• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Random Writing Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I AM WRITING. And it is so much fun, I don't care that my grammar isn't perfect yet haha. I had forgotten how free you can feel when you don't have to follow RP rules or chapters and can just play god over your characters and throw anything and everything at them and let an intricate/weird plot build up on its own almost.

Cutlerine

Gone. May or may not return.
Years
Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers said:
I don't at all look up enough background information for my settings. I just go with my imagination and don't bother much if something is historically or realistically incorrect.

(Parenthetical note: Have I ever told you how good your username is? I keep meaning to. It's the sort of username people would fight each other for.) You don't necessarily need to do a great deal of research, though - as long as you're able to conjure a world in enough detail to feel real to the reader, I don't see why you ought to be constrained by anything as petty as historical accuracy. Although perhaps don't dismiss the idea altogether - very often, the truth is, as they say, stranger than fiction. The Siege of Tyre, the Year Without A Summer - stuff like that is as weird and wonderful as any historical fiction.

Slayr231 said:
I don't really do much research either. Considering most fics I attempt are original fictions and some even take place on other planets, I don't think that's necessary. At least for geographical locations, you could still get some inspiration for the creatures that inhabit said planet through creatures here on earth. Basically, when I do research, it's mostly for inspiration rather than facts.

I always start something really alien with the idea that I won't need much research, then end up doing much, much more than I ever anticipated. That may be because I usually end up getting quite detailed and technical in putting together my extraterrestrial worlds and the systems that operate on them, and that usually means borrowing the knowledge of someone with more of it than myself in one way or another.

I AM WRITING. And it is so much fun, I don't care that my grammar isn't perfect yet haha. I had forgotten how free you can feel when you don't have to follow RP rules or chapters and can just play god over your characters and throw anything and everything at them and let an intricate/weird plot build up on its own almost.

That's the spirit! I hope it continues to be every bit as fun as it is now. I always love starting stories, and I'm pretty good when I'm in the middle as well - but, er, when I get to the end, I feel a bit like I'm tying a brick to the accelerator, closing my eyes and praying I don't hit anyone. But the beginning, though... that wonderful sense of possibility, of a story somehow writing itself without much help from you - I really don't think there's much to beat it.

Last edited:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Yay! Have you rediscovered that spark you were talking about earlier? It seems that you have. Maybe a little break may be that thing you needed. I hope the fun stays, I'll be sure to get to your new chapter later. A few people have decided to update their stories today and I mainly only review at night. Don't worry! I'll get to it.

Cutlerine said:
That's the spirit! I hope it continues to be every bit as fun as it is now. I always love starting stories, and I'm pretty good when I'm in the middle as well - but, er, when I get to the end, I feel a bit like I'm tying a brick to the accelerator, closing my eyes and praying I don't hit anyone. But the beginning, though... that wonderful sense of possibility, of a story somehow writing itself without much help from you - I really don't think there's much to beat it.
I always seem to lose my momentum at the middle. If I can break through that "wall", then I can continue. I don't know what it's like to finish! Alien Poverty is the furthest I've ever made it. I just hope I finish it. I want to know what that feels like!

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I think the biggest thing I have to worry about are distractions, koffi~

I get bored fairly easily and then go to bed. Or do something else. I think I find it best to write on pen and paper, then transfer my stuff over to the computer, koff~

Bay

Years
You don't necessarily need to do a great deal of research, though - as long as you're able to conjure a world in enough detail to feel real to the reader, I don't see why you ought to be constrained by anything as petty as historical accuracy. Although perhaps don't dismiss the idea altogether - very often, the truth is, as they say, stranger than fiction. The Siege of Tyre, the Year Without A Summer - stuff like that is as weird and wonderful as any historical fiction.

The thing with fantasy worlds as I mentioned in my last post is diversity. Writers at Tumblr are really serious when it comes fantasy worlds not with person of color characters. If your world is only white characters or the PoC characters aren't well created, it won't feel real to them. You might also get lectures on how there are colored people in medieval times (which is true), etc. I know several people on Tumblr afraid their characters will be "default white" and kept asking writing blogs how to research color cultures.

For instance, there's a post on Tumblr I shall concerning a character on Legend of Korra. She's based on a white redhead actress in the 1920s, but because the Avatar/Legend of Korra fantasy world is filled with Asian culture, a lot of people were very angry the redhead actress was used for inspiration instead of an Asian actress.

