• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Was R/B/G/Y your first game?

Sirfetch’d

Indeed they were! More specifically Pokemon Blue Version. I received the game along with a purple Gameboy Color for my birthday from my parents and from that moment forward I was addicted to Pokemon. I loved that game so much and I can remember every single event from it despite me being so young. Some of the most memorable ones were me not being able to exit my house at the start of the game, encountering and catching my first Pokemon both of which were Pidgeys, defeating Team Rocket, and completing the Pokedex with my final Pokemon being Vaporeon that my brother graciously let me have.

Tek

Years
  • I started with Red version long ago. I have played it through so many times. I remember catching a missingno and immediately turning the game boy off cause I was afraid it would delete everything :D

GaryFreakingOak

8 badges in Kanto? I got 10.
    Years
  • Pokemon Blue was my first game, period. Got it with my Game Boy Color in 1998 :) I don't remember the occasion for Blue, but I will never forget getting Yellow the following Christmas and thinking it was the coolest thing ever.

krabbypatz93

August Burns Red FTW
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen Mar 19, 2014
    Pokemon Yellow was my first game ever. Starting my journey off with Pikachu inspired me to get a tattoo of a Pikachu on my forearm and I love how it turned out ^,^

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
    Years
  • The answer is an absolute 'yes'. It was Red, then Blue, then Yellow. Bulbasaur served me well as my first partner, then Squirtle in Blue, then, of course, all of em in Yellow. I was ten, the spring air was gusty, but sweet when it wasn't. Sakura may have bloomed, but not where I lived. It was a series of adventures that I vaguely recall. I can always replay them, with even more fantastic results, with the addition of Gameshark.

Yeah, I'm not as much of an expert as an adult that played the old games when they came out, who have decent understanding of what they were doing, but waaay more experience than all the kids out there who were 10 when Rb/S/E came out. For us retro junkies, R/B/Y will always remain true.

KingRazor

Pokemon Master Since 1999
    Years
  • I got a GameBoy Pocket and Pokemon Red version for my 10th birthday, April 7th 1999.

I wanted red because my other friends had blue.

I later got blue and yellow.

I've replayed red and blue dozens of times. I eventually got to the point where I could beat red or blue in one day.

So yes, red was my first.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2015
    I got blue with my old classic grey Gameboy... I really don't remember how I got it, maybe I bought it with Christmas money?

I always spent my Christmas money on games.

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2013
    Gen 1 was indeed my first. I got Blue for my birthday, and it was love from then on.

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2014
    I recieved Pokemon Yellow as a get well gift but I didn't play it much because I liked yugioh more. But then I played more and enjoyed it. Then my friend gave me her blue version and my other friend gave me his red version. A lot of memories wrapped in these 3 carts

Memoric

Real Eyes
    Years
  • My first game was Red. I recall it being an unofficial solo-run by Charizard since I didn't know better at that time. I tell you, sending Lv. 6-ish Rattatas against Blaine wasn't fun.

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2013
    First game was pokemon red in an 18-game bundle on the GBC :) Good times...

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
  • To this day, Pokemon Red was the only game I legitimately owned (though I have played hacks here and there). Good times. . . . I developed my own team that was super-effective against all the types at the time, but I don't remember it so much now :\ I think some of them were Hitmonlee and Jolteon (Jolteon and I go WAY back ;) ).

Lesqx

eRepublik Player
    Years
  • My First pokemon is Blue Version. I got this and GameBoy for a christmas, when i was kid. I'm really happy, when i got it ( emotions ^^ ). I spend many time at christmas and weekends with this.. Many cool time.. :)

Last edited:
    Back