• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

{-February Sprite Contest - Results-}

Years
  • Ok, here are the results of February's Sprite Contest. The theme for it was Valentines.

I've been quite thorough with each entry, and I don't expect and/or do I wish to be flamed for stating my comments on what may be wrong with your own entry. Try to accept the fact that this is what you've gotten as a result of your entry's outcome, and perhaps use it to help refrain from making the same mistakes in the future.

I shall not triple post due to the image limit, just simply refer to the Entry Thread if you wish to see the entries rated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Entry:

Made by: jedite1000
    Comments: More or less just copied pokemon sprites; can't really say much about it. I like the concept of it. But what bothers me the most about this entry would have to be the background; as well as the boxes. The walls and window seem too plain, no shading at all, and the window's blue doesn't seem to blend in well with the wall grey. The boxes look untidily done, remember to make sure your outline is spot on perfect before you try colouring in anything, the text on the boxes look quite rushed; especially on the PS2 box. Simple, symmetrical MS Paint work, not usually fond of it, but again, I like your idea of the concept of it; people should put more thought into Valentines gifts, nice try though; but I'd recommend practicing how you do 3D shapes, how to perfect your outlines and perhaps try out shading aswell.

Rating: 2/10

--

2nd Entry:

Made by: Chameleon Eyes
    Comments: What really bothered me about it would be: the grass colour; the green is too bright, perhaps try putting more effort into making the grass look more realistic rather than have a plain colour there for the sake of it. Plain Pokemon sprites; but I had quite a chuckle at this animation, so that's an extra plus. But the main problem would be the "grass" and the colour contrast of it.

--

3rd Entry:

Made by: Kai the Master
    Comments: Just a recolour with a heart or two on the tail. Reminds me of Strawberries, heh. Nothing much to rate here. So my rating for it is as it stands:

--

4th Entry:

Made by: Goatman56
    Comments: I felt quite sorry for your character in this entry, I suppose not everyone has much luck on Valentines :\ But onward with the comments: From observing this entry up close; I could see quite a little too much dithering in certain places. The hands don't appear very visible from what my eyes can see; probably due to the contrast of the particular colour you used to outline the gloves, perhaps also use a darker shade to make them seem more visible. The arms are also seem too thin for the body (unless you were aiming for that approach) Overall, nice entry, but I'd recommend you try toning down on the dithering.

Rating: 4/10

--

5th Entry:

Made by: Shylocke
    Comments: The blinkies on the entry seem to bother me quite a much, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for that. Trainer edits, eh? Haven't had them in a while. Well for the first coupling edit: My main put off would have to be the hair of the girl, the strands cascading down her head midway seem look a bit too close to the head; her trousers look as if they're falling down by where the pant legs seem to start, I see you didn't conceal the fact that the sprite originally had a skirt properly. The male seems too look a bit female (unless you were going for that approach) otherwise I don't see much wrong with it, except for the thick black outline on his waist and the light patch on his shirt (which seems to look contradicting to the light source of the trousers, try to only stick to one lightsource; plus compairing the male to the female, she doesn't look as if any light is actually there on their lower bodies.) For the second coupling sprite: The trousers of the female seem a bit misaligned on her left leg; try to make sure you perfect the outline of the sprite before you try recolouring it, because the least you can do is make a little careless mistake like that. I like the colour scheme of her hair, but I think you should've used a darker shade of yellow so it doesn't blend in with her face too much. An excess black outline cascading up her waist on the left which needs to be taken care of; her jumper seems rather crinkly in places. Again, I don't see much wrong with the male; the hair bothers me, seems a bit too thick on the top part, perhaps try thinning it down? I've also got the impression that he's wearing lipstick. That's probably due to the colour you used for the outline. Overall; edits with quite a few careless mistakes on it (which I'd recommend you to either fix and/or try to avoid doing when making future trainer edits. Make sure you revise through any finished edits to correct any mistakes you may've done.

