• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever taken a break from Pokemon completely?

Years
  • Well, I pretty much take a break after I've run my course with each game. I finales topped playing Y two months ago, and while I'm itching to play more Pokemon, there is literally nothing else for me to do in that game. So, now I just wait until ORAS. Its pretty much like that with every Pokemon release. Play it non-stop for half a year, then wait patiently for the other half until the next Pokemon game comes out.

Years
  • It was during black 2 and white 2 they are the only pokemon games I did not finish. Something about the pokemon being so pixelated turned me off and I just left it at that. Of course got right back with x and y. I am really excited about the omega because I remember when the old one came out I think it was first time for double battles and it was different I really liked the hoen region.

Years
  • Well Ive had a few breaks.
    Back in about in very early 2000's I think I decided I would stop playing (by which I would still mess around on Gold but not get new (Gen III) games).
    However after watching my Friends brother play on Ruby (about a year or so after it came out) I decied to go back to playing Pokemon, so went out and bought Ruby (wanted Sapphire but they only had Ruby in the shop).
    Then I took a brake again deciding I would stop playing Pokemon (skipped over Diamond and Pearl). But then saw my brother playing Soul Silver so yep you guessed it decided to get Heart Gold. Then got Platinum latter on and have been playing continuously since 2010 (kind of skipped over White/Black 2 at first but got White 2 latter on) and have played all (at least one version) of all main games bar Fire red/ Leaf Green.
    Playing White 2 and Colosseum at the moment and trying to fully do the Pokedex on X!!!

Most Folks I know who are my age, who are playing Pokemon have done so since Gen one (like I have) but unlike me have never taken a brake and played right the way through.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I haven't ever taken a real break, though the percentage of my free time devoted to Pokemon does wax and wane a bit. I became interested in Pokemon later than most people I knew (summer of '99), but from then on, it's always been part of my life. I would say I generally put more hours into the even generations than the odd ones, though, with my low point being gen 5. I only played sporadically in gen 5, and I did very little with wifi, but I still played enough that I wouldn't really call it a hiatus.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2022
    I took a couple breaks I played Sapphire and absolutely loved it, had played Silver/Crystal/Yellow/Blue before Sapphire I stopped playing around 2005/early06. At first I just didn't care about Diamond/Pearl when they came out or even Pokemon at all really, but one my friends had an R4 and he was telling me about how fun Pokemon is (think he was playing Pearl) (this was in 2010 I think) and I got a TTDS and downloaded Platinum played it for a bit battled my friend but we both stopped playing after awhile. Then Black and White was coming out and I wasn't too interested in it but my friend called over to me one day and just said do you want to get the latest pokemon game? and I was like "yeah" and we tried to race through Black/White to see who was better which I didn't enjoy as much as I had enjoyed previous Pokemon games (it just wasn't as fun). I skipped Black White 2 (so did my friend) and was planning on never getting XY because I didn't want to buy a 3DS and I was never able to get wifi working on my DS so I just didn't see the point. During 2013 summer I was playing on Pokemon Showdown, and eventually played through BW2 but that was boring to me, XY was too but somehow still enjoyable. Can't see me taking a "break" from the games like I have previously again

Last edited:

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • I stopped playing around the time I had important exams coming up. That was about two years ago and I'm only now getting back into battling on Pokémon Showdown.

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2015
    I took a long break back when I was a kid. About 9 years, in fact .I had a nightmare with Meowth, causing mom to toss all pokemon stuff <.<"

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Yes, I remember after I'd been playing Pokemon Diamond for a few years, I become bored with the entire series as a whole. From around 2010-2012 I didn't play Pokemon at all and focused entirely on Super Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl, I was even competing in tournaments, doing well and had my own clan. Then back in 2012, I bought Pokemon White and Pokemon SoulSilver, and started trading again.

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2014
    Longest break I've taken from Pokemon was around 2 years. I still read anything new about it, but I didn't touch the games nor the anime. I came back to the franchise after X & Y were released.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2014
    From 2000-a few years ago. After the first season, the TV went downhill for me and I didn't grow up around anyone 20 years within my age.
    Anyways, what brought me back to it was X and Y. I'm in my mid 20 now, and I needed a release due to the job market and everything else. What kept me in it is I found a large amount of the people who play it are my age.

USC Yuuka

The USC
    Years
  • I stopped for almost 2 years when I lost my Pokemon Black & Emerald with my DS and stopped following it about 2 weeks later, not to mention that my mom had confiscated my 2 other DSes and snapped my GBA in half uwu Then I just got back into it a month and a half ago when I bought a 3DS with Pokemon X.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • I took a break after Ruby version. Skipped FRLG (I've only played it last year on my phone) and I only got Emerald about 6 months after it got released.

This doesn't really count as a break, but I didn't really play Gen V as much as I would. After playing White version for a bit I kinda stalled and switched to other games such as Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter. I still played Gen V, but at a much slower rate because I don't see myself enjoying it that much.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2016
    I took a break from Pokemon between BW and B2W2's release, because I got bored with BW. However, it only lasted for about 2 months.

pyx

I will never repeat myself... I will never repeat
    Years
  • No, not really. Sometimes I just have so much to do regarding school that I cnt get back to playing, but I never actually "quit" to be honest :P

Xaldin

Big things come in Nice packages.
    Years
  • Ever since my 3ds got stolen during high school I've had quite a break on it. it had my White 2 in there and a load of EV trained pokes,so i didn't play till the rest of the junior year,and sometime during my senior year. But then i found this forum,did some Challenges,when afk for a while,and now i'm back!

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    For me, it was when these particular moments in life happened. In order of course.

1 - Losing my copy of Silver in a fire.
    2 - Having my DS and Pokémon games stolen.
    3 - Getting so frustrated with Platinum that I started to think that playing Pokémon in general was doing more harm than good when it came to relaxing.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I was really disappointed by gen 3, so from about 2004 to 2008, I didn't play pokemon much at all. It's hard to say I was complete out though, as I despite not wanting it, I actually got Emerald for Christmas one year and would play it every so often. If Emerald didn't have a good postgame, I think there's every chance I wouldn't be a pokemon fan right now. I think my Mum might regret getting me Emerald for Christmas now, and I think my brother suggested she get it for me as a practical joke {XD}

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    If I did, it was either very short-lived or I was only playing it really, really sparingly. I think for a month or two I wasn't playing it, when I had reset my ACNL village and after I beat the Elite Four, but before Pokémon Bank was released.

Honestly that's a question I never asked myself but I guess it would be no, I haven't really taken a serious break from Pokémon!

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I've never taken a break from Pokemon and I don't have any intention to.

Admitedly I don't really breed or battle competitively, so there's usually downtime where the most I do is trade pokemon.

Back