• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [HotW #100] Pokémon Beryl

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
  • [a id]gotop[/a id][simple-spoil=prologue]
    Spoiler:
    [/simple-spoil]
    Co-owned with Deviation
    • [alink id="TI"]Technical Info[/alink id]
    • [alink id="PO"]Plot Outline[/alink id]
    • [alink id="Feat"]Features[/alink id]
    • [alink id="Med"]Media[/alink id]
    • [alink id="Dls"]Downloads[/alink id]
    • [alink id="FAQ"]FAQ and Support[/alink id]

Introduction​

Hello all, you probably know me (you might not) from my previous hacks, mentioned above or from my spritework. I'm a comic artist, but I guess that's irrelevant. Ifound out about ROM Hacking and spriting on the date that I joined PC. Since then, I was yearning for this moment. Along with Deviation here, I present to you the newest hack that we're making together, Beryl! Well, without any further ado, let's move on to what my friend and co-owner has to say:

Right then, let's keep this simple. I am Deviation, or better known as Banjora Marxvile. I am a bored, pessimistic hacker nowadays, due to... Certain things. Me and Nik will work hard for this, and we will spend ages making this as best as we can, so the least you can do is enjoy this hack, and please, do not steal. This hack is what we are doing to keep us entertained, hopefully push us, and we are doing it for nothing, just to keep you, and us amused to stretch our minds and talents. We will work hard for this, and we hope you enjoy this, and any future plans that we have, be it like a Co-Ownership like now, or any individual hacks.

[a id]TI[/a id]

Technical Info​

Hack Name: Pokémon Beryl (Beryllium)
    Rom Base: Fire Red [USA]
    Language:
    English
    Owners:
    NiKaNoRoU - Scripting, spriting, mapping, beta testing
    Deviation - All kinds of inserting, mapping, beta testing

Programs Used:
    - A-Map
    - A-Ptch
    - APE
    - A-Trainer
    - FSF
    - Hex Workshop
    - LIPS
    - MS Paint
    - NTME
    - OW Editor RE
    - XSE
    - YAPE

Credits:

Giga Universe - CSS
    DrFuji - Testing, banner and feedback
    JPAN - Hacked Fire Red engine
    interdpth - RTC Clock
    All the tool/program makers for their tools/programs.

[alink id="gotop"]
    ioi4wh.png
    [/alink id]

[a id]PO[/a id]

Plot Outline​

"...I am an ordinary kid at the age of thirteen, living in a small, quiet town in the Vintou region with my mom. Recently, two Pokémon-specialized professors came into town. It is obvious that they are siblings, most likely twins, as they are almost alike. They started it all. They got me into Pokémon, the awe of battle, the satisfaction of adventure and all. So, one day, a shipment of 'trainer packs' arrived. Now, it was the time for the young people of our town to become pokémon trainers! Oh how I longed that moment! I even set the clock earlier so that I could be on the lab in time!"
    "...but the critical day had passed. Full of excitement, I walked towards the lab, while mom was cheering up on me away from the house front door. The lab had that smell of septic liquid. it looked more like a hospital. there, I saw some people in white robes and glasses, some reading books, others fixing a machine, and there was that one guy with spiky hair that was eating a sandwich. He was Prof. Nohj, but his brother was supposed to be there, too, along with other people, and more importantly, there were no pok
    éballs around!"
    - Munch munch...looking for something, lad?
    - I, uh, I came here for the trainer recruiting day, and...
    - Oh, flippety flippet. You're one day late, lad.
    - I-I'm sorry? but the announcement said that it was for today!
    - It was re-ordered for a day earlier, order from the government. Besides, my bro had to leave today for an errand, too, so it suited him as well. Don't you ever watch TV, lad?

"This was anguish. I slowly walked home with my face almost on the ground. As I walked in, I heard two voices yelling <<Surprise!>>"
    - Uncle Stephan!
    - Haw haw, is that really you? my how much you've grown up! I can't even hug you properly now!
    - Uncle, are you for real?
    - Sure am! that long trip on the east was exhausting, but so much fun! And wait until you see the gifts that I bear for you!

"...as you can see, the tide can turn. If you want to find out about the rest, I suggest that you play along with me! Good luck!"

[alink id="gotop"]
    ioi4wh.png
    [/alink id]

[a id]FT[/a id]

Features​

[a id]Feat[/a id]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT] Catch over 250 completely new fakemon
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT] No more HMs! Various tools will replace them
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT] Watch a Nintendo-based plot develop into a saga
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT] Real Time Clock - Thanks to Interdpth
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT] A new berry system based on the RTC
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]Treasure chests will replace items on the ground
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT] Use of L and R buttons
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT] Dextroy - the mobile encyclopedia is back!
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT] Two regions - 16 gyms - Two Leagues - 3 Rivals
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT] A new 'evil' team - Team Locust!
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT] New facilites - such as a trade center and underground trainer pub!
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT] Swarm events and a special place with everchanging battles
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT] Read the minds of people and reveal hidden places!
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT] Character portraits!
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT] Move tutors (with custom moves) and new items
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT] ...and much, much more will be revealed!

