IE: Magmar, And all the Legendary Pokemon. There are plenty of others things out that they cane get really good ideas from.

In short:

They ain't running out of ideas.

And you call urself, Pokemon fans shame on u. On a side-note: I do have one issue, with the starters. Don't get me wrong, they look AWESOME. But I'm just wondering where they got the ideas from? A Fire Pig? A Grass Snake? A Sea Otter?

Tsutaja, while I LOVE the way it looks, a Grass Snake? You sure? Where did get the idea for him?

Same thing with Pokabu. I'm choosing him as my starter. I LOVE HIM!!! But again, a Fire-breathing pig, interesting but really where did Game Freak come up with the idea for it?

Mijumaru, its said that its a Sea Otter Pokemon, but it looks more like a Bear, I mean Buizel and Floatzel looked WAY more like Otters than Mijumaru, it's really cute though.

Also, as much as I like the Gen V starters, I like the idea mentioned earlier of having contests of Pokemon artists posting candidate starters for the next Gen.

Alucus_Of_Borg
May 16th, 2010, 02:45 PM
"SIGH" I dont know how many times iv said this now, it must be at least a dozen. They aren't running out of ideas for the pokemon, cus they were ALL designed at once. The designers commissioned 1000 pokemon exactly for design, just in case pokemon grew to the massive size that it has, so they aren't designing new ones each year, there just updating the style a a bit, its also safe to say that pokemon will continue until either the market runs dry, or they use all 1000 designs, it which point they may well commission more designs, who knows.

Kon~
May 16th, 2010, 02:56 PM
In all honesty?

Yes. Well, not completely yes, but yes. I mean, no, but yes. I mean... what?

You can look back at any generation and see its high points and low points. IN EVERY generation. It just seems that as the generations progress, the high points are less and the low points are more.

On the subject of the new starters - All I see is a Treecko variant, a medley of Tutwig and Spoink, and an ugly panda thing that vaguely resembles an otter.

I like otters.

That thing makes me weep for the sake of otters. TT^TT

I really, really didn't want to judge the entire generation on the starters. I though, let's wait, let's see what they offer us, and wait, because they might have epic evolutions. The early, common Pokémon might be good. They'll be a hell of a lot better than Bidoof. Maybe the legendaries will have an epic backstory? Maybe. Let's wait!

But seriously, GF. If you don't want me to make a snap decision, please, please, give me something that will convince me otherwise. ~♪

GlitchCity
May 16th, 2010, 03:00 PM
They are far from running out of ideas. Their ideas just keeps getting more and more creative by the second. Im pretty impressed from what Ive seen lately. Battle animations; how is that running out of ideas, really now? Mijumaru is one thats having me puzzled right now. I like the fact that Im puzzled about the new generation. It keeps me guessing.

RivalGator
May 16th, 2010, 03:03 PM
The only time I thought they were running out of ideas was when they were in the Hoenn region deal. I mean... Ugh. The Pokemon there were absolutely horrible.

I don't believe that they are running out of ideas, but there is always going to be the average hater or disliker to the new games who is going to want to bash SOMETHING or other and say, "huuur they runnig outta ideeeeyyyaaaa!" and cry like a baby over it. I don't think they are. It's just hard to keep Pokemon from slightly resembling one another when there are so many Pokemon in the 'world'.

Now when it comes to actual STORYLINES, yes. I do believe that they are running out of ideas. Especially with Hoenn, of course. And Orre. But I feel that they got their act back together after Sinnoh, because I liked Team Galactic. They were okay. Second only to Team Rocket. So. I think they are okay. I just hope they never do a story like they did in Hoenn ever again.

JAK3
May 16th, 2010, 03:06 PM
If they have new species of Pokemon, then I don't think they are running out of ideas, but gamewise, it seems like they are recycling some old things, such as rival personalities and such.

WriteThemWrong
May 16th, 2010, 03:20 PM
If they have new species of Pokemon, then I don't think they are running out of ideas, but gamewise, it seems like they are recycling some old things, such as rival personalities and such.

every game is a recycling of the one before it, the only thing we have to look forward to being new is the pokemon.

for the most part i think they are still thinking creatively. sometimes i do think they go overboard with it, like they are going over the top just to impress, like some of the additional evos, rhyperion, electivire, etc, were just unnecessary

Volroc
May 16th, 2010, 03:25 PM
every game is a recycling of the one before it, the only thing we have to look forward to being new is the pokemon.

for the most part i think they are still thinking creatively. sometimes i do think they go overboard with it, like they are going over the top just to impress, like some of the additional evos, rhyperion, electivire, etc, were just unnecessary

i agree

i hope if they do give old pokemon move evolutions (hope to hell not, except for those in need of one: pachirisu& dunsparce) they dont screw it up like rhyperior -_-"
it has no rhydon-ness to it, just a ugly dis-formed rhydon with armor on it -_-"

Brockoli
May 20th, 2010, 04:23 PM
How could they possibly come up with new ideas? They've already got...

Time, Space and Shadows
http://cache.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/139993_S/Dialga-Palkia-and-Giratina.jpg

Willpower, Knowledge and Emotion
http://www.pokegraph.com/galeries/albums/userpics/10002/pokesafari023_yuxie_mesprit_azelf.PNG

Every Natural Element
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/3691/articuno2jf.jpg

Nature Itself
http://www.animeyume.com/pokemon/pkemerald.jpg

Life and Death
http://www.pokemontrash.com/platine/images/darkrai/Darkrai%20et%20Cresselia_html_60a5678b.pnghttp://images.wikia.com/es.pokemon/images/5/50/Darkrai.png

and GOD!
http://media.photobucket.com/image/arceus/diando/arceus.png

Thorns
May 20th, 2010, 04:25 PM
How about, Angels and Demons? Suits Black and White I think.

Brockoli
sorry about that last one, I guess there was to many pics. But you know what it is.

Kenaku
Yeah, I'm a little apprehensive about this fact as well. Maybe they will make the legendaries another 'natural' experiment. Like Mew/Mewtwo.

xxkaylabby
May 20th, 2010, 04:26 PM
yea they're new
they have different types
look;
[ignore the green circles i was obbsessed]
http://i47.tinypic.com/34gptl0.jpg

Brockoli
May 20th, 2010, 04:26 PM
How about, Angels and Demons? Suits Black and White I think.

