• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Silver hack: Pokémon Dark Energy - Beta 5 Released

DaisukE

Just feel it burning ^^
Years
Awesome hack....
When does this hack will be completed??
I mean by which year...

One mor thing..it's a good hack but can't you keep choices in starter..I just don't like we've..I know you wouldn't do this just for me..but please..

Last edited:

ThorShadow525

Shadowflame Elitist
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 21, 2013
@miksy91
1.I just finished most of the hack(didnt search the AW lab) and i like it. I haven't played a good gen2 hack in a long time. While there are some understandable issues, both with scheduling on your part and with the hack itself, i would like to see some kind of end. Maybe just put an EO in other spots so all 5 can be gotten without adding new area? Not asking you to do it just for me.

2. Also, is the shiny rate higher than normal pokemon games? I got a shiny squirtle and 8 other shiny wild pokemon.

3. Im making my first hack now, so if you want to delegate some job of your future hacks to me or wish to help with mine, please PM me.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Awesome hack....
When does this hack will be completed??
I mean by which year...

One mor thing..it's a good hack but can't you keep choices in starter..I just don't like we've..I know you wouldn't do this just for me..but please..
I wanted the game to start so that you already own Eevee as a pet, so thus no starter choice.

@miksy91
1.I just finished most of the hack(didnt search the AW lab) and i like it. I haven't played a good gen2 hack in a long time. While there are some understandable issues, both with scheduling on your part and with the hack itself, i would like to see some kind of end. Maybe just put an EO in other spots so all 5 can be gotten without adding new area? Not asking you to do it just for me.

2. Also, is the shiny rate higher than normal pokemon games? I got a shiny squirtle and 8 other shiny wild pokemon.

3. Im making my first hack now, so if you want to delegate some job of your future hacks to me or wish to help with mine, please PM me.
1) The game is only a bit more than half complete. The storyline isn't supposed to end after receiving the Elemetal Orbs - in fact, you never even acquire all of them. Instead, the story continues in a way that's somehow related to what Adria's sprit tells you (one of the sidequests) that happened in the past.
2) Yeah, a bit more than 1% of all encountered pokemon are shinies. A little bit too high, could have been 0.5% instead or so.
3) Unless you're good, and I mean really good, I won't really need additional help for this or any further projects. It's just that I like doing things on my own unless I know I can trust somebody so that if (s)he messes up with the hack, there is more than 99.9% guarantee the rom is bug-free.

Well done on your Dark Energy hack, i'm enjoying it alot. (:
Thanks! :)

Though I still gotta say that I have no idea if I have the motivation to see this through and finish this hack. Sorry guys :\
Have had so many other things in life that I haven't had will to work on this much, or like at all, after releasing beta 4. Another problem is the fact that I'm not totally satisfied with this project - I'd like to do something even better. Thus yesterday I was in touch with a friend of mine who is also a good rom hacker, not as talented as I am but he knows his stuff to say the least.

We might just start a team project together! If we do, it's almost guaranteed that will be better than DE. When I started this hack, I wasn't ready - I couldn't plan the story well enough, I started messing around with the scripting engine and seeing how to accomplish all kinds of things. Half of this beta 4 is actually testing of several different things I was able to do.

Now I know what I can do (and what I cannot), and can form a new hack based on that knowledge. But I'm not promising anything though - we have really not decided whether to work on it or not just yet. But that's how it is... I don't think there will be beta 5, or final version of this...

Aerithya

Flay me alive. ∼
Years
Thanks! :)

Though I still gotta say that I have no idea if I have the motivation to see this through and finish this hack. Sorry guys :\
Have had so many other things in life that I haven't had will to work on this much, or like at all, after releasing beta 4. Another problem is the fact that I'm not totally satisfied with this project - I'd like to do something even better. Thus yesterday I was in touch with a friend of mine who is also a good rom hacker, not as talented as I am but he knows his stuff to say the least.

We might just start a team project together! If we do, it's almost guaranteed that will be better than DE. When I started this hack, I wasn't ready - I couldn't plan the story well enough, I started messing around with the scripting engine and seeing how to accomplish all kinds of things. Half of this beta 4 is actually testing of several different things I was able to do.

Now I know what I can do (and what I cannot), and can form a new hack based on that knowledge. But I'm not promising anything though - we have really not decided whether to work on it or not just yet. But that's how it is... I don't think there will be beta 5, or final version of this...