--

6th Entry:

Made by: feraligatr master
    Comments: The only thing I truely like about this entry would be the recoloured Feraligatr, otherwise I don't see much special about it. The same, generic, MS Paint line tool done background isn't surely something I found interesting, the black outline on the bottom of the wall of the left seems a bit thicker comparing it to the outline vertical on the wall by the picture. No shading what so ever on either the walls, window and floor. The Window seems generically done (might I add that you ought to not use the default MS Paint colours ONLY; thinking that they can make good colours for certain things? The prime example would be the sky, I'd recommend a darker blue rather than that Aqua) and again, the outline seems a bit too thick for the grass (aswell as jagged looking due to the excess black pixels) I'm pretty sure you've gotten my point by now. The entry seems rather dull and boring, without any shading on the background. The text bubbles also seem rather carelessly done aswell; besides the fact that you used a rather bright yellow (which may I add can be a bit edgy on our eyes?) you could'd used the circle tool and the line tool to make nice looking speech bubbles. Overall, not really liking the entry, but thanks for entering though.

Rating: 1/10

--

7th Entry:

Made by: Omega Latios
    Comments: I like the look of Latios' neck, but Latias' seems thin in my opinion; just by looking at this mugshot would make me predict that if you were going to show the rest of her body; then it would try corresponding with the neck, which would make her body look ridiculously thin. I find it a bit quizzical how you used black outline for the neck anatomy and implement only darker shades of both blue and red onto the wrings. If possible, you ought to've not kept the black outlines there, It makes the Eons look a bit flat. Pillow shading on the necks with quite a lot of dithering. Otherwise, a nice and cute entry.

--

8th Entry

Made by: ..:whitewolf:..
    Comments: Looks cute, but at first; the wing gave me a rather awkward impression, is it supposed to be on its back or on its side? The wing also lacks an outline (which is probably necessary to help make it blend in with the body a bit more); I see a few excess pixels about; and it doesn't look shaded on the legs (and when zooming in, you see there is no absolute shading on the legs) yet you have a shadow casting on the top half of its body, which makes its right leg look as if it was simple C&Ped on. Perhaps try adding shadows to the legs aswell. Recoloured Raichu tail, I like the sack of arrows. Overall, nice attempt.

Rating:4/10

--

9th Entry

Made by: ZephyrPlusle
    Comments: Another cute entry, but my main problem with it ould be the large amount of dithering. His position seems rather stiff, especially with how the ears seem to strike up; both in the same position (though his right ear looks a little thinner than the left) His body also seems a bit narrow. In my personal opinion, you ought to have replaced the black outline behind the ears with the darkest shade of scarlet you had cascading up and down his ears. Otherwise, cute entry; but try to lessen the amount of dithering.

Rating: 5/10

--

10th Entry

Made by: Naruto-Uzumaki
    Comments: Simple Trainer Coupling edit. Don't really see anything wrong with it (though you could've edited Brendan's clothes so it actually looks like his Emerald clothing =P) Simple edit, not really much to this entry, perhaps you could've tried shading the hearts aswell? Leaving it as one colour doesn't really increase its quality. Overall, plain entry, but seemingly cute.

--

11th Entry

Made by: DragonHeart
    Comments: A lovely looking dragon. Though besides the fact that its a character (Love Dragon) from your game storyline, I doubt it has much relevence to the theme (besides the hearts implemented) In my opinion, its left leg seems a little too far back; and its feet look long (unless you were going for that approach) The outline of the tip of its tail seems a bit too light. Otherwise, you've done a good job with this entry.

Rating: 7/10

--

12th Entry

Made by: Dardanel
    Comments: Upon looking at this entry, I immediately envisioned a box of chocolates :P Nice looking entry, though comparing the contrast of how they look with one overlapping the other, the angelic heart seems a little too light or the devilish heart seems too dark. One thing that bothers me about the blood red heart is its tail; a little wonky + where it starts (one side's curvy against the other which seems a bit more with an edge) the anatomy cascading to the tip of its tail seems a little thick. On the Angelic heart: As I've said, it seems a bit light, perhaps making the shades darker would've been better. I like how you've done the pink heart on it, and I'm supposing that you've implemented words aswell (which gives it a nice effect) Ditto on the Devlish heart (I think it says 'Keity' or something o_O) Overall: Decent entry.

