• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TG TCG Development Comittee : Starting hand and basic mechanics

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Something I've been playing around in my mind for a while to help out with activity (maybe)

We've had enough people pitch tcg ideas without really touching up on them afterwards, so why not try to make our own?

TG TCG Development Comittee : Starting hand and basic mechanics
    As such, week by week we can discuss different parts of our system. Obviously the choices listed for some of these will be off other systems, but if there are any ideas feel free to voice them.

We'll start with the theme around the card game. This will provide a setting for the game, and can influence terminology and fluff (if we decide to go that far). Obvious choices are fantasy, futuristic, historical, and tv shows (though this can limit options), though mixes of these are always possible.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    The only TCG I've played is pokemon, although that's really only because I've never had anyone to play with... otherwise I'd probably play a bunch of them. So, I dunno if I'll be that helpful, but I wouldn't mind participating.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
    This is a pretty fantastic idea.

I like fantasy as a theme for card games in general, but I think that's because the TCGs I play are all fantasy-themed.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    It's a lot easier to have more variety/unique cards/attacks in a fantasy setting.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    We could always try a combination. Magic that was created through science, and spellcasters have to be attached to basic spaceship cards or something like that.

I actually already have a few other ideas based on this, but I'll let other people post their ideas first.

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Spellcasters being on ships always reminds me of the Advent (from Sins of a Solar Empire) for some reason. They aren't really spellcasters though, just incredibly powerful psychics with varying abilities.

Fantasy genere is the easiest to do, but I like seeing scifi tcg's.

I've a couple idea's for one, bujt I still have some things to work out.

Anyway, this is the basic design for the 'monster' cards.

For the upgrades, the basic upgrades are applied to all ship classes, but all would have some special class only upgrades. The basic upgrades would be a tiered system. (Lvl 1 upgrade is replaced with lvl 2, lvl 2 replaced with lvl 3.)

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Why limit it to just tcg's though? We could proably steal ideas from videogames and force them to work in a tcg.

Edit - How about we all work on one tcg idea as a team and all work on our seperate idea's?)

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    As the idea in general is to boost activity, I'd prefer to do it long term over parallel processing.

Fantasy is always the easiest, though it doesn't have to be limited to fantasy. ie. there could always be futuristic mecha units or a set that introduces them, or an ancient civ with advanced tech, etc.

Why limit it to just tcg's though? We could proably steal ideas from videogames and force them to work in a tcg.

One of the big ones i've seen as far as that goes is UFS, which converted fighting games into a card game system. It's a pretty fun one.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Aite, I've worked out a basic idea for a scifi TCG

The objective is to destroy your opponents starbase. To get to it, you will have to first destroy the ships that are defending it.

Line 1 would have 3 frigates and 2 support ships, line 2 would have cruiser's and light carriers (3 cruisers, 2 carriers). line 3 would only be 2 ships, but they would be capital ships. The final line is the starbase itself but it would have 2 turrets and 2 carriers defending it, along with whatever offensive power the chosen starbase would have.

The game would start with just your starbase and two turrets. Neither player can attack the other until their first line is filled up with ships. Each turn, you would be allowed to 'summon' one ship per line to replace destroyed ships with the exception of the capital ships (Which would be limited to 2 per deck), or to fill up extra ship spots.

Ships/Starbases have special abilities. Passive abilities can be used with no cost. Command abilities have some sort of cost but are always stronger then passive abilities.

Ships/whatever so far.
    Spoiler:

Right now, I've decided to scrap the vanilla descriptions from the cards. I'll give all ships abilities of some sort. I haven't gotten to the 2nd, 3rd, or starbase line cards or the majority of the upgrade cards.

Turret Upgrades

Spoiler:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I think you've made it way too complex. We should limit it to just a few (maybe 5) ships in play at a time. So, just the first row, but any type of ship can be played there. Also, there's no need for damage numbers as large as 1000 in a TCG imo. Keep it to double digits for most ships, maybe triple for really strong ones.

Also, perhaps we could swap light carriers out for battleships, so we don't have two ship classes that are essentially the same thing in different sizes.

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    LC was one that I was thinking of scrapping so I'll cut it down. Battleships are considered capital class ships, and I do plan to make them extremely powerful.

