• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon & Digimon- which came first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tymime

Action Gamemaster
Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2024
    Lots of Digimon fans (and Pok?mon-haters) I've talked to say Digimon came first in Japan. I'm pretty durned sure Pok?mon is the original and Digimon is the rip-off, but I need definite dates. :donut:
    I wanna know for sure!

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Digimon Tamagochi > 1995
    Pokemon Video Game > 1996

Yeah, Digimon came first.

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
  • I don't consider either of them a "rip-off" of the other, simply because they're totally different. Sure Digimon can "evolve" into a higher form with more power like Pokemon, but that's about all they have in common. And a main hero (in 1st season Digimon) that has fluffy spiky hair. That's it. Digimon come from a parallel world, Pokemon from the same world. Pokemon stay evolved, Digimon don't (though it may take them a while to go back like in Tamers). They're plenty different. They just look the same to the untrained eye.

Cooltrainer Lance

Flannery Fanboy
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure that digimon came out first. I <3 both equally. I don't think either is a rip off of the other. Like Light Azumarill stated they have many differences and few similarities.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • Digimon.com's copyright notice says 1997-2005.
    Pok?mon.com's copyright notice says 1995-2005.

That's where I looked to see it, but then I've also heard that Tamagotchi existed before that and were basically the predecessors of Digimon. Were they really as similar to Pok?mon, though?

Well, either way, I don't know a lot about Digimon. I've just done some research on the monsters, and found that aside from a small group of Digimon which are basically the most Pok?mon-like ones, I prefer the Pok?mon monster designs by far. :/ Even in the case of comparisons like Agumon and Charmander, I prefer Charmander because I like the simplistic style.

viridian doubletongue

the world's greatest thief
    Years
  • You can't compare the two. It's like saying that pokemon is like Yu-Gi-Oh when Yu-Gi-Oh was just a crap anime about a crap card game with crap monsters. It's just the mon in the name where people try & find a similarity. & originaly pokemon was pocket monsters which sounds nothing like digimon.

Jarman

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2006
    Digimon was a type of Tamagochi before the Pokemon games were first made, but they didn't make Digimon into normal games, a TV show and a TCG until Pokemon became popular.

LishaKara

オレスシ。
    Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2023
    Digimon came first. Let us all get this straight.
    Neither is a rip-off of the other. In fact, they are almost polar opposites. I won't go into the details now because Light Azumarill's post explains it quite thoroughly.

Cya'.

John Denver

Banned
    Years
  • The Digimon brand technically came first...but the Pokemon show and game and what not came before Digimon did...

so that means, Digimon is the incoherant work of Satan

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Dragonfree said:
    Digimon.com's copyright notice says 1997-2005.
    Pok?mon.com's copyright notice says 1995-2005.

That's where I looked to see it, but then I've also heard that Tamagotchi existed before that and were basically the predecessors of Digimon. Were they really as similar to Pok?mon, though?

Well, either way, I don't know a lot about Digimon. I've just done some research on the monsters, and found that aside from a small group of Digimon which are basically the most Pok?mon-like ones, I prefer the Pok?mon monster designs by far. :/ Even in the case of comparisons like Agumon and Charmander, I prefer Charmander because I like the simplistic style.
    That could be refering to the site though =/

Random Plushie

Yes, it is a sheep
    Years
  • Dakota said:
    The Digimon brand technically came first...but the Pokemon show and game and what not came before Digimon did...

so that means, Digimon is the incoherant work of Satan

Yes. Yes it is. You explained it quite thoroughly. XD

tymime

Action Gamemaster
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2024
    Jarman said:
    Digimon was a type of Tamagochi before the Pokemon games were first made, but they didn't make Digimon into normal games, a TV show and a TCG until Pokemon became popular.
    Thank you, that explains a lot. So it did come first as a Tamagotchi off-shoot, but didn't become Pok?mon wannabes until Pok?mon came out... Yay! I was right! It is a rip-off! *personal opinion* :paranoid:
    What baffles me is how Duel Monsters got to be popular when it's almost exactly the same as Yu-Gi-Oh...

Natsuki

.bluefang.
    Years
  • I looked on this one website that said Bandai created the tamagotchi, "Digital Monster" on June 26th, 1997. o.o; I don't know if you guys are talking about the anime or just the overall Digiwhatsit stuff or whatever...XD But I always thought Pokemon came first. O.< At least, that's what I've always heard. X3 And that Digimon was not necessarily a "rip-off", but just a branch off of Pokemon, so to speak. <.< *never liked Digimon very much* XD

~Kelsey

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
  • Digimon toys came first,

but Pokemon anime came first than Digimon anime.

Anyway, no use of comparing them. I think its coincidence.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • Digital Mage said:
    It's just the mon in the name where people try & find a similarity. & originaly pokemon was pocket monsters which sounds nothing like digimon.
    How about Digimon as Digital Monsters?

Datriot

Tachikama!!!
    Years
  • Light_Azumarill said:
    I don't consider either of them a "rip-off" of the other, simply because they're totally different. Sure Digimon can "evolve" into a higher form with more power like Pokemon, but that's about all they have in common. And a main hero (in 1st season Digimon) that has fluffy spiky hair. That's it. Digimon come from a parallel world, Pokemon from the same world. Pokemon stay evolved, Digimon don't (though it may take them a while to go back like in Tamers). They're plenty different. They just look the same to the untrained eye.

yeah, I completely agree with you.
    Besides they're both just as good as the other.

O

Your Mom
    Years
  • Neither are a rip-off ****nit. Digimon came first, technically, Pok?mon's show came first. And Duel Masters is made to parody Yu-Gi-Oh. The Producer admits it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back