• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Transfering pokemon

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
At the Developer's Roundtable last Wednesday, they mentioned they're working on a way to transfer Pokemon from previous games.
Q – Can you import Pokemon from previous games?
A – We are thinking of something. The DS and 3DS can't communicate, but we are working on it.

So that's good to hear we will be able to and I expected that we would since it's been a thing for two generations so why remove it? I'm thinking since they're still working on it's not in the game? They could still be developing it though cause it seems they're still improving the graphics. (which are look better each time I might add.) I would hate to have to buy two 3DSes just to transfer them again. That is such a pain so I hope they make an e-shop app just for transferring Pokemon. I hope too that you can transfer more than 6 at a time cause it that takes prefer when you have an entire game of hundreds of Pokemon to transfer. I liked the Pal Park alot so I'd also like if there's something like that in the game cause it felt more real than the PokeTransfer minigame.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
That Q&A makes me think that if they don't figure it out by release date we'll be seeing a patch/update or an app on a later date. Hopefully they'll be able to think of someway to by pass the restrictions, if not Gen 6 may become like it's half number, Gen 3.

Years
So that's good to hear we will be able to and I expected that we would since it's been a thing for two generations so why remove it? I'm thinking since they're still working on it's not in the game? They could still be developing it though cause it seems they're still improving the graphics. (which are look better each time I might add.) I would hate to have to buy two 3DSes just to transfer them again. That is such a pain so I hope they make an e-shop app just for transferring Pokemon. I hope too that you can transfer more than 6 at a time cause it that takes prefer when you have an entire game of hundreds of Pokemon to transfer. I liked the Pal Park alot so I'd also like if there's something like that in the game cause it felt more real than the PokeTransfer minigame.

But there's a problem, the 3DS is an entirely different console to the DS, in fact it's the successor to the DS as a next gen console. So that means there will be an issue with transferring old Pokemon over from older games. If one looked at one of the X & Y trailers carefully, a Charizard appeared in it. The only way to get it in R/S/E was a trade from FR/LG, and in the case with 4th and 5th Gen it had to be transferred over with Pal Park and Poke Transfer respectively. If the case that the DS and 3DS can't communicate due to being different gen consoles, it will be the end of transfer as we know it, but GF learned their lesson when 2nd Gen couldn't transfer to 3rd Gen. I'd like to see a new way of transferring over Pokemon from 5th Gen games, maybe an e-shop app or something.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
The DS and 3DS cant communicate directly, but maybe an app can. Pokemon Dream radar is an example of a 3DS able to communicate with the DS games. Like the lot and even I have said an app can be able to connect the two generations together

gSpartan150

Intermediate Johto Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I am hoping that they have a PokeTransfer kinda thing. But hopefully they don't add a mini-game.

Years
if we could transfer them after the first gym, I will be happy ^_____^, if not, then at the end of the game, its okay, I don't mind it ;p
currently I am planning to buy them both, first I will finish it with fennekin, with the second version what I will do is first transfer my kanto pokemon to the version that I finished the game in, then from that version I will transfer them to the other version after beating the first gym which is what I did with black and white (I hope I make sense).

Emfg

Ohlong
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 8, 2023
I seriously don't hope they're gonnna force you to download your pokémon to your game. That would basically screw me over so hard because I can't access Wi-Fi on my DS Lite with my current router and I don't have a wi-fi USB connector for the DS lite...

solaris knight

Phantom ESP'er
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2013
I'd love if they introduced it in the form of a Pokémon Box-esque app.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I'm also hoping for an app of some sort, but I find it highly unlikely... I think the method will remain the same as before, using two systems to transfer.

Years
I would at least hope they can build in a method of transferring Pokémon, considering how it's existed since Gen IV came out.

Sorbet

sυᴘᴇʀɪᴏʀвᴇт
Years
A Pokémon Box-like app for the 3DS would make sense:

-> Insert your Gen 5 (and maybe 4?) cardridge
-> Open the app
-> Choose the Pokémon you want to transfer to the Pokémon Box app
-> Remove the Gen 5 or 4 cardridge
-> Insert the X or Y cardridge
-> Open the Pokémon Box app
-> Choose the Pokémon from the Box you'd like to transfer to your X or Y cardridge

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
If they're going to use an app, then I feel they should also give people the alternative to use two consoles. I don't want to have to download an app.

I liked the Poketransfer minigame, actually. The REAL issue was that you could only transfer six Pokemon at a time; at least for me, that's what made transferring Pokemon a tedious chore. Being able to transfer Pokemon 50 or maybe even 100 at a time would be marvelous.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I feel like an app would be much more convenient than having to use two consoles. If the 3DS can run both games anyways, it'd be much easier to download a free app (at least I'd assume it'd be free), transfer the Pokémon onto that, and then transfer them from the app to the proper game. Sounds like a much easier and quicker alternative than having to deal multiple consoles. Of course, knowing Nintendo and Game Freak, there would have to be some sort of minigame involved for it to work. Can't just let you transfer them instantly!

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
A Pokémon Box-like app for the 3DS would make sense:

-> Insert your Gen 5 (and maybe 4?) cardridge
-> Open the app
-> Choose the Pokémon you want to transfer to the Pokémon Box app
-> Remove the Gen 5 or 4 cardridge
-> Insert the X or Y cardridge
-> Open the Pokémon Box app
-> Choose the Pokémon from the Box you'd like to transfer to your X or Y cardridge

^This was exactly what I thought before in a previous comment here. An additional feature that I too included on the comment was the ability to return non-Gen 6 Pokemon back to the previous titles like the RBY-GSC time machine trade.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
I think they will keep on doing this.
Hopefully my time wasn't wasted EV training this Quilava.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Why are people complaining about having to download an app? It will most likely be free of charge. Seriously, I hope it's not for some petty reason like keeping compatibility of their 3DS with flashcarts (since you can't access the eShop without updating your 3DS).

Actually I prefer an app, I'm not made of money so using two 3DS just to transfer Pokémon would be very annoying. The 5th gen system sucked, it was pretty much a marketing ploy by Nintendo to force people to buy a DSi, and, while you could get another DS Lite, what's the point of owning two of the same console?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Why are people complaining about having to download an app? It will most likely be free of charge. Seriously, I hope it's not for some petty reason like keeping compatibility of their 3DS with flashcarts (since you can't access the eShop without updating your 3DS).

Actually I prefer an app, I'm not made of money so using two 3DS just to transfer Pokémon would be very annoying. The 5th gen system sucked, it was pretty much a marketing ploy by Nintendo to force people to buy a DSi, and, while you could get another DS Lite, what's the point of owning two of the same console?

If it is an officially endorsed app from Nintendo, be it on Smart phone or 3DS, you will have to pay for it. We have to pay for all of the other apps they released. They want money.

That being said, an app is unlikely to happen. The transfer system will be built into the game as Gamefreak will be the ones to make it and they want all of their stuff to be on the game rather than outside.

An outside storage isn't a very good idea either as they very well may lock it just as they did with My Pokemon Ranch for the Wii. They've been pushing a on the game transfer for a long time. I don't see this changing. Gamefream will find a way to allow the 3DS game to link up with the older games, even if they force us to do something similar to the Dream Sorld where we'll have to register the fifth gen games with the sixth gen pgl system to load them to the server for generation transfer.

Back