Oh that's a shame. >.< But of course there's more important things in life than hacking, but I hope you will start the project with your friend, the final result would be epic, just maybe make sure to finish the storyline it's supposed to have and it should be easier to continue there. (: All the best for you though! ^-^

miksy91

Years
Oh that's a shame. >.< But of course there's more important things in life than hacking, but I hope you will start the project with your friend, the final result would be epic, just maybe make sure to finish the storyline it's supposed to have and it should be easier to continue there. (: All the best for you though! ^-^
Yeah, we would start off by planning the main story, most significant events and so on. When we came up with something worthy of doing, we'd plan it out and after that, start making mandatory asm hacks and coding the hack basically.

Uh... I thought that I'll see revolored pocket monsters ;).
Didn't catch what you meant to say here... :\

So... again 2nd gen or some other?
Very likely a hack based on Gold or Silver. Crystal (and of course other games too) has it benefits, especially a thing called disassembly that is based on it, but I don't think we'll make use of it.

RunnningRaikou

I typoed my own username...
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 28, 2014
Hi there Miksy !
I just made up an account so I could respond to this thread. First let me say thanks you for Pokémon Dark Energy, a truly good pokémon game. Believe me when I say this is simply the best thing I played in a good while, and I play a lot (though it wasn't Pokémon).
I read pretty much all of the 28 pages in one go and I don't deny that I'm a bit sad it ends in such a sour note... for Dark Energy that is.

Please allow me, maybe to say a little thing. :)
I think it's pretty hard for a game creator to keep the same level of motivation for entire years when making a good game, especially a free one. I congratulate you for what you already achieved, even if, you said yourself that it isn't as good as you'd hoped it was. I read 28 pages a bit fast so I don't remember exactly everything. Though, I know you are one motivated by challenge. Challenge is quite thrilling, and that's what (in part, at least) got you to start Dark Future/Energy to begin with. Now maybe, I don't know, but I assume, the lack of challenge in it, in addition to other things linked to the hack itself, and your own life (other projects included) are why you may feel like Dark Energy isn't worth achieving.

I am not one folk that try to force or pressure anyone, please remember this, and bear with me. :)

My opinion is that you should take a good break, you deserve it. This game must have take a good chunk of your life, even if you were obviously passionate. Maybe you did or didn't feel like it, but it's always good changing things a bit, just so that they cool down, and be more refreshing when going back at it. I am, myself, a guy that like doing one passion at a time, and I always tend to go way too much at it, and burn myself down. So, I just keep changing. But not matter what it is, giving videogames examples, Pokémon, Sonic, a bit of LoZ, a bit of Mario, Mega Man, Pokémon again... I always tend to do a bit too much, so I keep changing places.
So yeah, maybe you deserve a rest. But I think you shouldn't just give up on the game. Here is why.

Pokémon Dark Energy is a masterpiece. Or as close as possible to what could be the best hack of GSC Pokémon yet. My argument isn't to say it is perfect, or that you couldn't possibly do better... far from it ! I consider, instead, the pleasure it gives to its players, myself included, that are even ready to make a new save, just because of how much they love it.
Look. This game is not perfect. Maybe, it is even that much challenging or refreshing to make anymore. Maybe even, it is technically outdated. However, Pokémon Dark Energy is truly a creation of passion. A game that fans enjoy playing. One time, twice, even more over and over.

Best games, aren't always most shiny or over the top. Best games are those that do just the thing right where it should be right. Best games are those that stayed deeply remembered by its players decades after they were played. Best games are those that touched deeply its players, and make them happy even remembering them.
Look at some titles : Pokémon RBY, GSC. Sonic 2. Super Mario Bros, Super Mario World. LoZ A link to the Past. Mega Man 2 and 3. Street Fighter 2.
None of these games are what could be considered the most technically advanced of the history of their franchise. None are the most deep, even if they are still quite deep. None are perfect. But all, have marked deeply their players and thus the history of their franchise.

When gamers talk about what they believe was the best videogame they played, passion is more important than anything. That's why nostalgia can play so much. But nostalgia isn't a bad thing. If the game is just outright bad, or insanely frustrating, the game is remembered in a negative light. There are quite many examples (I won't list) of retro games like this.
The passion, and sheer joy they felt while playing, that's what it's all about !

That's why I personaly think you shouldn't give up on Dark Energy, even if you take a long break from it. Pokémon Dark Energy left its mark on many of us. Players are really interested in what it will become in the future. Maybe you WILL make an objectively all around better game. I am not trying to dispute this. But I am here just to say it : for its players, Dark Energy hit on the mark right. We played it, we loved it. We hoped it is finished so we can spend moment of our lifes on it. We talked about it. We are already hooked to it. Just like we were hooked to Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal more than a decade ago.

