• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Feminism

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Feminism is a bunch of crap. We give them some rights, they complain about some of them not being fair, so we take them away and then they complain about rights being taken away. And I know this is old, but it's scary as to what women can do if they don't get something their way.

And they made you a moderator...:pink_no:

Also I don't see why it's okay for a guy to go out with lots of girls but not okay for a girl to go out with lots of guys. Women might have more equal rights now, but there are some things about culture that need to be changed like that what I just said.

Zet

Years

Also I don't see why it's okay for a guy to go out with lots of girls but not okay for a girl to go out with lots of guys. Women might have more equal rights now, but there are some things about culture that need to be changed like that what I just said.

Polygamy is frowned upon no matter what gender...

Though I don't see how what I said makes it sad that I was moderated. Everyone is allowed their own opinions you little troll >:3

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I don't mean all at the same time.

Zet

Years
    In that case, both men and women are called "****s". Though if there's a distance between the relationships, then it's fine.

Oh now that's just sad how that word is censored.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    So feminism is a pretty hot topic in today's society.

Yeah... it was in the 1960's? Haha jk. I think feminism is a pretty akward construct.

I mean, have you ever heard of masculinists? No, because that simply connotes chauvinism. I'm for equality all the way around- not so much for all these individual causes disinfrancshising people further.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    You can't talk about equal rights between men and women, because they don't exist. How is it equal that a woman can beat up a man and not get sued, fined, whatever, but when a man tries to defend himself he's all of a sudden a jerk? Women abuse their rights. I'm not saying men don't, but I'm sick of men looking like the bad ones all the time.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    You can't talk about equal rights between men and women, because they don't exist. How is it equal that a woman can beat up a man and not get sued, fined, whatever, but when a man tries to defend himself he's all of a sudden a jerk? Women abuse their rights. I'm not saying men don't, but I'm sick of men looking like the bad ones all the time.

Very true. There are women that actually do beat up their husbands. However, I want to say the number is lower than that of a husband beating a wife, so that's why it's not mentioned as often. But women can be the bad ones. Don't let the skirts and pretty faces fool you. And men aren't the only serial killers. Women do it too. There have been cases I can think of (not names I'm afraid) that the woman shot the man. As much as a man has to be a gentleman, a woman has to be appreciative and kind as well. That's just my thoughts, though. If I'm going to open a door for you, I'd like a thank you not an independent cry of "I can get it myself!"

Also, saying it's there can be no sexism against men is like saying there can be no racism against whites. Clearly both exist in the world. That's just an example, though. We're not going to talk about racism. That's a completely different story.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    Polygamy is frowned upon no matter what gender...
    I'm pretty sure she's referring to casual dating, not polygamy (which is exclusively marriage, not dating). In some cases when a guy goes out with a lot of women or has a lot of one-night stands over a short period of time, he doesn't get as much flack from people about it like a woman would if she had done the same.

That seems to be less and less true, though, in my opinion. Tiger Woods got a lot of crap from people for having mistresses while being married, and in most cases an average Joe would get the same crap from people for doing the same thing.

As a woman, yes, I am fully supportive of woman's rights. I don't see that there are a lot of issues with it in the society I live in, though. Yes, there are plenty of "omg woman get back in the kitchen" jokes around, but I'm not going to hold a picket line every time somebody says something like that. Am I okay with it? No, if I'm absolutely positive the person is serious. The usual offenders, to me, are friends of mine and I know they only do it to troll me. They don't really believe that I should be barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen at all times. I've been really hard-pressed to find somebody in this generation that sincerely believes that's how things should be run.

I don't consider myself a feminist, because I'm against any discrimination or hate language. I'm for equality in both men and women, no matter their skin color or orientation. If a man were to get a job that I'm well suited for only for the fact that he's a man, then yes, I'll be pissed, and see it as blatant sexism. If a man were to get a job that I'm not well-suited for and he has the credentials I don't, I'm not going to accuse the employer of sexism, because that's just stupid.
    My previous boss used to only higher women to work in his ice cream shop. Did I think that was fair to the guys that came in and wanted a job? Of course not. Did I try to convince my boss otherwise? Absolutely.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    Women abuse their rights.

Some broke through the glass ceiling, grabbed the remaining shards, and proceeded to shank any man within proximity. In all seriousness though- I think there are seriously messed up biases leining against both sexes. A good article that anybody intrested in this topic should read is No Unmakred Woman. It touches on some things I hadn't considered about sexism.

