• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
Years
  • How flawed is/are your main protagonist(s)?
    Pretty flawed; Leah is a rude and lazy brat who does everything in her power to make the kids in her care miserable. Ed is loud, annoying and leaps before he thinks, while Ally lets everyone walk all over her and rarely does anything about it.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Jax is probably right, de gozaru.
    Ok, lose the 'probably' part, de gozaru. Jax is right, and I have read Reviewing and You, but my stubborn nature forces me to see a point through to the end; I'm not one for backing down, whether I'm wrong or right, de gozaru.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    I read it, but wasn't anything there that I didn't already know.

Funny thing, I just realized what the horse being led to water thing meant earlier this year.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • At the risk of sounding hypocritical, has anyone (besides Bay) read Reviewing and You, or was that just a rant to myself?

*raises hand* I read it! I think the problem with it is that the people who read it already know a lot of the stuff you say. As opposed to the people who should read it, but never will...

How flawed is/are your main protagonist(s)?

Well, most of my plot twists tend to be caused by the stupidity or thoughtlessness of my characters, so I'd say very. It varies, though. Some are more of a mental cases than others. Also, they generally look at least somewhat weird =D

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • 'Sup guys? Just crashing in during my sparse weekend time to say "howdy."

Howdy.

Well, now that that's out of the way, I should probably answer a bolded topic or ten. (Really there's only one, but whatever)

Well, they all have shortcomings. Ren is shy and has a hard time standing up for himself, Kairn grew up on the street so he has a slew of, shall I say, "questionable tendencies," Latias is a bit reckless and a bit vain, and Latios lets his temper get the best of him once in a while and is slightly stubborn. When they're all together, they kind of play off of each others' weaknesses and strengths, making them either very strong or very weak as a collective. Usually they get along well, but they have had and will have a few "break down" moments.

Mewtwo has unlimited psychic potential, but must first develop those powers. Physically she is very weak. Also, the very makeup of her body is used against her by the government that controls her: they can literally turn her brain on and off at will.

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
  • It's been a while since I was here last.

I'd say pretty flawed. I'm not currently working on any fan-fiction at the moment, but my characters are never perfect and always have those things that hold them back.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Oh hi, S'up! and etc.

I haven't been here for quite a while. I'm trying to land myself a job at an education research institute, and that's got me effectively busy. I come back here once in a while, but I no longer spend the time I'd like to do things such as read and review a fic, for example.

The good news is that the selection process had gone wonders for me so far. I was even invited to a staff meeting between the lead programmers to see if my work style fits the institute.

The bad news is that I lost the last two weeks of advancement in all of my fics due to a power surge that wiped out my flashdrive's encrypted volume. Not only that, but what little I had indexed from 2008's Bold Topics (Jan 1 to Mar 12 2008) went all 0x00's too... I feel like what Sparkling Dragon has gone through, here... All was not lost because I'm genre savvy lucky: two weeks ago I had made a raw backup of all my fics because I wanted to adapt them to OpenOffice.org's "master document" model. Hadn't I done that, I'd have lost the last six months of fic development and thus the entirely of both my current works. Well done, me.

In the meantime I have been thinking all over again about what things I have to do. My fics are not on hiatus, but I'm writing far slower. What I have done, because I found it quite easy to do, was to sign up to Pokéteca (kinda the spanish-language Bulbapedia) and improve some articles there (the main Pokémon articles are really lacking in the narrative and description department). Seeing that it was getting easier for me to do things there than here, I kinds thought of a matter to discuss here, but I don't know how many of you can help me.

The thing is, I've found myself progressing at a faster pace when writing my fics in Spanish, my native language, and then translating at the end. So far (ie.: up until "Playfield") I was working by writing directly in English. The obvious disadvantage is that the whole process is 2x slower, but I was thinking that maybe it may be useful to write in Spanish first and then translate. I could even get to publish in both languages, but that's another matter entirely. So, for those among you who write in two languages, if any, do you think working native-first helps? What are your experiences, is there any advice you can give me?

Also, on the subject of the bold topics:

Like dotKarma, I'm not wlrking on my fics very much ATM but I have developed a lot of things. My characters are designed around a core concept from which strengths, weaknesses, competences and flaws can be "growth", not "created", so I can say they are "normally flawed". Plus I like them weird... :D

I had to develop Lileep for the occasion, and with not much to pick from in terms of personality I decided to go the obvious route, that is give him two or three basic traits and let things spiral from there. Fundamentally, the three things that define Lileep are that he is quick to draw conclusions, regretless about his decisions, and attracted more to questions than to answers. What resulted from there is a character that so far would look, I think, like a know-it-all do-nothing douché who simply crawls around reminding people the things they don't know but who does it because he doesn't know better (technically speaking, Lileep has no parents, he is being raised by what amounts to an attention-seeking Gyarados, a carefree Kirlia, an Electabuzz just like him but with 9000x more experience, a Registeel with Clippo installed, and two almost to-the-book "experiment observers"). That's a kind of personality I like to explore.

