• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Cinccino vs Emolga (NU Matchup #7)

Which do you choose? :3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
It's almost been a week sooo!! Both of these Pokemon are fast, and both very frail, with defences at 60 for each of them. Adding to them, they have a speedy way to get out of the battle, with U-turn and Volt Switch, respectively.

Lxy1I.png
6219A.png
VCU5Y.png

When comparing the two, I want you to also base it on which you'd use competitively, which do you think has the better chance, which you used in-game, which you like the design-of best, and what strategies you think one could use to beat the other. Each week these polls will continue until all combinations and tiers are used up (each Pokemon compared will be from the same competitive tier). To find out more about tiers, and how you can get the most out of these Pokemon, check out Battle Center. So which do you choose? Don't forget to post in the thread when voting in the poll, either![/CENTER]

Years
It was hard picking between these two because they're so cute but I had to go with Cinccino in the end due to having better abilities and less weaknesses than Emolga.

Trust me, Skill Link and Technician are such awesome abilities for a Pokemon with lots of multi-strike moves like Cinccino, which learns Tail Slap, a move that can be deadly under the right conditions. Skill Link makes it always hit 5 times, while Technician boosts the power of each hit and I tried out a Technician Cinccino and she was able to take out loads of things not to mention 90 BP Wake-Up Slaps! Gotta love having a nice Fighting-type attack that like in its moveset.

Emolga's stats are kinda lacking aside from Speed so this was why Cinccino won for me.

Years
Cinccino of course! It has way more superior stats and it's really interesting looking. I hate Emolga so it was an easy pick for me. Plus, does Emolga even have an impact on NU? Didn't think so.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Both Cinccino and Emolga had the ability that potentially make the opponents unable to attack, but I'll pick Cinccino for more versatility of using moves than Emolga. (If using TMs of course)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Cinccino > Emolga. Even before it got Skill Link, Cinccino is somewhat good, IMO, as Technician boosts the power of its normally weak multi-hit moves to usable levels.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Emolga. This may not make sense, but let me list a couple of reasons.

1) Electric vs. Normal type. Normal type has no strengths.
2) Normal types fall easily to Ground type moves like Earthquake while Emolga has Levitate.
3) Emolga can learn Volt Switch without the need for a TM. If it ends up out for the wrong battle, it can instantly cause damage and turn back around to bring out something else so the turn switching isn't a waste.

I may also be swayed by the fact I'm prepping Electric types for the Mistralton Gym (W2 version) right now. Emolga still hasn't been trained, but that's because I have two and am thinking of using an AR code to find the better IVs between them.

Cyclone

blue

gucci
Years
I haven't used either of these so I can't really base it on my experience. I'll go with Emolga, as cute as they both may be I think I prefer it's design, typing etc.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Jeez, what a tough choice - two of my underdog favorites from this gen. I used both in my recent White playthrough, and in fact multiples of both. When I figured out how good my first one actually was, I went back and caught a Jolly Minccino with a nice attack IV, and I actually bred Emolgas so I could get one with Air Slash (and Jolly nature as well). And both of them are EV trained for max attack and speed.

Head-to-head, I'd have to go with Cinccino just because of Rock Blast. With Technician or Skill Link, I just don't see an Emolga outlasting a Cinccino with Rock Blast.

As a team member.... I'm not sure. Emolga probably fills a more useful niche on a team, but it's a small niche. Cinccino is a bit more general purpose, but doesn't serve general purpose as well as some of the other normal types. But Cinccino does have a great movepool. Pretty close to a toss up, to me.

Personal preference is close too. I really like both of them, but if pressed, I'd have to go with Cinccino. She (mine's a she at least) is just so cute, and so deadly, and Emolga, IMO, is not quite as cute and not quite as deadly. Close, but not quite.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Can't say I like either that much, but if I had to pick I'd go with Emolga. Although I despise this trend of pointless electric rodents, I have to hand it to Emolga for at least being slightly interesting, with the fact that it's a flying squirrel and all.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I'll add one more reason I like Emolga that I overlooked earlier; someone's (I forget who, but claimed to know Volt Tackle) sig. once had an anime bit that featured Emolga, and it was busy pinching Pikachu's cheeks endlessly (poor guy). Would love to see that again. The cuteness factor won me over as well even though I find it a major annoyance in the game going against it.

Cyclone

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Emolga proved more difficult in-game for me than Cinccino so I'd probably use Emolga competitively. With Volt Switch and decent speed, you can switch out until you have the right matchup. And to be honest, I'm not all that familiar with Cinccino, but frailty does seem like a downfall. Emolga always seemed to wall my attacks for some reason. ;P

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Ya I like Cincinno more. It's strong and useful where Emolga just seems outclassed by other things for its purposes.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
I will vote for Cinncinno. Its a great addition to my NU team and there are very few people who doesn't use Cinncinno in their NU team. The reason is high speed+Technician/Skill Link+A lot of less power/multi hit moves.

Dmatt

Medium-Rare Trainer
Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2014
Cinccino is a *beast* in competitive battling. What I love the most about this, is that she (or he, but to me it's more of a she) looks absolutely adorable, which makes her deadliness even funnier :D

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I will vote for Cinncinno. Its a great addition to my NU team and there are very few people who doesn't use Cinncinno in their NU team. The reason is high speed+Technician/Skill Link+A lot of less power/multi hit moves.
...did I get a bad-IV version in Black? I always thought it weak and didn't enjoy its movepool other than possible TMs. My Emolga in White 2 is tearing things up, meanwhile.

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
I definitely vote for Cinccino. Like Aryan said, it's high speed, ability (Skill Link) & multi-hit moves such as Tail Slap always does decent damage to foes.

Even without Skill Link, it still has Technician which is pretty useful. I tried Emolga in-game & it served me no use, just like a few other Mons.

People do equip Rocky Helmets to high Def Mons as counters tho + the Life Orbs attached to Cinccino does damage to it as well, serving in a KO.

Back