• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[日本語] Japanese Help/Discussion/Community Thread: Learn Japanese through Pokemon!

Khengi

Nostalgic Trainer
Years
  • e7a19a21.png

51226118.png

532118f7.png

[Sample of what we'll be doing]

Excerpt from first line of Prologue:

{ ここはポケモン達だけが暮らす、とくに争いもないとても平和な世界。}

ここは - As for here

ポケモン達だけが - Only Pokemon... [the 達 makes the noun before it plural; the が refers to it being the object]

暮らす - to live

とくに especially; in particularly

争いもない - No wars/strife (the も is making emphasis here, and the ない refers to there being no 争い - war. It modifies the adverb coming next)

とても平和な世界 - very peaceful world. [とても being 'very', and 平和な being a な adjective modifying 世界 - world]

=(Translation/Interpretation)=

"This is a world inhabited only by Pokemon, a peaceful world with not a single war."

(Note: The translation will never be direct. It's difficult to translate certain expressions from JP -> English and vice-versa. The translation will usually be more of an interpretation, meaning that the sentences/expression will be translated to what would make sense in English in that area, even if it doesn't mean that in Japanese. This causes some things to be lost in translations, but sure beats weird sounding Engrish).

Let's get some feedback before we get into it!

[Staff]~

Khengi
    Hitomi☆

[Students]

QuilavaKing
    EmeraldSerenade

Team Fail
    Hairbear

Zeffy
    Buoysel

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2010
    Reading something you like is the best way to learn new language!
    And this is the best story for you since you all like Pokemon.

Now Khengi are fluent in Japanese after he read lots of SHOSETSU like this(with a little bit of my help :P)
    So if you are interested in learning, we are here to help you! It would be fuuuuuun!!!

Khengi

Nostalgic Trainer
    Years
  • Yup.

So! Anybody interested? We need at least 5 people to start out with, and anyone can jump on from there.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I'm in for sure!

I had kind of given up learning awhile back, figuring that I would just do it in college later anyway... So, I've kind of forgotten some of what I learned... specifically in the grammar department. (Conjugations and sentence structure etc.)

I watch a lot of the niconico singers, so I've been constantly picking up new kanji, and my hiragana/katakana has stayed strong. (I'm always trying to talk to them. lol) I'll go back and start re-reading all of the stuff I learned about grammar though.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
  • I tried learning Japanese a year or two ago, but I gave up :( I forgot mostly everything as well... aha. This seems really interesting though.

I'd LOVE to do this, although I have one question:
    How often will we be translating chapters? Because I'm very busy overall and I don't really want to be wasting a spot for an eager Japanese learner..

If I can somehow fit this into my daily schedule, I'm willing to join ^_^

Khengi

Nostalgic Trainer
    Years
  • Feeeeear not, only Hitomi and I will be doing translations (mostly me, as we'll be going from Japanese to English, so we'll be going into my native language. If it was vice versa, Hitomi would be better suited for the job).

After five people sign up, I'll start a mini-lesson on what you need to do/learn before starting this project. After that, you can check up and do whatever you want! :D

Three to go! *scratches notebook*

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I have a friend who would definitely want to do this... if I can convince him to swallow his pride and join a pokemon forum. (He likes pokemon... I don't know why he won't join. lol)

Khengi

Nostalgic Trainer
    Years
  • You should definitely get him to join! If anything you'll at least learn to read Japanese. This method doesn't really help with your listening skills, though. For that, I listen to radio. Hours upon hours until I couldn't get the title out of my head (馬場章夫新大阪大発見!!)

Years
  • I would gladly learn Japanese. I know the basics of how to learn a new language done 3 years of German so learning a new language will be easier than going through from scratch (well in a way :D) Please let me join I have so much free time as long as it is past 16:00 GMT from mon to fri and weekends are completely free.

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I guess I could join. I've been bugging myself to learn Japanese for a while now. n__n

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • I too would like to join. I started to learn Japanese on my own. I managed to memorize most of the hiragana I was about to start the Katakana and then I got very busy. I know have more free time, and I haven't really put much effort into it since. This would be a good excuse for me to get back into the swing of things.

おねがい

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • How would we understand the kanji you post? Will you do like what a lot of Japanese kiddy manga does and have the kana at the top?
    I was just curious.

I'd love to join.. but sadly have not much time.. plus I'd have to relearn some hiragana and katakana.. haven't used them in a long while so I forgot like half of 'em..

Khengi

Nostalgic Trainer
    Years
  • How would we understand the kanji you post? Will you do like what a lot of Japanese kiddy manga does and have the kana at the top?
    I was just curious.

I'd love to join.. but sadly have not much time.. plus I'd have to relearn some hiragana and katakana.. haven't used them in a long while so I forgot like half of 'em..

Furigana? Yeah, definitely, it's actually not just for kiddies :P When you have a written language made up of symbols that can be pronounced in so many ways based on context, preference, or combination words, you have to have some pronunciation clues every now and then, especially for names!

!! lol

@Team Fail: Okay!

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Furigana? Yeah, definitely, it's actually not just for kiddies :P When you have a written language made up of symbols that can be pronounced in so many ways based on context, preference, or combination words, you have to have some pronunciation clues every now and then, especially for names!

!! lol

@Team Fail: Okay!

Cool! Yeah I probably wont be taking part but I don't mind dropping by once in a while! Good luck with the lessons!

Khengi

Nostalgic Trainer
    Years
  • Definitely! The whole 'sign up' was just for me to get a tally on some interested individuals, so I wouldn't be doing this for naught.

Anybody can drop in at any time! I'll start them up tomorrow.

Back