Then I have several other characters. All of them follow essentially the same model. Two or three defining characteristics (not strenghts/flaws, but "means to be"). Liberate and extrapolate from there. Results so far: a spoiled rich boy who wanders around doing battles because he can't care he is the heir to a small empire, he doesn't want to accept that kind of responsibility (Darius) because he finds it boring compared to other responsibilities he has. And other people like that.

At the risk of sounding hypocritical, has anyone (besides Bay) read Reviewing and You, or was that just a rant to myself? (from: Valentine)

I said two or three times I read it, too...

Bottom line, I'm sure we all here have, but I concur that Aurincha hit the nail very hard here with regards to that. If things could be worked upon from that perspective, so many things would change here. Unfortunately the only viable method that would work on in our current cultureset would be a "writer mentorship" sort of thing but I can smell from here that won't go good.

As an example of the "people who doesn't" kind of stuff, my last week at Serebii went hilariously reading how Serebii's "Fic Ideas" thread turned into a mess. Yami Ryu's most recent answer made me laugh so hard (not that I don't share the pain)...

I'll be gone for a while. I'm always reading here and some fics (note to self: find time to review "Mentor" again...) but I'll have less time to intervene in a useful manner, but I won't degrade myself to "tl;dr" or "rite moar!" kind of posts.

Random thoughts: I'm starting to like Calibri....

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I said two or three times I read it, too...

I know. It was meant as a bitter rhetorical question as an alternative to taking a baseball bat to my monitor out of frustration for the number of people on a daily basis who don't seem to actually put it to practice (hence the hypocritical part).

Moreover, I'm not sure if things could be worked on from that perspective because the people who don't read guides like that will most likely still not read guides, even if they were written with the "you're probably not going to actually read this" mentality. (Astinus did an experiment involving the rules and these kinds of people once. The results were as hilarious as you'd expect.)

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • At the risk of sounding hypocritical, has anyone (besides Bay) read Reviewing and You, or was that just a rant to myself?

Reading the guide was one of the first things that I did because if I want to review something, I want to do it right. Also, if I want someone to review my stories, I want them to go by a guideline that can benefit me. Actually...I read all the guides. :P

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Lolz. But oh well, de gozaru. (Firefox spellcheck reckons that 'lolz' should be 'Lolita'. I find that amusing.) If one thing about rhetorical questions is guaranteed, it's that someone will answer them, de gozaru. That is, unless you bind us with golden chains and wrap duct tape around our mouths before locking us all in a dark room, de gozaru. Then again, some people may well enjoy that kind of thing, de gozaru.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • If one thing about rhetorical questions is guaranteed, it's that someone will answer them, de gozaru.

Not necessarily. Normally, you don't answer things like, "Who knows?" in conversation. It only happens when certain people aren't paying attention, either to the tone of the question (if spoken) or to the word "rhetorical" (if written... like it was just a moment ago). Besides, it wasn't a bold question. Why did it suddenly become one? =|

I'm sorry if I sound snippy, but guys. Seriously. If I actually wanted to ask you all if you've read my guide (which I've done before) in order to get answers for it, I would have made it a bold topic. No, seriously. Please do not make random things I say bold. You're free to reply to the post itself, but I usually don't actually want them to become general, impersonal questions unless I actually state that they are by marking them up like we usually do with the random questions. If you want another bold topic, please make one yourself.

(That and, I'm sorry, SD, but your repetition of the archaic form of "desu" at the end of every sentence makes me want to physically hurt a pack of kittens.)

Last edited:

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Not necessarily. Normally, you don't answer things like, "Who knows?" in conversation. It only happens when certain people aren't paying attention, either to the tone of the question (if spoken) or to the word "rhetorical" (if written... like it was just a moment ago). Besides, it wasn't a bold question. Why did it suddenly become one? =|

I'm sorry if I sound snippy, but guys. Seriously.

I must admit, I wasn't paying attention entirely. I wanted something to answer. *booming laughter*. You don't sound snippy, well to me anyway. I know snippy. ^^

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Valentine said:
    (That and, I'm sorry, SD, but your repetition of the archaic form of "desu" at the end of every sentence makes me want to physically hurt a pack of kittens.)
    If you're using Firefox and open to installing an extension called Greasemonkey, I can help. ;D (Although, SD's going to be less active for the next couple of weeks, so it might be a bit pointless.)

Well, it seems that if we're answering rhetorical questions, we could do with a new bold topic.

How easy would it be to rewrite your fic from Pokémon Fanfiction to Original Fiction?

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    How easy would it be to rewrite your fic from Pokémon Fanfiction to Original Fiction?

lol I know yours would be pretty easy there Cit ;)

Well if I left aside the canon characters, I could make it more science fictiony then it might work. But I'd rather look at a OF that I've been planning instead.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
  • How easy would it be to rewrite your fic from Pokémon Fanfiction to Original Fiction?
    My story is a journey fic, so without Pokemon, I would have to come up with a different reason on why ten-year-olds and teenagers are walking from city to city without parents. Other than that, though, I suppose it wouldn't be too hard.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back