• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Was R/B/G/Y your first game?

Years
  • Like the person above, I started with Gold, but then once I defeated that I immediately moved on to play Red, then Yellow, and eventually Blue all before the release of Ruby and Sapphire.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I started out with Gold and Silver. After that, I ended up getting a Blue but I had to trade it in for another Blue because it wouldn't work. After that I eventually got a Yellow version though in the case of Blue and Yellow I've never managed to beat the games oops.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Yellow was my first game! My brother got Red at the same time and we raced to complete them (honestly we spent hours playing them, they were revolutionary at the time) but he was always jealous of my Pikachu being able to follow me around so he broke the cartridge hahaha. He then felt guilty and got me Gold as a replacement which was beyond incredible and it started off my love for the series. I still play Gold ROMs pretty frequently now haha.

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
    Years
  • My first was not one of the original four.

It was Silver. My fun came to a temporary end in Johto after the game suffered an accidental fall and landed wrong.

At least until I got Crystal a while after Yellow.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Yellow was my first game, along with a plethora of mislead thoughts. Pressing A makes Thundershock stronger! The goal of the game is to steal back Eevee from your rival! We should yellow out, not black out, cause it's Yellow Version! Catching other Pokemon is lame! Y E A H.

Needless to say, with that mentality, Yellow was not the first Pokemon game I beat.

Years
  • Technically, my first Pokémon game was Gold, a gift from my uncle. Unfortunately, he was not aware of the dead battery, preventing me from saving.

The first game I was actually able to PLAY, however, was Blue.

JorgeAamelo

Reality Bender
    Years
  • The first game that I actually played was Yellow, it was not min as it was of my sister, yet, sometimes I could have my hands on it and play for a long bit, I didn't understand most mechanics and yet I think one day I even used the Master Ball on something useless.

I even remember trying to go over Elite Four while in the Bathroom. (Common, what kid didn't use to do that?)

Last edited:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • The first game I ever played was Pokemon Red, and it was at the mall when they just released them. But I first owned Pokemon Silver because my parents didn't wanna get me a Gameboy during the time Pokemon Red came out =(

But Gen II is one of my favorites, so it's good :)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Red was my first game <3 it was given to me as a gift and I became attached to it ever since. Sadly I lost the game. :(

KidCarter93

PokéTech Guy
    Years
  • Oh yes! Another Gen 1'er here.

I got a Gameboy Pocket and Red for Christmas in '99 (when I was 6) and my brother got Blue so at least we could trade. I then went on to get Yellow for my birthday the following year (2 days after release :D) aswell as a Gameboy Color.
    I've not got the Pocket anymore but I've still got the Color aswell as Red and Yellow intact with save files :)

Those were the days. Ah, the nostalgia!

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    The first Pokemon game that I got was Pokemon Red. I remember getting it for Christmas and playing the hell out of it. I think I was only about 8 or 9 at the time.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
    Years
  • I started with a Red version that I got for Xmas. I still have it actually I just don't play it any more lol. It used to be my favourite game because it taught me the basics but I actually liked G/S more once I got those games.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Yes it was. I started with Red Version back at around 2000 I think. I still have it, but that savefile go deleted unfortunately.

Back