• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever taken a break from Pokemon completely?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I once quit from Pokemon back at October 2012. It wasn't really anything about getting bored of Pokemon or such that got me to quit, but more of an emotional scar on me that I really don't feel like talking that much... But hey, might as well say it.

So this Pokemon that I have bonded and brought to all my games since Pearl ended up in a corrupted save file of Black, which got me to a mental shut off from other people and basically crying for at least 2 days straight and not touching anything Pokemon-related for months.

And when I finally overcome it and played Black 2, the save file got corrupted after only 3 months of playing.

So continues the mental shut off from Pokemon 'til I got Pokemon X and Y.

oh man I feel your pain. I had a horrible experience when I accidentally deleted my Melee save file and when I lost my first Sapphire cartridge.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2015
    I took a really long break from Pokemon... like 2 years i think
    my friends got me to watch alot of Other animes and Series that i just Forgot about pokemon completely.
    when the pokemon TCGO (Trading card game online) came out i stated playing it a little bit and i just remembered how much i love pokemon

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    I have.

I remember buying the Nintendo DS on the first day it came out, for the same price my 2DS cost actually (inflation? where?). When I got that I was heavily into handheld gaming, but I remember I didn't really stick with it that long. I got to Emerald late 2005 which came out on the GBA - unfortunately my DS didn't get as much use as I intended...

2006 I started getting into different things, like Warhammer 40k and music. Because of that I kinda fell off the Wagon with DS gaming and that general area. By the time Diamond and Pearl came out I think I'd given up completely, spending money on Warhammer miniatures rather than games that would last longer (since I gave up Warhammer a few years ago).

I didn't get back into Pokémon until a few months after Pokémon X and Y were released, I kept telling myself the mega evolutions looked stupid and like Digimon. However, after seeing a review of the 2DS by Ashens on Youtube (check him out he's well funny) and deciding it looked good, I put an order in for a new 2DS and Pokémon X. I also ended up buying versions of every game I'd missed, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, White, Black, White 2, Black 2. Unfortunately, the generation 4 games I bought turned out to be fake copies - I've just managed to get some real copies!

425 hours later with Pokémon X and a Nuzlocke on Y, I'm happy to say I got back on the Wagon and am super excited for the Hoenn remakes this year, mostly because I sort of never left Hoenn, I played Emerald on and off for several years. Along with Leaf Green they're the save files I have all of my Pokémon from 2003 onwards on, well, had them on since they're now all in Bank!

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I was quitting Pokémon and video game in overall, in about 5 years ago, when I was staying away from video games for several reasons, until decided to be back to video gaming, and Pokémon, several years later.

GeraldTheTheroiest

Pokemon Theroiest
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2015
    I remember i stopped playing the games after Gen 4(stopped watching the anime after the 2nd season) still haven't bothered with Gen 5 because it feels like a chore to lay through them, although X and Y have really intrigued me and i enjoy playing them and going back and playing Gen 3 reminded me why i love pokemon so much.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    About 6 months after B/W's release, I stopped playing Pokemon. I skipped over B/W2 completely. I didn't even know it existed until X/Y were announced. I got back into Pokemon about a month before the announcement of X/Y.

Guest123_x1

Back in 2005-06, I tried to get off of Pokémon entirely, to focus on other things, and also because I was starting to have some reservations towards it. Of course, even though I went through to the point of turning in all my games, I never got off of it completely, for I continued to post on Pokémon forums, and kept my movies, as well as my anime episode tapes (one cassette which I bought, the others were tapings off of Kids' WB.)

Years
  • Yep. After Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, I decided to take a small break. I really didn't like those games, so it made me lose interest in Pokemon for awhile. So, I skipped Black and White when they came out, but for some reason I decided to pick up Black 2. I regained interest in Pokemon by doing so, and played every game since.

Even if I do someday take a break from Pokemon, it'll always be something I enjoy.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • I was almost lost after Sapphire, as I had played that to no end. Moving so much, I lost my systems and hope. I took a (2? 3?) year break after Platinum. Life and college got too crazy. Got back into it with a gameboy and blue version, which led me to getting X and a 3DS.

I really do want to go back and play B/W and B2. They look like some of the best in plot.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I really do want to go back and play B/W and B2. They look like some of the best in plot.
    I haven't finished them and only ever tried BW2 a bit, but from what I heard those games are vastly superior in plot :3 As far as pokémon plots go, I mean...

I have taken breaks. I mean, nowadays there's not much more pokémon-related business for me than going on PC and occasionally participating in pokémon themed roleplays. So whenever I'm off PC for a longer duration or not in a pokémon RP, I suppose I take breaks.

As for in the past, when I actually played a bit more actively and watched the anime or especially read the manga (<3), I suppose I sometimes on purpose told myself to take a break. Because I felt it was geeky and I didn't want to be like that, haha. I failed, of course, every time, and always started reading or playing or watching again. Part of the reason is PC, this damned place luring me back and making me like pokémon again. :3

Years
  • Several times actually. And some were longer than a year. Right now I haven't played Pokemon since April. Coming back to playing it with OR/AS introduction.

Indigo

The Novelist from Panju
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2019
    I took a break from pokemon from Early 2012- Late 2013. I left because my step brother (who got me into pokemon) saw me watching the first episode of Unova and told me that pokemon was for kids and lame people. I was 11 and Gullible mind you. I was like OMG HES TOTALLY RIGHT, EWW POKEMON. Then One day I saw my Cousin (Who is a year older than me) playing XY and I saw him get one of my favorite pokemon, Lucario, from the Gym Leader. He also told me he got a first Gen starter, So I bought Pokemon X and a 2ds, then never looked back.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2015
    I took a four year break, only to come back making my own Pokémon game.. I stopped playing during Pokémon White, because I had no idea that there was still Kyurem to catch and I thought I had completed the game... I spent three years after that not talking about Pokémon, not watching the Anime, it wasn't until I played Pokémon Omicron/Zeta (a fan game) that my interest in the series finally came back..

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Well, there's a reason why I never played any of the Sinnoh games. Back then I had other things to do, than playing Pokemon. When HG/SS came out I returned to the franchise, though.

Years
  • Never have! I've been getting the Pokemon games on release day since Ruby and Sapphire, I think, and wouldn't have it any other way. Never did lose interest in the slightest and even now I'm a huge fan.

Thief

The Dark One
    Years
  • When I was a kid I skipped over the Johto generation, but I started with Pokémon pretty much since the series started. I would watch the original series in the morning on weekends, I loved my Red version to bits (I was so pleased with myself at like age 7 when I did the Missingno glitch), and had already started collecting the cards. Not to mention the TCG videogame (I was obsessed with it) which I replayed through and completed in 3 days the other week, for nostalgic reasons.

I think my 'worst enemy' (I was like 9) in primary school started to get into Pokémon and collect the cards, and that fueled me to get back into it and prove I was the bigger fan. Ahh... Jealousy. Red and Hoenn were two massive parts of my childhood. I've caught up with Johto now, though (well, when HGSS came out).

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
    Years
  • After playing Pearl I did, yeah. I honestly wasn't very fond of those games when they came out. I think I'd enjoy the games if I replayed them now but for some reason, I just didn't like them then. I lost interest after those games but luckily a friend convinced me to pick up BW and I adored those. So... here I am now!

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I don't think I have! I have always loved Pokemon and never really got to stopping play.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Throughout the years I usually experience lulls in my Pokemon activity. When the franchise is between new games and the news is really slow I usually don't play as much, especially during the school year. Actually, usually when school starts I end up not playing at all because school is pretty important to me. However, when new games come out during the school year I usually make time to at least get through the league.

Back