• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What happened to the old simple Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2014
    Well, basicly this thread is just a cry of irritation as once again it seems that the new Pokemon will be exaggerated with random objects and signs infiltrated in their being/body(whatever you call it). I have seen the new pokemon starters and legendarys and find them together with the 4th generation massivly exaggerated and too "fancy". The reason I like Pokemon, is mainly because of the 1st and 2nd generation who had simple pokemon with no "ultra"-shields and random trees on their back. There are of course some exceptions in the 4th generation, but they are rare. Pokemon is getting uglier every generation.

Years
  • I completely agree with you, the third generation went a little bit off the rails but OMG the fourth completely killed it.

Romantica

the danger in starting a fire
    Years
  • I miss the original styles too. But at the same time it's always interesting to see what they come up with. I just hate when they start to look like Digimon or something off of the those other shows.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2014
    I miss the original styles too. But at the same time it's always interesting to see what they come up with. I just hate when they start to look like Digimon or something off of the those other shows.

Like Dialga and Palkia. Unnecessary if you ask me.

Shiny Shaymin

I laugh at your misfortune.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 22, 2015
    I completely agree with you, the third generation went a little bit off the rails but OMG the fourth completely killed it.

^ Excactly. First and second gens were fine, in the the third it started to get a little weird… but Diamond and Pearl just killed Pokémon. I really hate how complicated the new legendaries are, and even the starters are a bit too detailed.

The reason I like Pokemon, is mainly because of the 1st and 2nd generation who had simple pokemon with no "ultra"-shields and random trees on their back.

Same here. Around the same time Pokémon came out, things like Yugioh and Digimon came out too… and they just seemed to "fancy" to me, so I went with Pokemon. I really hope the other Pokémon don't get as over complicated as Digimon. It'll really ruin it.

ichuesther

The girl with the Charizard.
    Years
  • Like I said in another thread, I can't limit appearances in Pokemon.
    I have to admit there is a slight change in how the Pokemon look, but I don't see anything bad about it.
    I think the new Pokemon look awesome (aside from the starter pokemon, but whatever), but that's just my opinion.
    And I do somewhat agree with you, I do like the older generation Pokemon better than the current ones ^-^

Electrovenom

Often lost in thought
    Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2010
    Well, basicly this thread is just a cry of irritation as once again it seems that the new Pokemon will be exaggerated with random objects and signs infiltrated in their being/body(whatever you call it). I have seen the new pokemon starters and legendarys and find them together with the 4th generation massivly exaggerated and too "fancy". The reason I like Pokemon, is mainly because of the 1st and 2nd generation who had simple pokemon with no "ultra"-shields and random trees on their back. There are of course some exceptions in the 4th generation, but they are rare. Pokemon is getting uglier every generation.

Well said and I agree. Though there are some exceptions as you say. I quite like the Shinx family.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • pokemon in general is getting more complex. as more pokemon are added the new ones have to have something that sets them apart from the old ones. besides, once pokemon established itself it was free to experiment and be creative, now that's a sign of progress if you ask me

Years
  • I just thought, it isnt really the games fault. its the consoles fault. if it werent for the increase in the graphics quality they would still have simple sprites and not these weired complicated ones they have now that look like Digimon.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • I just thought, it isnt really the games fault. its the consoles fault. if it werent for the increase in the graphics quality they would still have simple sprites and not these weired complicated ones they have now that look like Digimon.
    so you'd wanna play variations of pokemon with the same graphics as red and blue?

Storm_has_formed

"The Storm is here!!!"
    Years
  • what is with all these digimon comparisons! I honestly do not see why people complain about the designs. If it stayed simplistic people will complain about the lack of interesting ideas, so no matter what they do not everyone will be satisfied. Could you honestly say that they could have made 500+ simple designs?

Years
  • 1st gen is good, but the Pokemon are a bit simple. Just look at Persian, it's literally just a mountain lion with a gem on its head. Rapidash is a horse with a fiery mane, Pidgey is just a bird.

2nd and 3rd had it right. Some of the 3rd gen Pokemon were strange but it was a good batch.

4th is garbage, I don't even want to talk about it.

I'm liking the 5th gen Pokemon so far. They're looking better than the 4th, at least. My favorites are Zekrom and Smugleaf.

KejiBebi

aishiteru
    Years
  • Most of them are quite ugly, the voices are weird in the anime, and the names are unoriginal. But no matter what I'll keep buying the games and playing them, as there are always exceptions and always ones that I do happen to like. :3 (although there were many more that I liked in the 1st and 2nd gens)

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • This happens with every media franchise. This argument can also be equally supported on both sides. Honestly Horizon pretty much summed up the entire point pretty well.

If Pokémon followed the same guidelines as they had in the first generation, as in, they kept the same design ideas, then people would complain that the future designs look too similar. It's bound to happen eventually when they start breaching numbers in the thousands, but that's better than in the hundreds. If they had the same exact graphics while technology around them kept expanding, then they'd be considered obsolete really quickly.

Also, the one-up they have on Digimon is the fact that every species of Digimon have extremely similar characteristics, the most obvious being the eyes. Nearly every family of Pokémon have different face and body styles even between their own evolutions, so they're all unique in a way.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • You know, if you stop complaining about the new pokemon just because they're not just like the original pokemon, and just play the games as casually as you played the original games, the new pokemon will grow on you. >_>

I hated the genIV pokemon when they were all leaked, but I'm indifferent at worst to most of them. =/

blazez3212

Person Behind You
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    I actually like the first 3 gens and alittle of the 4th but guys just think of would like like them to created 5 gens of pokemon game with only 2 gens of th same pokes its best for a little change + digimon was crap from the beginning Digimon was based off pokemon so anyways get used to the change that will come

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
    Years
  • Yes I do agree that the two first generations look better than the 4th and 5th one. :/
    I actually like Reshiram and Tsutaja though !
    BUT I wonder how the new Pokemon of Isshu will look like ">__>

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back