PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! I forgot to save!

Rich Boy Rob
June 14th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Basically have you ever spent ages playing a game or done something incredibly difficult only to lose your data through some horrible turn of fate?

On Sunday I spent 7 hours playing KH 358/2 Days because I was determined to finish it after not playing it for quite a while. I didn't save at all in that time. I eventually realised I was on low power and went to get the charger. No it didn't run out on the way there, I closed my DS to save power and when I reopened it the screens had just died on me. They were just black even though the power was still on.

There are not enough palms in the world for my face right now.

Morkula
June 14th, 2010, 02:09 PM
This is more suited to Other Games, so...
*Moves*

Anyway, I've had this happen to me a number of times. Most recently when I was replaying Pokemon Emerald, I had fought all the trainers in the route between Pacifidlog and Slateport and was on my way to the Pokemon League. Then I put my DS down to respond to someone on MSN or something, then accidentally dropped it when I went to pick it up. The game nudged out slightly and...yeah. Had to do all that again.

Hybrid Trainer
June 14th, 2010, 02:10 PM
This happens to me a LOT
most of the time i cant play the game again for about a week because i feel so ashamed :(

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty
June 14th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I was trying to get my 21st perfect on the DSiWare game Starship Patrol. (God, I love it so hard.) The phone rang and I was asked to get it, so I hit what I thought was the Start button to pause it...and in reality, I hit the power button. I'm still stuck on the 21st level. dksdfsfg. AND IT WAS A CALL CENTRE. >:(

hiphiphippo
June 14th, 2010, 02:33 PM
this used to happen all the time when i played sims D:
i'd be playing like alala~ and then the game crashes without me saving ;-;''

this also happened another time with some game i forgot the name of
i was playing for a while and couldnt figure out how to save and assumed that it auto-saved for you so i just quit it.
i was wrong D:

Autistic Lucario
June 14th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Once, when I was playing the original Diablo 2, I had level 63 necromancer. I was extremely proud of him since I maxed out Revive. Later, when I tried to play as him again, all of my hard-earned equipment was gone.

Turns out that my younger sister had a go on it WITHOUT my permission, managed to get my necro killed, and lost all of his items.

You can imagine what I did to my sister when I found out that it was her, being a kid with anger problems. :D

Agent Clank
June 14th, 2010, 03:25 PM
This happened alot of times.
but the most recent was when,I was training my Buneary on Pearl and I was training hard too.
What i didnt notice is that I had a Red light,so I was saving and It turned off on me :(
I was so Sad i could have Screamed.

Eucliffe
June 14th, 2010, 03:26 PM
OMG. FINAL FANTASY.

I love those games, really, but I hate, hate, hate it when I forget to save, and I end up starting hours earlier than where I was before if my team accidentally dies.

Other games have a similar method. Then there's something like Zelda, where it lets you start back at the beginning of the dungeon, area, etc.

Eternal Nightmare
June 14th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Doesn't happen to me that often, but one games that have save points it happens to me a lot ;^;.

I was playing Mario and Luigi 2 days ago and I didn't save an hour worth of gameplay. It sucks when you have to do stuff all over again. Also remember playing Windwaker one day and I haven't saved my progress for over two hours or so and my brother walks through and accidently knocks the pull out the socket. I got so pissed that day.

Games with save anywhere feature I save after every cutscene, boss fight, or even when I get something new in my inventory. You never know when something is going to happen.

thedestinedblade
June 14th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Happens to me a lot especially since I play a lot of RPGs. Spend a lot of time level grinding and sometimes I feel a bit too confident to save, and end up regretting it when I somehow end up dying (usually in a cheap way :D)

Haowakeorden
June 14th, 2010, 05:01 PM
This actually very rarely happens to me when I'm playing Pokémon. It used to happen a lot when I played Deus Ex and its sequel, where I'd always get a lot of progress, but then I'd miscalculate and get killed.
That hasn't really happened to me in any other game for some reason, even with games of a similar genre. Maybe I've just become more careful over the years...

rainier
June 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM
oMg this happens to me but i dont get angry i just "OH WELL IM AN IDIOT"
But You should see my little brother hes 8 and he forgets to save in platinum he cries!! and my mom asks "why are u crying?" This also happens to him when he loses a lot and hes Like "WHY CANT I BEAT HIM!!!!!!!! THIS GAME IS SO HARD!!!"
THen he cries to. And my mom asks the same question.
And me when he cries I start Laughing so HARD!!

