• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Feminism

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
Years
  • So feminism is a pretty hot topic in today's society. I don't think that anyone would honestly say (without trolling) that women don't deserve the same rights, obviously, but some people say that feminists and feminism are getting ridiculous, and going way overboard. I'm just curious to see what you all think of modern day feminism.

P.S. It's 1:30 AM here, so I'm a bit too tired to make an intelligent post at the moment, I just had the idea to make this thread right now. I'll put up my opinion later.

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 1, 2013
    Feminism

tl;dr: Feminists are retarded

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Wow. Um... really it's women like these that give the plight a very, very bad name.

Actually these days I don't really want to identify with "feminism" due to the trend these days for it to mean "equality over men" (haha oxymoron) instead of "equality with men" and instead prefer to say that I support "equality of the sexes"... I don't say feminism any more. In some branches feminism is going way too far. Honestly I don't understand this whole logic of "we can do what we like because your kind oppressed us in the past!" or "we can do what we like because your kind oppresses us even though you as a person seem to be actually pretty all right we can still shun you because you're one of them!"

Can't be sexist against men? Oh please. That's just... I don't know, I can't follow that logic.

Even though feminism once meant and still does mean equality for females with men, you will always get those who now think it advocates "payback against men" or "female superiority" so I choose my words wisely.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • There are different kinds of feminism. The only form that's even worth anyone's time is better known (to me, at least) as equalism, or the idea that nobody should be discriminated against on the basis of sex, race, etc. I consider myself one of these types.

However, the people in Harrison's image give the entire feminist movement a bad name.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • Harrison H
    Spoiler:

That was pure stupidity, and I laughed so hard. This is true though. Idiots have a single idea of sexism ingrained in their minds and it really pisses me off. If I may quote Bob Kelso: is it sexist to hold a door open for a women?

I believe in feminine rights, I do. In my opinion, women are honestly better built than men. Their bodies are perfect for caring for a child, survival, and for getting mates. In fact, all invertebraes are inherently Female unless they get the Male chromosone.

But I think that if they get rights, we get rights too. Why can't a guy be a Gynecologist without getting made fun of? Why are guys depicted as idiots in beer commercials, but girls aren't? On that same note, why are all guys depicted as sex-driven, athletic, stupid monkeys, when only 20% of guys are? Those kinds of guys make it hard for smart caring guys to get dates!

But this topic is about women's rights. Yes, I believe in women's rights. Similar to the Nurse/Secretary/Gynecologist issue, women should be able to be Firemen/Policemen/Soldiers without being made fun of or belittled. Several women are being cheated out of money due to their gender, something they can't help. About two years ago a woman in Ohio found out that her co-worker who had the same job as her was getting payed more because he was male. She had been working there for 7 years and he was only around for 6 months. She sued her boss and I think you'll be happy to know she won the case.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Those kinds of guys make it hard for smart caring guys to get dates!
    You kidding? Those kind of guys make it easy to get a date because they look like idiots and make the rest of us look even better. I have yet to meet a person with those qualifications have trouble getting a date, provided he (or she) actually made the effort and was forthcoming (and that's the mistake a lot of people make; they aren't forthcoming). Maybe those people will get rejected by a few people, but that's part of the game (if you care to call it that).

Sorry, guess I went off on a tangent.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Feminists back then were something I could actually support, seeing as how they were fighting for equal rights and such.
    Feminists now are just stupid. They're really irritating at how they blather mindlessly about equality but then say things that does nothing but shows their own sexism. It reminds of those moments when you get an anti-gay politician who does something like ask for sex from males in an airport bathroom.

Of course there are many people exempt from this, but the more vocal feminists are usually the stupid ones, so you really can't blame me for making such a rapid generalization.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Many people say gay rights will crumble society as we know it. I counter that womens' rights already did that long ago.

Reclaim the sanctity of male rights!

Years
  • Well, if you put it as 'that women don't deserve the same rights', I would have to disagree on some levels.

However, no matter how much the female population might moan and shout, they will just have to accept that men do some things better than woman. It is the same for woman, as they can do some things better than us. I am not even joking. I hate girls that moan about not being in the kitchen and blah blah. The fact is, that is what has happened the past, how many years?!

