• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
I am having a similar problem to Nara567.

I've created 2 custom maps (I am making a game including all 3 regions, Kanto, Johto, Hoenn)
I have place the 2 maps in a separate (new) bank under the bank no. 43.0 (New bark Town) and 43.1 (route 29)
I joined the maps using the reciprocal offsets and the correct bank number and map numbers.
In Adv Map they show they're connected and you can go between them flawlessly.
Although in game I cannot access either and they're surrounded by their border blocks.
If it's any help. I've used a warp access New bark town from Pallet Town
Rom: Fire-red

My response is exactly what I said to Nara567, unless I can see the problem first hand. I wouldn't mind if you sent me the .ips to look at. I've had many a hard time with map connections before but I can usally fix them if I play around enough.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
In truth those bytes are not as you say; for example the lake bytes are:

Behaviour: 10 00
Background: 00 10

Infact the second of behaviour and the first of background isn't changeable from AdvanceMap. I've still reproduced that bytes on my new block, but nothing happens.

So i think the way is another, but thanks for reply :)

If anyone have another idea, i'm here

Damn, sorry. I sorta jumped to conclusions over a possible solution, hell I think I was looking at a Leaf Green ROM too. That being said, I'm pretty sure it has to do with that behavior/background byte stuff.

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
My response is exactly what I said to Nara567, unless I can see the problem first hand. I wouldn't mind if you sent me the .ips to look at. I've had many a hard time with map connections before but I can usally fix them if I play around enough.

I've removed the warp to the map which has fixed the problem. Must have something to do with linking as if it was inside a building to an outside area.
Works fine now.. just have to join the lands by a different method.

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2014
Damn, sorry. I sorta jumped to conclusions over a possible solution, hell I think I was looking at a Leaf Green ROM too. That being said, I'm pretty sure it has to do with that behavior/background byte stuff.

Sorry but i'm very stupid...the problem was only i try to fish from an height of 3 instead of 2 :P

But now i've another question lol.

Anyone known a good tutorial for editing the world map from Advance Map? I know that Advance Map don't edit the graphic, but i wanna understand how to edit the place of towns. I've tried to change the X/Y position, and when i open my map the hero sprite is effectivelly moved in the new position and the name of the city is displayed. But when i move cursor, if i return to started point, no name is dysplayed and if i go to the original point, the town name appear.

Thanks a lot

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2016
It didn't seem to be working, but I was trying to connect two interior maps when I could've just added them together. So I did that.

However, I have a new connection problem. I'm trying to connect two routes now, but when I tried to add connections to them via AMap, it gave me an error saying that it could only search between 2 and 200000 bites or something like that. So I opened up the older version of AMap and now, whenever I click onto the map, it says,

"Access violation at address 004C15A7 in module 'AdvanceMap.exe'. Read of address 00000324."

Manganum

Your local sine wave
Years
I can't seem to index any sprites. I've followed multiple tutorials to the letter, but when I attempt to load the indexed sprite into NSE, I get an error. Here's a step-by-step rundown of what I'm doing, maybe someone can point out an error:

First I open the 64x64 sprite in MS Paint and change the background to a colour not present in the sprite (in this case, bright blue). Then I save as "unindexed.png" (not that the filename matters; it's just because I'll be referring back to certain things in order to explain what I'm doing).

Next I open "unindexed.png" with IrfanView and decrease the colour depth to 16 (I've tried with Steinberg dithering on AND off, not sure if it makes any difference).

Then I click Edit Palette and take note of the RGB values of the first colour AND the colour I set the background to. Then I swap them over and save as "indexed.png".

Next I open both the original unindexed.png and indexed.png in MS Paint, copy the sprite from unindexed.png, and paste it into indexed.png. Then I save (still as a .png).

Now, this is exactly what every tutorial I've looked at has told me to do. Here's where it gets annoying:

I open NSE, load up my ROM, and navigate to the trainer sprite I want to replace. Then I click File > Import > Import Sprite Data > Load Sprite.

I select "indexed.png", and get the following error:

Code:
The image loaded was not indexed or used an undefined alpha channel.

Now, I'm not sure if this is something to do with me running Windows 7 (since most tutorials I've seen seem to be running XP or older) and it has a different way of saving image data, or if I'm just completely missing some vital detail.

Does anybody have any clue what the issue might be? I'll upload the unindexed image; maybe someone will be able to get it working.

Spoiler:

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
I can't seem to index any sprites. I've followed multiple tutorials to the letter, but when I attempt to load the indexed sprite into NSE, I get an error. Here's a step-by-step rundown of what I'm doing, maybe someone can point out an error:

First I open the 64x64 sprite in MS Paint and change the background to a colour not present in the sprite (in this case, bright blue). Then I save as "unindexed.png" (not that the filename matters; it's just because I'll be referring back to certain things in order to explain what I'm doing).

Next I open "unindexed.png" with IrfanView and decrease the colour depth to 16 (I've tried with Steinberg dithering on AND off, not sure if it makes any difference).

Then I click Edit Palette and take note of the RGB values of the first colour AND the colour I set the background to. Then I swap them over and save as "indexed.png".

Next I open both the original unindexed.png and indexed.png in MS Paint, copy the sprite from unindexed.png, and paste it into indexed.png. Then I save (still as a .png).