EmeraldSerenade
June 14th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Two Words: Fire Emblem.
I remember not saving when i finished a chapter sometimes, and my gba sp died on me one time, so I had to start from the previous level i already completely -.-

institutions
June 14th, 2010, 06:10 PM
A few times, but it's really my fault.

One that haunts me for some reason: I played for around 6 hours on Fallout 3. Went through Evergreen Mills, killed the Behemoth there, traveled many places, finished up a few quests; you know, the usual. As I was adventuring, I come across a bridge. My phone rings as I am walking on it and I turn to answer it. Being stupid, I keep holding forward, and walk off a gaping hole in the side.
Ugh.
I knew you could save right before you hit the ground and then load it and it wouldn't kill you, but I hit start too late D:
I didn't play Fallout 3 for a while after that.

I had a near experience as a kid though, a LONG time ago. I was playing Pokemon Blue on my GBC. As everyone knows, back then the power light didn't turn red if it was running low. It was red all the time. I was in the middle of fighting Erika with my Ivysaur when I was forced to go to bed. I hid my GBC under the couch. I don't know how long the battery life was, but when I woke up it was still on. I finished the battle, got my badge, and saved. Woot, I rock.

Alistair
June 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Happens to me a lot especially since I play a lot of RPGs. Spend a lot of time level grinding and sometimes I feel a bit too confident to save, and end up regretting it when I somehow end up dying (usually in a cheap way :D)

That's a big pet peeve of mine that some RPG developers still do.

Anyway, this happened to me the other day while playing Xenosaga Episode 1. I just got through a good chunk of the beginning videos, then the game froze (because my phat PS2 hates reading dual layer games).

♣Gawain♣
June 14th, 2010, 09:31 PM
This happened to me when I was playing Digimon Dusk, and I'm in the part when you have to battle Gaiomon. Forgot to save when my computer suddenly shuts down because of a fatal error.

Late
June 14th, 2010, 11:06 PM
This happened few times with NSMBW but now that I have beaten whole game it's no matter do I save or not. I hate that the save button is on menu... I forget saving if I can't see the button.

Sneeze
June 15th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Annoys me when games have no "checkpoints" as such and you force you to resume from the last save *glares at Bioware* you forget to save for a couple of hours and then die cause of a silly mistake only to be sent back in time two hours. |:

I tend to be pretty paranoid with saving sometimes though, sometimes saving a game 2 or 3 times just to be sure.

dempsey
June 15th, 2010, 12:41 AM
think thats bad i remember one time i was playing POKEMON diamond and i got so freaking far but i got distracted by nazi zombies that i forgot to save so next thing you know the powers off and i feel like my face got slaped by a ape

Blackhebrew2
June 15th, 2010, 11:14 AM
With me it wasn't really that I forgot to save rather this happened when I WAS saving.

I used to play Burnout Paradise an awful lot of there are these gates you have to hit,and there are 400 of them all over the city. I had smashed 398. I was so happy with myself. I usually useless when it comes to collectibles in games. But not this time.

But while I was playing at a friends house. I turned the game on and went to breakfast (I stayed over the night before) but my friends Dad turned it off not knowing that the game was loading.

When I returned I turned the xbox on. Put in Paradise and began to play "Your save file is corrupt please restart you game now" and there was four months of gaming dropped down the toilet in 4 seconds.

I was'nt really angry I was more kind of "meh,I dont want to start again" needless to say PAradise is now gathering dust.

Morel of this story: Dont leave your game loading with noisy friends Dads. It may end in tears/fatalities

Nuke
June 15th, 2010, 12:58 PM
This always happens to me, sometimes you really can't be bothered playing that section again either.

Thank god for autosave.

mew²
June 15th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I remember I was playing Grand Theft Auto IV and I was 5 Pigeons away for 100% Gameplay.
Then I turned it off and remembered I didn't save...

Jak
June 15th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I was raising a Wartortle on Pokemon XD. I sent it as a Squirtle at level 5 and within about 15 or 20 minutes, after fighting badass trainers, I had her around level 50. And for some reason or another, I turned off the Gamecube. I haven't played that file since...nor have I figured out why I did that.

Ochigi
June 16th, 2010, 05:35 AM
ALL.THE.TIME.

:(
It hurts when something like that happens.

One time I was playing my Megaman Starforce game..I did new game and made it up to the last part after 4 HOURS. And then my brother came up to me and wanted to try and I let him then he shut it off..

T~T

Cherrim
June 16th, 2010, 05:43 AM
I do this so regularly I could cry. :(

I don't know why but I seem to have this thing against saving. Or remembering to save. I can't even blame it on the fact that so many games have an auto-save feature now because, well, I've had this problem since looong before I ever played a title with auto-save. XD; The worst is when you get hours of progress in and then you die and have to reload your file or you just plain turn it off. :( It sucks so hard.