I know the world is changing, but it won't be changing so much that roles switch.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • The actual definition of feminism is the movement which attempts to achieve equality for women in society, and I feel that the more extreme feminists take it over the top and too far, and in that they essentially defeat the purpose of their aims; they act as if women should be superior.

I'm not against women being equal to men, I myself have found it interesting in some societies that do, since I have grown up in an environment that taught me both genders are equal and I've never known anything different. I just hate the double standards idea that seems to drag the whole issue down.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I think that sexism is a really bad problem. For instance, I think it is bad how all of the really nasty insults can only be used on girls, such as the ones that suggest girls have been going out with too many boys. There are no insults for boys that are bad like that. It is very sexist.

I think there should be more insults for boys.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    It should be about freedom of choice. The choice for a man or woman to get on and do what they wish with their life without being treated differently due to their sex organs. To not be judged in society, the justice system and the workplace by their biological sex but as individuals with their own personal merits and weaknesses. It is completely irrelevant if more men are better at physically demanding job X than women, because there will still be some women more than up to the task, and some men who are not. Everyone should be assessed in this hypothetical example by their very own abilities and NOT by whether they're male or female. On the flip-side, I don't believe anyone should have any special treatment out of sympathy (or more political reasons) for their weaknesses. If you can't do the job, you can't do the job. Should have nothing to do with your sex.

Unfortunately, some employers don't prioritize towards the best workers. Either making special allowances for certain women (or men) who are not up to the job so they don't seem sexist, or disregarding applicants of a particular sex before they've had the chance to prove themselves (or even if they have proven capable), just because of their sex.

Jolene: I have to disagree, it doesn't work to counter insults with more insults.

Ayselipera

I think that sexism is a really bad problem. For instance, I think it is bad how all of the really nasty insults can only be used on girls, such as the ones that suggest girls have been going out with too many boys. There are no insults for boys that are bad like that. It is very sexist.

I see what you're getting at and there have been times when I thought the same thing. :p In truth though the real answer would be to get rid of all insults then to add some for males. I know it's impossible from happening, but I just think that would be the best way to go about it.

Being a girl myself I look up to (the first women's rights convention that I know of) the Seneca Falls convention in 1848. It's great to see that in a time where women didn't have much say in anything they stood up for themselves. When I see anyone stand up for themselves in an unfair situation I can't help, but stand behind them. Which in this case I probably do so more then in others since I am a girl and all. The only thing I didn't like about the Seneca Falls convention was the exclusion of African American women. I realize times were different then, but I can't help but see the hypocrisy of saying we want equal rights, but you can't have any. I'm glad that when the 60's came around both races of women joined together. Perhaps even more then just Caucasians and African Americans.

The one thing I can't stand is people who still whine about the past. Yes women were treated terribly at times in the past and I don't condone it, but that was then and this is now. I can't change the past, but I can mold the future. In America or Massachusetts as I know it today I feel as though women are treated almost just as equal. I have never been told in my life I couldn't do something because I was a girl and I never been singled out because of it.

I also want to say that I agree with Captain Fabio. Men can do many things that women can't just as women can do many things men can't. We are both different in some ways, but the same in other ways and it's important to embrace our differences and join together with our likeness.

With all that I said I realize that there are still countries were women are not equal and even treated in horrible ways, but whenever there have been groups of people in history who were brought down they eventually rose up. I believe that one day the women in those countries will become just as equal as the women in countries were equality is recognized. It may not be tomorrow or a year from now, but it will come eventually. To sum this all up I don't know much at all about the feminist movement of today so I can't comment on it, but I do know of the movements of the past and I think they are very important. Not only to women, but to all groups of people who are still treated as though they are not equal.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • I guess I agree with everyone here. ._.
    My main picture of feminism is some really sexist woman screaming at a rally for the end of all men. Although, then again, my first picture of feminism was from this colony of masculinophobic, feminist lesbians in Jpod . . .
    Yeah, they make me think of Malcolm X in a way. :< And it seems like a lot of them are actually advocating LESS rights for women, as in excluding us from anything stereotypical (you women need to get out of the kitchen, you women need to stop raising families, etc.).

