• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you not like about dubs?

What is your viewpoint on dubs?

• They're awesome

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Some are better than Japanese, some are worse

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They're ok...but the Japanese version is still better

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • They Suck

Votes: 12 24.5%

• Total voters

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Ok, so we all know that just about everyone hates dubs, question is, why? Please list your reasons here, just don't start a flame war XD

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Wow, how narrow-minded you are, Digi. Not everyone hates dubs.

Basically, when one's Internet connection is too slow to download fansubs, one's only recourse is to watch dubbed anime on TV and scrape together enough money to buy DVDs.

If people complain about dubbed anime, then why don't they complain about translated manga?

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    wha? read it more carefully. 2 words make a big difference ;_; *breaks down in the corner* XD
    either way, I never said i hated dubs *still breaking down*
    (i guess i should say that this comes from half my friends who are either dedication fans or the fans that go hating the dub, and loving the Japanese version)
    maybe a poll would help then? *adds poll of doom*

anywho the manga question is probably because they have no way to compare it with the japanese raw text. Mostly because it's easier (IMO) to listen to japanese & understand it than to read it and understand

Years
  • Hmm... usually the voice acting, which isn't the best. Sometimes, the voices given to the characters just don't suit them. Also, I dislike how dubs change some terms that I've been accustomed to... but I guess there's nothing we can do about that. Oh, and another thing is how they change the names of some characters when they can be obviously said in one way... Can't think up of any examples right now... but hey... XD

But sometimes dubs aren't bad. Like Cromartie High. I actually like the dub for Cromartie High better than the original voice acting...

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I like dubs, I like dubs a lot. I understand the process that the voice actors go through and I respect them for still wanting to do a job where they get bashed by people who think they have the slightest idea of how Japanese works. I find the voice acting to be great most of the time, but that's actually because I watch more than what's shown on TV. Most of the people that don't like dubs base that on 4Kids dubs or stuff you'll find on TV, that's stupid, that doesn't make up much of what we do get dubbed. To find a dub that I don't like is pretty rare for me, and those are usually 4Kids dubs, most dubs are good and have great voice actors on them. It's not like every Japanese dub is perfect either, I can point out handfuls of Japanese dubs that have horrible acting and just bad choices in them.

I don't mind people not liking dubs, but nearly 99% of the time, they don't like dubs for extremely stupid reasons. The cuts, removing OPs and EDs from TV airings...really, what the hell do those things have to do with the dub itself? Nothing. If you don't like the TV edits, buy the DVDs and support the damn shows if you claim to be such big fans. "But the Japanese don't have to buy DVDs to see it all!" Yes they do, a lot of DVDs have things that are cut out of Japanese airings and even if they don't, the Japanese anime DVD market does really well because people actually support the stuff. Then there are a lot of people that don't like dubs because they aren't exactly like the Japanese version. They can't be, otherwise a lot of the speech would come out really awkward, I notice it in fansubs all the time, others just think it's normal. And honestly, how often do those changes have any effect on the story? Unless it's a 4Kids dub, never. I really wouldn't mind people not liking dubs if they could actually pump out some good reason, often it's just a lot of misinformed people who think they know Japanese from watching anime.

There are a lot of dubs I liked better than the original versions, FMA, Furuba, Bleach, Galaxy Railways, Spiral, the list goes on and on. It's often because the originals of those dubs were really bad, like the Bleach Japanese dub, I hate it. The choices they made for the characters were horrible, none of them really fit the characters, I'm better off just reading the manga, which is all I do now that the anime is stuck in filler and probably will be for a long while to come.

I could write a lot more on the subject, but I don't really feel like opening up a can of worms.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    i was watching pokemon in english the other day and i can tell you its like 100 times better subbed, as everything doesnt sound so lame and it is an anime after all so you should watch it with subs ^_~

Himawarii

LOOOONGITUDE
    Years
  • My opinion on dubs?I think they are amusing XD

I like dubs and subs the same,it doesn't really make a diffrence for me ^^

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
  • It depends on the dub and series for me...

Until this whole mess with PUSA and new VAs, Pokemon was a great 4Kids dub in my eyes...despite the whole turning onigiri into sandwiches and donuts.

The Sailor Moon English dub wasn't as bad as people made it out to be if you looked past the fact that some episodes were way off from the Japanese version...in fact, there were some moments in English that were better than the original.

