• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I had to rewrite a quite big script, but if I try to compile it, it gives me an error and says there is a missing keyword, but the line is empty. Does anyone know what I did wrong, or do you need to see the script?

Post your script, though from what you've described you're missing a parameter on one of your commands.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Post your script, though from what you've described you're missing a parameter on one of your commands.

Actually, I have seen this in other places. The only solution is to retype it. It's an XSE bug, one of the very few.

There is another solution, but it requires a second computer. Put your script in a notepad file and redownload XSE but on a different computer. Now open the script in that computer and it should work fine.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Okay. I have been searching all over Pokecommunity (and on Google, too) but I simply am not able to find an answer to my question. Which I find really weird, considering I would have imagined this would have been a very common question.

In G/S (specifically, Silver), how do you change the starting position of the Hiro? (I have a hex editor and everything.) What offset/byte(s) do I change, and what do I change to determine what? I believe somewhere on Pokecommunity I had found the offset, followed by an explanation of what part of the offset did what (determined map bank, number, x and y axis) but I have lost the link to the page, and even after searching thoroughly and going through my browsing history I am not able to find it again.

I am aware there is a tool to accomplish this, but I would like to learn how to do this myself. I tried using the tool, anyway, but it doesn't even work anymore (and I couldn't read the source). (If anybody knows how to change the player's starting money, that would also be cool...?)

Any help would be immensely appreciated! If anybody needs any more information, I would be happy to provide it.

Last edited:

Zanny77

I'm back, baby!
Years
Hey just a quick question, is there any way to change the Y Coordinate of the starting character in the map? If I try and change the location using Start Map Chooser Advance it only lets me change the X Coordinate

karatekid552

Years
Hey just a quick question, is there any way to change the Y Coordinate of the starting character in the map? If I try and change the location using Start Map Chooser Advance it only lets me change the X Coordinate

Not possible through SMCA, but looking at the source code I found where this data is stored so I am going to go into HxD and see if it can be done manually.

I DID IT!!!!! The byte at 54A00 (should be 06 as a value) holds the y-coordinate. HackMew must have missed it because it was about 10 bytes before the X-coordinate, when logically it should be after. (You usually graph X then Y). No offense to HackMew, he did a lot for all of us.

Edit: I was not the first person to find this. I was going through the notes that came with JPAN's patch and this was in there. There is a lot of data in those notes...

Last edited:

Zanny77

I'm back, baby!
Years
Not possible through SMCA, but looking at the source code I found where this data is stored so I am going to go into HxD and see if it can be done manually.

I DID IT!!!!! The byte at 54A00 (should be 06 as a value) holds the y-coordinate. HackMew must have missed it because it was about 10 bytes before the X-coordinate, when logically it should be after. (You always graph X then Y). No offense to HackMew, he did a lot for all of us.
Oh ok thanks for the info! The only thing is I don't know how to change it manually with HxD or whatever. What exactly do you do and use?

karatekid552

Years
Oh ok thanks for the info! The only thing is I don't know how to change it manually with HxD or whatever. What exactly do you do and use?

Learn how to use a hex editor, then goto the offset I specified and change the value to the y-coordinate you want.

HxD is one of the best hex editors though it sadly does not support .tbl files.

Zanny77

I'm back, baby!
Years
Learn how to use a hex editor, then goto the offset I specified and change the value to the y-coordinate you want.

HxD is one of the best hex editors though it sadly does not support .tbl files.
uhh ok so for FireRed hacking, which hex editor would you recommend the most? HxD?

Years
Does anyone know where the pickup item data is stored? Or just how to change the pickup items in general?

Bumping this since it seems to have gotten buried. And by pickup items, I mean items that can be found using the ability pickup. Also I'm working in FR

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2013
First off, I am new to this hacking. Secondly, it is an Emerald hack.

I have made the first town, with the same events as Little root, to see how things will go and all that jazz. I also made the route above it(to the right of it now) and moved around and changed the events on that. I also made a cave that links the two together.

Just ask for the pictures if you want to know what they look like, since I cannot post pictures yet.
That is what i have. So here are my problems i am facing.

1)When I start, I start in the water a few squares above the left house. The events play as normal, so this is okay for now.

2) The cave, I can go inside, but I cannot leave through any of the exists, I have tried different movement permissions, events, etc, but I don't know what to do.