Now, again, I am not here to force you Miksy. Not at all. A pressured and annoyed game creator that is not in love with its game is a bad one. I'd rather have you move on, in that case.
I just wanted to share my thought, and hopefully, the thought of most people that like the game :
"We really like Dark Energy, you did something right ! Please, Miksy, don't give up on it ! You have a made a good game and we want to play it."
Just take a well deserved rest, and, please, consider going back at it one day. :)

In final, everything is up to you. Thanks you for your attention.

Last edited:

miksy91

Years
Please allow me, maybe to say a little thing. :)
I think it's pretty hard for a game creator to keep the same level of motivation for entire years when making a good game, especially a free one. I congratulate you for what you already achieved, even if, you said yourself that it isn't as good as you'd hoped it was. I read 28 pages a bit fast so I don't remember exactly everything. Though, I know you are one motivated by challenge. Challenge is quite thrilling, and that's what (in part, at least) got you to start Dark Future/Energy to begin with. Now maybe, I don't know, but I assume, the lack of challenge in it, in addition to other things linked to the hack itself, and your own life (other projects included) are why you may feel like Dark Energy isn't worth achieving.
First of all, I'm grateful to hear you paid this much attention this project. I haven't gotten this positive feedback about it, or maybe I have but I don't think anyone has praised it this much before.

I really did my very best on this project and wanted it to be the best I could make, and I think I succeeded in that over time. However, I didn't have what it took to start a hack of this level when I begun. Let me explain for once :D

There are lots of ways to plan what the game will be like; what kind of storyline it has, what are the main events, personalities of important characters, worldmap look related to the events, and so on. When I started this hack, I first planned a few main ideas which Oak somehow describe you in the beginning of the game when you meet him in the university. That was mostly all I had decided at the time (in early 2011).
I kept going on and on; mapping new areas, creating fun events that didn't have much to do with the story though, and planning more story while at it. I kinda thought it could work - until I by the late of 2012, or so, figured how I wrong I had been.
Now that I have been taking university studies of IT, I have learned about the importance behind planning. Unless you plan things out from the start, they won't work out in the end.

Now I know what I should have done from the start - a "tree model" containing information behind the hack (Dark Energy). Trunk which would contain the main storyline, and essential ideas related to it. The trunk would have a couple of roots which would contain the next important things related to the game - in this case probably the most significant events and related to them, the worldmap design (where each significant event is going to take place). From them, a few other roots would branch which would contain information about minor events and character personalities. After them, at the end of the roots we would have things such as area maps, and their functionality and so on.

Now what I did wrong was to start from the end of the roots by mapping areas and designing the trunk part while at it. But how to describe it... it's like I have the ends of the roots, but some of the most significant parts of the roots are missing which would tie the storyline to the ideas.

Hard to tell how much this notion, and my problem, makes sense but actually, instead of it being too easy to continue with Dark Energy, I find it too difficult! It's not the programming part - I can handle it, but the storyline and planning just won't fit together.
I have taken lots of time trying to figure out a way for the hack to continue after the point when you reach Rocky Mountain, and I've got the most issues under control, but there are also issues I just can't solve. And I wouldn't want to finish a hack with a story that wouldn't make any sense- or even if it did, if the story was too generic and stupid I wouldn't want to get it done either.

I guess I just demand a lot from myself, but yeah... what I have planned out just won't do. That's also because if players at our age (judging by the creativity in your post, I'm quite sure you're no kid anymore) beat a game and find the story and planning stupid, they will probably feel the same about the creator. "Can you believe it!? This guy was born in 1991 and he still comes up with this kind of ******** as a 12-year-old would do!" Surely the programming behind Dark Energy is really good, but I wouldn't want to be remembered as a person who has the mindset of a child because that's just so untrue.
So there is more than just the hack - it's also about what kind of contents you want to release in public as yourself. And when, and if, I release this project, I want it to become something I can be proud of, and also in a way that I could easily tell any young adult I know about this and make them think: "Wow, you actually did that!?" instead of "A hack of...pokemon? Hahha! You're childish :P"

Also what comes to taking a break... I have been on a break for almost 6 months by now :P *haven't got much done since June when I released beta 4. I had plans for beta 4.1 sometime this fall but didn't get it done. Pretty much due to the though: "What's the point since I can't finish this hack anyhow (, at least the way I wanted it to be) ?"