Those two are just two examples (and the dubs I'm most familiar with) of halfway decent dubs. but my pet peeves of dubs are:

--voices that sound plain bad and/or don't suit the characters
    --cutting important episodes (some people don't unterstand that part of the reason that we get so many cuts is because other countries have stricter rules about what can be shown on TV than Japan does, but if the offending episode is important to the story, then it's annoying)
    --plot holes/inconsistency (the Sailor Moon S English dub is guilty of this, unfortunately)

enyce

banned
    Years
  • Dubbing is hit or miss with me. It can be good or bad. It depends on the voice acting, and how much is changed. Some dub's are better than their Japanese Proceeders, while some are good, but not as good as the Japanese. Then there are some dubs that are downright horrible.

What matters to me in a dub, is how complete it is. Voice acting, scenes of action. You know, the important stuff. I will admit now, I do not know a lick of japanese, but I will still say my veiws if a think a VA is good or not. If a VA is crap I will totally bash it. Now there are really good dubs out there. Like, Yu Yu Hakusho, FMA, Cowboy Bebop and Inuyasha.

The VA's are good, the violence and blood is not erased. Yu Yu hakusho, I never really seen in Japanese, but I love it. The voicing is superb, plus I have seen episodes 80 the moving target, 92 the proof, 93 Sensui's end, 82 if you could play forever, 83 game over, and 84 Kurama's anger and Gourmet's guest in japanese. The original music looks like it has been kept in. That's a plus, because I hear the same music. (I prefer english YYH over Japanese)

Then there are bad dub's like Naruto. The opening and ending themes are not concerns for me, because I usually hate Japanese music, so that goes for the themes. Then, the american opening is just as bad. The Voice Acting, is pretty screwed. This is one of the most, important things in dubs. There is a lot of talking, and dialouge, and if voices are bad. Dubbing is pretty much out the window. Naruto, a voice you hear in nerely every episode, ranks as one of the worst dub voices. Chouji, Jiraiya, and Sakura are pretty bad too.

Now, I'm no Japan-O-Phile, because I'm not too fond fo the Japanese version either. Although, it is superior. I still hate Naruto (his voice, not his character). Now of course he is in every episode. Wich is a problem, wich is why I stick to the manga.

I think, my point has been proven

Persona

Banned
    Years
  • It depends, really. Like the anime Inuyasha, I like the show with dubs, the voices suit the characters. Except for others like Naruto, the dubs make it seem like crap. I'd prefer the Japansese version in that case, even if I have to be stuck reading subs. Overall, I say some are better than the Japanese versions, and some are not.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    If I don't like a dub, it's usually because of unnecessary and/or frequent edits that were made. I don't really mind the voice acting, as long as it seems like it suits the character.

Yoko-Chan

Weirdo <.<
    Years
  • Well, some dubs are okay others are not. I prefer the Japanese versions with subs though.

Years
  • I won't talk dub vs. sub, as much as I'd like to (and the uncut SM S dub was more consistent or at least got the general gist of the story). My main (and only) issue with dubs is how they will, on occasion, cram in so much into one sentence to cover the lip flaps. I want flowing dialogue, I don't want borderline run-ons that are so tacked on to jar me.

I'm looking at you, Code Lyoko (it's a French dub, but still applicable). I know there are Japanese-to-English ones but I can't think of titles at the moment. Darn it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    The quality of a dub varies from anime to anime ... hence why I can't judge them all based on 4Kids :P

There are a number of good dubs out there though, but I myself would always prefer the sub though, it just feels more genuine to me. But it really doesn't matter as long as they only change the language.

And I know I may sound out of it, but I, for some reason, liked the Naruto dub. Which is strange cause I don't like Naruto all that much anyway. But it seemed better to me ... it was funny :P

Years
  • I actually don't mind dubs - I'm usually not too picky about what form my anime's in, so even if it's a dub, then hey, give it to me. There are some things I like better as dubs anyways. :>

However, if I ever truly dislike a dub...hm, I could cite things such as the occasional bad voice acting, and maybe a few other things, but those are really just minor annoyances that I'll probably gripe about once and then forget. The biggest thing that will get me is when things have been dubbed/edited in such a way to where the entire meaning behind an episode/major part of an episode has been changed, and I know it's been changed. Thankfully I haven't seen that happen in any dub I've watched lately (that I'm aware of, anyways), but whenever it does happen it's just like...ergh. No thanks.

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
    Years
  • I love dubs if they are done correctly, some are horribly done but the ones that are done right are awesome. Well, basically what I don't like in dubs is the poor voice acting and to a higher extent the editing. I really enjoyed FMA as a dub and there are other anime that are great as dubs but there are some, like the dub for Tsuioku Hen, that are just aweful. Even though I love some dubs I still prefer subs because...I just do.

Years
  • Some dubs are okay, but they always lack a certain.. edge that the Japanese can get i.e the character voices sound more eager and enthusiastic. Plus the dubbing sometimes leaves out some cool stuff! But in all, not all dubs are bad, the Pokémon dubs are pretty decent!

Back