That's a awesome one! Nice Thinking!

Cherrim
May 20th, 2010, 04:30 PM
How could they possibly come up with new ideas? They've already got...

Time, Space and Shadows
http://cache.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/139993_S/Dialga-Palkia-and-Giratina.jpg

Willpower, Knowledge and Emotion
http://www.pokegraph.com/galeries/albums/userpics/10002/pokesafari023_yuxie_mesprit_azelf.PNG

Every Natural Element
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/3691/articuno2jf.jpg

Nature Itself
http://www.animeyume.com/pokemon/pkemerald.jpg

Life and Death
http://www.pokemontrash.com/platine/images/darkrai/Darkrai%20et%20Cresselia_html_60a5678b.pnghttp://images.wikia.com/es.pokemon/images/5/50/Darkrai.png

and GOD!
http://media.photobucket.com/image/arceus/diando/arceus.png
Merged your thread into the "running out of ideas" thread since they mostly cover the same topic.

Brockoli
May 20th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Why do you always claim my threads as you own? WHY?!

Waki Tobaye
May 20th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Life and Death
Darkrai DOES NOT represent Death
And Cresselia DOES NOT represent Life
Those concepts (life and death) could be a good option for the new legendary duo, along with the Ying-Yang idea and the Angels and Demons ones.

Running out of ideas? I don't think so; they've added some good things in both Gen III and Gen IV, and I expect it to be the same in Gen V...
About Pokémon, the only one I don't like (of the five we have right now) is Zoroark(the one I though was gonna be great) and my favorite is Tsutaaja.
I noted that these Pokémon have a very different look, style maybe, that makes them look different from past gens. Look at Nidoran and then at Zorua. Or look at Squirtle and then at Mijumaru. See what I mean?

Volroc
May 20th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Why do you always claim my threads as you own? WHY?!

your wrong Darkria represents the dark half of the moon
and cresselia represents the light half

basically new VS full moon

インフェルノの津波
May 20th, 2010, 05:23 PM
What? HELL NO

Look, there are over a billion species of animals on the planet, and thousands of legends as well. Look on Deviant Art to see what kind of Pokemon can be made.

Running out of ideas? Pfft, yeah right. They also said they want to stop at Gen 6, BTW.

Aureol
May 20th, 2010, 06:23 PM
If the starters are the standard, yes, they are running out of ideas. On the flipside, Zorua and Zoroark are quite well-done. So, it could be either way for me.

Volroc
May 20th, 2010, 06:26 PM
What? HELL NO

Look, there are over a billion species of animals on the planet, and thousands of legends as well. Look on Deviant Art to see what kind of Pokemon can be made.

Running out of ideas? Pfft, yeah right. They also said they want to stop at Gen 6, BTW.

if they really end it at gen6, they will make gen7 the remake generation lol
every region will be upgraded then lol

xDaisuke0
May 20th, 2010, 08:10 PM
If so many on DevArt and such sites, that create Fakemon have better ideas then them, then yes they ARE losing creativity.
The creators on DevArt that i know of have such great ideas that I wish were in the game or the creators to think up something to that level.

Kingler5
May 20th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Wow! now that I think about it, they don't seem to be really WORKING at the moment...

I mean when was the last pokemon with CLAWS for Arceus' sake!??!?!?!?

actually, you're right, they have drained all of the emotions possibly thinked of

SolarAbusoru
May 20th, 2010, 10:54 PM
There is one very realistic and simple answer to your question as to whether they are running out of ideas, and that answer is:

No

Scales
May 20th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I thought Nintendo were the leading forerunners in recycling.

loliwin
May 20th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Umm...no. Game Freak wouldnt run out of ideas, they wouldve quit the series now if they did. XD

Ninja Caterpie
May 21st, 2010, 12:37 AM
Unoriginal is wrong. No, it's not unoriginal. In fact, the way they're making these Pokemon is far from unoriginal.

Good, no, I can't say that, they're not GOOD, per se, but they're original. I mean, an illusion fox is a lot more original than a poisonous snake.

fishyfins
May 21st, 2010, 01:45 AM
i dont believe they are running out of ideas, an i dont believe they will anytime soon. whether you like the designs or not is entirely up to you as a person. im sure that there is more than one designer working on designing the new pokes, and they will all give slightly different takes on what a pokemon should be, and look like. sometimes it works for a person, sometimes not. for me personally, there are what i would consider poorly designed pokemon, and well desiged pokemon, and they exist in all generations for me. even back in red/bue, there were pokemon i considered poorly designed, such as Electobuzz, executtor and the machop line. gold and siver had houndour an houndoom, amogst others. Ruby and Saphire had spinda and swalot. Diamond/pearl had the godaweful Lucario that makes me die inside when i see it. yet all generations hve had good pokemon designs as well!

even in the 5 pokes we know of from gen 5 atm, i see good and bad. i like Zorua, its evolution, and the grass starter. the firepig isnt great, but the otter needs killing with fire. im sure there will be many other great designs, and some bad ones as well. its all just personal choice and what you as the person sees as "pokemon"

Tomoraider
May 21st, 2010, 04:39 AM
I dont think they are running out of ideas, I think its actually good they are making new pokemon that are similar to older ones, because then there are more species of same pokemon, like in real life there there are a lot of different animals of one species. It would be kind of bad if every pokemon was different.

Cjdamon042
May 21st, 2010, 05:16 AM
I think their main issues with designing Pokemon are the eyes and all the useless stuff they throw onto Pokemon. They're way over the top these days and most of the eyes they use are also rather evil looking...or something, not sure, but they look odd.

I understand that with the newer hardware they can add more to the designs, but sometimes they throw too much on them. I'd rather they tone down the designs a bit and keep them relatively simple. I also wish they would stop making pointless evolutions for older Pokemon. Rhyperior...really? If you're going to evolve Rhydon, don't make it look stupid.

Talli
May 21st, 2010, 05:25 AM
Yes, cause alot of pokemon are just copies

linkinpark187
May 21st, 2010, 09:45 AM
Let's shift around and look at another company. Squaresoft/Enix. Do you think they're running out of ideas? Obviously not, or they wouldn't have FFXIV in the pipes right now, would they? And the Final Fantasy series has been around MUCH longer than Pokémon (ok, maybe not MUCH longer, but long enough).