3)On the route, since i stopped working on the warp part, i wanted to see if the event worked for getting your starter pokemon. So i made a small connection as you can see in the picture. But when i step somewhere i get locked onto a text script saying "this is a test script. This is a signpost script." Or something along the lines of that.

If any of y'all know anything, that would be great. Thanks.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Okay. I have been searching all over Pokecommunity (and on Google, too) but I simply am not able to find an answer to my question. Which I find really weird, considering I would have imagined this would have been a very common question.

In G/S (specifically, Silver), how do you change the starting position of the Hiro? (I have a hex editor and everything.) What offset/byte(s) do I change, and what do I change to determine what? I believe somewhere on Pokecommunity I had found the offset, followed by an explanation of what part of the offset did what (determined map bank, number, x and y axis) but I have lost the link to the page, and even after searching thoroughly and going through my browsing history I am not able to find it again.

I am aware there is a tool to accomplish this, but I would like to learn how to do this myself. I tried using the tool, anyway, but it doesn't even work anymore (and I couldn't read the source).

Any help would be immensely appreciated! If anybody needs any more information, I would be happy to provide it.
You're lucky that I saw your message here ;)
Join Skeetendo Inc. You'll find all the information you need to make a GSC hack there.
http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/852/

If anybody knows how to change the player's starting money, that would also be cool...?)
You start the game carrying $3000 with you. That 3000 is 0xBB8 in hexadecimal.
At maximum, you can carry $99999 with you which is 0xF423F in hex. From the maximum amount of money here, you could assume that money is stored as a 3-byte value in ram (0xF423F there would most likely either be "0F 42 3F" or "3F 42 0F" depending on the order money is stored there).

According to this, you're either given "00 0B B8" or "B8 0B 00" money for starting out. The asm routine for storing money in ram for starting out is located starting at offset 0x5CD6 like you can see in this picture.

nimetndv.png

Money is stored in ram addreses $D573-D575 as a 3-byte value and "3000" would happen to be 00 0B B8. In this picture, "xor a,a" is an asm instruction which is here used for making register a store value 00. That 00 is then stored in certain ram addresses: CE5F, D57C, D57D, D57A, D57B and D573. So this code here determines what's written as the highest value of starting money. Next, register a is loaded with value 0B and that is stored in D574. Finally, register a is loaded with B8 which is written to D575. And there you go, this routine determines how much money you start with in Gold and Silver.

You don't probably care about the highest value (which is created by the xor operation) so you don't even have to use an asm editor to do the job. Open hex editor and go to this same rom address. On the left side of "ld a,$0B" you can see bytes "3E 0B" and "01:5CE9". "01:5CE9" is the rom address (0x5CE9) where bytes "3E 0B" are written at. 0B there is part of the money loaded in ram for starting out. And in a similar way, 01:5CEE is the rom address (0x5CEE) where bytes 3E B8 are written at. Change those 0B and B8 there and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2014
Here i am again.

Strange thing: playing my hack rom (VBALink 1.8) i noticed how the top-left box with name of entering city does not appear when i enter in a new map...

I've checked AM (1.95), but in every map the 0.1 (Show name) is setted.

What's the problem?

Thanks a lot

Solved,

I've setted for i don't known why the 4000 flag...without it all work fine

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
Here i am again.

Strange thing: playing my hack rom (VBALink 1.8) i noticed how the top-left box with name of entering city does not appear when i enter in a new map...

I've checked AM (1.95), but in every map the 0.1 (Show name) is setted.

What's the problem?

Thanks a lot

Solved,

I've setted for i don't known why the 4000 flag...without it all work fine

Flags above the 8FF are stored overlapping variables 4000+. So by setting flag 4000 you interrupted some other data, which by my calculations is var 4370. This var is probably involved in showing the location upon entering the map.

First off, I am new to this hacking. Secondly, it is an Emerald hack.

I have made the first town, with the same events as Little root, to see how things will go and all that jazz. I also made the route above it(to the right of it now) and moved around and changed the events on that. I also made a cave that links the two together.

Just ask for the pictures if you want to know what they look like, since I cannot post pictures yet.
That is what i have. So here are my problems i am facing.

1)When I start, I start in the water a few squares above the left house. The events play as normal, so this is okay for now.

2) The cave, I can go inside, but I cannot leave through any of the exists, I have tried different movement permissions, events, etc, but I don't know what to do.

