• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    You know i quite like these final evo's im probably going for mijumaru if it's real.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2016
    I want the grass type evos to be real so bad! It's like an epic grass Dragonair!

I'm going with Tsutaja either way, haven't chosen Grass type for a while (excluding HGSS), and I don't like the water starter.

Houndoom Shinigami

Ruler of Shinigami
    Years
  • Hmmm...I don't really know. After all, Serebii isn't any offical Pokemoin site, so I'm waiting for the CoroCoro, Pokemon Sunday, etc, for starter confirmations. They look cool somehow though.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • If those starter evolutions are real, I was so right in thinking that Pokabu would turn out best, Tsutaja is second and Mijumaru is the worst. And I had a really weird feeling I wouldn't be.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2010
    Fifth Generation Pokémon

The fifth generation starter Pokémon all look great this year. Which I am glad. I had some hard times choosing the one I wanted. I first ended up with the fire pig, Pokabu. Then, I grew out of it realizing how cool Tsutaja had looked! Who couldn't love this green grass snake/lizard!

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • A collection of pretty interesting posts from Pokebeach:

I agree with both posts quoted above. It would make sense for them to have two starters in back to back gens that have a reference to the same thing. They might clash in the anime.

The three brothers thing makes me think that it will be a triple battle for the gym badge. It would be a great way to introduce the concept, just like the double battle gym in Hoenn.

Mijumaru and its first form are Sea Otters and then they turn into a Giant Otter (actual species) with a bunch of shells on its body.
    Tate and Liza gave you your 7th badge. Hardly introducing the concept when we'd already had enough double battles with random trainers.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    ...yeah, go discuss it in the fake/unconfirmed Pokemon thread for now.

Arolu

Time to cut some slack...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2010
    These starters are adorable! :D
    Definetley getting Mijumaru.
    I just watched some previews of the anime and it looks so cute in battle.
    Also, the cries of the starters are very animalistic and cute. Yay ~

MushroomZOMBIE

♪ ~Just A Social Distortion
    Years
  • Which starter will you get?

So who will it be? The grass snake Tsutaja [aka Smugleaf], the fire pig Pokabu, or the otter-y Mijumaru [aka Wotter]?
    I'm considering Tsutaja, btw. Or maybe Pokabu.

Tangela

I'M GONNA TANGLE YA!
    Years
  • Smugleaf fersure. I hate the other two. And besides, smugleaf is the mudkipz.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Merged with the starter discussion thread.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Assuming that the leaked evolutions are real (I still have my doubts, but signs are pointing to them being real), I'm going for Pyroink for sure. Sumo wrestling bipedal pig with fire beard? yes plz. :D

Years
  • Before I found out they were fake(?), I thought it was hilarious that everybody loved the Grass starter and it evolved into the stupidest looking thing in the world lol.

InfernoHo-Oh

has returned
    Years
  • I'll be going with Tsutaja! I don't normally pick the grass starter, but I like him! My friends are getting Mijumaru and Pokabu, so I'll have all three :D

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    If they are real, then Miju's final to me doesn't make much sense. I mean it's a sea otter. How does that thing relate to a sea otter? Anyways, I will still get Miju. Next in line would be Pokabu. Not a fan of Tsutaja's final.

Oblivion Wing

IGN: Havel 3DS Friend Code: 5215-3694-9757
    Years
  • I actually like Tsutaja's evos, and Mijumaru's evos, i don't like Pokabu's at all, the second one looks silly, and the third reminds me of Magmortar.

Pandesal

W - Luna! Trigger!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2011
    As much as I'd love to have a Pokabu nicknamed Lechon, I think I'll choose Tsutaja. I've never started with the grass starter during my first playthrough of a Pokemon game, so I thought Gen V would be a good time to start seeing as I rather like Tsutaja's design.

That is, unless I see a few more Pokemon I can make food-based nicknames from that I can place in my team. If that's the case, bye bye Tsutaja, hello Pokabu ._.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • I am so glad that finally made the fire starter bulky. For the past 4 generations the fire starter has been the fastest type out of the 3. But after I saw Mijumarus final evo I was pretty socked. That thing looks pretty beast, but for my choice as a starter I have to pick Tsutaja. I have a thing for the grass starters :]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back