• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feign

Clain
Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Also, everyone, my Sims blew up their neighborhood. I love them.

Like that they actually blew them up (litearlly?)? Or made it better/worse? XD :P

Oooooooooo I should soooo try to write some of my fic right now...

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Also, everyone, my Sims blew up their neighborhood. I love them.
    I recall a memorable occasion where my Sims moved into a large house with a disproportionately large kitchen, with counters all round the sides, including an oven. Daddy Sim set the oven on fire, which soon spread around the room. While everyone else went 'OMG what do we do?!1!!one!?' Daddy Sim went off to take a shower. I couldn't install a phone to call the fire brigade because it was in 'Danger Mode' or something. Then Daddy Sim came back and died in the flames, leaving Mummy Sim to play paper-scissors-rock with the Grim Reaper for Daddy Sim's soul. (She won)

I haven't played that game in years.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Lulz, I haven't played my copy of the Sims in forever, either. It probably wouldn't work on the machine (Magneton-speak getting to my heard, urgh) I'm using now... far too new for that. Poor little Vistakins wouldn't handle it. :C Arceus forbid I get a new copy of the Sims more suited for this computer here - my pitiful weekly allowance will barely scrape HG/SS. xD

...In other news, I picked up Watership Down a few days ago because of the amusing title and it's actually really good. And I'm not going to be forced to read it until next year.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • The original Sims should work just fine on Vista. It's not that old. Vista really doesn't have as many compatibility problems as people make it out to have, especially after years of patching. Hell, after years of patching almost every problem people fault it with have been solved. Those that haven't, such as memory usage, either aren't problems but rather intentional features people just don't understand (UAC, while annoying, is actually a good idea that Unix has had for forever, as anyone who runs Ubuntu and has to deal with sudo can attest to. Plus, it can be disabled anyway, unlike Unix's security features) or have become less troublesome with modern hardware (1GB RAM is plentiful to run Vista just fine for most people and is typically the minimum standard now. Even 512MB, which may still be found on budget systems, can run Vista Basic fine albeit perhaps with multitasking problems).

The big thing to worry about with comparability and Vista are 16-bit programs. Vista 64, in fact, can't even run 16-bit programs period. Almost anything written within the last decade will be 32-bit though so no problem there.

Trust me on all this, I'm a computer science student and just finished writing one of three programs due this week. Whee, C++ is fun now that I get used to it! :D Hell, if anyone here has computer problems just ask me about it and I'll try to help. Of course, if little people here actually read my posts than those who may need my help wouldn't know to ask me. Almost makes you wish you read my posts now, doesn't it? Doesn't it?!

So, anyway, Bay and Astinus! Congratulations for reading my rantings! Here is your reward! Enjoy it in all its melty, chocolaty goodness that I in no way just now randomly pulled from Google image search results. As for all the rest of you, since you probably won't read this either than I can safely say that I hate you, without any of you even knowing I said it.

Bay said:
    That's what I like about your one shot.
    Lawl, Three-Sixteen is a bit of an extreme example but I guess it does show what I mean.

Bay said:
    I suggest you have the excerpts be put in random chapters, though.
    More likely I'll probably just integrate the writing itself more into the story and have excerpts go along with those parts, but who knows...

Astinus said:
    I forgot to buy some yesterday, and I am now completely cookie-less.
    Buy? Bah, I can get them for free with my unlimited meal plan at my dorm's dining center. And they're actually pretty good too.

Astinus said:
    Also, everyone, my Sims blew up their neighborhood. I love them.
    I just now realize how awesome working nukes would be in one of those games. I'd build a house and just scatter nukes around it, then see how long it takes for some random stranger to wander in and set them all off in a glorious chain reaction.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I write in forests too much, and don't get me started on my overuse of clearings in forests.

This. I think putting forests in pokémon fics is mandatory, unless they're hardcore sci-fi.

Despite what the anime has shown us, not everyone thinks about Pokemon 24/7. What are some of your character's side interests and/or hobbies?

Ren likes to read quite a bit and otherwise exercise his mind, Kairn is a prankster and a joker, Latios likes to eat, and Latias likes jewelry (a moment of silence for the group's pocket money, please). Of course, they all enjoy hanging out and just goofing around when they get the chance.

Mewtwo plays "video games,"* concentrates better when listening to electronic music, builds and modifies gadgets with her psychic power, and is a bit of a daredevil when she's flying/driving/controlling something that moves.

*They're more like holographic training programs complete with sensation, but for all intents and purposes I'll call them video games.

Now you're probably all wondering why I'm here when I said I wouldn't be. The answer is that I'm not here.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • *munches on cookie* :3

In moral conflicts arising within your fic, how (if at all) do you portray your own, personal perspective?
    Simple: the ending lines of NE. :P *gets shot*

In all seriousness though, I actually don't do that. Most of my characters have different opinions on certain subjects, so I try to portray them all without being biased. Heck, sometimes I agree with them. XD

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • To answer my own question,

In moral conflicts arising within your fic, how (if at all) do you portray your own, personal perspective?
    I like to place a whole lot of different perspectives and play around with them. It's really quite interesting, I think. I do intentionally place parts of my perspective into characters, but never all at once, and I always accompany it with other views so as to avoid a self-insert. It's almost as if I've thrown a whole lot of viewpoints into one arena and sit back as they play out. XD;

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    I'd usually handle this a bit differently in my usual work (think Author Avatars, basically), but in my fics I tend to use characters not so much as a mouthpiece but more as a hint in that direction. I have Erika tell the old fable of the Smeargle and the Kecleon to Red to help him understand the importance of individuality and self-expression, though the interpretation is more Red's than Erika's.

