• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you not like about dubs?

What is your viewpoint on dubs?

• They're awesome

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Some are better than Japanese, some are worse

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They're ok...but the Japanese version is still better

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • They Suck

Votes: 12 24.5%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I simply prefer subtitles, because to me it just feels like they aren't warping some text to make it fit.
    That's the thing though, a lot of fansubbers do change a lot of the speech to make it not seem so awkward. If you directly translate a sentence, it's going to sound very awkward. Those that don't change any of what's being said have some weird ass subs, and most people don't mind that because they're getting the "original" stuff, but the "original" stuff really only makes sense in Japanese.

Have you ever tried watching the "Oldies"?
    I've seen everything but Goranger~Dynaman.

Apparently the last episode was untouched in the dub, perfectly uncut (Or so I hear)
    It did, but even if it hadn't, that's what DVDs are for.

HashiriyaR32

GT-R Fanatic
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 2, 2008
    I prefer high-quality subs to dubs. One reason I hated dubs is that the VAs in english dubs start to get really annoying after a while. However my haterd of dubs does not extend to Cantonese dubs, especially cantonese dubs of Initial D (it's just as good, if not better, than the original). Blame TOKYOPOP for butchering the english dubs!!!!

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2007
    Agreement

I like dubs, I like dubs a lot. I understand the process that the voice actors go through and I respect them for still wanting to do a job where they get bashed by people who think they have the slightest idea of how Japanese works. I find the voice acting to be great most of the time, but that's actually because I watch more than what's shown on TV. Most of the people that don't like dubs base that on 4Kids dubs or stuff you'll find on TV, that's stupid, that doesn't make up much of what we do get dubbed. To find a dub that I don't like is pretty rare for me, and those are usually 4Kids dubs, most dubs are good and have great voice actors on them. It's not like every Japanese dub is perfect either, I can point out handfuls of Japanese dubs that have horrible acting and just bad choices in them.

I don't mind people not liking dubs, but nearly 99% of the time, they don't like dubs for extremely stupid reasons. The cuts, removing OPs and EDs from TV airings...really, what the hell do those things have to do with the dub itself? Nothing. If you don't like the TV edits, buy the DVDs and support the damn shows if you claim to be such big fans. "But the Japanese don't have to buy DVDs to see it all!" Yes they do, a lot of DVDs have things that are cut out of Japanese airings and even if they don't, the Japanese anime DVD market does really well because people actually support the stuff. Then there are a lot of people that don't like dubs because they aren't exactly like the Japanese version. They can't be, otherwise a lot of the speech would come out really awkward, I notice it in fansubs all the time, others just think it's normal. And honestly, how often do those changes have any effect on the story? Unless it's a 4Kids dub, never. I really wouldn't mind people not liking dubs if they could actually pump out some good reason, often it's just a lot of misinformed people who think they know Japanese from watching anime.

There are a lot of dubs I liked better than the original versions, FMA, Furuba, Bleach, Galaxy Railways, Spiral, the list goes on and on. It's often because the originals of those dubs were really bad, like the Bleach Japanese dub, I hate it. The choices they made for the characters were horrible, none of them really fit the characters, I'm better off just reading the manga, which is all I do now that the anime is stuck in filler and probably will be for a long while to come.

I could write a lot more on the subject, but I don't really feel like opening up a can of worms.

I agree with all of what was said here. For the most part. I have several problems with Dubs myself though... I suppose I can sum it up in one word:

Cardcaptors.

That was a bad dub in every way possible. Every way possible. Not that I'm disowning the series as a whole however. I have my small reasons for liking that English version it's that it is very good for young children. I actually have a better list of thoughts about Cardcaptors at the Netflix review area that I should really be pasting over here, but I don't feel like logging on right now... *meh* Later perhaps.

Anyway, my opinion is a bit one sided considering I haven't seen both versions of most of my favorite anime series... Most often I love the Japanese versions and haven't found an English dub that I'd rather watch. Although I'm either way with Full Metal Alchemist myself, they did that really well! I don't mind subtitles either.

Geez... I had more to say on this topic, but if I get pulled away from my thoughts for more then a minute I'm toast. Stupid laundry. If I remember the other things I wanted to add I'll edit or post later, or something...

Great topic by the way!

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    I certainly don't hate good dubs, if they're wonderful translations like Haibane-Renmei and to a lesser extent Inuyasha, I don't mind them at all.

As for BAD dubs? HATE.
    KILL IT WITH FIRE.

I used to hate all Arabic dubs when I was five. We had channels showing a couple of English cartoons and mostly anime- I'd get reallly irritated if I saw an American cartoon badly dubbed in Arabic because I already knew what was in the original and would be like 'that's not how it goooooes' and 'that's wrong!' and refused to watch any Arabic show for years. I live in Saudi Arabia and I don't make friends with kids at school, so, I couldn't speak my own language until I was seven years old because I thought all shows in Arabic were dubs or stupid soap operas with clown makeup. Or the news. Guh. (There was news in English too! What do I do wit the Arabic news? :P) and ended up this weirdo who stumbled in her native language but spoke fluent English. Hah, figures. xDD;
    As for anime specifically? I liked the English dubs of old, but some of the cuts were just SO OBVIOUS. But I settled with them 'cause I figured the channel airing them cut it and I couldn't find a channel with whatever language they originally were in, so I thought that that was the original.
    There was one Arabic dub I liked and the episodes didn't even air on TV, but they kept songs in their original langugae.
    I've /ALWAYS/ loved watching things as I think they were meant to be watched, in their original language.
    I just don't like dubs that change things, if everything is left alone, I'll watch it, but other times I'd like to watch it raw, then with subs to see how much I understood. Hey, if I could self-teach myself to speak English fluently with only like, Looney Tunes and My Mother The Car, I could probably teach myself Japanese from this stuff. :P

Ichigo Flash

Box-kun
    Years
  • I prefer watching subs because I believe it has more of a natural atmosphere while watching it and the voices sometimes fit alot better than when dub'd.

However I like DUBS for buying DVDs. Fansubs are great but when you get a DVD and turn on the subtitles....I've found many don't make sense and are immensely incorrect.

My FMA 6 Disk Set was an excellent example of this.

Arlynn

Fourteen
    Years
  • I think it's because the voices seem so unrealistic, and much more fake compared to the Japanese versions. Some of them are decent, but most are just plain annoying.They don't match the characters. In English animations they design the characters after the voice actors, alot of the time. They don't have that advantage with dubs cos they're already designed. So they seem more faked.
    Oh, and in alot of dubbed anime, they change the names. ;-;

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Oh, and in alot of dubbed anime, they change the names. ;-;
    No, they don't. I can probably count the anime that have had major character name changes in the last five years on one hand. 4Kids was really the only studio that did that and that they're out of anime, you won't find many name changes.

Back