3)On the route, since i stopped working on the warp part, i wanted to see if the event worked for getting your starter pokemon. So i made a small connection as you can see in the picture. But when i step somewhere i get locked onto a text script saying "this is a test script. This is a signpost script." Or something along the lines of that.

If any of y'all know anything, that would be great. Thanks.

1) a little program called SMCA will help you.

2)for cave exits where the doorway is facing up (meaning you walk down to get out) the tile just above the door way needs have warp capabilities in its behavior, and the warp needs to be placed on it. There are two floor tiles that look the same. One is just your standard floor tile while the second has warp properties.

For emerald, the block (tile) # for a normal cave floor in title set 19 is block 201. The block # for a warp tile is block 207. If you want to see how this works or to check for other warp-able blocks, open up the block editor and look at its behavior data.

Block numbers can be found in the bottom lefthand corner of Amap when you hover over a particular block.

3) I can't see a picture, and that is because you need 15 posts to post pictures. My best guess is that there is green-s-tile on the ground in the events tab where you stepped. Delete it.

Good luck and welcome to the rom hacking forum.

Last edited:

Derlo

Tired....
Years
I have a very annoying problem.

I'm using the routine D & N from Mastermind_X ...

I have a map with a script level, where it changes a certain tile depending on the time. I enter in all other maps and when I go back to him, everything normal. But when I enter the Pokécenter, and go out, for some reason the game quickly updates the offset of RAM responsible for storing the data of the time. And that makes the script level is loaded, although not the time that was put into the script.
This only happens with maps of pokecenters.

If anyone knows how to fix, thanks.

95gemello7

MrGarroz
Years
I have three problem for now, can anybody help me?
1) When I reach the beginning of an attack's animation data (following Chaos Rush's tutorial) in my Hex Editor, how am I supposed to find the end of that data? I really don't know...
2) How am I supposed to replace the animation of an attack using Attack Editor in PGE? I saw that there's an "Animation Pointer" that can be "repointed"... Is this the right way to replace an animation with a custom aimation? And if it is, how can I do this?
3) How can I change the description of attacks in Attack Editor?

Sorry for grammar error or for the annoing questions...

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2013
Working on adding custom music to my Fire Red hack, got Sappy and Midi2ABG, however every time I try and "Assemble Song" with my battle theme, I get:

'error #5009, 'theme_grp' is undefined
on line "3: .equ battle theme_grp, voicegroup000'.

Anyone experienced using Sappy know what's going wrong here? I used Guitar Pro 5 to create my MIDI

karatekid552

Years
I have three problem for now, can anybody help me?
1) When I reach the beginning of an attack's animation data (following Chaos Rush's tutorial) in my Hex Editor, how am I supposed to find the end of that data? I really don't know...
2) How am I supposed to replace the animation of an attack using Attack Editor in PGE? I saw that there's an "Animation Pointer" that can be "repointed"... Is this the right way to replace an animation with a custom aimation? And if it is, how can I do this?
3) How can I change the description of attacks in Attack Editor?

Sorry for grammar error or for the annoing questions...

1) when to reach the offset of the next attack is my best guess since I haven't done much work actually playing with the individual data, I have just swapped the pointers in the table. So, make note of when the next attacks data begins and it obviously has to end before that.

2) Those are just the pointers. Animations are set up in a table of about 350 pointers, one for each animation. You must edit you .ini file to include this table if it doesn't already. So basically it can be used to swap animations, I.e. swapping the pointers of pound and thunderbolt so that now pound looks like thunderbolt and vice versa. You could also point to a custom animation that you make.

3) You know how when you make a message in XSE? How you have to create an:

#org @msg
= Hey this is my message!
?

Well, just make that part in XSE and set the description pointer in Attack Editor to the location of @msg.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
does anyone know how to edit the ending credits...

right now it says
" Pokémon FireRed Version
Staff"

and when I search for it in advance text I find it under
41D195

but when I try to repoint it to add my own text
" Pokémon UltraViolet Version
Staff"

I get a message saying:
Then text pointer wasnt found!
The text cannot be edited!

then when I follow that offset (41D195) I get garble in pksv...

so why is it pulling a junk offset... and what is the correct one...

(ultimately I removed all the spaces and made it "Pokémon-UltraVioletVersion" and it fit without repointing and advance text was ok with that... but id rather get it done right...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back