Rating: 6/10

--

13th Entry

Made by: Sephiroth-Kun
    Comments: Nothing too special, unedited pokemon sprites with the only addons there, the bow and arrow and the heart, plus the text. Perhaps try putting more effort into making the bow, it seems generically done. I like the use of Nidorans there. Overall, a generic entry, thanks for trying, though.

--

14th Entry

Made by: vaati
    Comments: A simple yet classy looking entry. I really like the shading you've done on the rose. I also like the detail on the background (and at first, when I glanced at the heart in the bottom right-hand corner, I thought it was ripped off one of the Pokemon games, but knowing you I wouldn't think you'd do that =P) The only thing I'd have to complain about would be the text (I know, not really related to the actual artwork but heh) perhaps making it a more darker grey would help for people with a lot of brightness on their computers. Otherwise, it seems dull looking yet from it; it looks quite luscious. Nicely done.

--

15th Entry

Made by: 1nintendofanZ
    Comments: Nothing special, an edited trainer sprite. The main problem lies on the legs, I see you've mirrored them. They make it look as if he's curving his lower half towards you. Not typically font of the thick, black outline of what he's holding on his left hand. And I think it would've been preferable if you chose any other wings to portray Angelic wings, Lugia wings just don't seem to fit the part. Overall:

--

16th Entry

Made by: KageSora
    Comments: Recoloured Dragonite sprite. I like the addons you've added (mainly the bag, though it would've been better if you used a different colour for the outline, not black) and the contrast of the Dragonite wouldn't look so good for those who have low brightness on their monitors, so perhaps using lighter shades of red would've been slightly better. Overall, just a recolour; cute addons, though nothing special. The idea of it is cute, though.

--

17th Entry

Made by: Budgie_boy
    Comments: Very lovely looking entry. Seems pretty luscious. Though I see quite a lot of excess pixels on the background, perhaps try revising through them. Also, The thin leaf of the Rose on our left doesn't seem to connect properly to the stem, and is also coated completely in a lighter outline (perhaps try adding a darker shade to the outline cascading up from the stem to the leaf, stopping midway) and the other leaf on it seems a round (with a few excess pixels) There also appears to be a leaf missing on the rose to our right, aswell as a bump there; the leaf on it however, again; completely coated in a lighter outline, plus an unnecessary darker shade of green on the outline of the stem where the leaf is. I like the roses, they seem nice looking. And I like the shading on the heart inbetween them. Overall, quite a good looking entry, though the main problem you ought to look into would be the leaves of the roses and excess pixels on both the entry as whole.

--

18th Entry

Made by: Wolf_vee
    Comments: At first, they looked a bit like chocolate sculptures o.O; But that's probably just me again. The eevees look very adorable, I like how their muzzles tough and form a heart. I quite like the colour scheme aswell. But what mainly bothers me would be the ear of the Eevee to our right; it seems a little unusually shaped, perhaps cautiously using the Curve tool on MS Paint would be better when trying to shape the ear. And I see a lack of outline on the cheek of the same Eevee, aswell as its hind head a little far off. Don't really see why you added highlights to their mouths. But otherwise, don't see much wrong, really. Nice entry.

--

19th Entry

Made by: #1 Mimi Fan
    Comments: Another edited coupling sprite. The only thing I'm wondering is why there's outlines on the girl's leg. Is something supposed to be there? And the blue on the guy's trousers clashes with the colour of his shirt and it seems to blend in too much with the deep red of the girl's dress. Otherwise, just a simple edit, nice try though.

--

20th Entry

Made by: Esupio sono Kamereon
    Comments: I see you finally decided to finish a pixel art you've been working on since I think either October or November last year (either way, I don't know whether you were putting it off or just thinking about a design for it) but anyways, the first thing that caught my eye would be the shirt, it makes him look quite fat with how it seems to cover up much of the space between his arms. One foot seems lower than the other. And his arms look mirrored, infact are mirrored (judging by the structure of them both) His shoulders seem to look a bit flat, plus the majourity of shading I see on the whole entry is more or less just dithering. But otherwise, nice entry.

--

21st Entry

Made by: Allstories
    Comments: I could swear I saw an image like this on the web somewhere, anyways, I quite like your use of anti-aliasing, though in some places I could see a few little bumps on the outline. I don't really see much wrong with it. The grey pixels on Snoopy's left ear makes the bottom outline look a bit jaggy. But besides that, quite a good entry. Well done.

