• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    ...the point is that there is no point on having a thread just for the shinies of the starters. Besides, for shinies in general prediction we still have the sprite project thread. People will still see the thread redirect notice and maybe come to post what they think. Just wait, it's still possible.

Aaaand now we're all going to go back on topic. :)

The Red Chain

He's a smug grass snake with limbs! What's not to love? :D
    I want to SR for a shiny one right off the bat but I'm not sure if I'll have the patience to do it before playing through the game since I also want a shiny Victini. No, I don't really care much what colors a shiny has, so I won't be waiting to see their shiny colors. It sparkles for heavens sakes, no need for me to wait with that logic! Besides, they are gonna be gorgeous colors. ;D

I'll probably do a second play through next year or something whenever the third version comes out so I can get Mijumaru too. ^__^

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2010
    Out of all the starters I would choose Pokabu because it looks the coolest. There is something about Tsutaja that looks weird and Mijumaru looks a little bit overdone.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Just so I won't be screwed with type disadvantages against the legendary dragons (Reshiram and Zekrom), I'll pick Mijumaru in Black and Tsutarja in White. The reason why I voted Mijumaru was because I thought it wasn't appreciated enough, and Water is one of my favorite types.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Just so I won't be screwed with type disadvantages against the legendary dragons (Reshiram and Zekrom), I'll pick Mijumaru in Black and Tsutarja in White. The reason why I voted Mijumaru was because I thought it wasn't appreciated enough, and Water is one of my favorite types.
    Yep I'm getting Miju in Black, and maybe one of the others later on in white.
    People will flock to Miju once they see its evo. :surprised:

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2010
    If going off of just looks, I would go with Tsutarja or Pokabu. Both in my opinion look like pokemon from the older generation (back when they didn't look "overdone" as its been said about Miju).

Practically, I would probably go Pokabu, as based on precedent in the past four generations, a grass type isn't terribly necessary, there are tons of decent water types easily available, but Fire types are pretty rare...especially those with decent stats.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • Well, considering that Grass type is my favourite type of all times, and I always choose the Grass starter (the only exception to this being RSE, where I chose Torchic because firechicken >>> grassgecko, plus I wasn't a Grass type lover back then, and RSE were the first Pokemon games I played), it is only logical that I should choose Tsutaja. Not to mention, he's the best looking of the bunch, though admittedly I have a soft spot for Mijumaru and might trade and raise them both. XD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • For once, I'm going with the Grass starter this generation because I'll be choosing Tsutarja in White so I won't be screwed by Zekrom entirely. I'll still be picking Mijumaru in Black, though, because not only will I have a bit of an easier time against Reshiram, I also feel that it's not appreciated enough.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I usually love the Fire type starters, but I'm not too fond of Pokabu.

With these starters, I have a feeling that I'll pick one once I know more about their evos.

Either way, it'll be between Tsutaja and Mijumaru, and I have a feeling it'll be Tsutaja.. at the end of the day.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I usually love the Fire type starters, but I'm not too fond of Pokabu.

With these starters, I have a feeling that I'll pick one once I know more about their evos.

Either way, it'll be between Tsutaja and Mijumaru, and I have a feeling it'll be Tsutaja.. at the end of the day.

see oddly enough I'm very fond of Pokabu, because I really like bipedal Pokemon, and I think its cool how its different than all the other fire starters, being on four legs. People only reject Pokabu because it looks a tad different than the others, and doesn't scream fiery rape machine. Pokabu is the most unique of the 3 imo. Just because Pokabu isn't a Fire monkey or a lizard doesn't mean you shouldn't pick it.

Tsuutaja=Treecko Clone and Mijumaru's design is quite close to Piplup

Lickeh Lickeh

Lickilicky lover
    Years
  • I will have to see the final evos to make my decision, but from the first evo's I have to say that I will probably go with Tsutaaja.

In every generation I have always been going with the fire starters. In this gen sadly I don't think I would go with Pokabu.

Mijumaru just looks ridiculous and I don't really like going with the water starters, never really liked any of them compared to the rest of the starters eg: Blastoise<Charizard, Feralligatr<Typhlosion, Swampert<Blaziken and Empoleon<Infernape.

Although, this could all change due to the final evos being released.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I really think the bar for fire types is set too high, nothing is wrong with Pokabu, what were you guys expecting as a fire starter, a T-rex???

Rankurusu

WHITE VERSION AT LAST!!
    Years
  • I'm choosing Tsutaja because I always choose the grass starter, Until I saw the results on this thread I was beggining to think no one would choose Mijumaru.

2nd-Thanatos

Watchmen of Sector 2.
    Years
  • I'm gonna pick Mijumaru and I'm proud of it. I always like the water starter (but only got it once, Piplup). This time, actually, is the ONLY starter I like. He is cute and somehow, timid. And somehow, I like Pokemon that end with wicked evolutions, and sounds like Mijumaru will be the best.

Actually, I think every water starter's final evolution is the best of its generation. Blastoise, Feraligatr, Swampert, Empoleon...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back