As you can tell, I'm pretty nervous about writing original fantasy worlds as I'll have people on Tumblr hound me for having "default white" characters/not do good research. D:

I think the biggest thing I have to worry about are distractions, koffi~

I get bored fairly easily and then go to bed. Or do something else. I think I find it best to write on pen and paper, then transfer my stuff over to the computer, koff~

I can't write on pen and paper as I rewrite sentences all the time and my handwriting is chicken scratch haha. I have problems with distractions too, but usually what I do is set myself a goal (whether to finish a scene or specific word count) and then reward myself like browsing the internet.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I think I find it best to write on pen and paper, then transfer my stuff over to the computer, koff~
I used to do this myself. I would always be writing my stories with a pen and paper and then, after editing, type them onto the computer. I found, though, that I write better from the start on the computer, so now I write right onto the computer, edit, and then copy over with pen and paper so I have a hard copy.

The thing with fantasy worlds as I mentioned in my last post is diversity. Writers at Tumblr are really serious when it comes fantasy worlds not with person of color characters. If your world is only white characters or the PoC characters aren't well created, it won't feel real to them. You might also get lectures on how there are colored people in medieval times (which is true), etc. I know several people on Tumblr afraid their characters will be "default white" and kept asking writing blogs how to research color cultures.

For instance, there's a post on Tumblr I shall concerning a character on Legend of Korra. She's based on a white redhead actress in the 1920s, but because the Avatar/Legend of Korra fantasy world is filled with Asian culture, a lot of people were very angry the redhead actress was used for inspiration instead of an Asian actress.

As you can tell, I'm pretty nervous about writing original fantasy worlds as I'll have people on Tumblr hound me for having "default white" characters/not do good research. D:
Ugh, yes, this is the poison that I meant when it comes to Tumblr. If you're white/male/cis/het, you can never do anything correctly and everything is your fault. They want more minorities represented in media (which I'm all for) but yell at anyone who does so if they don't do it correctly or if the author isn't a minority themself. And then when the author does ask for research, they get yelled at for being ignorant and that minorities are not there for answering questions. Which I can also give some understanding to, but sometimes not answering questions that are okay leads to more problems, and we never get out of this hole we're in.

EDIT: Of course, looking around on other places on the Internet, you can't win no matter what you do. Write fanfiction? You uncreative hack. Write original works? You need to get a real job. Enjoy a hobby that random person doesn't like? Random person will insult you until you leave the Internet forever.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I used to do this myself. I would always be writing my stories with a pen and paper and then, after editing, type them onto the computer. I found, though, that I write better from the start on the computer, so now I write right onto the computer, edit, and then copy over with pen and paper so I have a hard copy.

This may sound silly, but you should invest in a fountain pen (not like those fancy 17th century super flex pens everyone's probably thinking of though). My boyfriend restores and repairs fountain pens in his spare time, so I've got access to a lot of really nice, simple, and affordable pens that may interest you! I swear, I write so much more comfortably (and more in general) when using a writing instrument that I actually spent money on, maintain, and care for myself. I feel it gives me a much more intimate relationship between pen and paper and I enjoy the actual act of writing because of it. And it really just makes me smile to use it. :)

May be worth looking into if you ever want to go back to the pen.

/sorryofftopic

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I suppose it's screwed if you do, and screwed if you don't! Sorry to hear about that problem though, Bay, it sounds kinda annoying. =/

As for writing, I do it primarily on the computer. I did take some notes on paper for my parody of Pokemon Colosseum when I was playing it, but it was more for ideas than actually written scenes (at most I'd write a line or two if something came to mind there and then that sounded 'right').

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I am a white female. Thus, I by default see people as white females. Well, not really but yeah actually. Most people around me are white (Swedes are pretty bland people) so it's not weird that I identify most with that. I often throw in black characters in my RPs though, because dem hawt. But it's really just an aesthetic choice for me.

I used to write with pen and paper when I was younger. Much like Astinus though, I realized that it's so much more easy to edit on the computer. You can print it out if you want a hard copy later.

The most difficult thing for me when I'm writing for others to read is that I do it online, where everyone speaks English. So I write in English. But writing in Swedish isn't the same thing - my brain works slightly differently in Swedish. I know that because I've typed up a story in Swedish and translated it afterwards, and it had a different feeling from stories I've written directly in English. Not sure if that's a bad or good thing :/ All my practice in RPing here has been in English. I know I can still write Swedish stuff, but I kind of get into the feeling better if it's in English. Hm.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I'm a white male, so I tend to see characters like that. Unless the story gives me reason to think otherwise. In my writing, I try to include a variety of people, but I'm still working at description so I don't exactly know how to describe people yet. I'll work on it.

