• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The key to a good hack?

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2022
    Ps I wrote this whole thing on an iPad, took forever.
    And that's dedication FTW! Sorry...I have lame joke impulses syndrome. It's pretty serious.

So far it's looking like the general preference goes something like originality/plot>graphics>smooth gameplay, with scattered opinions in between. Hm...and now the fakemon semi-tangent has me curious. The next round of posts may answer the original question, give opinions on fakemon, or (and preferably) both. I would do these in separate threads, but I feel that the questions are extremely related since we're talking about what makes a good hack. Anyone?

EDIT: To clarify, we all know that smooth gameplay in terms of not crashing on startup is super-important. Don't take the levels listed too literally.

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
    Years
  • ^LOL your joke impulse made me laugh inside

Fakemon are nice, but they have to be good, unlike the old Chaos Black

If they're good, like a lot of the Sienna ones, then it's fine. They would also have to FIT with the game. Don't start putting fakemon in Johto for no reason!

Mephodicus

Inventor
    Years
  • Here we go -

• Don't design your maps like 2012 just raveged through your game.
    • Personally, I don't like Fakemon, but pull them off well and you'll be fine.
    • Spelling - mistakes with a few errors, grammatical mistakes or any other stuff is excusable. "HEY DERE HERES A POKEMON 4 FREE!!" is overkill and makes eyes bleed.
    • A good story - so becoming the greatest trainer has been done so many times before, be original! Add twists in yourself or create a new story from scratch.
    • Wild Pokemon placement - would you be shocked if you found a lv.5 Dragonite on the first route you enter? So would we. Common sense people.
    • BE ORIGINAL! Every hack starts with an idea. From searching for a sacred item to rescuing your best friend, the list is endless.
    I probably missed a few but, ah, oh well.

Years
  • Things that can make a ROM Hack good?

-Original FR/RSE tiles or a new tileset, I find either to be good, or mixing FR trees with Emerald grass, and some HGSS tiles since they have a resemblance to FRLG's.
    -Custom, FR/RSE, or Gen 4/5 sprites inserted, they seem to make the ROM Hack more interesting.
    -New graphics like the Pt/HGSS HP bar with the backgrounds to go along with it.
    -A new evil team/anything but Team Rocket, TR's been overdone already it would be wise to come up with a new evil team.
    -Decapitalization of everything so far decapitalized in Pokemon B/W such as Pokemon, maps, trainers, etc.
    -Getting the rival,gym leaders, champion, and Elite Four involved with the plot like B/W minus the Elite Four.
    -New music/music from other Pokemon games/music from other video games/real life music like Katy Perry etc. Hearing a lot of new music or other music can add originality.
    -Beta things such as unused music, unused maps, unused sprites. Also adds originality.
    -Features like Day/Night/Seasons/Headbutt/Rock Smash items, etc.
    -Implementation of other features like Dive in FRLG.
    -Minigames like a digging one, Battle Frontier, Trainer Hill, Game Corner, etc.
    -Knowledge of ASM/Hex editing.
    -Gen. 4/5 Pokemon, and maybe a complement dex so people can catch other Pokemon while playing the same game.
    -Originality, maybe a reason the player started their journey and why things are happening.
    -Some dark things maybe, after all we did have Marowak in Gen. 1/3, Cofagrigus, Ghetsis, Team Galactic, etc.

I've played ROM Hacks with things like these and including these things can make it more playable, also Your Mileage May Vary.

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
    Years
  • Here we go -

• Don't design your maps like 2012 just raveged through your game.
    • Spelling - mistakes with a few errors, grammatical mistakes or any other stuff is fine, "HEY DERE HERES A POKEMON 4 FREE!!"
    • Wild Pokemon placement - would you be shocked if you found a lv.5 Dragonite on the first route you enter? So would we. Common sense people.
    I probably missed a few but, ah, oh well.
    Actually in one of my hacks, the evil team ravages Hoenn so its supposed to look like 2012 LOL

Things that can make a ROM Hack good?

