• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would your family approve

Sirfetch’d

Even if your family knows about you having a separate life online, would they approve of everything you do? Would they approve of PokeCommunity specifically?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I think the only thing they disapprove of is me spending so much time online, I don't think they care about the sites I specifically spend time on. They know I play Pokemon, so I don't think they'd disapprove of PC.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
My family doesn't care. I don't care about their online lives either.

Years
My parents recognize me as an adult and thus don't really care what I do. Only time they might is if I do something that could get them or me in trouble, but there isn't really anything I do that would put us at risk, so it's nothing to worry about.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Nah they don't care. Why would they? I'm still hanging out on a Pokémon forum like I've been doing for the last decade, talking to people around my age and looking at pictures. Essentially what my mother does on Facebook, but I do it with people I actually like.

I suppose a lack of disapproval isn't the same as approval, but she really is fine with it. My dad's more of the type to be tetchy about spending too much time online and not enough time in the ~real world~ rather than about specific content, but that just gets us into the whole discussion about how communication and experiences shared over digital mediums shouldn't be discredited as illegitimate to a person's life experience as a whole. He doesn't mind me doing whatever I do anymore though; he's more concerned about my stepbrothers now. One of which is terrifyingly close to falling into the "nice guy" culture. As long as they keep him off reddit it should be fine. They don't mind if he comes here, I know that much.

Years
My family could care less - they do their own thing, I do mine. My dad is the only one I constantly socialize with, because we're both really into tennis, and I watch Parks and Rec with my mom, but other than that, my family doesn't interfere with one another's personal activities. Fine by me, honestly d:

Years
I think my parents just care about how much time i spend online but i dont think they would disapprove of PC since they know that i love pokemon.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
My parents could careless. They know I'm old enough to understand the rules of privacy and stuff like that. They even know I have an online boyfriend. The reason is because they know how my autism is and how hard it is for me to make friends in real life. They never question it at all. They don't even care that I spend all my time online as much as I do either. They just... know me like that.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
My parents know about my "online" life, as I've told them about friends I've made through PC/gaming and I even had a member from PC, Marz, visit me in Los Angeles for a week. We traveled together and it was a blast, so my parents have a positive view of PC/the Internet as a result. :P

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
My mother's been one to pretty much let me do as I please on the internet since before adolescence, whereas my father has gone to the means of destroying my electronics with brute force in "disapproval" of what I do (totaling a mere $300 before I got out of there). As you can tell I don't live with him anymore and do what I want with my online interactions being little if any concern to my mother in terms of socializing.

Azonic

hello friends
Years
i barely have an online life

but i feel like i act exactly the same online and offline so i guess they would approve

i have no online friends either. like i really dont talk to anyone, i just post occasionally

Years
My parents stopped caring about what I did online by the time I turned 15, pretty much. Other than that, I haven't even told them that I'm a moderator here on PC, but they know I do go on a forum everyday.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Both of my parents spend more time online than IRL anyway. I've had online friends visit my house, some from PC as well, all normal to them!

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I highly doubt they'd care that I post on a Pokemon forum. There are some aspects that they probably wouldn't understand and would get upset about, but frankly, those things are none of their business and I know I'm not doing anything unethical.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
My parents actually know about PC and my online life in general. They're fine with it, lol. They just don't want me spending hours online, which I don't do anyway.

Sean

Years
My online life has diminished in the last few years, so nothing they're worried about. Previously they were curious as to why I spent so long on the internet, but that's only because I was so young.

Now its they don't care

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I had a mostly normal social life before turning to online, so when I did have a year and a half phase of being online so much my parents were concerned and would say things to me, but they never actually did anything. I kinda wish they did do something, but I stopped myself and now I lead an even more active irl social life. With that said I don't consider what I do here or anywhere online as an online life anymore, just something to pass time when I have nothing to do.

Years
I really doubt they'd care. They don't really pry into what I do online as it matters very little to them. So long as I don't end up living on the computer all day every day, of course.

..though they probably don't even know I'm still into Pokemon but that's for another thread, lol.

Years
My mom doesn't care. Dad can be a bit annoying about it and sometimes forces me to do something else(which often just results on him going on my PC for 2-3 hours so i'm gonna assume he doesn't care that much either)

Back