I always write on the computer. I find that it's so much easier to edit, so I mainly do it for the convenience. If I do write something down on paper, it's either for school, or I have an idea for my fic and don't want to forget about it. I remember I was in class when I thought of a pretty good idea, so I started writing it down. The teacher thought I was taking notes and was so proud of me that he announced to the entire class how they should be more like me and take notes. I'm just glad the teacher didn't ask me to share my "notes".

As far as other languages go, I can only speak/write English well. I tried learning French, but I was horrible at it. Je n' aime pas parle francais. I just tried to write "I don't like speaking french" in french. I'm pretty sure I didn't do too well (je ne parle pas francais, apres tout). It's a shame I don't know how to do the various accents on a computer. I'm glad that english is mainly used on this site, otherwise, I would be in a lot of trouble. XD

Cutlerine

Years

That's a whole different kettle of fish. My earlier statement was about historical accuracy, not about representation - that does require research. I can be, er, fairly vociferous about media representation at times myself, being mixed-race, genderqueer and asexual, and I have to say that I tend to hover on the border between sides with that argument. I dislike having to explain my experience of the human condition to other people as much as any other person, especially when my experience seems so obvious to me. I do have to remind myself that it isn't so obvious to everyone else, rein myself in and make myself explain patiently.

In large part, it depends where you are. I live in a small village in the south of England where the number of people of colour can pretty much be counted on the fingers of both hands - and if you go a few hours west, there are simply none at all. Go east half an hour to London, though, and suddenly you're surrounded by people from all over the world. Largely homogeneous worlds do exist, and it's natural that stories set in them would reflect that - I wouldn't expect a story set in a village like mine to necessarily feature a hugely diverse cast. (It would mostly be old, white people. So many old people.) If it did have a massively diverse cast, and wasn't set in some kind of more progressive future, I'd probably say that it didn't feel real to me - even as someone who advocates media representation for all sorts of overlooked and cast-aside groups.

Then there are other areas which have less diversity of ethnicity than traditional centres of immigration like Britain or America. I have a friend who studied in a large city in China last year; aside from the people on his course, he saw virtually no other white people than himself - and I'd find a story set there that didn't reflect that demographic a little odd, unless it focused specifically on the expat community of that city.

But in a wholly invented fantasy world, where all the rules of demography can be rewritten, it's a different matter entirely. There's no reason not to be diverse there. And yes, researching different cultures can be intimidating for people, but without trying writers won't get anywhere. Of course, mistakes are going to be made - that's just how exploring an area works. Some people may cite these mistakes as proof that the writer hasn't done the research properly and attack them over it, and that's taking it slightly too far, I feel - the writer is learning something new, and I think when any writer is learning something new they need balanced critical feedback rather than outright accusations of inadequacy. No one can be perfect on the first try: to expect that from anyone is expecting too much. What writers who are making mistakes with their characterisation of people of colour, LGBTQA+ people and others need is actual reviewers who understand both the problems of writing and the problems facing PoCs or other minority characters in fiction. And Tumblr, despite its many attractions, has never seemed to me to be the right place to find that sort of person.

Quite apart from anything else, Tumblr often serves the function of a space where oppressed and minority groups can be openly angry, which is something they can't be in the predominantly white, patriarchal, cisnormative and heteronormative society that pervades the West. That sort of 'rant space' isn't really compatible with the sort of atmosphere aspiring writers need in order to grow and develop. Stories are fragile things, and need attentive gardeners if they're ever to reach fruition.

Tl;dr: I always find it good to bear some thoughts from Tumblr in mind while writing - but I never take writing into Tumblr. It's just not the right environment.

I am a white female. Thus, I by default see people as white females. Well, not really but yeah actually. Most people around me are white (Swedes are pretty bland people) so it's not weird that I identify most with that.

Quoting that because it provides an example of a place that's not a massive centre of immigration, and therefore doesn't necessarily have a hugely diverse demographic.

I'm a white male, so I tend to see characters like that. Unless the story gives me reason to think otherwise. In my writing, I try to include a variety of people, but I'm still working at description so I don't exactly know how to describe people yet. I'll work on it.

My imagination isn't very obliging when it comes to characters in books. I either see them as if I'm looking at them without my contact lenses through a pane of frosted glass, or I see them in the style of a watercolour-tinted nineteenth-century engraving. I'm not sure if that's a problem. It does mean I rarely have any idea about what ethnicity they're meant to be. I suppose I usually see them as having the same sort of milky-tea-coloured skin as me, if anything.