I'm not making a comparison between games other than the fact that there are obviously more than enough ideas to last both companies a lifetime. Chances are Pokémon isn't going to be going anywhere for a long while.

Yingxue
May 21st, 2010, 09:46 AM
I think that there is some fantastic fan art and ideas out there including whats underneath the spoiler of this post. I think that they should take advantage of this and hold competitions for pokemon designs and as an award you get your name in the credits of the game. For much less the fans will do much more, and I think it would really spice up the pokemon selection.

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/815/wishliststarters.jpg

I think the first and the last ideas in this picture are fantastic, but the middle fire starters are abysmal, I hate how people feel the need to 'decorate' fakemon with jewels. (It seems to be a common thing...)

Mortalis
May 21st, 2010, 10:03 AM

Alrighty, lets see you make some amazing looking Pokemon that match to the ranks of awesomeness compared to Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur. Hm?

You can have your opinion, but I believe your opinion is much to stretched. Seeing as they have only released 5 Pokemon so far, you're judging it off those 5, saying that they are running out of ideas ... No. They are not. Go work for them and give them your ideas and not be lazy about it and only expect god material from them.

Uhm, the Grass Starter is a snake, yes. Perhaps you should know that snake's used to have legs in the more ancient times. The grass starter is more creative then you thought, yes? It is based off of a Sestojai Snake, which before the Renaissance times in Italy, had legs and small arms to move around. As time continued, their offspring's developed not having arms because a predator may have bitten off these arms and legs, and the children inherited it, making snakes what they are today.

So before you go criticizing them about creativity, look further into the line of where the Pokemon's origin came from. Thanks.

Dominus Temporis
May 21st, 2010, 12:02 PM
Ah, the age-old complaint of "they're running out of ideas!" Simultaneously my favorite and least favorite of all ridiculous claims about Pokemon. It was summed up exceptionally well earlier on in the topic (I happen to like Dunsparce though, but I digress), so really I can't say a whole lot more.

Seriously, every generation has their ups and downs, design-wise. Take a look at first-gen. How many evolutions there were just "add more heads" or "make it bigger"? Nowadays there seems to be some actual growth and change going on when Pokemon evolve. Like... Riolu to Lucario. To me, there seems to be an actual maturation from child to adult there. But a lot of people hate it because... I don't even know, apparently because it's new and that somehow automatically makes things bad.

You know, a lot of people deny it, but I am convinced that nostalgia really blinds a lot a lot of fans to the fact that the designs have expanded over the years. Face it, if Rhyperior had been there all along, you'd freaking love it. (I don't understand Rhyperior hate, by the way. It could've been spikier, but... I don't see what's so bad there.) I think the reason a lot of earlier mons got evolutions in Gen IV is because after ten years or so, fans might start to forget about the older guys, or in the case of new fans not be familiar with them at all, and so ignore them for later Pokemon. So they give evolutions to make them fresh and appealing to gamers, and you get the people who are convinced Game Freak has a personal vendetta against them and their childhood.

I don't feel like my childhood's been ruined at all. Then again, mine wasn't that great, so maybe I just have a different perspective on it. Either way, I think that all Pokemon fans really need to take a look at the TV Tropes pages for "Fan Dumb" and "Unpleasable Fanbase" because these accusations got old two generations ago.

Cyberglass
May 21st, 2010, 01:17 PM
If anything, the Pokemon have gotten MORE original with the newer generations, and I've noticed that most of the people who disliked Gen. III and IV Pokemon disliked them not because they were too much like previous Pokemon, but because they were so DIFFERENT.

PiPVoda
May 21st, 2010, 06:21 PM
**sigh**

I'm not going to burden any of you by repeating what the others said. All I am going to say is:
1) 493 pkmn, yep count 'em, and over 1.5 million discovered species on Earth, just discovered there are plenty left including extinct ones and possibly new ones that come about in the future (evolution didn't stop just when homosapiens started roaming the Earth).

2) Like Waffle-san mentioned they are becoming more realistic. So many creatures on this Earth to base designs off of, and so many more with all-ready made designs that could be designed again or re-improved.

3) The evidence to back up all of my claims: http://www.currentresults.com/Environment-Facts/Plants-Animals/number-species.php (http://www.currentresults.com/Environment-Facts/Plants-Animals/number-species.php)

4) I'm outta here for now!

A Pixy
May 21st, 2010, 07:44 PM
Nintendo? Out of ideas?

That's like saying they ran out of greed. xD

PokeMan22
May 21st, 2010, 08:08 PM
I think they might be running out of ideas cause I sometimes like making up my own pokemon, but I have trouble to think of ideas. Now that doesn't mean that they are running out of ideas, it is just harder to make the Pokemon look different. Take Piplup and the new water Pokemon for example, they look very similar. Also, it's going to be harder to mke up cries for the Pokemon, because if you listen very carefully, the Paras cry sounds very similar to Mewtwo's cry.

~Azure-
May 21st, 2010, 08:29 PM

True. Wurmple > Weedle > Caterpie All the same.
Pidgey > Starly. You get the point. :S.

Waffle-San
May 21st, 2010, 09:20 PM
There is one very realistic and simple answer to your question as to whether they are running out of ideas, and that answer is:

No

+1

True. Wurmple > Weedle > Caterpie All the same.
Pidgey > Starly. You get the point. :S.

That's not GF running out of ideas. That's lazyness/sticking with a proven formula. They're all pretty much the same but some fans are comfortable knowing that they get to catch some sort of bug and bird from the start, than the more complex Pokemon can come later. And as Tomoraider put so nicely:I dont think they are running out of ideas, I think its actually good they are making new pokemon that are similar to older ones, because then there are more species of same pokemon, like in real life there there are a lot of different animals of one species. It would be kind of bad if every pokemon was different.