[alink id="gotop"]
    ioi4wh.png
    [/alink id]

[a id]Med[/a id]

Media​

Screenshots

34ewy86.png
    66x5qq.png
    2zsvho4.png
    23ixduc.png
    14kb7r8.png
    2uhn1hl.png
    s429za.png
    v6mbkl.png
    kf3yme.png
    33vom55.png
    pvr01.png
    30kx088.png
    2mngm6b.png

Videos

No videos out yet. If you want to contribute one, feel free to. If you have played a released version, that is.

Userbars

none as of yet.

[a id]Dls[/a id]

Downloads​

[FONT=&quot]Alpha 1[/FONT]
    Current Progress: 35%
    Length: Up to the first Gym
    Patch type: LIPS and A-Ptch

[alink id="gotop"]
    ioi4wh.png
    [/alink id]

CSS @ Giga Universe - 2010 'Don't steal!'

Last edited:

Giga Universe

Working on a tool.
    Years
  • Your hack sounds awesome, story sounds good, and the novel style makes it much more captivating. Your features sound promising, and the Fakemon sound exciting, as the one in the screenshot is well sprited. Only criticism I have for you is that the palette on the lighter grass (with the statues on it) looks odd with the rest of the grass.

Jayje

The First Maker
    Years
  • this sounds pretty cool. and the graphics look very promising. Zelatin's feet look familiar are they inspired by something?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Seeing as Nik is offline at the moment (AND I'm Co-Owner) I will say thanks for all the support. And yes, the lighter grass does look kinda bright... Either me or Nik will change that for the beta. As well as a tile error (well, Pallette error) I just spotted. it is people like you that point out the tiny details that help us improve.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • Your hack sounds awesome, story sounds good, and the novel style makes it much more captivating. Your features sound promising, and the Fakemon sound exciting, as the one in the screenshot is well sprited. Only criticism I have for you is that the palette on the lighter grass (with the statues on it) looks odd with the rest of the grass.
    Thanks. I did know about that, but forgot to change it after I posted about it (same with the extra exclamation mark on the 4th screen).
    This is looking GREAT, especially Zelatin! I wish you the best of luck Nika!
    Thanks dude, same with your hack, too. May I praise you on your italian and scripting skillz?
    this sounds pretty cool. and the graphics look very promising. Zelatin's feet look familiar are they inspired by something?
    Thanks, it's the best both me and Deviation can put in it.
    And no, all sprites are scratch. Maybe it's just a coincidence.
    This is looking great!
    I still like Revolution I better...
    Thanks for your comment. If you like Revolution, you're gonna love this one, as it includes almost all features from Revolution I. The list is just too big so I only added about half of the features. As I said, keep an eye on the updates to learn about more features.
    Seeing as Nik is offline at the moment (AND I'm Co-Owner) I will say thanks for all the support. And yes, the lighter grass does look kinda bright... Either me or Nik will change that for the beta. As well as a tile error (well, Pallette error) I just spotted. it is people like you that point out the tiny details that help us improve.
    Aww, shucks :3

The last line is SO true.

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
    Years
  • I love the intro! It doesn't tell much about the plot, but it's very well written. Great job on making the characters' personalities show through in their speech! Always nice to see well-developed characters in hacks. ;p

Can't wait to see more! Good luck~

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • Lovin' the load screen NiKa :D

I like the sound of a number of the features you're going to be implementing because reading minds is a fun past time. The character was majorly shut down by the professor :P

Anyway, there's not much I can say at this point, but both of you have a habit of making things look awesome. I await to play your awesome XD

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    I like how he has quotes like they do on the back of game / DVD cases. It got me interested.. Lmao.

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    A complete fakemon-dex huh? well that can be interesting, especially if you imagination prooves powerfull. Good luck to both of u.

PS. Deviation looks like you did get to be co-owner :P did u think i didn't remember XD

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • I love the intro! It doesn't tell much about the plot, but it's very well written. Great job on making the characters' personalities show through in their speech! Always nice to see well-developed characters in hacks. ;p

Can't wait to see more! Good luck~
    Thank you, wow, you're pretty sharp. Keep an eye on the thread in order to 'see more' then!
    So excited for this and revolution :) Very much good luck
    Mhm, I hope luck will aid me, too.
    Lovin' the load screen NiKa :D

I like the sound of a number of the features you're going to be implementing because reading minds is a fun past time. The character was majorly shut down by the professor :P

Anyway, there's not much I can say at this point, but both of you have a habit of making things look awesome. I await to play your awesome XD
    Thanks for the comments, and for the cool banner!