I always write on the computer. I find that it's so much easier to edit, so I mainly do it for the convenience.

Pretentious creature that I am, I write on a 1957 Empire Aristocrat travelling typewriter, and then type up the draft thus created onto a computer, editing it and rewriting chunks as I go. Especially while wearing contact lenses, staring at a computer screen for a long time leaves my eyes pretty tired, so looking at paper is better; plus, typewriters can only be used to write, and not doodle or connect to the Internet, so it conveniently gets rid of all the usual distractions. I also find I can't write fluidly by hand - the physical act of pressing keys seems to be connected to whatever part of my mind is in charge of creating euphonious prose - so a typewriter solves that problem pretty nicely too.

Plus, it makes an awesome noise. Jajuk-jajuk-jajuk-jajuk-jajuk-jajuk-hwa-DING! It's oddly soothing. For me, anyway. For anyone in the same building as me, it's, er, incredibly irritating.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Especially while wearing contact lenses, staring at a computer screen for a long time leaves my eyes pretty tired, so looking at paper is better; plus, typewriters can only be used to write, and not doodle or connect to the Internet, so it conveniently gets rid of all the usual distractions.
I can see the advantages in that, haha. Never touched a typewriter though, let alone used one. On my long train trips from home to uni though when I have time to spare from study I can get some good writing done as there's no internet to be had during such trips (I don't have portable wifi). On that note, does anyone try to implement internet bans when they write or something to that effect? Or use programs like Write or Die?

For me, anyway. For anyone in the same building as me, it's, er, incredibly irritating.
Is that an additional incentive to use a typewriter, depending on who is in the building? ;p

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Typewriters have been officially declared obsolete recently and won't be available on stores in my country, sadly. Probably one of the only places that uses them is my mother's office (an article came on the paper, it seems).

Aaand I recently got back into fanfic after some dude (BnB) who ran a magazine (BBS) made me addicted to writing articles. Thanks, BnB!

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I've used a type writer before, only when I was little. I didn't use it to write anything though, I just pushed random keys for the
Jajuk-jajuk-jajuk-jajuk-jajuk-jajuk-hwa-DING!
sound. :P

Hoenn said:
Aaand I recently got back into fanfic after some dude (BnB) who ran a magazine (BBS) made me addicted to writing articles. Thanks, BnB!
Another victim friend! I've enjoyed your articles so far.

Bay

Years
That's a whole different kettle of fish. My earlier statement was about historical accuracy, not about representation - that does require research. I can be, er, fairly vociferous about media representation at times myself, being mixed-race, genderqueer and asexual, and I have to say that I tend to hover on the border between sides with that argument. I dislike having to explain my experience of the human condition to other people as much as any other person, especially when my experience seems so obvious to me. I do have to remind myself that it isn't so obvious to everyone else, rein myself in and make myself explain patiently.

Yeah, I knew you were going for historical accuracy, just saying there are those that will still say your story is historically inaccurate because it doesn't have diverse people, even in a fantasy setting. A lot of people were complaining how George R R Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series is historically inaccurate despite it being a medieval fantasy world. I do agree historical accuracy in something based on a certain time period and fantasy settings should be discussed differently and not lump together.

What writers who are making mistakes with their characterisation of people of colour, LGBTQA+ people and others need is actual reviewers who understand both the problems of writing and the problems facing PoCs or other minority characters in fiction. And Tumblr, despite its many attractions, has never seemed to me to be the right place to find that sort of person.

Quite apart from anything else, Tumblr often serves the function of a space where oppressed and minority groups can be openly angry, which is something they can't be in the predominantly white, patriarchal, cisnormative and heteronormative society that pervades the West. That sort of 'rant space' isn't really compatible with the sort of atmosphere aspiring writers need in order to grow and develop. Stories are fragile things, and need attentive gardeners if they're ever to reach fruition.

Also agreed on both points. Sometimes when people on Tumblr scream at someone asking how they should write this certain character and calling them ignorant, I'm like "um...wow." With that said, sorry if my last post seems to be like those Tumblr folks complaining (I'll stop that now, lol).

I can see the advantages in that, haha. Never touched a typewriter though, let alone used one. On my long train trips from home to uni though when I have time to spare from study I can get some good writing done as there's no internet to be had during such trips (I don't have portable wifi). On that note, does anyone try to implement internet bans when they write or something to that effect? Or use programs like Write or Die?
My workplace still has a typewriter, but I used it only if I had to type up something on forms, etc.

I never tried internet bans or Writer or Die. I did writing sprints (write together for a specific time amount) once or twice with others before though and they're fun.