I'm kind of liberally-conservative, so my sense of morality is often one way with one thing and completely another way with another. You'd probably find it difficult to know what I really believe in my writing.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • In moral conflicts arising within your fic, how (if at all) do you portray your own, personal perspective?

I'm a very apathetic person, so in actuality, the moral conflicts I portray in fics (such as AEM's question of, "If one's purpose to commit a cardinal sin is self-preservation, is what they're doing still evil, and should they be treated as evil as a result?") don't get anything other than what the characters would most likely think about it, according to their personalities.

Although I do have a personal answer to that one question, so maybe that's a bad example.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023

I usually don't portray my own on there, and rather let the fictional character deal with their own, their way...

While I am a good person, I to a point believe that morals are relative. XD >.>

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • In moral conflicts arising within your fic, how (if at all) do you portray your own, personal perspective?
    I have this belief that fiction in its purest form ought to be as completely detached from the author's real world as possible (as opposed to social commentary which specifically sets out to make a point about the real world), and as such I strive to make all portrayal of opinions in my work strictly a portrayal of the opinions of the characters, with absolutely no relevance given to whether they happen to agree with mine or not. Amusingly, this leads to the most sympathetic characters in Morphic with an explicit stance on religion being moderate believers, even though I myself am an atheist, while the most prominent atheist happens to also be a self-centered dick with issues Freud would have a field day with. I am also pro-choice, and the first chapter features the pro-choice party being utterly destroyed in a debate on abortions. Thus, anyone attempting to guess my opinions on anything from Morphic would probably end up disastrously wrong.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years

In Brewing a Storm but more so in Black Night Clouds, Josh's respective of crime shows the hideous view on justice. It represents what I feel when I see criminals and what lengths people would go to capture them. Josh represents the person that takes action against crime but turns into a monster to equal the ones that he fights against. It shows my view of sweet revenge on the criminals that does the innocent wrong. But even then he has a large emotional conflict with himself when getting the sweet justice--losing the things that he once held dear.

On the flip side, Rex in Black Night Clouds, shows my other side of me. The one that shows the compassion of criminals and the belief that people can change. His father was a criminal that stole from the weak using his pokemon but changed after his time in jail to become a loving father to Rex and his mother.

The story kind of shows my view on criminals and how I am split down the middle. I try to create a characters to show both side of how something can be viewed. Not just my personal but a way someone else could view the same situation.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    What moral conflicts?

Since my character shares many of my interests, I had to make her differ from me in other respects to keep her from being a self-insert. In particular, her sense of right and wrong is more clear-cut than my own. Meaning, if a certain action is borderline unethical, I (IRL) would be more likely to do it than Lisa. She's got better morals than I do because I can be quite evil sometimes ;)

Wow, I hope that's what was meant by this question 0_o

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • D:

This place has gone over two days without activity. Time to spark some up. :>

How flawed is/are your main protagonist(s)?

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • How flawed is/are your main protagonist(s)?
    Flawed as in being a crap character? Very, de gozaru. ^_^

As for what I think you actually mean, yes, they can be kind of flawed, de gozaru. Haley is too naive for the world sometimes, and that tends to get her into trouble, de gozaru. Tyson is similar in a way, but different in that he prefers to go by the book, which leaves him little room for flexibility, de gozaru. Matthew's just a 'whiny little emo' at the moment, so not much to say about him atm, and everyone's worked out that Jerry's a member of Ginga-dan, yes?

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Sparkles said:
    Flawed as in being a crap character? Very. ^_^
    I like your characters (at least thus far). D: Their major flaw is that the story that they're in has an author who hasn't updated in forever. D;

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    How flawed is/are your main protagonist(s)?
    All of my characters are flawed. Major, minor, protagonist, antagonist... They're simply not real, and thus not deserving of the story, if they don't have a flaw.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • I like your characters (at least thus far). D: Their major flaw is that the story that they're in has an author who hasn't updated in forever. D;
    Touche, my friend, touche. Fear not, I hope to have a chapter done by Tuesday. Then you can let the whip out.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Sparkles said:
    Touche, my friend, touche. Fear not, I hope to have a chapter done by Tuesday. Then you can let the whip out.
    You know that he's not going to forgive you for all that time not writing, right? ;D

But seriously, good to hear. :3

Redstar said:
    All of my characters are flawed. Major, minor, protagonist, antagonist... They're simply not real, and thus not deserving of the story, if they don't have a flaw.
    True, I agree, but the point of the question was more aimed at how flawed they are (i.e. to what extent and in what ways), not whether they have flaws. :s Sorry if that wasn't more clear. ^^;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back