>>> I await to play your awesome

Now, why does that make absolutely no sense to me...
    I like how he has quotes like they do on the back of game / DVD cases. It got me interested.. Lmao.
    Way to get interested in a hack that way D: Thanks.
    A complete fakemon-dex huh? well that can be interesting, especially if you imagination prooves powerfull. Good luck to both of u.

PS. Deviation looks like you did get to be co-owner :P did u think i didn't remember XD
    Thanks, I hope someone can actually post more details on the 'good mood comments'.

Some Notes...

• For those who are only fans of Revolution I, I'll be working on that hack, too. Just, not much.
    • I'm currently working on the characters' overworlds. There will be custom overworlds for:
      • The main hero/ine
      • The player's mother
      • The Professors
      • The rivals
      • The Gym Leaders
      • Pathing blockers
    • I would like to thank The Master for pointing out some typos and errors on the first post that no one else noticed.

Once again, thanks for the attention. First update will take place on Monday. In the meantime, see you!

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    v6mbkl.png

the text there is not necessarily appealing to the eyes, i kinda have to strian to see it properly.
    20tjlf6.png

what are those wing things?

snap12

Billie Jean is not my lover
    Years
  • -In the 5th screenshot the word 'West' should be capitalized.
    -I like Zelatin's sprite, but I think you should give his feet and claws a black outline to help emphasize the sprites shape, and maybe emphasize the sharpness of its claws for a more realistic feel.
    -250 new fakemon would be cool, but don't bite off more than you can chew. Make sure you don't compromise mapping and scripting for fakemon!(although I have faith in you and Deviation that you guys can do it all! :) )

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Well NiKa this looks awesome but why are you doing another hack?
    Revolution was great and now another awesome hack?
    You'll be really busy -.-

Maybe the ignored one can explain...

Right, me and Nik decided to meld our ideas together. He wanted to do Bug Catcher's Life again, I had plans to restart Island Mystery. However, as both of us admired the others hack idea, we decided to merge them together for 2 reasons.

1. So we can share our ideas, as we loved them
    2. To make it easier as 2 leaders seem better than 1.

So, Beryl was born. 2 ideas melded to form one.

Bear in mind, there are 2 owners of this. you cannot compliment just 1 without at least mentioning the other, as the ideas are from both.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • v6mbkl.png

the text there is not necessarily appealing to the eyes, i kinda have to strian to see it properly.
    20tjlf6.png

what are those wing things?
    Uh, the text is pretty clear to me, you obviously have a bad eyesight. No heed though, since after you get Dextroy, he will talk instead, and the text will be green.

Those 'wings' are the indicators for the flying position. Throughout the hack there will be several of them, and not only in towns, and not in Pokecenters.
    -In the 5th screenshot the word 'West' should be capitalized.
    -I like Zelatin's sprite, but I think you should give his feet and claws a black outline to help emphasize the sprites shape, and maybe emphasize the sharpness of its claws for a more realistic feel.
    -250 new fakemon would be cool, but don't bite off more than you can chew. Make sure you don't compromise mapping and scripting for fakemon!(although I have faith in you and Deviation that you guys can do it all! :) )
    -Okay, fixed.
    -the claws are supposed to be small, but i'll take the outline in consideration. The palette is limitating me, though.
    -Do you want to test my bite? : D It's okay, I can handle it. as well as spriting for other people, from time to time.

Thanks for pointing those out, I appreciate it!
    Ok nice hack, i just love fake pokes and the story looks great! good luck on this :)
    thanks, on behalf of Deviation also.
    Well NiKa this looks awesome but why are you doing another hack?
    Revolution was great and now another awesome hack?
    You'll be really busy -.-
    Okay, first of all, why do all of you think that one person can't pull off two hacks together?

I have my own pace, and can always pick to work on revolution while Deviation has the hack, doing insertions. Besides, I'm already 'really busy'. I'm also a spriter for several other projects, remember? never stopped me.

I'm flattered about the 'another awesome hack' part, though. D:

Maybe the ignored one can explain...

Right, me and Nik decided to meld our ideas together. He wanted to do Bug Catcher's Life again, I had plans to restart Island Mystery. However, as both of us admired the others hack idea, we decided to merge them together for 2 reasons.

1. So we can share our ideas, as we loved them
    2. To make it easier as 2 leaders seem better than 1.

So, Beryl was born. 2 ideas melded to form one.

Bear in mind, there are 2 owners of this. you cannot compliment just 1 without at least mentioning the other, as the ideas are from both.
    Exactly my point. Beryl is something more than a hack to us, it's memories recreated. And, in contradiction to Revolution and all our previous hacks, Beryl has a deadline with 'school exams' splashed all over it.

What Deviation said about the reasons why we merged our ideas together is just what the first post seems like: that's work of only one week. Just imagine what can be done in the next month =]

By the way, I'd like to add something about 'ownership'. If you ever find tile or grammar/scripting errors, only blame me. D:

Back