• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"OBJECTION!"

tigerBLADE

1000://PowHammers
Years
aka, the Ace Attorney topic. Is anyone else a fan of the Ace attorney series of games? Just to give you a list of the Ace Attorney Games:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Justice for All
Phoenix Wright: Trials & Tribulations
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations
Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations 2
Ace Attorney 5 (coming soon!)

But, well, if you have heard of these games and played them before, which game is your favourite, and why? Do you have anything else you want to share about your experience with the AA games? Feel free to post them here. :3

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Ace Attorney is a great series. Heck, prior to this and last year, I almost exclusively had Ace Attorney avatars. Needless to say, I'm a big fan. It's funny, has a great localization, and it's clever, how could I possibly keep myself away from it?

My favorite Ace Attorney iteration is probably the one that gets the most fanfare, Trials and Tribulations, and with good reason. The story for that game and the characters it introduced are some of the most interesting in the series (which is saying something, since AA has a knack for making interesting characters) and a very engaging and cleverly strung together story to boot. Godot would probably be my favorite character in the series, as I love his satirical on-the-spot anecdotes and his overall personality.

Years
I loved the Ace Attorney series (I say loved because I'm not sure any future games will be released here since Investigations 2 wasn't), although I probably came into it quite late.

I remember just taking a chance on Apollo Justice and it was brilliant so I bought the first three games and they were all fun too. I never got round to playing the first Miles Edgeworth game and like I said the second one isn't out here (I think) so I haven't played either of those unfortunately.

My favourite character was probably Godot, but my favourite one off character was Luke Atmey just for the awful pun in his name.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Always liked the Ace Attorney series, and hell the reason I bought UMvC3 originally was because of Phoenix Wright. (who I ironically don't main anymore.) I won't lie, I'm a fan of court drama and investigations, so I had a blast playing the first Ace Attorney game.

If you were to ask me a year ago, I'd have said I liked all games in the series. But looking back, I really don't. Aside from the first game (which holds a special place for me) and Ace Attorney Investigations (my personal favorite), I'm not big on the others. Justice for All was tedious and uninteresting for 3/4 of the game, and the last case, despite being perhaps my favorite in the series, doesn't save it. Trials and Tribulations, I hated the whole fey controversy, and Dahlia was pretty bland as a villain. So that rules out case 1, 4 and 5. Case 3 had a great criminal with a neat concept, but fell short because of...well it's self explanatory if you played it. I just hated it. Case 2 was the only good thing about that game for me. And Apollo Justice...I liked it better than JFA and T&T, I'll say that.

It also holds true for the prosecutors. Edeworth was cool at first and unlike Franziska and Godot didn't overstay his welcome, but it's primarily thanks to Manfred von Karma. It also helps that he was the prosecutor before Manfred, so he didn't feel underwhelming in comparison. I hold Manfred as the best prosecutor in the series, as he was the only one that I was literally intimidated of, and the only one that actually felt he was much more powerful. The guy was literally unstoppable until the end. The idea of facing a legendary prosecutor was genius that counters your arguments and controls not only you but the judge as well was genius, and the new prosecutors were just completely underwhelming in comparison. Yep, I didn't like Franziska and Godot as prosecutors. I liked Franziska better than Godot though, because she didn't have a completely cliche backstory. Klavier (...I forgot his name. He was forgettable.) was the worst, though. I don't want the prosecutor to be buddies with me. There's a reason why you don't face off with Edgeworth anymore.

The reason I like Investigations the best though, despite the glaring flaws, is because the whole concept of it is much more appealing to me. Although I do like the court room, I much prefer detective investigations. (I do hope to be a detective at one point, so I'm probably biased.) I had the most fun playing that game and I really enjoyed investigating. I always felt the investigations part in the main series wasn't fleshed out, but they fixed that in investigations and made it its own game. Not once in the game have I ever felt "I miss the court room". While it's true the game was ridiculously easy, I actually had fun solving the cases, pinpointing the criminal and find clues and connecting them. I felt like a child watching Blue's Clues. I also really liked the story as well. It didn't take itself too seriously (Trials and Tribulations...), and if anything felt comical and charming. (Alba's rebuttal was pretty much a parody of the series' "final bosses", with the ridiculous excuses and dragging. I loved it.) That was backed by how colorful the characters were. I felt, personally, that Investigations' cast was the most fleshed out and varied in the series, and they were just charming and lovable. Helps Gumshoe was at his best in this game, too, being my favorite character and all.

That said, as visual novels, there are much better games out there on the system. But calling them visual novels seem...wrong. AA is a point and click adventure where its main strengths lies in its characters and over the top silliness, and not it's narrative. To me, it's very similar to Metal Gear Solid in that sense. Though I feel Shu Takumi made a superior game in that sense with Ghost Trick (I like investigations better, still), but the series is definitely worth a playthrough by anyone. If if it came down to it, however, in terms of story-focused games on the DS (and in general), I'd choose Hotel Dusk any day.

