• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Your starter?

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    I used to do the "what's going to be easiest to beat Brock", and then it would be " what can learn surf" badabing, Squirtle!

I didn't choose bulbasaur very often because it didn't learn vine wip till level 14? (I think) so I hardly ever went for it even though it was my favourite in the anime.

But as I got older and as charmander evolved in the anime, I loved charizard so it became my "team member in every game" Pokemon.

Years
  • First time I played through I went with Squirtle because he was on the cover of my game but then when I played it though again I went with Charmander to make it as challenging as possible at the start. Bulbasaur was always my least favorite and don't think I ever chose him as my starter. Only time I had him was when I traded for a three of them to start the game with my cousin.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I picked Charmander, because I usually pick him on any Kanto based game.

Years
  • Of the three starters, is it generally assumed starting with Charmander is the hardest? I mean he doesn't have an advantage over the first two gym leaders (IIRC). I know he gets pretty damn powerful as he grows and evolves, but so do just about all of the pokemon. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Years
  • I -think- I went with Bulbasaur when I first played Red because I'm not too fond of Squirtle and Charmander would've been difficult to raise for the first two gyms. I think I might've gone with Charmander for one playthrough and used either Butterfree (Confusion ftw) or a Nidoran to deal with Brock, but I can't remember x_x

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2014
    As we all know, there were three Pokémon to choose from as your starter in R/B/G—Charmander, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle. So, the question is, which did you pick and why? d: I ended choosing Squirtle, as I find out to be the cutest. Plus, it was also the mascot of my game—Blue version. In my second run, I picked Bulbasaur.

Since my specialty is the fire type I naturally went with charmander.

I don't know why people say that the fire type is hard to raise. It's not hard to me at all. My undying love of fire Pokémon and my patience is what made it easy to raise.

I guess in picking the fire type I went down the most challenging path? I would raise my charmander into a charmeleon though first before I fought brock. I always managed to win (don't know why people say the fire types are hard to win with against rock types).

Charmander, I love fire types and I love Charizard!

I like your thinking! Keep it up!

Last edited by a moderator:

Flow So Gorgeous

Flipping Awesome
    Years
  • I went with Bulbasaur my first go around. The first game I ever played was Pokemon Stadium for the N64, and out of the three starters, Bulbasaur was the cutest and Venusaur was the strongest. The classic Venusaur bloodshot eyes made me choose it every time. Keep on rocking Brock and hosing Misty, Bulbasaur. You always do.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2014
    I always choose Charmander because you don't have a chance to get other Fire Pokemon until late in the game.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2015
    In the let's play I'm doing I went Charmander for Red. No reason really except sticking with the box art. For the Blue episodes, I'll take Squirtle out. Same reason.

lilartistgrrl

Pokemon Lover
    Years
    • US
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I think I picked Squirtle the first 3 times I played it. I picked Bulbasaur this time because he is good against both Brock and Misty.

Back