In final, everything is up to you. Thanks you for your attention.
I certainly did read everything you wrote, part of it even twice since I had to read some of it again to be able to reply well enough. And of course, thanks again for your attention to this project as well! :)

But well, it's just as I wrote there. If I wanted to continue this, I'd like it to be brilliant in the end because anything other than that wouldn't just be worth it. There are lots of other things in life besides rom hacking and I'm pretty sure it would take me at least two years to complete this hack. So it ain't an easy task to keep motivated to it, and if you aren't sure you absolutely want to do it, there is no reason to even try to continue.

Last edited:

RunnningRaikou

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 28, 2014
Alright, thanks you for your answer. :)

I am in no position to judge, since I didn't study anything about game creation, and I don't know how you originally imagined to make Dark Energy back in the day. Indeed I didn't know it was such a problem. If I understand right, there isn't a good direction for ending it anymore, and you would rather try something new. I definitely see why you wouldn't like to continue.
It is really just me, but I'd play it to the very end even if the end storyline was too short /too abrupt /whatever. No game is perfection. As long as it keeps its general good direction, it will be enjoyable to us. But... I don't want too appear too persistent on this.

I don't doubt that you loved your creation, so I am in hope of maybe a revamp, if that can help. As I don't create game myself, I fear my view is too shallow and restricted, but if this problem is linked to East Suden (map) and its story line, I would have thought that revamping it entirely would be a good start. As you didn't create much there yet, I'd think you shouldn't have too much limitation.

Or maybe a remake and revamp of the entire game would be necessary. But if that's the case, I just want you to know there are people right are ready to play it. The title of Dark Energy in itself, is already a game to be remembered, so if you find any future will to do it, you'll have my support. Its name has a special value, that's why leaving it for a new project altogether won't make me (and other fans of it) forget it.

Finally, on the point of motivation in life, it is your right to move on toward better things. But Pokémon hacks are not to be ashamed of, especially when they are on this level of passion. Modding in general is not so much well received from gaming communites, unless they are very fans of something. But yeah... Just saying. You are maybe too modest. Dark Energy is a pretty great game, you know. :)

Thanks you again. I will follow the next (different) project I think, if I don't keep moving too much. {XD}

Last edited:
Reactions: Raj

RunnningRaikou

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 28, 2014
I can't get it to work :(

Describe your problem so someone can help.
Do you have a clean, non patched Pokémon Silver rom ? If yes, patch the Pokémon Dark Energy ips to it by using Lunar Magic.
I assume you already know how to do that, so maybe, your problem is from the rom used or the emulator.

@Miksy91.

After reading your post many more times, I came to the conclusion that indeed, the only way to go with Dark Energy is either cancelling it, or recreating it entirely. The 2nd option is what I would hope for, though, as you said, such an ambitious game is long to make and take many years, so I just hope you good luck, no matter what's your decision. ;)

miksy91

Years
Alright, thanks you for your answer. :)

I am in no position to judge, since I didn't study anything about game creation, and I don't know how you originally imagined to make Dark Energy back in the day. Indeed I didn't know it was such a problem. If I understand right, there isn't a good direction for ending it anymore, and you would rather try something new. I definitely see why you wouldn't like to continue.
It is really just me, but I'd play it to the very end even if the end storyline was too short /too abrupt /whatever. No game is perfection. As long as it keeps its general good direction, it will be enjoyable to us. But... I don't want too appear too persistent on this.

I don't doubt that you loved your creation, so I am in hope of maybe a revamp, if that can help. As I don't create game myself, I fear my view is too shallow and restricted, but if this problem is linked to East Suden (map) and its story line, I would have thought that revamping it entirely would be a good start. As you didn't create much there yet, I'd think you shouldn't have too much limitation.

Or maybe a remake and revamp of the entire game would be necessary. But if that's the case, I just want you to know there are people right are ready to play it. The title of Dark Energy in itself, is already a game to be remembered, so if you find any future will to do it, you'll have my support. Its name has a special value, that's why leaving it for a new project altogether won't make me (and other fans of it) forget it.

Finally, on the point of motivation in life, it is your right to move on toward better things. But Pokémon hacks are not to be ashamed of, especially when they are on this level of passion. Modding in general is not so much well received from gaming communites, unless they are very fans of something. But yeah... Just saying. You are maybe too modest. Dark Energy is a pretty great game, you know. :)
Damn... you're right you know! :)

And thanks to you, I can't guarantee it will since I would have to get motivated to it again, but it looks like DE might just continue after all! I just spent the whole morning taking a look at my notes (there was a whole lot to read there!) and writing a new story from scratch based on them.

And guess what... I actually found the ways to avoid the generic situations that would come up with the original storyline - and I'm a lot more satisfied with how it's turning out. Although I never wanted DE to be DB... now it sort of will be like that.