Now, this is exactly what every tutorial I've looked at has told me to do. Here's where it gets annoying:

I open NSE, load up my ROM, and navigate to the trainer sprite I want to replace. Then I click File > Import > Import Sprite Data > Load Sprite.

Code:

Now, I'm not sure if this is something to do with me running Windows 7 (since most tutorials I've seen seem to be running XP or older) and it has a different way of saving image data, or if I'm just completely missing some vital detail.

Does anybody have any clue what the issue might be? I'll upload the unindexed image; maybe someone will be able to get it working.

Spoiler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT7-EedW7Dg

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years

Code:

Spoiler:

While you've already found a way around your problem, I can confirm that you were experiencing this because you were using the Windows 7 version of Paint. It doesn't support the saving of indexed images so it loses the colour palette if you begin working on it. While it can be okay as a really basic thing to doodle around in I've find it to also be pretty bad for sprite editing for other reasons in addition to the palette thing. If you ever want to downgrade from 7 Paint to the superior XP Paint like I've done then this link should help you out.

Years
Does anyone know if a flag is set after beating the elite 4 with their buffed levels in FR? And if so, which one is it? And which is set for the first time you beat them, for that matter...

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
How do I edit the intro for FR using XSE? Is there a place where the script is located where I can just click on it and edit it? Or can I just simply make the intro script and insert it somewhere? I would prefer the first just because I want all of the sprites and everything to show in the original start of the game. I ask this because I've seen people say that when they take out certain parts of the text with A-text, it leaves blank boxes and gets glitchy at times. Thanks.

karatekid552

Years
Is there a tool available that lets you change the attack animations of 3rd gen games?

No, there is no tool. There is this thread however: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=281520, where you can learn about the animations and possibly how to edit them. This will require hex editing however.

Eventually, we should have a tool, but we have to know enough first. I am currently learning Visual Basic and hopefully, I'll be able make some tools someday. Maybe, one for animations.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Does anyone know if a flag is set after beating the elite 4 with their buffed levels in FR? And if so, which one is it? And which is set for the first time you beat them, for that matter...

It's 0x0844. According to PKSV: "Controls difficulty of the default league champion in the script at 0x8162B76".

karatekid552

Years
How do I edit the intro for FR using XSE? Is there a place where the script is located where I can just click on it and edit it? Or can I just simply make the intro script and insert it somewhere? I would prefer the first just because I want all of the sprites and everything to show in the original start of the game. I ask this because I've seen people say that when they take out certain parts of the text with A-text, it leaves blank boxes and gets glitchy at times. Thanks.

I saw your post earlier and an idea just occured to me. Do some backwards searching. Find the location of a phrase in the intro, then open it up in XSE and keep going backwards until you find the begining of the script.

You would need a hex editor that supports .tbl files and a .tbl file for your rom. I don't know much about a-text, as it refuses to do anything when I click on it and I haven't cared enough to look into it, but if it prints out offsets for the text, you could work backwards from there also.

Nevermind, I lied. A-text does open. Also, my theory won't work. I found the pointer to the text but it doesn't appear to be involved in an actual regular script. The pointer to oak's first words is at 0x12F8F0. You could change this pointer to point to your own text.

Just write a script like so:

#Dynamic 0x800000
#org @msg
= Hey, this is my message!

Compile it and change the pointer to match the new location. Remeber, pointers are in reverse byte order.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
I saw your post earlier and an idea just occured to me. Do some backwards searching. Find the location of a phrase in the intro, then open it up in XSE and keep going backwards until you find the begining of the script.

You would need a hex editor that supports .tbl files and a .tbl file for your rom. I don't know much about a-text, as it refuses to do anything when I click on it and I haven't cared enough to look into it, but if it prints out offsets for the text, you could work backwards from there also.

Nevermind, I lied. A-text does open. Also, my theory won't work. I found the pointer to the text but it doesn't appear to be involved in an actual regular script. The pointer to oak's first words is at 0x12F8F0. You could change this pointer to point to your own text.

Just write a script like so:

#Dynamic 0x800000
#org @msg
= Hey, this is my message!

Compile it and change the pointer to match the new location. Remeber, pointers are in reverse byte order.
Alright! Sounds good!
And would the same events still follow? (asking names, rival name, gender) all of that isnt included in the message script ill be editing/replacing?

karatekid552

Years
Alright! Sounds good!
And would the same events still follow? (asking names, rival name, gender) all of that isnt included in the message script ill be editing/replacing?

All of the text, just by itself, appears to be stored in one big block. The offset that I gave you is part of the routine/script (I can't decide which) and is only connected to the text by pointers. Just as long as you only change these pointers, you should be fine.

Also, the problems you have seen with people using A-text probobly result from not getting rid of the empty lines at the end, which would result in empty text boxes, and not repointing the text when it out grows the origional.

Years
Open the champions' script, you can use of the flags there.

I did that, but I'm not sure which flag is which. I may have figured out which it sets the first time, but given that I don't believe any in-game events are tied to winning the second time, I'm not sure there's even a flag for the second time. And I'm not sure how to go about scripting one, since I don't want it to happen the first time the script is run.

BTW, this is an attempt to create a final boss battle (one that would only appear after you beat the rest of the game), so if there is another way to do it, that would work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back