• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Unpopular Anime Opinions

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Shonen are manga designed to appeal towards children. It literally means a young boy.

If you look at it like film ratings it would cover U, 12, 12a and 15 and you wouldn't show a child a film with a 15 rating would you? Of course there are things like Doraemon which are undoubtedly made with children in mind but then there are series like Ie Naki Ko, Galaxy Express 999, almost the entire Gundam franchise and FLCL. Shoujo is the same things series Utena, Rose of Versailles and Oniisama e. Jojo is undoubtedly shounen (although I hear the latest one has been bumped up an age range) and a majority of it was published alongside the likes of Dragon Ball and Yu Yu Hakusho. I'm only in part 3 of Jojo but I have to say I think moving out of Shounen Jump will allow him a lot more freedom, even though I'm not a big fan of the series I am looking forward for reading the latest part.

But the quality of shonen as a whole is much lower than other genres due to the age of the intended audience, and you can't deny that children in general have lower standards than adults

In theory I would agree with you but my experience begs to differ. Most of the series I mentioned in the previous paragraph far exceed the majority of Seinen. Of course we have our Naoki Urasawa, Ino Asano and Nobuyuki Fukumotos but honestly good Seinen is just as hard, if not harder to come by than good shounen. I mentioned in my last post about my dislike of a lot of the more accessible seinen series, adding rape and gore does not make a series more mature.

So I'll stand by my original point. 90% of everything is crap.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
In theory I would agree with you but my experience begs to differ. Most of the series I mentioned in the previous paragraph far exceed the majority of Seinen. Of course we have our Naoki Urasawa, Ino Asano and Nobuyuki Fukumotos but honestly good Seinen is just as hard, if not harder to come by than good shounen. I mentioned in my last post about my dislike of a lot of the more accessible seinen series, adding rape and gore does not make a series more mature.

So I'll stand by my original point. 90% of everything is crap.

Usually I disagree with most the things you say but this... this is amazingly true XD

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Pupa is good.

I feel like that an anime has to have a good balance of animation/characters/story to be any good. Like some people settle for anime with a great story and subpar character development and bad animation (those are interchangeable) but for me if it lacks all of those at once I'm probably going to lose interest pretty fast. That's probably why I finish 1 anime out of 20 a year. Lilith can attest to that!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
It was a pretty interesting show... Just cause the art was bad doesnt mean the whole show was bad. And it was the first anime rotoscope if im correct so give them credit for trying a new thing
That's why I said that manga is actually good =)
The show had pretty interesting story but... just no to the art... anime shouldn't try to be real.

Years
To be the complete opposite of the Opening Poster, I actually love SAO. :)

Then again it just happened to be the one to get me back into the MMO-Anime Fantasy genre so that gave it a big boost in my eyes. The world building was quite entrancing :P

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
I actually really enjoyed the endless 8 in Haruhi Suzumiya.

I appreciated Kyoto Animation's work and art the whole 8 episodes. Plus, it was still funny to hear Kyon's comments. x3

I don't like it when people give it a hard time just because they find it "boring." Sure it's the same plot the whole 8 episodes but it's not like Kyoto was lazy and just played the same clips 8 times. They actually animated every episode differently and had some changes in the dialog. It also got you into Nagato's head to feel for her character more. I think it was a great move.

Sorry that it wasn't all action and fighting all the time.

Pupa is good.

I feel like that an anime has to have a good balance of animation/characters/story to be any good. Like some people settle for anime with a great story and subpar character development and bad animation (those are interchangeable) but for me if it lacks all of those at once I'm probably going to lose interest pretty fast. That's probably why I finish 1 anime out of 20 a year. Lilith can attest to that!

I have to agree. I'm really picky on animation quality and art. If the quality of the animation and art is bad, more often than not I won't watch it. It may sound like I'm being judgmental but I can't stand it when companies don't put effort into their shows.

And also, sorry but pure fanservice doesn't make an anime good.

Super Bling

Clair pretty thick, huh?
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 10, 2014

What's unpopular about those? o.O (Yea, maybe only the fact that 4Kids and good dub is in one sentence).

I forgot to add this one.

If you don't watch opening and ending of an episode, you haven't seen the episode.

I thought the hoes loved 4Kids' dubs, or was there some sarcasm that I didn't get?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
I like dubs and prefer to watch them over subs when I can (sometimes I just don't feel like reading subtitles); I prefer plot and character development over fanservice and action (neither are bad, but just see them more as a bonus); and I prefer comedy and seinen over shounen and shoujo (I've just outgrown most of it now).

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I prefer plot
Plot? We all like plot, don't we?
1002321_562094513855070_1599568454_n.jpg

kuzronk

Banned
Years
.Endless Eight is alright
.NGE episode 25/26 are a good ending to the series and not the worst thing ever.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
I thought it was an alright end too. :p Although I didn't mind the fact that we got EoE as well. I liked it.

Oh, and Pupa manga is actually kind of enjoyable.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I've never really enjoyed Soul Eater. The art style just isn't my cup of tea. I dare not say that amongst my friends, since the consensus among them seems to be that it's the best anime ever xD

derozio

Years
I can adjust to almost any art style so I don't generally have problems. Like, recently, only Ping Pong sort of irked me with its super wacky art style but I'll still watch it :p

Honestly though, Soul Eater's art style has its charm. I like it very much. And it is far from the best anime ever - very enjoyable, however. x3

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
- Kill La Kill is overrated trash and its fandom is the absolute worst

- Also think that Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan is pretty overrated, but overall not bad

- I like dubs more than subs, depending on the show/movie

- I have a great disdain for most anime based communities, and generally don't get along with anime fans. It's one hobby that I like to keep to myself and dislike talking to other people about shows I'm watching or what I'm reading.

I think those are pretty unpopular opinions as far as anime and manga, at least from my experiences.

derozio

Years
The last one doesn't really seem like an unpopular 'anime' opinion. :p Other than that, yeah, I guess those could be called unpopular.

I love Kill la Kill. I'm the absolute worst.

OH, I remembered one! I think Steins;Gate is one of the most overrated series ever. While not bad by any means, it definitely is not 'best animu' material. Also, the movie was complete garbage. The fact that so many fans of the series still like it baffles me.

Last edited:

derozio

Years
Yesh, I've seen a fair bit of those on MAL. They like the movies better. :p

Back