• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Horde Encounters!

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
  • Hordes are a feature that arrived in X & Y that allow for wild battles to feature 5 Pokemon at once, Pokemon are more likely to be shiny and some even have their Hidden Ability, however they can only be caught one on one. They were a burden for some, however others learned to love them. ORAS brings the feature back but with an exciting twist.

Horde Trainer encounters

aug_p22_08_en_wpn.jpg
    aug_p22_09_en_gte.jpg
    aug_p22_10_en_rkd.jpg
    aug_p22_11_en_xle.jpg

So, what do you think of Hordes in general? What Pokemon are you hoping to see this time?

and most importantly, what do you think of the brand new Horde Trainer feature?

hey look we get to fight team magma at a new location!!

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • OH GOD NO. I hated horde battles. Now with trainer hordes? Hell damn it.

Fine, I'll admit. As much as I hated horde battles, I have to agree that battling 5 Team Flare members underground one by one was terribly silly.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    Definitely an interesting mechanic. That's really clever, haha! Better then having to battle the grunts again and again @_@ But yeah it could be really difficult too. What if they have 5 Magmortars!? D:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The first thing that came to my mind upon learning about trainer horde battles: "lawd have mercy". That is, until I realized that Swampert can make hordes a breeze with its easy access to spread moves in Surf/Muddy Water/Bulldoze/Earthquake/Rock Slide. While Sceptile and Blaziken also have access to Rock Slide, Swampert gets the easy end of the stick with its wider variety of spread moves.

All in all, it's interesting that hordes came back in OR/AS.

Years
  • Horde Trainer battles seem cool, an more realistic imo, because they aren't just gonna sit there if someone comes and fight you 1v1 if you are intruding thier plans lol. I think it seems cool :D

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Definitely an interesting mechanic. That's really clever, haha! Better then having to battle the grunts again and again @_@ But yeah it could be really difficult too. What if they have 5 Magmortars!? D:

then u better pray to Godney or Beysus to save u

I'm not really worried about the type of Pokemon they have, Horde encounters are always lower leveled, which is shown with the 5x Level 18 Poochyena against the level 34 Grovyle. However what if it's like x5 Mightyena where at least 2 would have Intimidate ;-;

Anyway this feature really interests me, I hope it isn't limited to just Team Magma/Aqua. I wonder if it would count as a Horde battle if 1 trainer sends out 5 at once lol? Could have some in Victory Road or s/t

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    They should have the pokemon equivalent of The Power Rangers appear for horde trainer battles. They could have five different pokemon colour coordinated to them. (Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Pink)

They could travel around Hoenn (like Gabby and the cameraman) supposedly protecting Hoenn from team Magma/Aqua.

It would be pretty funny.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • A Horde of Magma/Aqua Grunts should be fun. I wonder how else they will utilize this new feature in the game, unless it is just restricted to Team Magma & Aqua right now.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I'm not really worried about the type of Pokemon they have, Horde encounters are always lower leveled, which is shown with the 5x Level 18 Poochyena against the level 34 Grovyle. However what if it's like x5 Mightyena where at least 2 would have Intimidate ;-;

Anyway this feature really interests me, I hope it isn't limited to just Team Magma/Aqua. I wonder if it would count as a Horde battle if 1 trainer sends out 5 at once lol? Could have some in Victory Road or s/t

Or worse, all five of them have it. Btw the place they seem to be at looks like it may be either Lilicove or Slateport, likely deeper in the game as that sceptile is level 34. So we may not have to worry about a horde of Mightyena :) Unless they pull that on us for the very end.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, I'm glad to see that the evil teams are finally thinking a bit and attempting to use their superior numbers to their advantage now. And at least I know I will be able to EV train easily in ORAS.

Years
  • The only thing I didn't like about Hordes is that most of the time they were just 5 Pokémon of the same species, sometimes with just one different Pokémon.

I realize that has its uses (it is actually something I've taken advantage of before), and I guess it makes sense that Pokémon of the same species team up in the wild, but those screenshots with Team Magma's Horde seem to mean that Horde Trainers will still just be 5 of the same Pokémon, maybe with one of them being a different one.

If they're going to team up 5-on-1 against us in an attempt to prevent us from messing with their plans, they should at least try to use Pokémon that cover each other's weak points, or something like that. Instead they'll just save us time so we can go back to chasing their leader sooner.

So basically, I was not hoping for any specific Pokémon to appear in Hordes if they returned, as long as each individual Horde encounter was more varied than in XY, but it seems they won't be, even in these new Trainer Hordes, so they won't be something I'll pay much attention to.

Years
  • Joy of joys I can't wait to fight five underleveled Poochyenas/Zubats/Mightyenas/Golbats all while the game lags horribly.

...I do wonder if this means some of the Trainer's Pokemon will have their Hidden Abilities like they do in wild encounters, though.

Years
  • Guess I'd better throw that idea of doing a blind Nuzlocke out the window now…

In all seriousness that is not something I saw coming. But my question is, what trainers other than these grunts could we see doing this? Just imagine a horde of Ace Trainers…

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    It's pretty cool that they're extending Horde Battles to Trainers, too. It could definitely give some areas more variety in battles!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I've been waiting for this for years and it's exciting to see it implemented. Probably a really scratch idea that will be exclusive to very few encounters though. I think it'd be exciting to see the Winstrates battle as a horde!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Imagine if Horde battles becomes a new battle style in the Battle Frontier or something....

Years
  • Horde Trainer Battles sound like they may be challenging, especially if you lack a move that hits multiple foes. I like it 8)

@^, if it does that would be awesome. I can totally see it being a thing in the Battle Pike, which is all about luck.

Back