• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The key to a good hack?

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2022
    What would you say is the most important aspect of making a crisp, playable hack? Some people want novelty (a gripping new plot) whereas others want tradition (the classic 8 badges). On the technical side we have mapping, scripting, pokemon data, sprite editing, text edits, new features, etc.

For me the most important thing is a balance between progress and security. In other words, I like to see how new a hack can feel without too many major errors or inconsistencies popping up unintentionally.

But now I'd like to get a feel for the general views of the forum. What do you think is the key to a good hack?

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Basically the key to a good hack is one word.
    "originality"
    You need a daamn good idea which no-one has used or thought of before.
    Otherwise i see it as a regular hack following the orginal 8-badge 10 year kid with a dream game.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    What makes a good hack eh? I'll go with practice. Nobody's first hack is superb. As you hack more you start to get better. Eventually you'll get to the point where you're comfortable with your hacking ability. Once you get to the point where you're very comfortable with your hacking skills you tend to want to go above and beyond what you are used to doing. And that's how I think you create a good hack.

E.C.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    i think the key to a good hack is put as much effort in your work as you can, if you don't care much about your hack and make only slight changes to the hack, then it won't be as good as someone who dedicates their time to work on it and if they don't understand something, get help and not just give up, because if you do give up, you never learn, and your hack will remain ungood (ungood is not a word, but i didn't know what else to say :P)

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2022
    What makes a good hack eh? I'll go with practice. Nobody's first hack is superb. As you hack more you start to get better. Eventually you'll get to the point where you're comfortable with your hacking ability. Once you get to the point where you're very comfortable with your hacking skills you tend to want to go above and beyond what you are used to doing. And that's how I think you create a good hack.

Well put. And I might venture to expand that by saying that practice and research go hand in hand, too. If it weren't for the tutorials and R&D threads here, I for one would've been sunk.

ShadowMrk

Intangible
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2018
    What makes good ROM Hack, eh? Hmmm... I would have to say features that make other hackers go "How the poop did they do that?" which ultimately roots back to practice and research as stated by the previous posts.

Years
  • Dedication, and for the hacker to enjoy what he's making.

Btw, OP, you're signature is wrong - Emerald is NOT unstable. It just has less/more unstable tool compatibility (i.e the tools are unstable).

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    In my opinion, it is dedication and the like. It may not need to be original, but well-planned and fit exactly what the creator intended to make, backed with the appropriate research and care to make what they want a reality. Within reason.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • At the end of the day, video games are a form of entertainment. Thus, the best hacks are the ones that are the most entertaining. Yes, that's a generalization but it has some merit. Most people on this forum have played more than one hack. Because of this, they're not going to be swept off their feet by a yet-another-run-of-the-mill hack. The best hacks challenged standards and broke conventions. Rescue Rangers comes to mind (it is my favorite hack, after all) because it gave the player the ability to play as a pokémon, something that hadn't really been done before. And that new feel is what made the game so fun and entertaining which, in my opinion, is why it's one of the best hacks to this day.

aperso

Please feel free to VM random fruit types.
    Years
  • the tools used. the hackers abilities. the effot. the determination to finish it. is that list good enough?

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    the tools used. the hackers abilities. the effot. the determination to finish it. is that list good enough?

That isnt neccesarily true.
    Many people use the same tools as others but their hacks are better than others.
    For example two people would use Advance map one of the two's hacks could possibly be better for the story they use the features they have and orginality ;D

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
    Years
  • As ColColStyles said, the key is entertainment. What makes a game fun is an original storyline and a good plot. Rescue Rangers was also a favorite of mine, and that is probably one of the most original hacks to this day!

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Originality. Whenever I look at the progressing hacks and see another average, 8 badges, pokemon league, team rocket hack I lose interest. A good hack should have something like a gripping plot to make it competely new, and original. A hack is no fun if it's the same boring thing repeated over.

Years
  • imo, what makes a good hack, is when you play it, and you forget it's a hack until you defeat the game and realize you just have to see more hacks from the creator. That means:
    New region(s);
    New maps, maybe a few fakemon, new characters, new BADGES
    New play style;
    New scripts, new events

Another thing is pretty much everything else in the thread that has been said, with a few changes; for example, "the 8 badges" How many official non-spoof pokemon games have you played where you don't collect badges? My only thing is that the badges can't have the same design or name. Same with Team Rocket, have an actual storyline, but use a new antagonist. Otherwise I agree with everything that has been said.

MegaMaccer

If a tree falls in a forest
    Years
  • I know it's been said, but originality is key. And the drive to finish the hack. I know I'm no one to speak about that, I've been gone for a long time, but if you don't finish, or at least show progress, people will lose interest quickly. It's not all about having the newest tiles or having the neatest Fakemon, it's the story and the originality that matter. As a rule of thumb, if you include Team Rocket as we know it, have 8 badges, or need to do other generic, boring Nintendo gameplay techniques, you won't be successful. Show some spark and branch out. If it's a flop, fix it. If it's not, well done. At least, that's what I think.

jabberjabber8

../\..
    Years
  • It needs originality, creative flare...
    If a fire red hack has 8 gyms team, team rocket, and the E4 BUT some new maps!!!!!!!
    No one is going to play that...

Back