Last edited:

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
Im a fan! :D Haha... I have played the first 3 games and I have started Apollo Justice. But due to problems I havent been able to continue it.
My favourite game is Trials and Tribulations due to its story line and characters. I realy liked almost all characters in the series but there are few who I liked more than others. And Ill list them here.
Godot: The coffee drinking well-dressed prosecutor. The very definition of cool in the series. Other than his looks what made a great impression to me is his story arc and theme song. (There isnt many jazz themed songs in the series)
Manfred Von Karma: The dominating force of courtroom. This guy scared the **** out of me in the forst trial ge was in. That was the first time I felt realy outnumbered... Also his fingersnaps are second to none. (also he has the best OBJECTION! voice)
Furio Tigre: ROOOOOOAAR of the tiger. His theme is also one of my favourites especialy some of the remixes. Also I like these Yakuza themed characters.
Damon Gant: The....*stares* This guy...is just...scary, fun, dominating, overpowerfull all in the same package.
Kristoph Gavin: The Coolest Defence in The West. I liked this character for more personal reasons. He looks and acts a lot like me... well atleast to the outside. :D

tigerBLADE

Years
Hm, well, allow me to share my experiences with these games... Well, my first Phoenix Wright game was Trials and Tribulations, to be honest. At first, I thought it was weird, because originally, I've only heard about these series of video games by watching a friend play the first Phoenix Wright game, so, you can imagine my surprise when I found out on the first part of the game,you were actually Mia Fey, and not Phoenix Wright. How could they be the same game? Well, actually Phoenix Wright did show up, so, I knew for sure that this wasn't the same game, but, in the same series. However, despite that, this game was a hell of a lot of fun to play! This story was intense, with a lot of memorable characters. The same held true when I played the rest of the Phoenix Wright trilogy. Everything about them was very epic, imo!

Oh god, speaking of quotes:

Edgy: "I object! That was... Objectionable!"

and

Mia: "Well, we all know who's milkshakes brings all the boys to the yard..."

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
DIE TIGERBLADE!

The only one I've actually played was Justice For All, but it was definitely an interesting game. It had a lot of witty humor that was perfect to me.

tigerBLADE

Years
AA5's box art has been revealed!

fID637v.jpg

And these are some scenes from case 2:

Spoiler:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Capcom recently released a rather in-depth trailer of Ace Attorney 5/Gyakuten Saiban 5!

Featuring:

• [*]What I assume are the new Pursuit and Cross Examination/Allegro themes
    [*]Apollo Justice as a playable character
    [*]More of Kokone Kizuki's mysterious machine
    [*]The introduction of animated cutscenes
    [*]Improved 2D artwork
    [*]Gameplay
    [*]And more that I'm definitely forgetting​

There's also a button that I assume allows you to see the logged text (in other words, you can see what was previously said). If so, that would be a GODSEND. It's rare that you find a Visual Novel that doesn't have this functionality, and as much as I love Ace Attorney, I'm amazed that it hasn't been added after 5 (maybe 6 and possibly 7) games. Here's to hoping.

tigerBLADE

Years
Looks like it also have some DLC too! Maybe more costumes and new cases? Because one of the things that I wished in Gyakuten Saiban is that somehow, more cases can become down-loadable (whether it be fan based or not).

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 23
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
ZOMG ACE ATTORNEY.

I've played aaallll the games except AAI 2 since capcom didnt release it outside of Japan. It was enjoyable and its one of my fav game of NDS. And omg AA5 looks awesome. Cant wait! Btw did anyone realize Phoenix is with a new shirt?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Yaay, AA5. I'm glad it's already been announced for here. I started playing Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney but it was really slow going since my Japanese isn't really at the right level for it (I had to stop and look up words a lot). I need to pick it back up now that I have free time but even what I played of it was a lot of fun and it made me really nostalgic for the whole AA series. I love it especially for the puns and jokes, though, so I'm just glad I won't really have to confider importing AA5... I can just pick up the localization. :D

I think my favourite AA game might be Justice for All. It's the first one I played, because at the time I tried to get into the series, I couldn't find the first game anywhere in Canada since it was out of print. I love all of the games, though. I wasn't a big fan of Investigations but I still enjoyed the dialogue a lot.

Man, I've been wanting to replay all of these since I played Ghost Trick again the other week. :( I'm trying to hold off until we have a release date for AA5 here though so that it can be a plot refresher before I play that.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Eh, I'm replaying Justice for all, and, well, do any of you like Matt Engarde?

I'd figure that I should find ways to like him more... but I can't. Unlike Manfred von Karma and Damon Gant, I really don't like this villain, because of the total hell that he put everyone through trying to solve this case, and once slip up, and oop! He's made to be innocent.
Well, actually, I do see that it was a creative twist to the story; I just... didn't like it very much.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
That's the thing I like about him and what made him my second favorite criminal in the series.

Spoiler:

Case 4 in that game is one of the best cases ever, if not the best case. It's really on par with the original's case 4, imo. Just completely clever.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
I kinda enjoyed the Engarde case. Not much though. He wasnt realy as great villain as some other characters. Also it was pretty obvious (in my opinion atleast) that he had something to do with it.
But my thoughts about the AA5 trailer:" Looks good and sounds nice. Im sure it will feel like an aa game. Only thing Im conserned is the prosecutor. I realy hope they make him a more menacing one. Atleast he looks like it... I realy didnt like Klavier and his "buddyness". :/

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Really, I thought the JFA case 4 was probably my third favorite final case (Not counting Rise from the Ashes, that's a unique case), right behind Apollo Justice's and, in first, Trials and Tribulations' (thought the latter should be no surprise). I thought that the entirety of the case, as well as the concept for it was very well done and creative, easily making it my favorite case in the game.

Oh, and I really liked the song "2002 In the Midst", a Search song that plays during the Matt Engarde case. Easily my favorite of the Search themes.

...Though if there is one gripe, it's that typo.

Having said that, JFA was my 3rd favorite favorite of the Ace Attorney titles and...probably my fourth or fifth favorite AA title (the title battling for the same place being AAI).

Last edited:
Back