Also it's easy to pick out fan art and say how much better it is, but there's a reason for that. A reason beyond that of becoming more judgemental of regions with a smaller basis and a reason beyond pure nostalgia. I can easily go to Deviant Art and find a couple designs that I deem as amazing and show everyone else who cares to look how awesome they are. But in doing that I'd be looking over tonnes that I find uninteresting or poorly designed, the difference is, I'll never have to look at those again and I can forget them immediatly. GF does a pretty good job of making 100+ good Pokemon each generation. If you're going to use fanart as example you should also recognise all the stinkers. The fact of the matter is though, when it's unofficial, you never have to think about those stinkers again, which sometimes makes fanart seem better than it really is. =/

Wasn't hating on fan art by the way, I love fanart but it's important to be realistic.

yaywalter
May 21st, 2010, 11:29 PM
Well, in case you didn't notice, Pokemon designs have been mostly horrible since Gen III. Heck, there were a handful of stinkers in Gen II.

But Gen V, from what I've seen, seems to be the worst. At least the starter Pokemon were cool in Gen III and IV.

But really can you blame 'em? There's only so much creativity to be had creating cutesy Pokemon... after a few hundred monsters, the designs are bound to start getting ridiculous just to stay "fresh".

I personally think they should stop making new Pokemon for a while and just make more pronounced gender differences for the already existing Pokemon... perhaps even have different genders have different movesets.

Waffle-San
May 22nd, 2010, 12:28 AM
Well, in case some people agree with me, I think Pokemon designs have been mostly horrible since Gen III. Heck, in my opinion there were a handful of stinkers in Gen II.

But Gen V, from what I've seen, seems to be the worst. At least to me the starter Pokemon were cool in Gen III and IV.

Me contradicting myself in some far off claims.

I personally think they should stop making new Pokemon for a while and just make more pronounced gender differences for the already existing Pokemon... perhaps even have different genders have different movesets.

I think that looks better now...to me at least. I personally love gen III's pokemon and think gen V could be the best yet. Their eaisly my favourite batch of starters.

PiPVoda
May 22nd, 2010, 06:08 AM
Well, in case you didn't notice, Pokemon designs have been mostly horrible since Gen III. Heck, there were a handful of stinkers in Gen II.

But Gen V, from what I've seen, seems to be the worst. At least the starter Pokemon were cool in Gen III and IV.

But really can you blame 'em? There's only so much creativity to be had creating cutesy Pokemon... after a few hundred monsters, the designs are bound to start getting ridiculous just to stay "fresh".

You haven't even seen all of Gen V's pokemon, heck not even the evos of the starters so I don't see how you could say it seems to be the worst. I personally loved pokemon in Gen 3 and after. This is when the real 'creativity' started IMO. The first two gens were mainly how to say it...simpley-designed. You can take this as a good or bad thing if you want.

I think they might be running out of ideas cause I sometimes like making up my own pokemon, but I have trouble to think of ideas. Now that doesn't mean that they are running out of ideas, it is just harder to make the Pokemon look different. Take Piplup and the new water Pokemon for example, they look very similar. Also, it's going to be harder to mke up cries for the Pokemon, because if you listen very carefully, the Paras cry sounds very similar to Mewtwo's cry.

Well maybe you just aren't as creative as some of the professionals that Game Freak has working for them :P. Yeah the biggest resemblance between Mijumaru and Piplup definitely is the big head IMO, but I expect some pokemon to have resemblances--maybe they're apart of the same family of pokemon.

Cries shouldn't be that hard to make. they could always alter voices of other pokemon or even use human voices (over 6 billoin of us and all--or like 99%--have voices that sound nothing alike). If they don't do that then just take some voices from animals not used yet. I mean I see Discovery giving 'extinct' animals voices all the time in their documentaries so if they can do it Game Freak can :D

Aureol
May 22nd, 2010, 09:20 AM
Why is everyone challenging the ones that say Game Freak's running out of ideas to make their own original ones? It doesn't take a singer to know when someone else is singing poorly.

Also, there ARE tons of different species of animals in the animal kingdom, but does that mean that Pokemon has to mimic that? There are over 200 species of monkeys, but does that mean even 30 different monkey Pokemon are all original?

It is also true that we haven't seen the whole Gen. 5 Pokemon roster, but I thought the point of this thread was to decide whether they were running out of ideas or not based on what we have. Based on what we have, yes, they aren't doing so hot (in fact, it might be worse then Gen. 4 :|). Obviously, the starters in particular could be rather poor ideas compared to the rest, and this generation might end up not being so bad. I think Zorua and Zoroark are good, but the starters are abysmal (although the fire-pig is original).

They aren't completely out of ideas yet, but I'm afraid that half of this generation will be redos of earlier Pokemon.

Dr Glocktor
May 22nd, 2010, 11:40 AM
The pokemon look great for a game designed for ten year olds.

Bolded for emphasis.

redskinsfan
May 22nd, 2010, 12:09 PM
i really hate how they always make terrible pokemon at the beginnig i.e. sentret, furret, zigzagoon, linoone, poochyena, and ****ing bidoof, they're all useless. thats why Gen1 was the best and ever since then pokemon has gotten worse, except for Gen3, i loved gen 3.

thepsynergist
May 22nd, 2010, 12:32 PM
Hey back in vanilla Pokemon, we had trouble even knowing what they looked like. At least now they are indiscernable pixels on the screen.

Cyberglass
May 22nd, 2010, 12:34 PM
i really hate how they always make terrible pokemon at the beginnig i.e. sentret, furret, zigzagoon, linoone, poochyena, and ****ing bidoof, they're all useless. thats why Gen1 was the best and ever since then pokemon has gotten worse, except for Gen3, i loved gen 3.

Wait, so rattata ISN'T useless?

Dr Glocktor
May 22nd, 2010, 12:48 PM
Wait, so rattata ISN'T useless?

Nostalgia is a powerful force, clouding minds, swaying opinions. It is the ultimate power. That's why games like HG/SS and FR/LG could sell so well.

Shiari Xero
May 22nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Gamefreak is not running out of ideas. Come on look at the first Gen. Some evolutions were three of the original pokemon. Dugtrio, Magneton? How is that "unique"? People are just overly picky. They like what they like and think everyone else should like that exact same thing, then they go make threads bashing the games before they are even fully revealed. Its kind of pitiful. So i have some words for people like that.

