• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen why do you play r/b/y?

Lady Umbreon

Teh Sophomore of DOOM!
Years
  • I play because Blue was my first Game Boy game! And it's still fun even though now it looks kinda bad. Plus, now people are finding stuff like Mew and Shiny Ditto and Missingno....

Mac2492

Friendly Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I play because I like it!!! I have all my pokemon there (PLus it was my first game) I used to play red but I dropped my gameboy and lost my save (It won't save either, used it to get all three sarters with my cousin :)) Now I play blue... I would play FR/LG but it's in japanese!

yay!boromir

Expect the unexpected
    Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Jun 14, 2006
    I used to play it when I was younger. It was my favourite game then. I haven't played it since.

Phantom Angel

aka Dark Heaven
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen May 30, 2004
    I played really really looooong time ago.
    and the save data is still there.
    *think of old day when he was young*

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • R/B/Y is just about all I have left from my past that I haven't tried to repress...

Nah, I wouldn't go that far. But it is one of the few fond reminders of my tween years. I still consider them the best games in the entire series...because of all the modernization of pokemon these days, it only makes me want to return to the early days more than ever, before it was popular...back when the anime still aired at 6:30 in the morning and 150 pokemon felt like more than one could ever hope to memorize. R/B/Y had the best plot of any pokemon game...it was the basis of the anime, after all, and no area could ever compare to Kanto, no villain ever compare to Team Rocket and the diabolical Giovanni. Even after FR/LG comes out I'll still continue to play R/B/Y just because nothing can compare to its absolute oldskoolness.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2004
    R/B/Y started it all for me. Back in the days when I used to have Charizard with 3 fire moves, lol.

emeraldslay

Obsessed with Mew/writing
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Aug 3, 2008
    R/B/Y is needed to complete all the others (except maybe fire red/leaf green) because it is the only game where you can catch Mew and you have to trade it over to the other versions.

Eco-Mono

LWH Director
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2009
    I still play Red and Blue because they define the game of Pok?mon to me. The newer versions simply don't feel like what I've always known the game to be. On top of that, it includes Missingno., the rarest Pok?mon by far since it was hunted to extinction by the time of G/S/C. Darn Lance sending exterminators to Cinnabar...

Skye

a dreamer...
    Years
  • Good call, Eco-mono. My Blue game will always feel more comfortable than my gold game. (I don't have a GB advance, so no ruby or saphire for me!) In fact, I think I'll go goet my GBC now and start playing!!

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
  • Red and Blue are the original Pokemon adventures. 'nuff said. Although I'd say Gold and Silver pretty much surpass them in every area possible.

Ruby and Sapphire just can't compete with any of the GBC games. They have decent enough monsters and cool new skills, but capping EVs and adding stupid things like Pokemon contests ruins the brilliance set up by the original games.

chrissmith_uk

A.K.A. Dark_Lugia
    Years
  • well.... i played it tonnes when i was a bit younger.... its a classic. I never got round to going to one of them NOM tour thingies..... :(

Jesus Freak Josh

In my mind's eye, I see You...
    Years
  • Aiya Quackform said:
    I play to get Mew without a GS. Besides, the Kanto pogeys are my favorite.
    I agree with you Aiya. The R/B/Y were the best, then G/S/C weren't too bad. But then the R/S Pogeys were just stupid (sp?)!

Back