Rating: 9.5/10

--

22nd Entry

Made by: Phoenixx
    Comments: Don't really think this is classified as pixel art, just looks like an MS Paint doodle. I like the concept of it however, makes you want to know more about the past of the character that's in the entry.

Rating: 5/10

--

23rd Entry

Made by: shadowfuse
    Comments: I quite like this one, though the main problem with it would be the pillow shading, on the side of the heart and the claw. The jags on the heart's lip seems to clash with the tongue in their shading colours. Overall, nice entry, but the pillow shading put it down a notch.

Rating: 6/10

--

24th Entry

Made by: coreystranick
    Comments: This entry looks quite eccentric, besides the pokemon sprites, I like the hearts, though what bothers me about them greatly would be the low contrast, perhaps raising their contrast and using shades of a less meak red would've been better. The black outline covering the lower part of the heart by the Flygon doesn't really need to be there, simply use a darker shade of the current darkest shade on the heart rather than the black outline, and apparently, that was the only place you actually put the black outline, so it wasn't really needed. Overall, nice entry, but you ought to work on the colour you picked and their shades, as I've said, the hearts look quite low in contrast.

--

25th Entry

Made by: Cowrie
    Comments: Such an adorable entry, reminds me of the episode in the Pokemon Anime about those two Nidorans in love, anyways, I don't see anything wrong with this particular entry, I love the facial expressions, and the Female's blush is quite adorable. As you've said, the Nidoran idea is quite overdone, but to me, it never really gets old. You've certainly got my full marks~! :D

Rating: 10/10

--

26th Entry

Made by: Lady Demoonica Darkmoon
    Comments: I see a few missing outlines on the guy, mainly on the collar and the hat. I can't really say much about shading, there isn't really much even there. Also, what really puts me off about this entry is, when zooming in, you apparently see the whole of it horribly dithered, it really made my eyes almost water. You must've chosen a particular format to save your animation as, though it may remain as .GIF. Make sure you keep you entry as solid as it can be, without anything to apparently ruin its composure. The girl doesn't look that much feminine, plus I think their blushes should've actually been a light tint of pink rather than brown (unless it WAS pink until something happened to your entry) Also, the shades of pink you've used for the heart of your first and second slide are quite hard on the eyes, perhaps try going for a more lighter pink which you know can be see seemingly docile on the eyes. Good attempt on the entry, but unfortunetely, the negative aspects about it seemed to pulled it down...quite a lot.

Rating: 3/10

--

27th Entry

Made by: lugia_master
    Comments: Simple recolour, nothing special, though if there was supposed to be anything on the wings, then I can't see them very well, the colour blends in too much with the pink. Also, I don't see how this really links to the theme, besides the colours, which don't particularly mean anything.

--

28th Entry

Made by: Angel696358
    Comments: Pokemon sprites used, nothing special, though what's almost eye-bleading is the use of Cyan and bright green in the background, and the single red colour for the heart isn't really what I'd call attractive. Try not to JUST use the default MS Paint colours for the background, using shades of it would be more of a plus. Also, try to make the grass look like it even is grass, it just looks like green paint from what I see, and using Cyan for the sky isn't really what I'd recommend, a moderate sky blue would be able to do nicely for the sky (it's a default MS Paint colour, less hard on the eyes, it's right next to the Teal on the colour bar) Overall, nice try, but I believe I've already stated what I wanted to say.

Rating 1/10

--

29th Entry

Made by: fl0
    Comments: Again, the pink used is rather hard on the eyes. But I like the flowers ontop of the card. There happens to be white blotches on the text (you could've tried filling them with yellow); ordinary pokemon sprites used, overall, an ok entry, but what kind of put it down would be the pink and the lack of shading. Thanks for trying, though.

--

30th Entry

Made by: Iron Spriter Josh
    Comments: One thing I loved about this entry would be the blotches of ink from the Tentacool, gives it a rather vibrant look to it. Quite a decent looking entry, I quite like the facial expression of the tentacool. But just a use of pokemon sprites, which isn't nothing completely special.