There are a couple of scripts and text strings to be re-written, and again for beta 5, players ought to start over from the beginning if they wish to know what the story will ultimately be about. As a major example, I will probably flush the idea behind "The Crisis" down the toilet! It is one of those things that cause major issues with fitting the story pieces together. And related to that, the beginning in Oak's place will be a lot less exciting than it was before. But it will be worth it in the end :)

But yeah... can't tell much for now but if things go according to the plan, I get the planning in shape and can start getting progress done for updated beta 4 (4.1).

P.S
All you people who like this game, thank RunnningRaikou who has a typo in his username, for the possible revival behind this project. If it wasn't for his motivation speech, I probably wouldn't have considered thinking, how to get those storyline issues in under control.

RunnningRaikou

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 28, 2014
That's really nice !
I hope Dark Energy will keep enough of a JRPG feeling, but as I said I'll support. When it is released, hopefully I play it I and can give some feedback on it. I am no professional reviewer but I played 4.0, so I think I'll comment on 4.1 and give my impressions. Usually I am only a random anonymous gamer guy, so I'll try my best.
I'm happy to see that Dark Energy might continue in the end. :)

Last edited:

miksy91

Years
That's really nice !
I hope Dark Energy will keep enough of a JRPG feeling, but as I said I'll support. When it is released, hopefully I play it I and can give some feedback on it. I am no professional reviewer but I played 4.0, so I think I'll comment on 4.1 and give my impressions. Usually I am only a random anonymous gamer guy, so I'll try my best.
I'm happy to see that Dark Energy might continue in the end. :)
Sure! It will definitely maintain the same kind of RPG feeling it has had this far. I'll just have to do a little bit of fixing and it ought to turn out good.

Cool, got to get something done first before talking anything else about version 4.1 though! I'll still be occupied with storyline and planning for a while after all.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 22, 2015
I havnt played pokemon in a long time. The new games lack the originality & the ds system as a whole i just dont like.

I staryed playing this on my phone & it made me feel like a kid again lol. I played theough in one night & realized at the end that i wasnt stuck the game was unfinished.
I agree with the feedback ive read from this.page though. Overall DE captured the basic elements & foundation of pokemon well & also had an added bit of difficulty. As a kid the gen 2 games were good, but as an adult they were played out & lacked challenge. Playing this hack the combination of the new storyline, map, & charecters as well as a more difficult game really held my interest.
I do agree the storylinE could use work but youve already figured out what i was about to say.
Ill keep an eye on this thread for a while & see how/if the next version is coming along.
Overall i liked the game alot though & id even go as far as to say id pay for it when its complete, especially since it looks like youve learned alot more since you programmed the current version.

Years
Overall i liked the game alot though & id even go as far as to say id pay for it when its complete, especially since it looks like youve learned alot more since you programmed the current version.

If the author releases the full version (not sure), he wouldn't sell the game as it would be illegal due Pokemon being protected by a copyright. All fanmade hacks and games are free ;).

miksy91

Years
I havnt played pokemon in a long time. The new games lack the originality & the ds system as a whole i just dont like.

I staryed playing this on my phone & it made me feel like a kid again lol. I played theough in one night & realized at the end that i wasnt stuck the game was unfinished.
I agree with the feedback ive read from this.page though. Overall DE captured the basic elements & foundation of pokemon well & also had an added bit of difficulty. As a kid the gen 2 games were good, but as an adult they were played out & lacked challenge. Playing this hack the combination of the new storyline, map, & charecters as well as a more difficult game really held my interest.
I do agree the storylinE could use work but youve already figured out what i was about to say.
Ill keep an eye on this thread for a while & see how/if the next version is coming along.
Good to hear you enjoyed my work in overall :)

Yeah, I have learned a few new tricks after finishing the current version but rom hacking is still quite different from regular IT programming so my skills in terms of scripting haven't really developed that much (at least with so unsufficient way of programming such as usage of the scripting engine of GSC. I could definitely learn more about assembly thogh even if I've already gotten the hang of its concepts as well.)

If the author releases the full version (not sure), he wouldn't sell the game as it would be illegal due Pokemon being protected by a copyright. All fanmade hacks and games are free ;).
I think he knew that. But yeah, that's true.
I will never sell this so downloading it will always be free. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone else tried to make money with this hack.

I personally bought a cartridge of Pokemon Jade while I was in Bulgaria in the late 1990s (or the early 2000s).

jade.jpg

RunnningRaikou

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 28, 2014
I think you should just do like Koolboyman did with Prism. An unavoidable hard coded screen saying that the hack is free and shouldn't be sold, so pirates could never sell it without their victims being able to realise it.

Back