You'd think by now I'd know better and I'd make a point to save often but... nope. 8/

PuNkSter
June 16th, 2010, 06:06 AM
I'm always prepared, having my charger beside me and being close to an outlet and I always save, even saving twice. I like playing games with auto save, it let's you forget about saving.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
June 16th, 2010, 07:24 AM
For all the things I like about the DS Lite, one thing I don't like is the placement of the power switch. I've lost count of how many times I've accidentally hit it while playing games, and how many four letter words have come out of my mouth as a result.

Akeraz
June 16th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I don't do it often, but my most recent case is probably a couple years back, farming ethers on FFXII for Yiazmat.
I spent 20 hours farming ethers, I didn't save, went to the bathroom having left the game on pause, thought i'd saved previously and turned off the console cause I was tired.
Only a minute after did it hit me that I hadn't saved.

mehappy
June 17th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Once when I was playing Pokémon Ruby my friend gave me his cartridge too (So I now had 2 copies).
Long story short I got them confused and started a new game on my original cartridge X(

Insane85
June 17th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Yeah, I do this far too often... I get really ashamed too >.<

BHwolfgang
June 17th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Yeah, I once defeated a difficult hunt on Final Fantasy XII and forgot to save. After celebrating with a glass of juice, I walked back upstairs to find my mother unplugging everything. Her excuse was that I was wasting electricity. The only thing plugged in was my ps2, television, and charger for my Nintendo DS.

There was this other time when I just beat the Pokemon League when my battery ran out. I was so mad after that. This was during my run in Pokemon Firered. It took me forever to beat them again, especially Gary. His Blastoise was the worst.

Jak
June 17th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Oh, I just remembered another saving instance, but it kinda saved me. I was starting the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time and I saved right when I started, just in case I raised/lowered the water level at the wrong time. But by the time I actually did mess up, I felt like I had accidentally saved at some point in the dungeon and I couldn't remember if I had saved at the beginning of the dungeon because I had left to go eat lunch. So when I came back, I had no clue. I turned off the game, knowing that if I really didn't save, I'd have to get a bunch of heart pieces again.

Lucky for me, I did save at the beginning of the temple. So I guess this isn't forgetting to save, per se...just forgetting if you remembered to save. XD

Pokegirl98
June 25th, 2010, 05:07 AM
This rarely happens to me, but when I was playing HG, i had my first saving fail. I started the game, and saved A.S.A.P. so I wouldn't lose the file (again). I played up to the first gym without saving. I was saving, but i guess I turned the DS off before it was done for dinner. When i opened it up again to continue, I was furious with my stupidity of erasing the game twice. I had a huge red facepalm mark on my head that was still there in the morning.

Late
June 25th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Happened to me today with Advance Wars: Dark Conflict. But luckily I went just one mission.

wobbadude1
June 25th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Actually, this has never happened to me as I am ultra-secure.

But I HATED it back in the day when I used game boys running on batteries and whilst playing Yellow the battery ran out whilst saving the game causing the game to be deleted! :(

Esmas
June 25th, 2010, 10:10 AM
For sure. This has happened

When I was young and not very bright, I rented Pokémon Ranger. I'd spent the entire week playing it, and for some extremely strange reason, I never shut it off nor saved it, but I did keep my DS charged and ready. And suddenly, though I forget exactly what happened, the game FROZE. I had, what, 40 hours on that game? and not a single save file on it? NO. PLEASE NO.

Gold warehouse
June 26th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I always remember to save. What I really hate is when you have to get to specific points in order to save your game, especially when they're very far apart. 30 minutes worth of gameplay between each checkpoint is ridiculous. It was especially irritating when I was younger and my mum would tell me it was time for bed, and I'd be in the middle of a difficult section where the last checkpoint was a long way back. Seriously, how hard is it to put a save option in the menu?
But at least the autosave/checkpoint feature saves you from losing a lot of time when the game freezes. A game freeze after an hour or two of playing without saving is the worst. Ideally games should combine autosave and the option to save in the menu.

SinisterEternity
June 27th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Oooooh dear, this did happen to me !
Was playing Kingdom Hearts II...After defeating Demyx, and Xaldin and Xigbar. We HAD so many problems killing them, still always forgetting to save lmao xD

AtomicoExploda
June 30th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Hmm, I think it might have happened one or two times, but they weren't that bad. I save a good few times while playing a game, especially when I just come to a hard part where I might die or something, and after a hard a part so I won't have to do it again. So, it happens very rarely for me.