The term for that is "playa". xD
    Well, "sexual prowess" is considered a more positive thing among boys, whereas it has a dirty connotation with girls . . . I agree, that's sexist. If you'd like to coin your own term for filthy boy****s, I'd be more than happy to use the term as well. <3
    Although I just call them *****s because that's what they are. :P

Malpalz said:
    The one thing I can't stand is people who still whine about the past. Yes women were treated terribly at times in the past and I don't condone it, but that was then and this is now. I can't change the past, but I can mold the future. In America or Massachusetts as I know it today I feel as though women are treated almost just as equal. I have never been told in my life I couldn't do something because I was a girl and I never been singled out because of it.

d(''d)
    It's like when they say we should be giving black peoplez more rights because of how they used to be esclavos. D: Look, no whitey around today was ever a slaveholder back in that day, and no blacky around today was ever an esclavo back in that day, so drop it. :/
    I think rights for people who are different are slowly being given, one group at a time. In most parts of Modern America, all that's really left that are consistently treated unequally are homosexuals and transsexuals, I guess because those are just the least common thing (although then again I live in Wisconsin and there's an equal number of uncloseted gay people and black people in my school . . . ).

Last edited:

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • There are different kinds of feminism.

Well actually Twocows, there is only one kind of true feminism and that is the pursuit of equal rights (Not equality in general /shudder) between genders. It just happens to be named that because women happened, or happen depending on how you feel about today's society, to have been the gender with less rights.

It actually bothers me that people use the term feminism to describe women who hate men.

and I feel that the more extreme feminists take it over the top and too far, and in that they essentially defeat the purpose of their aims; they act as if women should be superior.

We call that sexism, because that's the real name for it. It's NOT FEMINISM when it takes the entire idea of feminists every where and turns against it blatantly.

I know the world is changing, but it won't be changing so much that roles switch.

Cmon man. You had something awesome going... That's a bit ignorant of the fact Women are individuals and some are NOT happy or successful in that position. People are different. What we have going now is very, very good in my personal opinion.

(Not equality in general /shudder)

To expand on a point I made earlier in my post. Some feminists believe there should be no difference between males and females. I personally think that's truly "extreme" feminism. Quite frankly, I oppose the idea with a passion. Facts are, Men and Women are somewhat different and in some circumstances deserve different treatment.

I would gladly thank a man for holding the door open for me, and would not think much of it if he did not.

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
  • Here women aren't forced to assign for the army. Same rights, same duties, please, haha.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • You kidding? Those kind of guys make it easy to get a date because they look like idiots and make the rest of us look even better. I have yet to meet a person with those qualifications have trouble getting a date, provided he (or she) actually made the effort and was forthcoming (and that's the mistake a lot of people make; they aren't forthcoming). Maybe those people will get rejected by a few people, but that's part of the game (if you care to call it that).

Sorry, guess I went off on a tangent.

Ah, touche! Good Point. But that doesn't really work in singular situations depending on the media the girl has been exposed to.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I'm all for equal rights between men and women, but Feminism often goes too far and respond to anything that could be considered unfair to be sexist, such as a man getting a job over a woman purely by chance, a feminist would call it bias and sexist. As a result women are sometimes treated better than men to avoid being 'offensive', which completely denies what Equal Rights are.

Equal Rights means what it says, Equal. Not treating people better than they should be to avoid appearing sexist.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Feminism is a bunch of crap. We give them some rights, they complain about some of them not being fair, so we take them away and then they complain about rights being taken away.

Are you suggesting that the political process involving feminism should be any different from any other complex, tedious political process? :\

I'm all for equal rights between men and women, but Feminism often goes too far and respond to anything that could be considered unfair to be sexist, such as a man getting a job over a woman purely by chance, a feminist would call it bias and sexist. As a result women are sometimes treated better than men to avoid being 'offensive', which completely denies what Equal Rights are.

That's an interesting point. I think it goes both ways though. I mean, I can't count the times I've had to deal with stupid crud online that is obviously an attempt at garnering unfair advantage on the male side through the use of accusing my own success as being somehow related to my gender.

Oh by the way, the above is the reason I don't do clans anymore. It's like, inevitable. e.e

Last edited:
    Back