• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The secrets of Hoenn: A sprite Comic

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
Years
Welcome to my thread, Home to my new sprite comic "Secrets of Hoenn" Here you'll follow a young boy known as "white" as he gets thrown into the deep end of his Pokemon journey from the word "go", this comic is about how he survives and how he'll soon learn and grow as he strives to be one of the best while he travels the land.

This comic has been done almost COMPLETELY in MS Paint.
(Everything is done in MS Paint, except the "night time" lighting)

COMIC CHAPTERS

Prologue

Chapter One - Dawn of a new Journey!

Chapter Two - One of "those" days

Chapter Three - The Fear!

Sorry it's shorter than the last, I've been a little slack so I'll make it up when I find an actual font I can use and like so I'm no longer placing letters by hand *phew*

Last edited:

ComoToon

Olympus Gimp
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2009
Hmm pretty high quality sprite comic did you make that in GIMP, Photoshop, or something else can't wait for the next page.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
Years
I have updated the thread tonight with Chapter 1, while not overly exciting, I find it rather amusing and theres a tiny joke for the fans of R/S/Emerald.

Anyway, I've made the chapter pages "clickable links for those unfortunate enough to have Dial-up (Like myself)

Enjoy, I'll begin CH2 tomorrow

Oh thanks Toxic, I'll check it out!

The night time effect, was basically grayscale, a darkish blue layer blended and alot of tweaking, worked better than expected.

Years
Good comic! It's always nice to see new comics. A few things you should change though:

-Put periods at the end of your sentences.
-Align your panels, it makes it look better.
-In the last two panels, you kind of skipped. Try putting a "Later" somewhere in the last panel.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
Years
Good comic! It's always nice to see new comics. A few things you should change though:

-Put periods at the end of your sentences.
-Align your panels, it makes it look better.
-In the last two panels, you kind of skipped. Try putting a "Later" somewhere in the last panel.

yeah I kind of thought that too, with the skipping thing, I accidentally rushed haha, oh well... It's my first sprite comic, still early days... it will get more detailed, however I need to find a balance between too slow or too fast.

Cobalt36

Ivy and Harley, quite a pair..
Years
Not bad! Who would make their kid ride in the back of a dangerous moving van with all sorts of furniture that could fall and kill him?! I either see a jailed parent or a Final Destination parody on the horizon!!! Still, it's coming along nicely.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 20, 2016
This chapter was good,just make the text a little bigger if you can.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
Years
Not bad! Who would make their kid ride in the back of a dangerous moving van with all sorts of furniture that could fall and kill him?! I either see a jailed parent or a Final Destination parody on the horizon!!! Still, it's coming along nicely.

Haha yeah, It was to poke fun at the fact a lot of people wondered why Brendon in R/S/E had to ride in the back of the moving van to hoenn and what kind of parent would do make their kid do that...

Unlike Brendon...White realizes the idea seems "wrong" somehow haha.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
Years
Yeah I did haha,took a little while to do but it looked pretty good in the end, I basically respited the bed to have no blanket, so it was just a pillow on a bed and nothing else, and then just went from there trying to work out where everything would be on the blanket at that angle...

Also, for those who haven't thought about it yet, white is actually based on my D/P trainer sprite I made on my forum Avatar.

All custom sprites like the longer truck and bed etc, are done by me (only started spriting a couple of weeks ago)

If I end up making a lot of custom stuff for the comic, I could possibly make a sheet for those who might want to use them in their own comics etc.

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
Years
*claps*

congratulations, you have recieved my honorary cake of "YAY! ACTUALLY COOL DETAILS AND DECENTLY FUNNY HUMOR!"

I especially liked that detial on the bed when White fell out of bed.
and of course, the joke about riding with furniture.

and the text and the text bubbles.
there... awesome.
yes, awesome.
be proud of yourself.
you just made me say awesome.

I can't wait for more pages. I wan't to see this comic soar and be another goodie on the sprite comic shelf.

ComoToon

Olympus Gimp
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2009
I'm sorry I didn't read your first post well enough. You really made all that in paint thats amazing but what program did you make the night time effect in. Great job on the comic.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
Years
Thanks a lot for your kind words Acha still being a "n00b" with comics hopefully I can improve it even more over time. I do like to pay attention to details, even as far as adjusting the clock time correctly by day and night, because I find it fun to spot tiny little things I probably didn't see the first time, so I want others to be able to say "Ah I never noticed that before, that's pretty cool"

ComoToon
, I did the night time effect in "Paint.Net" it's a free program you can download (All I can get while I'm on dial-up, untill next week) However
any program like Gimp or Photoshop will do, it's a matter of tweaking after you have the basic steps down.

Aero-LyNx

Go team dynamite!
Years
I like your comic, lol. The details about the blanket, then the details about the eyes(especially when he sigh). lol, I'll be waiting your next episode.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
Years
I like your comic, lol. The details about the blanket, then the details about the eyes(especially when he sigh). lol, I'll be waiting your next episode.

Thanks a lot, yeah things will start going somewhere now that White is "lost" in Hoenn, Third generation game characters will appear at some points in the comic.

Perhaps even appearances of famous Kanto characters eg, Lance, Red, Green etc.
But we'll see what happens.

Back