Dubstep

Goes bump in the night
    Years
    Feminism isn't about equal rights, it's about being placed on a pedestal. Sexism goes both ways, every which way in our society. You want to help women in society? Help break down gender roles and stereotypes by example and good, clear communication, not by being an uptight harpy.

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    The thing that brought about me making a thread about this was a Facebook group made recently called "Girlcott Urban Outfitters". Ohhh, I see what you did there! You made it girlcott because boycott was sexist! So clever!

Anyways, here's an excerpt of the group information:
    Urban Outfitters has hit a new sexist low and it's time for women (and our male and gender non-conforming allies) to hit them where it hurts - the cash register.

First there was the men's t-shirt admonishing 'Fathers, it's up to you to protect your daughter's virginity!' - https://ht.ly/1TycY - a creepy throwback to a time where men owned their female relatives and a woman's entire worth was between her legs.

Now, there's a women's t-shirt promoting the virtue 'Eat Less' - also known as anorexia and eating disorders. https://bit.ly/cD9Zk4

Women and men deserve clothing that doesn't degrade their humanity. We're calling on Urban Outfitters to pull these items and issue a commitment to produce clothing that upholds the value of all people without regard to gender, race, or sexual orientation.
    Well.. I suppose all of the group information.

Anyways, people like this infuriate me. If they can't learn to understand sarcasm, I can't see how they're going to survive in life. And even worse, they have power. People like this actually get stores to take down so-called "sexist" clothing because they don't like it.

Dubstep

Goes bump in the night
    Years
    The thing that brought about me making a thread about this was a Facebook group made recently called "Girlcott Urban Outfitters". Ohhh, I see what you did there! You made it girlcott because boycott was sexist! So clever!

Anyways, here's an excerpt of the group information: Well.. I suppose all of the group information.

Anyways, people like this infuriate me. If they can't learn to understand sarcasm, I can't see how they're going to survive in life. And even worse, they have power. People like this actually get stores to take down so-called "sexist" clothing because they don't like it.

"Now, there's a women's t-shirt promoting the virtue 'Eat Less' - also known as anorexia and eating disorders. https://bit.ly/cD9Zk4"

How does that promote eating disorders? These women are like a mini-PETA.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I don't get why some women care so dang much these days. I don't feel 'pressured' or 'disadvantaged' at all. I don't feel that there are things I can't do because of my gender. I don't think about whether I'm seen equally to men (almost all my best friends IRL are men). It's all silly nowadays. Maybe there are some sexist men out there, but for pete's sake it's not all of them. It's not the middle of the 20th century anymore; chill out. :\

It always makes me raise an eyebrow when I do have an issue with someone (unrelated of course) and then when I mention it to certain women they tell me straight up without another thought that it's 'because I'm a woman' (if the person causing the problem is male). How about you try some logic, ladies?

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years

Actually there are cultural things going against both sexes. For one thing, men can't cross-dress at all, while women can all of the time and very few people will even care.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    "Now, there's a women's t-shirt promoting the virtue 'Eat Less' - also known as anorexia and eating disorders. https://bit.ly/cD9Zk4"

How does that promote eating disorders? These women are like a mini-PETA.
    ...because it says "eat less", which people assume to mean "eat less food" akin to starving yourself a la anorexia. If they meant "eat less food to curb overconsumption and help the environment" they could have done it in a much different way. The fact that its model is insanely skinny and that it's only manufactured for women just furthers the "it promotes eating disorders and negative body image in women" argument.

Also, considering the fact that the demographic Urban Outfitters aims for is teenagers, and it won't look good if a girl buys the tshirt then decides to follow a larger girl around school.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Women need to stop campaigning for equality, or stop complaining when we treat them as equals.

Example:

You go out a door, and don't hold it for the lady behind you. She chews you out for not holding it open.

The next day, you hold the door for her. She chews you out for holding it open, because she can do herself.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    in every group of "ists" there are a good number of people who take their statement to a bigoted level; i've known feminists that see themselves as ABOVE men and look at women who choose to become housewives as delaying women in their mission for equal rights all around. i'm for equality all around, thanks, and that ties in with my support for freedom of choice.

Dubstep

Goes bump in the night
    Years
    ...because it says "eat less", which people assume to mean "eat less food" akin to starving yourself a la anorexia. If they meant "eat less food to curb overconsumption and help the environment" they could have done it in a much different way. The fact that its model is insanely skinny and that it's only manufactured for women just furthers the "it promotes eating disorders and negative body image in women" argument.

That's kind of a long shot if you ask me.

Back