-Original FR/RSE tiles or a new tileset, I find either to be good, or mixing FR trees with Emerald grass, and some HGSS tiles since they have a resemblance to FRLG's.
    -Custom, FR/RSE, or Gen 4/5 sprites inserted, they seem to make the ROM Hack more interesting.
    -New graphics like the Pt/HGSS HP bar with the backgrounds to go along with it.
    -A new evil team/anything but Team Rocket, TR's been overdone already it would be wise to come up with a new evil team.
    -Decapitalization of everything so far decapitalized in Pokemon B/W such as Pokemon, maps, trainers, etc.
    -Getting the rival,gym leaders, champion, and Elite Four involved with the plot like B/W minus the Elite Four.
    -New music/music from other Pokemon games/music from other video games/real life music like Katy Perry etc. Hearing a lot of new music or other music can add originality.
    -Beta things such as unused music, unused maps, unused sprites. Also adds originality.
    -Features like Day/Night/Seasons/Headbutt/Rock Smash items, etc.
    -Implementation of other features like Dive in FRLG.
    -Minigames like a digging one, Battle Frontier, Trainer Hill, Game Corner, etc.
    -Knowledge of ASM/Hex editing.
    -Gen. 4/5 Pokemon, and maybe a complement dex so people can catch other Pokemon while playing the same game.
    -Originality, maybe a reason the player started their journey and why things are happening.
    -Some dark things maybe, after all we did have Marowak in Gen. 1/3, Cofagrigus, Ghetsis, Team Galactic, etc.

I've played ROM Hacks with things like these and including these things can make it more playable, also Your Mileage May Vary.

These are really good additions to any hack, without half of them I wouldn't call the rom a hack, it'd just be a mod lol

StuckOnExile

Can't think of a clever subnic
    Years
  • Definitely plan out a story beforehand. Try to plan out your maps on paper before you actually make them. I'm a rookie and this definitely helps me out to see what's possible and what my limitations as a hacker are.

psyxe

Cubone Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2017
    creativity, skill, originality... its all great. but without planning and careful thinking, its not worth even starting.

Lindsay

Geek in the Pink
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2012
    It needs to interest you from the very beginning. I've lost interest in several hacks I've tried because they didn't hook me from the start. Give us something to cling to!

Years
  • Many people really do want to create a great ROM hack that will be inspired by nearly everyone in most of PC. So if anyone is aiming to create one ROM hack that everyone will be wow'd about, here's what many should do.

First of all, a ROM hack has to be made with graphics that is not the generic ROM base graphics, by that... I basically mean the graphics that are normally on a FireRed/LeafGreen or Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald ROM. Now surely GameFreak doesn't re-use the graphics on more newer ROMs these days do they? Take a look at Diamond/Pearl for instance and compare it to Platinum. You'll notice how the textures are different, and that shows how things can be revamped and not re-used, the only time when GameFreak did re-use graphics is when they made Pokémon Emerald, which they only edited the normal field grass (not the grass with the wild Pokémon in it though). The best thing everyone should do... is create their own tilesets and textures from scratch, that is one way to create tilesets and textures that can truly revolutionize the appearence of a ROM hack. You can use other people's ones that you've found in the ROM hacking resources, as long as you give credit to them when you use it. After all, a generic FireRed/LeafGreen Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald original tileset really does make the appearence of a ROM hack look boring. Hence this is why most ROM hackers change the tilesets completely.

Next up is the characters, Pokémon and object sprites. Surely if you're looking to make a ROM hack not look anything similar to the original ROM bases, the best way to doing it... is changing the sprite to look different to that of the original ROM base. Technically I would consider changing the sprite to look totally different from the ROM base and the Nintendo DS generation ROMs (which I mean by 4th and 5th generations), what I think of usually is creativity. Though it's not like anyone has to do it or anything, you can use the sprites from the NDS generation ROMs, but it's always best to make them from scratch. Like for instance, for an item you might as well have a different sprite for potions or any other types of medicine, so you can see what it really is. Changing a backsprite for any of the characters or Pokémon is also a great way of making a ROM hack look so much better as well as the overworld sprites.