If you dont like the new gen's, grab a gameboy or an emulator and.
PLAY. GEN. 1.
over and over again, and just stop being so nitpicky. These guys are taking ALL this time to work on this new game, so quickly after the release of HG/SS, just to keep everyone happy and not ****ing, and this is how you guys thank them?

McNoob
May 22nd, 2010, 01:10 PM
First off, Bidoof is one of the most underrated and under appreciated pokemon in the universe. One day you will all see why...

Second, I think they are running out of ideas, mainly with the storyline. Yeah, the Team Galactic stuff was pretty cool in D/P, but it's all the same story. "Novice trainer starts out in small town, where local professor introduces him to pokemon to fulfill a pokedex, and then is sent out on a journey to battle gym leaders and enemies, until finally he conquers the Elite 4." Don't get me wrong, I like playing that storyline, but after four generations, it just gets monotonous.

Also, I think the regions have been lacking a little. I loved Ruby/Sapphire because it felt like I was actually on a journey, rather than just hopping from town to town. Unfortunately the D/P region seemed too bland to me (except for Snowpoint), and Platinum was a joke with the new climate. I will admit you can't really do much with HG/SS, but they could've shaken up the area a bit more than they did. I am excited for the new "3D" environment though.

As for pokemon designs, you're always going to get your batch of good and bad ones (I'm looking at you Probopass!). I just they don't all look as ridiculous as the water panda.

Hydrath
May 23rd, 2010, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't say running out of ideas for pokemon, but I do prefer most fakemon over gen 4 pokemon. I really don't like the direction they've taken legendary pokemon.

U_Flame
May 23rd, 2010, 03:53 PM
Ideas are endless. However, they`ve used pretty much everything in the known universe so I think crack is the last source of ideas.

Cresselia
May 23rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
I think they start off with a strong foundation of ideas in mind, but then slowly fizzle out as deadlines approach. It's a common controversy for all creators, though I have strong hopes for this generation.

HunterX101
May 23rd, 2010, 04:40 PM
How could you run out of Ideas for new Pokemon.... Im sure everybody has Pokemon they can Picture in their Minds

Mifune
May 23rd, 2010, 04:43 PM
It's kinda early to decide whether or not they're running out of ideas - I mean, there's so many animals to base off of, and with the 17 types, they're bound to look similar.

Xephyr
May 23rd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Everybody that is trashing on the starters is so stupid. I personally think Charmander is dumb. OH WAIT IT EVOLVES INTO A GIANT EARTH DESTROYING DRAGON THING.

You can't say the starters suck and are unimaginative. For all you know, the grass starter's final evolution is a giant Grass/Dragon sea serpent that learns Draco Meteor at level 50. And the water starter turns into a pwnage Water/Fighting Otter with battle armor and a laser cannon. Shut up.

Game Freak isn't running out of ideas. Go google "fakemon" and you'll find AT LEAST thirty full fakedexes that are all awesome and original. If you're saying those people are smarter than Game Freak, you're an idiot, because Game Freak is the one who's making the millions of dollars, not them.

[/topic]

Mifune
May 23rd, 2010, 05:17 PM
And the water starter turns into a pwnage Water/Fighting Otter with battle armor and a laser cannon.

That. Would. Be. So. EPIC. xD

Haza
May 23rd, 2010, 05:24 PM
There are few Pokemon that I'd complain about when it comes to originality (Bronzong, Probopass, and Lickylicky come to mind), but in general I am really happy with what we have gotten so far and from what I can tell of Generation 5, it is going to be one of the most original regions yet. I don't think it is quite possible for them to run out of ideas at this point since there are so many things in the world to be inspired from, especially animals and cities... the franchise could truly last forever.

Xephyr
May 23rd, 2010, 05:25 PM
That. Would. Be. So. EPIC. xD

Lawl. I have to agree with you on this one.

PiPVoda
May 23rd, 2010, 05:52 PM
I think they start off with a strong foundation of ideas in mind, but then slowly fizzle out as deadlines approach. It's a common controversy for all creators, though I have strong hopes for this generation.

I'm more scared of them running out of gameplay ideas (new moves, story line, gameplay after story line, etc) instead of ideas for pokemon.

U_Flame
May 23rd, 2010, 07:28 PM
I think when they run out of ideas, they should buy (or get) permission from hackers to use certain amazing Fakemon. *cough* cough* Angeallen *cough* *cough*

Aureol
May 23rd, 2010, 08:12 PM
Nostalgia is a powerful force, clouding minds, swaying opinions. It is the ultimate power. That's why games like HG/SS and FR/LG could sell so well.

Or maybe we just don't like surfing half the game (I haven't played Gen. 4 yet, although most of the Pokemon designs there put me off). Although some people are swayed by nostalgia, you don't have to be "clouded" to like earlier generations more. I've always said that gameplay has gotten better over time, but Pokemon design has (typically) gotten worse.

And I'm not too sure about the Fakemon idea. Might be useful, but at the same time I don't feel good about it.

Waffle-San
May 23rd, 2010, 09:24 PM
The entire point of the following post rests fully on Pokemon designs and no other aspect of the Pokemon game.

Or maybe we just don't like surfing half the game (I haven't played Gen. 4 yet, although most of the Pokemon designs there put me off). Although some people are swayed by nostalgia, you don't have to be "clouded" to like earlier generations more. I've always said that gameplay has gotten better over time, but Pokemon design has (typically) gotten worse.

And I'm not too sure about the Fakemon idea. Might be useful, but at the same time I don't feel good about it.

You don't have to be "clouded" to like earlier generations more for sure but I think there's some sense of "cloudedness" when people start hating on future generations, not only in comparison to older games but also when pure nostalgia is (also) evident as it is in the following posts.

To me, they almost certainly started running out of ideas with the generations III and IV. Just look at I and II and see the startling differences between the Pokemon... their designs are so much more alive and feel so much more genuine to what their successors felt like. In fairness she/he (sorry didn't look) went on to state she's impressed with the current gens pokemon.

a bit zoura looks like a emo evee.Tsutaaja as you said looks sorta like treeko.

Not so much this one but I included it anyways.
Maye not running out of idea per say, but the pokemon don't really...look like...pokemon anymore. I mean, I don't really see the aspect of pokemon anymore. THey kind of remind me of Digimon and pokemon combined. xD

In all honesty?

