• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Your starter?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
As we all know, there were three Pokémon to choose from as your starter in R/B/G—Charmander, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle. So, the question is, which did you pick and why? d: I ended choosing Squirtle, as I find out to be the cutest. Plus, it was also the mascot of my game—Blue version. In my second run, I picked Bulbasaur.

Pikelodeon

Woo, pokemans!
Years
I only did one run (I was borrowing it from a cousin), and my favorite pokemon was Squirtle/Blastoise. With his amazing bulk and the devastating move Hydro Pump, he can be a killer!

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I always chose Bulbasaur - I had a real liking for Grass types back then. Also, it was to me "which one would have the advantage over Brock?" which narrowed it down to Bulbasaur and Squirtle, so then I decided to stick with Bulbasaur.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
In Blue I chose Squirtle and Red Charmander, unfortunately both games corrupted, at the time Blue broke I was trading with myself in Crystal and the game froze as I was trading Squirtle back and it ended up in the vast abyss never to be seen again. Never got to play through either.

In Yellow I traded over a Seel and Kadabra and those became my starters since Pikachu was kind of weak.

inzain786

Learning Before I Post
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
Usually I would go with water, because that always seemed like a safe bet. One time I went with grass, but it was incredibly difficult and I ended up reseting and going with fire.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Ah, for my first run-through of pokemon Blue, I've picked Squirtle. it was because it was a really simple, yet pretty cool pokemon! It was very handy as a water type and it fit well with the team that I was planning at the time - Vileplume, Clefable, Alakazam, etc. I dunno, it's simple design appealed to me, which, while Charmander and Bulbasaur was also really cool, Squirtle just held something pretty dear to me!

Another partial the reason was when I was playing pokemon Yellow, I used to haaaate fighting rock type pokemon, especially the first gym. That's because there wasn't much opportunities to get moves that were super effective against Brock's Rock-type pokemon, so, I had to spend a lot of time training my Nidoran♀ to learn double kick. Training a Butterfree didn't really help me at all because of those Rock-type moves, and using Pikachu to beat them just took too long. Plus, Nidoran♀ wasn't exactly a foolproof plan to beat Brock since his Onix had Bide and there was a chance that Nidoran♀ couldn't OHKO is pokemon, so, yeah.

There was also that dang Rock Tunnel, you know, with all the Hikers and their Ground and Rock pokemon.. ugh, I regretted not training my Bulbasaur or Squirtle that I've gotten on Pokémon Yellow, and those Rock Pokémon were really tough to beat, especially the ones with Self-Destruct that OHKO'd my Pikachu. So there fore, Squirtle was just my way of saying 'REVENGE' to all those ground pokemon, and so that I could breeze through the game much easier!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
First time through I picked Squirtle, naturally because that was the Pokémon on the box. Thereafter I always, always chose Charmander.

Never picked Bulbasaur until I started playing it on-and-off on my Android when I needed time to kill. Never realized it took so long for the *saurs to learn razor leaf <_<

Years
First time I ever played Red, I picked Charmander. My sister and I had a fight for about half an hour before it, though. She wanted me to pick Squirtle. The fact that she had no interest in Pokemon made me want Charmander even more ^^

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
I chose Charmer, just because of how it looked. I mean who wouldn't? Then I noticed how hard it would be later on for the first few gyms. I chose Squirtle every time after.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 3, 2014
My first run was with charmander just cause I really liked the way it looked. I just overtrained it before I did the first gym which made it pretty easy.

I played through the games with every starter (including pikachu), but charmander is still my favourite one. I still remember my epic fight against this bug guy in the veridian forest. I only had 40pp on growl left and he just went on hardening all the time. It took an eternity to take that thing down.

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
I remember the very first time I played my Red version. I think I got it the Christmas it was released in the UK. At that point, I was so young I didn't even bother to read anything and just kept clicking AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA haha. I didn't even know how to save. The very first Pokémon I chose was a Bulbasaur, which is probably why he is still one of my favourites to this day.

Heather

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2021
I first chose Charmander. Nooby reason why I picked him: He was one of the Pokemon that I saw on TV. Of course playing R/B/G the first gym being a rock type gym made it take a while for me to figure out how to beat it. In the end I found out that I could use a Mankey and use Low Kick.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 6, 2015
Well my first ever Pokemon game was yellow, so Pikachu. But when I finally played red, call me a rebel, but I picked Squirtle. Since then I have always Favorited Squirtle and I have to convince myself to use the other two every once in awhile.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Jeez, you're asking me to remember 15 years back :O If I know myself well enough though, I probably picked Charmander because it looked the coolest. I mean pretty much everyone did that, and I don't think I thought any different :p But yeah, I don't really remember how much I liked it or how far I got with it, but I doubt it was very far, considering I had just about no skill at all, it was most likely the first game I ever played, and I couldn't read English, let alone Danish :p So yeah, I most likely started a new game because I couldn't beat Brock.

The first one I do remember, though, was also with Charmander, though I was just a biit more experienced that time, and I remember getting surprised by how much damage Charmander actually did to Brock's Pokémon, despite being a Fire type. I mean, I didn't think it would damage it at all. I remember getting through quite a bit of the game though, and ending up with a much loved Charizard :D Don't remember if I beat the E4 though.

Nowadays, you'll usually see me pick Bulbasaur. I used to always pick Squirtle because I knew Water was strong against Rock, and it meant getting through Brock was a lot easier. I'd always thought Grass was weak to Rock though, hence why I never chose Bulbasaur. I knew it'd be good against Misty, but I thought I was gonna have a hard time beating Brock with it. Imagine my surprise when I finally use a Bulbasaur and his moves turn out to be super effective against Brock's stupid Onix. Since then, I've used Bulbasaur in most of my first gen playthroughs, since I usually settle for the easy route, but if I want a challenge, I'll usually go for Charizard instead :p I never really use Squirtle, because he's more like the inbetween one. He isn't too hard to get through the game with, but he isn't too easy either. And I just always preferred the two others more haha

Elincia

Arisa Gracia: Protagonist
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 23, 2016
I also chose Squirtle.
I basically stopped with Charmander against Brock.
And Bulbasaur. You learn Leech Seed.

Back