Making up a storyline for a ROM hack is one of most easiest of all things. "Why is that?" you ask? Well because all you basically have to do... is type in your ROM hack thread. xD As for editing the whole intro would also be a great idea along with changing how you enter your name or removing the part where you enter your name, that is if you know how to. And I don't basically know how to yet either. It probably would require ASM hacking. It also great to change the titlescreen completely as well, changing it completely may also require some ASM hacking to change the animation and stuff.

ASM, one of the things that can revolutionize a ROM hack. ASM stands for "Assembly", one of the things that can be edited and replaced in the coding. There is a tutorial on how to use ASM to create for a script in the game, but I'm not sure if there's one about changing the intro completely or something like that. We may need to research even further into this.

There is one thing that people do not like in a ROM hack, and that is none other than the bugs, glitches and errors. Some can prevent people from progressing in the ROM hack, while others can screw up certain conditions or crash. Anyone who experiences any of that always posts it in author's ROM hack thread or PMs the author of the bug or glitch in the ROM hack. You can also use a debugging emulator to identify the glitch or the bug in the ROM hack and show the breaking point to the ROM hack author, which then helps them research further into it, which then can help them learn new ways of editing stuff and possibly creating a tool for it.

Audio... one of the things that we all hear from our ears, correct? Something we all think we can totally change the way we hear a certain song or sound effect. The best thing that can be done in this manner, is that anyone can simply insert a song into a ROM hack and test it out, when anyone does this, you can also change the offset for the soundbank that is used. If you're creating a ROM hack with very creative tilesets, then you would also need very creative music along side it as well. What I'd technically do is create my own songs from scratch for a ROM hack rather than trying to use what is used in a different game or a different generation of Pokémon. Usually it's only necissary to insert music from other games of Pokémon if you're including a region from a different Pokémon game or something. But here's one thing that makes a ROM hack less interesting: using the songs that come with the ROM base (eg. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and FireRed/LeafGreen) that you're using to create the ROM hack. The reason to this is because it makes it sound too generic and just feels like you're playing the ROM that the ROM hack is based off.

This is all the advice about the keys to creating a very creative ROM hack. Good luck! ;)

~Davin (aka Platinum Lucario)

Basically: "lul magik up sum sik new grafix n music n sumhow lrn asm and music composition and also maik ur story up whn ur postin ur hack lolol"

Which I find very subjective. You seem to be saying that new graphics, and new music, with some mind-blowing ASM features that not many people hold, with a half-assed story you came up with when it came to posting your thread = a great thread. Wrong.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2015
    Personally, the fancy graphics, professional mapping and strong scripting comes next to a rather imperative aspect in hacking: the story. The first thing I do when checking out a project is read the story or synopsis/summary. A good, properly planned story is the first key to a good hack, in MY opinion.

After that, I don't mind good-looking maps, easy-on-the-eyes art, nicely designed 'fakemon', complex but organized scripting etc etc.

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • Scripts, storyline and maps and decapitalization.
    They're the four most of the most important aspects in a hack.
    If anyone lacks any of the three things in their hack, they won't make a good hack.

Graphics by my opiion is making a hack a good one....

Graphics? That's the least important aspect in a hack.
    Well, unless they're Emerald and Ruby hacks. Their ugly trees are a big turndown.

But aside from that, graphics, really, are not important.

Last edited:

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
    Years
  • Character development is the same as the storyline.
    As the story develops, the development of characters will be revealed as well.

So, what you're basically saying is the same as what I've said.

Actually, yeah. You're right. Didn't think of it that way. But, you hardly see much character development in hacks(mostly 'cause they hardly ever pass the Beta 1 stage).

Articuno23

Sub-Zero
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2012
    A combination of quality scripts, crisp graphical work and original storyline makes for a good hack.

Liquid Twilight

Super Geek
    Years
  • I think, like lots of others have said, originality. If you create something original (doesn't have to be hugely original) that people notice and they like then your hacks will be better than doing an idea that has been done a million times before.

Also, I have this trouble myself, never get too ahead of yourself. It is good to aim high but don't try to run before you can walk, otherwise you will end up feeling a failiure which can lead to a quick abandon of a project. Take everything easy and it will all be good.

Back