• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Battling Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
OU is garbage, it doesn't hold a candle to last generation. I don't even want to try elaborate on this, it just sucks in so many ways.

UU on the other hand is reasonably good and isn't actually "run weather to winz matchez!!zz1211!". It's what a well-balanced, fun metagame looks like. NU seems fine too.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So is Pokemon Online basically dead now? Because the only server that has users is the actual PO server.

PC's still has um, me... lapras... vrai occasionally... whoever else I can get on there. :( Very little randoms come on too, unfortunately! I still like PO tbh. I know we're going to have to use PS but I'll live on getting people to the PO server for now until PC makes the eventual switch, lool. Plus I haven't really been battling lately either. :x

BUT EITHER WAY I haven't really bothered with OU and I don't intend to, when I use PS as I eventually (okay maybe sooner than later idk) will then I'll just do NU.

Also there's only really like 6/7 regulars here now. :(

Last edited:

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Just to let people know I think they've released the server files for Pokemon Showdown so when Wolf comes out of his hiatus we might try setup a PS Server, PS's interface is a lot nicer then PO and the animations make it a better simulator then PO imo.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Just to let people know I think they've released the server files for Pokemon Showdown so when Wolf comes out of his hiatus we might try setup a PS Server, PS's interface is a lot nicer then PO and the animations make it a better simulator then PO imo.

I guess moving to PS now does make sense now but really thinking about it, there's only a few regulars left here, would there really be a point in it until the userbase grows a bit? Like I mean if we needed to battle we could use the main PS server anyway. I'm now kinda behind the idea of what was mentioned a while back of just leaving PO as where it is in case anyone older comes back (and just for general chat idk) and just raise the forum activity rather than the actual server (wherever it is) which'd just take activity from here. :( Or maybe try to get the new members to stay first than to jump to a PS server immediately. :x

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
One thing I would like to try for some activity is a league thing kinda like what Smogon are doing with their UU Mafia here.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3470139

Since our community is just so reliable with tournaments this will probably work better as they're no deadlines and you just battle because you want to. Offering emblems as incentives has never really worked so maybe we need something more, perhaps let the winner choose the people in the league's usertitle and signature for a month or something :s

I'm thinking having 4 people become leaders for each tier (1 NU, 1 UU, 2 OU) to start with, I can do UU, maybe we can persuade Vrai to do NU and Wolfy and someone else can take OU. Anyone would defeats all four can become the leader of the league/mafia until they're dethroned. Perhaps people will enjoy it enough to stay in this section. While something like this has been attempted before, with CBC's intimidation factor rather low atm perhaps it's a good opportunity to encourage new people to join in?

Of course someone would need to ask the admins to put up some notices around so more people see it.

Or this idea will probably end up like basically everything else...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
p much all of the s&m generation quit tbh. Or at least the majority of regulars did, many of which happen to have arrived during s&m.

Also @ Pokedra, yeah that sounds fun, but I'm not sure how effective that'll be for people because they tend to join and just forget/not bother again. :(

Anyway ONTO INCREASING USERBASE! Well, at least I kinda wanted to do this unofficially but we could all do it officially sinceeee why not? Firstly, don't kill me for suggesting this, secondly, there are a lot of people around here lately with an interest in battling, but they don't know much and there's not many willing to teach them so they don't really bother. I'm saying this because like, 5 or so people within the last week were interested but didn't have the opportunity to learn. I remember when I was just a stalker back in June last year, when y'all had the PO group convo thing which was basically teaching everyone competitive or at least the basics - but all at once, which was... a part of the tutoring corner? However, while there's only a few of us left who do kinda wanna get new people here, maybe we should take advantage of that and do something similar - but more of an integration into CBC type thing - and for it not to be on-going but rather a one time thing, and for it to happen every six months or something. In fact, you could do it at B2W2's launch because there's a lot guaranteed to join PC and potentially be interested in battling. Actually, per day, when checking NU/W, there's about 2 per day who are interested in battling but don't stick around because well, there's nothing to stick around here for. Soooo if that did happen, then perhaps the userbase could increase. It'd be less like the past but more like a get to know the community type thing. Not really like comm night but with an exact... intention, to get more people here, lol, whereas comm night is obv just for those who are already here.

Feel free to murder me now. n_n But if not imma just do it now with the smaller group that are interested rather than getting them all at separate times.

devilicious

dream
Years
p much all of the s&m generation quit tbh. Or at least the majority of regulars did, many of which happen to have arrived during s&m.

wow that's so terrible
not saying that I didn't quit either but you know, I didn't expect everyone else to be so depressed with my departure and stuff that they'd leave too ):

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
ya ikr, don't worry, some of us managed to pull through, though!!

But yeah as of like a month back many of the main forces of CBC kinda... died down and left lmao.

Years
@Nica

Sounds like a great idea! I wouldn't have any objections to it, but then again, I believe this is my first post in CBC *Round of Applause* so I can imagine I am a bit ignorant I guess. I don't know about other people (I imagine they also have the problem) but I am having a hard time getting into CBC, and I can't imagine how someone would approach CBC without a mentor (Thanks Nica!) So maybe you could have a monthly, or even weekly if people have that much time, Orientation type thing, to get to know the sections, and some of the regulars and things like that.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I feel like that's a really good idea because we might not only get people who were interested in competitive before this, but if we get the word out then we might get people to come who haven't played competitive before. If there's tutoring for different tiers, too, then it might get people interested in like, not just OU or whatever. I think it's a good idea! I'd definitely participate, if that's anything, lol.

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Actually I was far too optimistic about that league idea, with our history I doubt it would go anywhere.

As for the tutor idea, it sounds good in theory but we've attempted it before. We had a far more active section, three mods overlooking it and it still went absolutely nowhere. The problem lies in time-zones and the amount of people willing to tutor. We can't just have anyone tutoring, you have to have an good grasp of the metagame and plenty of experience. We only have a few people here like that atm. Some people also decided Smogon's Tutoring was better and moved.

If you want to try it, I don't see why not. I know in the past people wanted to join CBC but wanted to learn how to battle competitively so it's probably the best idea to get a bigger userbase. However I would personally start small. Say 3-4 tutors with one student each. If that is successful maybe then the program can expand?

Just my thoughts.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oh no, I wasn't thinking individual tutors, but rather a whole group thing occurring -on- the server, whichever one we decide to use. So together we get everyone who is active/can teach stuff and speak to a group rather than individuals learning that way, which would make it more community orientated. So like a comm night minus the regulars and more to get people interested.

Rayshin

Lurking to the max.
Years
Hey there guys. Just got into battling on the Pokemon Online Server, so I'm a newbie at this whole Competitive Battling stuff. :P
A community-oriented way? That's sounds fun. Will it be like a Mentor program or somethin'?

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Ah I see, my mistake. That could definitely work, granted it'd have to be on a regular basis to keep interest up imo. Perhaps start a thread to get more people in on the idea?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well I blogged linking people to here and idk I'd rather see like that there is support here without trying to get into a thread and in case Wolf is like "NOPE NEVER". XD;

I mean if there is lots of support sure but there's only like 5/6 rn and idk we should see what others think first imo.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I agree with Nica's idea. She told me to post here saying I do, sooo ;__; here i am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back