Yes. Well, not completely yes, but yes. I mean, no, but yes. I mean... what?

You can look back at any generation and see its high points and low points. IN EVERY generation. It just seems that as the generations progress, the high points are less and the low points are more.

On the subject of the new starters - All I see is a Treecko variant, a medley of Tutwig and Spoink, and an ugly panda thing that vaguely resembles an otter.

I like otters.

That thing makes me weep for the sake of otters. TT^TT

I really, really didn't want to judge the entire generation on the starters. I though, let's wait, let's see what they offer us, and wait, because they might have epic evolutions. The early, common Pokémon might be good. They'll be a hell of a lot better than Bidoof. Maybe the legendaries will have an epic backstory? Maybe. Let's wait!

But seriously, GF. If you don't want me to make a snap decision, please, please, give me something that will convince me otherwise. ~♪

Everything else I think I summed up with:

Exactly the way generations are judged and I really hope Generation V isn't judged that way cause so far it's awesome.

And as far as posts like Daisuke's here
If so many on DevArt and such sites, that create Fakemon have better ideas then them, then yes they ARE losing creativity.
The creators on DevArt that i know of have such great ideas that I wish were in the game or the creators to think up something to that level.

I think, though as awesome as fakemon can be has to be looked at from both sides...which I summed up here:

Also it's easy to pick out fan art and say how much better it is, but there's a reason for that. A reason beyond that of becoming more judgemental of regions with a smaller basis and a reason beyond pure nostalgia. I can easily go to Deviant Art and find a couple designs that I deem as amazing and show everyone else who cares to look how awesome they are. But in doing that I'd be looking over tonnes that I find uninteresting or poorly designed, the difference is, I'll never have to look at those again and I can forget them immediatly. GF does a pretty good job of making 100+ good Pokemon each generation. If you're going to use fanart as example you should also recognise all the stinkers. The fact of the matter is though, when it's unofficial, you never have to think about those stinkers again, which sometimes makes fanart seem better than it really is. =/

Wasn't hating on fan art by the way, I love fanart but it's important to be realistic.

But really I think Illustration said it best:
I actually think that the Pokemon are getting more creative as the generations pass by.
Just because a Pokemon has some similarities with another Pokemon doesn't mean it's a knock-off; just because people think a Pokemon is ugly doesn't mean its design is uncreative (Probopass, Dunsparce, etc.)

Either way, I understand that people have their opinions and I certainly won't change them just as no one will make me believe that Gen III and Gen IV were terribly designed Pokemon wise.
But I get bothered when people state how much they hate latter Pokemon because of their unimaginative design. I mean dislike them because they don't appeal to you personally but not because of a purely nostalgia stated opinion. Or if anything say that GF is getting lazy in their pokemon designs instead of, "they've run out of ideas." I think realistically and Pokemon wise that's pretty much impossible to do at this point. There ends my plee to the Pokemon community. :P

thewinna
May 23rd, 2010, 10:03 PM
i think they r running out of ideas. they put 2 much into gen 4. a god! but isshu is very far away. they might give mewtwo a story! its to early 2 pick.

Sweet Smoochum
May 23rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
Everybody that is trashing on the starters is so stupid. I personally think Charmander is dumb. OH WAIT IT EVOLVES INTO A GIANT EARTH DESTROYING DRAGON THING.

You can't say the starters suck and are unimaginative. For all you know, the grass starter's final evolution is a giant Grass/Dragon sea serpent that learns Draco Meteor at level 50. And the water starter turns into a pwnage Water/Fighting Otter with battle armor and a laser cannon. Shut up.

Game Freak isn't running out of ideas. Go google "fakemon" and you'll find AT LEAST thirty full fakedexes that are all awesome and original. If you're saying those people are smarter than Game Freak, you're an idiot, because Game Freak is the one who's making the millions of dollars, not them.

[/topic]

I love this post. <333

All pokemon have a specific look to them that makes them Pokemon. Some of the "fakemon" I've seen would never be able to fit into the species of Pokemon. It just doesn't have that feel to it.

Look at Hoenn, the designs were completely different compared to Kanto and Johto, yet some resembled the old ones so it would still feel like Pokemon. Do you honestly expect there to be only one kind of butterfly or turtle in the world? There's many different species of animals. Many pokemon are based on animals.

What if you like crabs and wanted a crab Pokemon? Do you really want to use a Krabby in every single Pokemon game? No, b/c you'll eventually get bored of it. So, now you have a Corphish that you like a lot better that has a better movepool and in your opinion a more awesome evolution.

I mean, some of us get sick of using/seeing the same Pokemon over and over. (For example, Tentacool.) Doesn't anyone want a new jellyfish Pokemon to replace it that could have a much better movepool? Like maybe a Water/Psychic or a Water/Dark jellyfish? Or maybe a new bat to replace Zubat? I think bats are cool, but to be honest, I'm tired of Zubat and I already have an awesome Crobat. What if I wanted a team of bat Pokemon?

Some people like Pidgey while others hate it so they use Swellow or Honchrow instead.

The reason why some of the 4th gen designs were simple (ex. Bidoof) was because in first gen, many of the designs were simple. Hoenn drifted far away from Kanto/Johto in designs, so Sinnoh brought us back. However, Sinnoh also had some Pokemon that were drastically designed to fit in with Hoenn. Sinnoh gave us an excuse to go back and catch the original Pokemon to evolve them. Personally, I never fully played Red or Blue (hated Red's graphics), so I didn't get the opportunity to use the old Pokemon. My first game was Gold. When I got HGSS, I used the Pokemon that I haven't normally used when I first played Gold and Crystal versions.

I think I remember reading that they only have a specific amount of time to come up with ideas (probably for the plot), and then whatever they don't get to use, they save it for the next game.

Logiedan
May 23rd, 2010, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't say they're running out of ideas. I'm positive when taking a normal concept,they'll evolve it and make the concept more complex. I just hope their plot will change or at least add an extra storyline to make the game more thrilling than the original plot.

