• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TG TCG Development Comittee : Starting hand and basic mechanics

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    any objectives to Resource as separate cards? or any ideas on how to get kill-based incremental resources to work.

Main problem I'm seeing with kill-based resources is that it sounds like it can be very prone to snowballing.

Years
  • Kill-based resources would no doubt be very prone to snowballing.

But card-swapping for resources in addition to card-based resources sounds like a useful dynamic. It would need a limiter of some kind, though, such as maybe having a high number of cards that would need to be dropped from the hand into either the discard pile or the deck.

Apple Juice

who are you
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    This idea is amazing.

All for it. Every way you've mentioned so far, digi.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
  • Well, if resources had a per-turn limitation and card-based resources offered other benefits, then trading two cards for one resource is about as far as I would go, I think.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Are we thinking trading cards for temporary resources for the turn or or trading cards for permanent resources?

For temporary resources, the "amount of times per turn" wouldn't have as big of a need to be implemented, and the cost to use would be lighter to use than for permanents.

For permanent resources, an "amount of times per turn" rule would definitely need to be implemented. The cost would also be higher, but the gain is lasting.

Cirrus

Years
  • I think permanent resources would be more desirable; not very many people are likely to use only non-card-based resources if they were temporary, and temporary resources might be easily abusable by decks with permanent resources as well.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Sorry bout the break, I suddenly got my free time back.

Continuing on, how specifically do we want the free resource to work? Discarding X cards, certain sets of cards, or certain cards that allow you to do it?

Cirrus

Years
  • I think discarding 2 cards would be an appropriate cost. Certain cards could grant resources as well, but discarding 2 cards would give a standard resource that would behave like a standard resource.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    I guess the current issue right now would be the constant early-game shuffling that will end up happening due to this. As such, my thought is to change the resource system into a resource/main-deck system, or to separate resources from the deck.

Cirrus

Years
  • Well, unless I'm understanding this incorrectly, there would be resource cards that would grant a single resource in the maindeck, and then there would be the ability to produce a resource by discarding two cards - not necessarily from the maindeck but more of an imaginary resource which nevertheless behaves like a normal one.

Separating resources from the deck feels like it would create too much consistency for every deck.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    So it'd be like placing a card face-down at a higher cost to a sense. since we probably need an actual material to work with, how does putting one card down as a resource, and sending another to the graveyard sound? It'd effectively remove the card chosen to be a resource from the game, though.

Cirrus

Years
  • Yes, that sounds fine, though I would actually advocate on essentially removing access to both of the cards used in generic resource generation, since players shouldn't be able to benefit too much from this mechanic. However, if we did leave one of the cards to be discarded, that would create interesting combinations as well.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Given that this mechanic is set, the next thing we probably want to decide on is initial hand size and with that, going first vs. going second since that can include drawing.

Back