--

31st Entry

Made by: thepokenater
    Comments: First off, I like the colour you've chosen for the sky, but what makes this entry seem a bit dull would be the orange 'land'; it doesn't contain any shading; but atleast you've shown that there are bumpy areas on the ground, but it would be good if you've added shading to it. Nothing much, once again, use of pokemon sprites only, plus a background, quite generic. Though the concept of the entry seems rather cute.

-------------------------
    Results
    -------------------------

1ST PLACE - COWRIE

nidocuddle.gif

--

2ND PLACE - ALLSTORIES

snoopylucy.gif

--

3rd place goes to those who've managed to get a 7/10 for their entries

------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats to the winners and thanks to the entrants for participating!

Last edited:

Domin-8

aka Unoringinally Funny
    Years
  • Wow. I did better then i did last time. I can't wait to hone my skills for the next contest.

Years
  • wow.... joint third, Surprisingly, Matt's always been better at spriting then me.

yeah I couldn't be bothered to do the arms ¬¬;

I had some troubles with the shoulders.

But not entries for me this month. So I'll be practising without pressure

Years
  • FIVE out of ten? I am sorry, but I can't see why you took of points because of my shading style, and my so-called "overuse" of it. I use this style because it makes the overall sprite look nicer, and why would you take off points for that? I'd like a little more explanation as to why I got this grade. It doesn't seem to make very much sence.

DragonHeart

Summer Fun!
    Years
  • meh... -.-;;

Not meaning to rant, but how did I get more points taken off for "irrelevance" than for my shading job??? *shot*

And certainly of no offence to Allstories, but his entry looked so well-done *to me* that it made me rather skeptical...

However, aside from the "long feet" I do agree with most of the comments, and anyway, this was the first contest I've entered, so I'm not at all used to the critiquing methods used... but I do plan to improve my work, that is, if ever a contest comes that my precious dragons (which is pretty much all I can draw) will be relevant to.... ^.^;;

Years
  • ZephyrPlusle said:
    FIVE out of ten? I am sorry, but I can't see why you took of points because of my shading style, and my so-called "overuse" of it. I use this style because it makes the overall sprite look nicer, and why would you take off points for that? I'd like a little more explanation as to why I got this grade. It doesn't seem to make very much sence.

Dithering is a good method of shading, but too much of it can ruin the composure of where ever it may be used, mainly on the ears on your entry. Some dithering in certain areas is fine, it's usually used to present a more lighter tone of the previous shading colour, it's not really fit to be used as a main shading style (since it can also make things look pillow-shaded) I do also judge on shading style (note that I do look at how you do your entry) hence why I took points off. The ratings I give people is simply my opinion, I thought you used too much dithering (in which I normally frown upon) hence why you've been given said rating. If you used a balance of shading styles rather than a simple 1 then I would've increased your mark a bit more.

DragonHeart said:
    Not meaning to rant, but how did I get more points taken off for "irrelevance" than for my shading job??? *shot*

Infact, I'm wondering why I gave you 6/10. You actually have 7. My mistake <<; I quite liked your entry. But the more relevence to the theme would've also boosted your mark up a bit, your entry showed some relevence, so that's probably good enough.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    For the love of God, ALL of you whom are complaining about Signomi's ratings please get a backbone...for one I agree with everything Signomi said (well, to a certain extent I'd say she was too generous with some entries) and for two, it's a bloody contest, does it matter if you were "robbed again"? Seriously, Allstories, don't be a sore loser, the rest of you, well...I would advise you stop entering contests as you're blowing this out of proportion.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Dardanel said:
    Nice going Matt... I am simply curious why... Like: Shading is wrong here, the outline is bad there, that kind of stuff...
    You weren't one of the people i was refering to in my post Rob, don't worry.

Last edited:

DragonHeart

Summer Fun!
    Years
  • vaati said:
    For the love of God, ALL of you whom are complaining about Signomi's ratings please get a backbone...
    I wasn't trying to give the impression that I take contests seriously, because frankly, I could care less about competition... It was the initial reaction I had that came out because I'm not really used to the idea of people I don't really know telling me their opinion of my hard work... I was simply voicing my opinion. And yes, I do agree with Signomi, just not on every little detail... she is who she is and I am who I am.

sorry if I talk too much... >.>;;

Back