I don't intend to have any units with that high of a base attack. I plan to have a couple of command abilities that go near that, but I don't think I'll have a base attack over 9000 250. Frigates will be double digit base attacks, most cruisers would have triples (Around 100-150) and capitals would have 200-250. Not counting abilities, just the base attack. Starbases will come in two flavors. Heavily armed and armored with crap abilities, or minimally armed with great abilities.

I might remove the line system all together though and replace it with a 'supply' system, but as of right now I can see that being more complex then the line system.

Edit - I'm loosely basing this TCG off of Sins of a Solar Empire. Thankfully, not the 7DS modded version. (I've had games where i've wiped out a entire 100+ ship fleets (With at least 20 or so capital class ships) with a. single. ship. Fully researched Beam Cannons doing 700+ damage a pop. And did I mention that it completely ignores shields?)

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    LC was one that I was thinking of scrapping so I'll cut it down. Battleships are considered capital class ships, and I do plan to make them extremely powerful.

I don't intend to have any units with that high of a base attack. I plan to have a couple of command abilities that go near that, but I don't think I'll have a base attack over 9000 250. Frigates will be double digit base attacks, most cruisers would have triples (Around 100-150) and capitals would have 200-250. Not counting abilities, just the base attack. Starbases will come in two flavors. Heavily armed and armored with crap abilities, or minimally armed with great abilities.

I might remove the line system all together though and replace it with a 'supply' system, but as of right now I can see that being more complex then the line system.
    Okay, good luck with your TCG then.

As for the rest of us. Can we take an actual poll on what theme we want to go with for ours? I'm actually really torn on whether I'd like it to be fantasy or future.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    I believe the consensus is currently to make a primarily fantasy system, though it'd be possible to add more futuristic themes based on how it's formed. I'll throw up the next topic on the weekend once we get more time in to discuss, since it WAS just kinda made yesterday.

@Mr. X: Regarding the system you proposed, I would use a resource system over a play for free with limited field system. Say, the base generates a certain number of resource per turn and you can choose how much resource to allocate to paying for ships. Ships always start in line 1 from base and can choose to attack or move forward. In addition to the provided stats, I would recommend including certain weapons that are stated out with Range and Power which determines how far said ship can shoot (Range 1 being 1 line away and range 2 being 2 lines away). Some weapons could have AOEs in the effect that says it effects X ships in an area. Not sure how permissions to movement would work. Base could be upgraded with turrets and same for ships in line 1. Maybe ships can also retreat to the base for repairs as well, which time can vary based on base and ship class.

Also, if you could actually make your own thread for that, it'd be great. The original intention of the thread was to come up with a system step-by-step, rather than someone submits their idea and everyone provides their opinion.

btw if you wanna try a similar game to this, try the EVE tcg. It's been forever since i tried it out, so i don't really remember the rules, but it's somewhat similar.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    I'll look that up.

I won't directly address the ships weapon on card, but the name and upgrades for it would give hints as to what weapon they use.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Ok, so the theme decided has been base Fantasy. The next step is to figure out a resource system.

The resource system is used to provide a separation between early game and late game. In other words, it ensures that extremely powerful cards cannot be played early on and shut down the field just by it's presence. Obviously there are resource acceleration strategies that can get around that, but that's for a later time. Anyways, here's some example options

Resource as separate cards in Deck - Used by Magic: The Gathering. The resource acts as a separate set of cards and are put into the deck to play.

Any card can be used as a resource - Used for WoW and Duel Masters iirc. Any card from your hand can be laid down as a resource.

Resource separate from deck, slowly incrementing - Used for (Insert target Shonen Jump card game here) TCG - Start with a pool of resource that goes up by 1 each turn.

No Resource, Limited Field - Used for Yugioh and Vanguard. There is no resource, but uses a different mechanic to separate early to late game.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
    I vote for Resource as Separate Cards in Deck: this usually promotes more skilful deckbuilding, though it opens itself up to some luck-based shenanigans.

I think it is also possible to do a hybrid - something like having resource cards but also being able to trade two cards for a resource or something like that.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Oh right, I actually almost forgot. There's another one.

Resource as cards in Separate deck - Allows player to choose whether to draw resource or card from their deck on their turn.

I think it is also possible to do a hybrid - something like having resource cards but also being able to trade two cards for a resource or something like that.

That sounds pretty interesting if done right. Unlike Magic, we also have the option to not use "basic" resources, so all our resources can be potentially useful in that way.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    It would be interesting to see some sort of a kill-based addition to incrimental resources. You destroy a monster, you can a small part of its resource cost or something.

Back