• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most Overpowered character !

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
How about Haruhi Sujumiya & Sasaki. ?
They can warp reality , Atleast Sasaki can pawn every single character since she knows her power !
Yeah, my first thought was Haruhi. Reality warpers are usually pretty overpowered. Then again, her power is kind of checked by the fact that she doesn't really know about it and it doesn't manifest in any ways obvious to the typical person.

Maybe Tohno Shiki. His ability lets him kill (completely and permanently kill, no backsies) anything, even inanimate objects and abstract concepts, I think (it's been a while since I played through Tsukihime).

Of course, this is just limiting it to eastern fiction. If this was a more general question, there are a ton of grossly overpowered characters in western fiction (Flash, Dr. Manhattan, pretty much anything from WH40k except the IG, etc.).

It's kind of an interesting thought experiment, but you have to keep in mind that if you get TOO grossly overpowered, the character can end up being a Mary Sue, and nobody likes a Mary Sue. So there are always probably more powerful characters out there, the trick is finding ones that are well-written and interesting.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
Maybe Tohno Shiki. His ability lets him kill (completely and permanently kill, no backsies) anything, even inanimate objects and abstract concepts, I think (it's been a while since I played through Tsukihime).
Even with a great ability like that, he's still one of the weaker character in Tsukihime. Even Arcueid can negate his ability to a certain extent. And if we compare Tohno Shiki to Ryougi Shiki, both who have the same ability. Ryougi is the stronger Shiki. His eyes are actually not absolute either, as he can't cut the lines of anything that doesn't have a corporeal form.

Aw, could I see a link to that? :o
Baka-Tsuki is there for your LN needs.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
It's kind of an interesting thought experiment, but you have to keep in mind that if you get TOO grossly overpowered, the character can end up being a Mary Sue, and nobody likes a Mary Sue. So there are always probably more powerful characters out there, the trick is finding ones that are well-written and interesting.

Then Why Atem (Yugioh) is so popular , He's a mary sue as well !
Then there is Ryoma (Prince of Tennis) , Kazuma (Yakitate Japan ) Usui (Maid-sama).
Honestly , Most Merry sue Protagonist is more popular then Ash .
Honestly , I don't think everyone hate merry Sue , Overpower & Perfect character. Instate most people loves them.
I believe any character can be popular if he/she is well-written even if he/she is a merry sue ! However if a character isn't well-written then he won't be popular even if he/she's a total underdog .

twocows

Years
Then Why Atem (Yugioh) is so popular , He's a mary sue as well !
Then there is Ryoma (Prince of Tennis) , Kazuma (Yakitate Japan ) Usui (Maid-sama).
Honestly , Most Merry sue Protagonist is more popular then Ash .
Honestly , I don't think everyone hate merry Sue , Overpower & Perfect character. Instate most people loves them.
I believe any character can be popular if he/she is well-written even if he/she is a merry sue ! However if a character isn't well-written then he won't be popular even if he/she's a total underdog .
By definition, there is no such thing as a well-written Mary Sue. It is a term used to denote a specific kind of poorly written character: usually ones who are generally "perfect," plot-important and liked by everyone (in-universe), and incapable of committing any wrong. They're often the author's idealized version of him or herself. If a character is well-written, by definition, it is not a Mary Sue (and usually won't fit the archetype associated with it completely, since it's basically an outline for how to make an unlikable character).

The fact that a character tends to do well or generally succeeds doesn't necessarily mean s/he is a Mary Sue. It's fine if a character succeeds, even if it happens often, depending on how the character is written. However, context is important: there are ways that can succeed and ways it cannot. A character who is overwhelmingly successful in everything he or she does is usually not very empathetic, and while there are ways these characters can work (have them be a villain, deconstruct the cliche, go for the "fall of the hero" angle, etc.), generally if you just play such an "overly perfect" character straight and pass them off as a hero, the audience can't relate and won't really care about them and may even be annoyed by their presence.

I don't know most of your examples because I'm not interested in or didn't like most of the shows you mentioned, but you mention Ash, who I do know a bit about. I don't really care for Ash (or the Pokemon anime in general, really), but he's not really a Gary Stu. He does tend to succeed most of the time and tends to meet all the important characters, but he's not universally liked or admired (not even close), he does lose from time to time, and he doesn't automatically have all the answers when trouble arises (even if he does usually manage to work through it). He also has a few personality flaws that you'd typically associate with a young kid. So while I don't really care all that much for him, I hardly think he's a Gary Stu.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
By definition, there is no such thing as a well-written Mary Sue. It is a term used to denote a specific kind of poorly written character: usually ones who are generally "perfect," plot-important and liked by everyone (in-universe), and incapable of committing any wrong. They're often the author's idealized version of him or herself. If a character is well-written, by definition, it is not a Mary Sue (and usually won't fit the archetype associated with it completely, since it's basically an outline for how to make an unlikable character).

