• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Unpopular Anime Opinions

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
One Piece was boring and I gave up around episode 60. Too slow. Saying something considering I'm used to slow, long running series.

Levi in Attack on Titan was not an interesting character (he's normally praised).

Bleach's Bountou arc was good.

Naruto Shippuuden (minus the filler) has been a fantastic run.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
One Piece was boring and I gave up around episode 60. Too slow. Saying something considering I'm used to slow, long running series.

Levi in Attack on Titan was not an interesting character (he's normally praised).

Bleach's Bountou arc was good.

Naruto Shippuuden (minus the filler) has been a fantastic run.

I agree with everything but the last two XD

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
^ 2010-2012 me would've gone "ur tastes suck" on you both. :p But I can see why you guys would consider OP slow. I personally think it was just the right pacing for the first 300 episodes.

Then it began to drag. But I still enjoyed it because I marathoned a major part of it. Then, by watching it weekly, I came to realize how horrendous the pacing really is. :( I don't like Levi either. In fact, apart from Mikasa (dat mary sue), I don't really like anyone.

I was browsing MAL forums a while ago and I was surprised by the amount of people that said Steins;Gate was their personal fave of all time and pretty much the best anime overall. I still don't get it. What makes it so great?! ;____;

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen today
Personally, I believe Madoka relies too heavily on shock twists, and that a lot of people are putting it on a pedestal and claiming it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. While I respect you for liking it, there comes a point where it's just plain annoying to see magical girl anime as a whole being synonymous with Madoka.

Speaking of magical girl anime:
Cardcaptor Sakura > Madoka

What makes it so great?! ;____;
I'd say it's the solid, character-driven storyline, primarily in the second half (if I remember correctly, the first half focused on getting to know the characters).

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Personally, I believe Madoka relies too heavily on shock twists, and that a lot of people are putting it on a pedestal and claiming it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

... This is exactly why I liked Madoka :P I love stuff like that personally, but there are definitely reasons why it's not the best and ofc not everyone likes that kind of stuff.

Also I don't mean to diverge from the purpose of this thread but is Steins;Gate really not that good? I've had like 10 people tell me to watch it recently. ;~;

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
... This is exactly why I liked Madoka :P I love stuff like that personally, but there are definitely reasons why it's not the best and ofc not everyone likes that kind of stuff.

Also I don't mean to diverge from the purpose of this thread but is Steins;Gate really not that good? I've had like 10 people tell me to watch it recently. ;~;
People tell me it's good, I've read that it's good, but I can't get myself to watch it sometimes. I start an episode, pause to go eat, and hours pass and I just go to bed, haha. I only watch it for the main male character, Okabe. I don't care for any of the girls at all. It does pick up after 10 episodes, though. I'm at 12 now, which sucked up a lot of my time. I could have watched Hyouka or something. -.-

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
Steins gate is a fun ride possibly in my top twentyish favorites (not best but favorite) its really slow in the beginning but it picks up quite a bit around 10-12ish I really enjoyed it but if you dont like slow shows i have no idea why you wanna watch hyouka XD I love the dhow but its pretty damn slow (which is what i like about it)

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Tumblr gifs are cute and make me want to watch it sometime. Please don't tell me I'm alone in this. XD;

derozio

Years
Slightly spoiler-ish post. While I don't mention any HUGE spoilers, there are still slight ones ahead. Do proceed with caution if you haven't read Steins;Gate.

Pyrax said:
I'd say it's the solid, character-driven storyline, primarily in the second half (if I remember correctly, the first half focused on getting to know the characters).
Yes, it did. It was after episode twelve and that "twist" (the one that was supposed to 'wow' me - didn't) that things start to pick up in terms of pacing. What "solid" character-driven storyline, though? All it concentrates on after that episode is somehow trying to undo the things done by all the d-mails and trying to travel to the steins;gate world line. Sure, we get to know each side character a little more while the "undo" process takes place and Okabe does come to value the importance of the fact that time is a commodity that's better left as is - not something to be messed with - and gains development in growing up somewhat from a 'mad scientist' who just does what he wants to someone who actually understands that sometime you gotta make difficult decisions (or decisions that stomp all over the wishes of your friends) in life in order to get something you want (and that there's a consequence for all your actions) but I don't get what makes it so great that people call it one of the best anime there is.

It is good (with some flaws, too, obviously), I give you that. The concept of time travel was really intriguing, I'm personally a huge sucker for things like that so I already knew about the parallel world theory and really, really liked the concept behind the "time leaps". A somewhat clever usage of the LHC and black-holes there. :p BUT, I never had that moment in this anime that made me go "Whoa, this is just amazing!". You know, the mark of a great anime? One that "wow"s you? I never got that feeling from this one. So, whenever I see people go "Steins;Gate is the best thing I've ever watched" I'm left scratching my head trying to understand what I missed. :/

I mean, a lot of people called Gintama their best. I dropped the series multiple times in the beginning. But then I gave it a real shot, watched a few more episodes and now I do very well understand what makes it great. It is an amazing anime - just that it starts super slow (horrendously) and the first few episodes are, for god knows what reasons, actually COMPLETE FILLER.

Years
Dero you're going to hate me, buuuutttttt

I never really saw what was so special about One Piece, despite trying my best to get into it. It was just kind of meh to me. :/

derozio

Years
Don't sweat it, I understand really. One Piece isn't for everyone - the unconventional art style, that specific kind of humor and the slow-setup-with-huge-payoff style of arcs with a lot of wandering around here and there (adventure series after all :p) isn't for everyone haha. Plus, there's always the length too. Those who manage to get into it come out highly impressed with it. Those that don't...just can't get into it. :p

ALSO Sakura > Madoka. Yes.

Last edited:

Outlier

Most anime suck in my opinion. There are only a few series that I like to be honest.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Here comes a big one. Probably the unpopular opinion to end all unpopular opinions. Get ready for this -fanfare plays-

I actually like the Dragonball Evolution movie. Yea, as a live action adaptation of the anime, it's horrible. But as a movie in itself it's okay, and I like the Goku character xD

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
Some opinions of mine i believe are unpopular:

-SAO for me was actually good, the second arc was meh bt im expecting the 2nd season so much lol.

-I don't get the feelings of everyone about naruto, like, for me it isn't that good of a show, all the guy is doing is blabber about saving his friends, failing, crying a little and then doing the same thing. Pointless.

-I hate Attack on titan. I just hate it. The hate can flow but i don't care, annoying show.

-People saying Bleach was over after the soul society arc, no it wasn't. The bount arc is anime only, and practically non-canon so you can skip all the crap and go staright to the Aizen-arrancar\Hueco Mondo arc and that is it. Bleach has a lot of anime-only arcs with anime-only characters that come in the arc, leave and never to be heard of again. It is not ruining the show or anything.

derozio

Years
^ I think most people say that because Soul Society is considered the only good animated arc of the series by a great many @Bleach is over after SS. I personally agree. I loved SS. Everything after that bored me.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
Years
My unpopular opinions...?

I never liked YuGiOh.

I think Pokemon's anime is dull.

I actually liked, somewhat, Digimon Zero Two, and the Hunters arc of Digimon Xros Wars.

I don't understand the Dragon Ball series.

I think 4Kids only had ONE good dub, Dinosaur King...

Back