Ryden
May 24th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Running out of ideas? Maybe, but I hope not. I do recall hearing a rumor that this could be the last generation though...so who knows. Though if this is just referring to the designs of the new pokemon, well everyone gen has had there share of pokemon..to put it nicely, aren't appealing to the average player. Though alot of those bias people that simply slander the new pokemon because they're new seem do do it because they dislike how bright and cheery they have become. back in first gen, with Red and Blue (and Green) Lots of the Pokemon sprites looked meaner and more dangerous then there modern counter part sprites. This personally doesn't bother me though.
As for lacking originality...well yes, I can kinda agree there. it does seem some newer Pokemon over the ears were release for the sake of releasing more pokemon. All for profit and marketing.

As the generations have gone on, I have noticed my liking of the pokemon from each has been a decreasing number, but at the very least I do find some gems within each gen I end up really liking. and the fact I don't care for most the others the newer gens offer it doesn't stop me from playing or enjoying them. The same will probably go for Black and White as well.

To be more direct about this thread, out of the five 5th gens that have been revealed... Zorua and Zoroark look like they'll be pretty cool, and as for the starters, the grass one looks alright, the fire has some amusing nicknames that comes to mind..and the water...well lets just say I don't expect it to be too popular

Anyways thats my two cent son the matter, aside from I think the idea of fully animated battles to be pretty awesome.

Meegz0
May 24th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Some new pokemon in the newer games are very well invented...but

Alot more of the new pokemon arn't that great D: Now I've only seen a few of the new ones for black and white aswell, but it dosen't mean they're running out of ideas. I'm just hoping that this time around they're taking their time with the designs to make us some amazing pokemon. :> But that's what I beleive.

ThePinkDragon
May 24th, 2010, 02:13 AM
No, I don't think they are losing Ideas at all. I mean, people say the only Pokemon is Red and Blue, but I think all of them are great. I think the designs for the Pokemon we have seen so far for Generation 5 are awesome! So I think they aren't losing ideas at all.

I agree with this. "Original Fans" seem to be the ones most likely to complain about the new generations. I just read some article comments where people are calling the new starters ugly. Maybe I'm biased because I totally have a thing for pigs and otters, but I think they're adorable.

I think this is a great idea. Pull ideas from fans. There are tons of fans out there who'd kill a man to see their name in the credits of a Pokèmon game!

Infernaped!
May 24th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I think its not so much 'running out of ideas', as the game design is entering a new generation things are looking far different as would be expected, as does the new scenarios and characters, nothing to diss until we've actually played the games..

Ninja Caterpie
May 24th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Many of the points here are simply opinions, and opinions that have nothing to do with the question at hand. It's not "is gamefreak getting bad at designing Pokemon", it's "is gamefreak running out of ideas". Ideas, ideas, ideas. There are hundreds of thousands of species of animals or plants on the Earth, many with incredible diversity. There some hundreds of thousands of different species of animals alone. Of course, many might be similar, but you'd find some incredibly special ones in there. There are also thousands of genuses, and 1113 (according to Wiki) families as well. Families are quite different and individual families could well be diverse enough for individual Pokemon evolution lines. Even if many are similar (eg. Seagulls and ducks might be), there is still much room for animal-based Pokemon.

Of course, there must be dragons and mythological creatures; those can count for some 5-10 Pokemon outside of the Legendaries.

Droidz
May 24th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I remember when Sinnoh came around i was like, those starters look weird.
But then when i got to playing the game i liked a lot of the new pokemon.
I think people sometimes don't give the new pokes a chance.

ThePinkDragon
May 24th, 2010, 03:20 AM
People are going to hate, but the diversity does not come only in their looks. It also comes in their type and their moves.

For instance, I could babble on all day about how weird Togepi looks and he's just a Normal Pokèmon and whatever, but then, surprise! Extrasensory.

Just because they don't look that much different doesn't mean they aren't that much different.

I think people will be pleasantly surprised.

fenyx4
May 24th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I've worried about whether ideas were running out, but I don't think it'll be a concern... Game Freak can always reuse past animals, implement unused ones, and create original concepts. So it'll probably be a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery (times infinity :)) long time before ideas are depleted. And if they ever do run out of ideas, there's always Fakemon.
Seriously, have you seen the awesome Fakemon for Pokemon Garnet Version?

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=197142

Sora's Nobody
May 24th, 2010, 08:48 AM
How can anything resemble a digimon, a pokemons design is whatever you make it out to be. If i worked for gamefreak on the design crew and i drew a circle with "stickman" legs and it got approved, it would be a pokemon no matter how much it looks like a blob with lines sticking out of it!

ichuesther
May 24th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I don't think they're running out of ideas. o.o
I have to say, I don't really like the starter Pokemon for Black and White, but hey, I don't like how a bunch of other Pokemon look like.
I think the only thing that they're "running out" of, is the names for the games.

PiPVoda
May 24th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I don't think they're running out of ideas. o.o
I have to say, I don't really like the starter Pokemon for Black and White, but hey, I don't like how a bunch of other Pokemon look like.
I think the only thing that they're "running out" of, is the names for the games.

Well yeah they're running out of good gem names since they've practically taken all the good ones. I like the names black and white though. They sound relatively simple and have something mysterious behind them. They have other gemstones they could use as well. Ones that I really like are Jade, Amber, Aquarmarine (shorten it to Aqua if they want), Garnet, Cornelian, Onyx, Pyrite, Quartz, Topaz, Tanzite, and Turquoise. There are colors left to be used and soo many shades of a color that could be used too. Other than that they could use chemical elements.

Lanturnista
May 24th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Um, no. I don't think they're running out of ideas. At all.

What we've seen of gen V so far looks, to me, very unique. Pokémon constantly moving, yet still sprites? That epic 3D city? Older characters, one of them looking like a punk girl? Seriously awesome. Also, the Pokémon designs look great so far.

Pikachukid
May 24th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Those who say that GameFreak is running out of ideas with Pokémon really leave me confused. If Pokémon was actually running out of ideas, then the franchise itself would not have gotten so far, so quickly. If anything, they're actually putting in more time and thought with their Pokémon now, than they did before. Looking at designs from the 1st and 2nd Generations alone compared to the 3rd and 4th, Pokémon has evolved. They've become more complex in that they're not simply a cat with just a gold coin on it's forehead for example. They've taken other ideas and other forms to change that, which I think has only made each generation grow.