The fact that a character tends to do well or generally succeeds doesn't necessarily mean s/he is a Mary Sue. It's fine if a character succeeds, even if it happens often, depending on how the character is written. However, context is important: there are ways that can succeed and ways it cannot. A character who is overwhelmingly successful in everything he or she does is usually not very empathetic, and while there are ways these characters can work (have them be a villain, deconstruct the cliche, go for the "fall of the hero" angle, etc.), generally if you just play such an "overly perfect" character straight and pass them off as a hero, the audience can't relate and won't really care about them and may even be annoyed by their presence.

I don't know most of your examples because I'm not interested in or didn't like most of the shows you mentioned, but you mention Ash, who I do know a bit about. I don't really care for Ash (or the Pokemon anime in general, really), but he's not really a Gary Stu. He does tend to succeed most of the time and tends to meet all the important characters, but he's not universally liked or admired (not even close), he does lose from time to time, and he doesn't automatically have all the answers when trouble arises (even if he does usually manage to work through it). He also has a few personality flaws that you'd typically associate with a young kid. So while I don't really care all that much for him, I hardly think he's a Gary Stu.

Then What should we call Usui Takemi (Maid-sama) ???
A perfect guy who good at everything and pretty much loved by everyone . Isn't he a prime example of Merry Sue ?
He the most popular character of the series who outranked the Protagonist Misaki . So Why he's so popular ?
FYI : Perfect Personality doesn't exist !
By the way , What's the difference between Merry sue & Gary Stu ?

twocows

Years
Then What should we call Usui Takemi (Maid-sama) ???
A perfect guy who good at everything and pretty much loved by everyone . Isn't he a prime example of Merry Sue ?
He the most popular character of the series who outranked the Protagonist Misaki . So Why he's so popular ?
FYI : Perfect Personality doesn't exist !
By the way , What's the difference between Merry sue & Gary Stu ?
I don't know that character, so I have no idea. However, you mention that he is not the protagonist, which is already a strike against him being a Gary Stu. I have some theories, but without watching, it's just guesswork.

If he's a supporting character, they could just be going for some kind of mentor character, who may end up being surpassed at some point in the series. Alternately, he could be a "close friend" character whose strength the protagonist leans on in times of trial, or the rival character that challenges the protagonist to become stronger and better. If he's an antagonist... well, there are several ways you could go with that, but generally the audience doesn't (or shouldn't) like the villain more than the hero. If he's not really an important character or rarely seen, he could be "the living legend."

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
I don't know that character, so I have no idea. However, you mention that he is not the protagonist, which is already a strike against him being a Gary Stu. I have some theories, but without watching, it's just guesswork.

If he's a supporting character, they could just be going for some kind of mentor character, who may end up being surpassed at some point in the series. Alternately, he could be a "close friend" character whose strength the protagonist leans on in times of trial, or the rival character that challenges the protagonist to become stronger and better. If he's an antagonist... well, there are several ways you could go with that, but generally the audience doesn't (or shouldn't) like the villain more than the hero. If he's not really an important character or rarely seen, he could be "the living legend."

Nope , He's the hero of Maid-sama but not the Protagonist because Maid-sama is Shoujo Anime .
However , Didn''t you said nobody like a Mary sue ? You didn't said it has to be a Protagonist.
Usui is the definition of Mary Sue
Well , I think you should watch atleast first 3 episode of ''Kaichu Maid-sama'' before replying this !

Blake Belladonna

*insert fancy usertitle here*
Years
Kirito. He practically defied the laws of the game by not dying the moment his health hit zero, and managed to win the insanely-broken Heathcliff simultaneously. If that's not OP, then I don't know what OP means.

E.C.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 28, 2021
I'm surprised no one has mentioned hidan from naruto yet. Not only is he immortal, but if he can obtain any amount of blood from the opponent, it's an automatic victory for him.

aside from that, I also think enel from one piece is pretty overpowered. He can travel at the speed of lightning, isn't affected by physical attacks, jump start his own heart if he dies, can predict the enemies movements, and melt any solid material with the heat of his lightning. Oh and obviously can control/produce lightning itself.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 5, 2014
Oreki. He silent but clever. He never give up finding the 'Jumonji'. I think he's cool.

Years
Kirito. He practically defied the laws of the game by not dying the moment his health hit zero, and managed to win the insanely-broken Heathcliff simultaneously. If that's not OP, then I don't know what OP means.

Haha, well they wouldn't want the main character to die off so quickly now would they? XP I barely remember anything from SAO to be quite honest.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Light Yagami from Death Note anyone !
He can easily kill almost all Protagonist . A lot of Death Note fan claim that he only beat ''L'' because he had too much Power.

srinator

I am not a fan of superman, but he is easily the most op character of all time, they actually have to weaken him in comparison to the comics in games and movies to even have a non one sided story

Back