Haha great to hear. And hi!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I can be, er, fairly vociferous about media representation at times myself, being mixed-race, genderqueer and asexual
Hello, fellow genderqueer asexual!

On that note, does anyone try to implement internet bans when they write or something to that effect? Or use programs like Write or Die?
I've tried Write or Die and other programs like it. The problem is that, depending on the story I'm writing, I need to hop onto the Internet for research. While I could just ignore whatever I need to research and keep writing, it bothers me to do that. So the Internet has to remain in the background, depending on what I'm writing. Or if I want to listen to some particular music on Pandora or something.

I did writing sprints (write together for a specific time amount) once or twice with others before though and they're fun.
Maybe we could tie NaNoWriMo together with a small free-for-all writing fest for the spirit of competition and camaraderie.

Anyone doing NaNoWriMo this year?

(I originally typed it as "NaNoWriMon", which is a sign I might have been writing a little too much Digimon.)

emot-cheers.gif

Cutlerine

Years
Is that an additional incentive to use a typewriter, depending on who is in the building? ;p

... Maybe. Ssh. Don't let them know.

Typewriters have been officially declared obsolete recently and won't be available on stores in my country, sadly. Probably one of the only places that uses them is my mother's office (an article came on the paper, it seems).

Mine didn't come from a store. It was a gift from some super-awesome friends, so I'm not certain of its origins, but I believe if you're looking to pick up a typewriter the best course of action is to look for adverts in papers or online. Ribbons are still sold online and in stationery shops, too. Although currently my typewriter is suffering from a mechanical failure which stops me actually removing the ribbon, so I haven't been able to change it in a while. I need to get it serviced.

(OK, Cutlerine, shut up about your typewriter now.)

That's great! And - hello!

I've used a type writer before, only when I was little. I didn't use it to write anything though, I just pushed random keys for the[/I]sound. :P

That is as valid a reason as any. Type fast enough on a typewriter and it sounds like trains are going past; it gives you a great sense of satisfaction.

Yeah, I knew you were going for historical accuracy, just saying there are those that will still say your story is historically inaccurate because it doesn't have diverse people, even in a fantasy setting. A lot of people were complaining how George R R Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series is historically inaccurate despite it being a medieval fantasy world. I do agree historical accuracy in something based on a certain time period and fantasy settings should be discussed differently and not lump together.

I neither read nor watch A Song of Ice and Fire, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it has dragons in it, right? I think all complaints about historical inaccuracy become void when a story has dragons in it. You put a dragon in a story and no one has the right to complain that it isn't historically accurate.

Also agreed on both points. Sometimes when people on Tumblr scream at someone asking how they should write this certain character and calling them ignorant, I'm like "um...wow." With that said, sorry if my last post seems to be like those Tumblr folks complaining (I'll stop that now, lol).

Oh no, not at all. In fact, I'm afraid I probably came across like a Tumblr complainer - sorry about that. I got quite into the spirit of the debate, and, er, probably went into Tumblr-rant-mode.

Hello, fellow genderqueer asexual!

Hello! That's an unexpected pleasure indeed. I do not come across others very often at all.

Maybe we could tie NaNoWriMo together with a small free-for-all writing fest for the spirit of competition and camaraderie.

I'd like to say I will, but I'm not sure if I'll have time. November looks set to be a much busier month than normal for me. If I do have time, though, then a small writing fest sounds like fun. I could certainly do with stepping up my writing output a bit; it doesn't feel like I'm producing enough at the moment.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Aw, that's nice to hear. =)

As someone who does not go on tumblr and only hears stories about it... no comment. =p

And as usual NaNo is mean to Australians, especially those doing uni exams as usual during November. (One on my birthday, I might add. >:[). I don't think they could have in general chosen a worse month for us people, really. And even though I'll be finishing a bit earlier this time around, I've a couple small trips in the latter part of the month too. Oh well.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Astinus said:

I'm afraid I'll probably be too busy. I just realized how busy college is going to make me. I probably have just enough time to write this.

bobandbill said:
(One on my birthday, I might add. >:[)
Wow, that's rough man.

Okay, just thought I would warn you guys that college is really going to suck up a lot of my free time (a five hour reading assignment on the first day, from one class) so I'm not going to be on as much. I haven't forgotten about you, so don't think that. So... see you next summer. :P

MTG

Burning shooting star!
Years
hmm, i have a question to writers here. if your character(s) curses in your story and you display it here, does it censor the curse words?

sorry if this is a bit off-topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back