With only five Pokémon actually "revealed" I think it's a little too soon to jump the gun and say that this Generation will be absolute fail. More so, it's probably going to be the most different, yes, but in a creative way. I mean looking at Tsutaaja, it's based as a Grass Snake Pokémon. With legs and arms, we question how it is based on a snake? Well, that's just the creative part of it all and to see what it evolves into is always questionable. So no, I don't think Pokémon is running out of ideas with Black and White. To me, they're just taking another step up and keeping the generation unique to the others.

Exactly. I was just thinking in my head how pokemon really have evolved from first generation. I mean seriously if you say they ran out of ideas look at pidgey. Its a bird. Looks like any other bird you'd see outside. Raticate? Go take a closer look at a hamster. Ekans for crying out loud is a purple snake! and it's name? snake spelled backwards! These new pokemon are creative so far. (The sea otter looks so cute and it even has a shell in its belly! OH! Creative!) snake with legs, a fire breathing pig! forget the swine flu theres a fire breathing pig! oh and IMO it looks nothing like Spoink.

Sorry guys I think I got a little too worked up. :nervous:

Azzurra
May 24th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I'm sure they've still got some more ideas stored away somewhere. I mean, they're adding new elements to the game we've never even imagined, and I'm sure they're getting letters from special players adding ideas to the game that they considerate. Anything is possible.

midij19
May 24th, 2010, 11:04 PM
it's kinda obvious that the whole pokemon franchise has already ran out of ideas in general. IMHO the best game so far was emerald:quite fun, decently challenging, but most importantly it was fast paced. pokemon that show up only one a week wtf? the farther the games go the more they become like grinding sessions instead actual of games.
where it comes to pokemon they definitely stopped even trying: who cares? fanboys will eat up just about anything the second you put a pokemon stcker on it

Azzurra
May 24th, 2010, 11:09 PM
it's kinda obvious that the whole pokemon franchise has already ran out of ideas in general. IMHO the best game so far was emerald:quite fun, decently challenging, but most importantly it was fast paced. pokemon that show up only one a week wtf? the farther the games go the more they become like grinding sessions instead actual of games.
where it comes to pokemon they definitely stopped even trying: who cares? fanboys will eat up just about anything the second you put a pokemon stcker on it
But features and new types/breeds of Pokemon are added regularly. They're trying to be original when they make the "one Pokemon a week" thing to try and keep it fresh. I say they're doing quite well for doing so this far, and that's commendable.

Waffle-San
May 25th, 2010, 06:31 AM

You have 493 Pokemon nowadays and more to come, it'd be boring if you could catch them all at once. Plus when was Pokemon ever meant to be super fast paced? I mean Emerald is my favourite game too and it took me over 40 hours to beat and that's just how I prefer it but how is that fast paced?

PiPVoda
May 25th, 2010, 12:13 PM

You're entirely wrong. They series is far from running out of ideas. Just because you didn't like some features that it has, like Drifloon only showing up once a week doesn't mean that they're running out of ideas. Honestly you seem to have quite a snobbish attitude. The game developers only did that because Drifloon isn't meant to be an easy obtainable pkmn. I'd say that its like a medium-rare :D one. If you think they're running out of ideas why don't you try to make an entirely new game that upgrades on the features/pokemon we already have now and see how easy it is. No need to bash the developers when they've put a lot of effort into pleasing people (and obviously not everyone can be pleased). Still, there is plenty more to bring in it's just not here yet. I could think of plenty of things off the top of my head just don't feel like posting them. May I ask you a question, since you seem to love complaining about pkmn games becoming more like 'grind sessions' why would you still play them?

I agree with you on Emerald being a good game though. It wasn't fast-paced IMHO. I don't think there is a specific amount of time to get through pokemon games (emerald or not). One person could zoom through in a few days and others like me just take their sweet time.

Charizard★
June 30th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I do. Kind of at least. A lot of the new generation 5 Pokemon remind me of Digimon which I hate with a passion. Let's hope all the new Pokemon are not like that.

Ravecat
June 30th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Not in the slightest.

Nostalgia.

Also, the fact that they probably designed all of the Pokémon during the same period, or at least had a fair amount of overlap defeats the idea that they could be running out of ideas.

I don't get why people seeing something they don't like = "OH MY GOD GAMEFREAK IS RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS POKEMON IS RUINED FOREVER."
It's sad that this quote isn't even exaggerating. . .

xxChazxx
June 30th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Over 500 Pokemon?

Of course they're running out of ideas. This is why they should hire more creative people to think some up.

JP
June 30th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Not in the slightest.

Nostalgia.

Also, the fact that they probably designed all of the Pokémon during the same period, or at least had a fair amount of overlap defeats the idea that they could be running out of ideas.

I don't get why people seeing something they don't like = "OH MY GOD GAMEFREAK IS RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS POKEMON IS RUINED FOREVER."
It's sad that this quote isn't even exaggerating. . .

I completely agree. It all comes down to how appealing a certain individual finds the design(s). As soon as you start seeing designs you don't like, you begin to think they're losing what made them special in the past. I guess it's only natural though.

There are some designs I'm not too crazy about, but in no way do I think GF is running out of ideas. Plus, all you need is one little spark of an idea to expand greatly on, and I think GF is full of these little sparks. ;)

Keyaki
June 30th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I completely agree. It all comes down to how appealing a certain individual finds the design(s). As soon as you start seeing designs you don't like, you begin to think they're losing what made them special in the past. I guess it's only natural though.

There are some designs I'm not too crazy about, but in no way do I think GF is running out of ideas. Plus, all you need is one little spark of an idea to expand greatly on, and I think GF is full of these little sparks. ;)
I agree completely as well.

§acred†Beo!
June 30th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I personally think people should get off Gamefreaks back. There evolving the game which is something everyone complained about them not doing before Black and White. Also you can't judge the new pokemon yet just by 20 something designs.. Give them time to grow on you, I personally think most of them look awesome, and this is coming from a kid who played Blue when it was first released.

Went
June 30th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I do. Kind of at least. A lot of the new generation 5 Pokemon remind me of Digimon which I hate with a passion. Let's hope all the new Pokemon are not like that.

Please, don't revive threads when they haven't got any posts for over a month D: