• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick question [trainer battles]

Years
  • Seen Dec 3, 2014
Alright, so I have the basic understanding of trainer battles, how to make them, how to edit them, and where to place them and use scripts for them.

How ever, when I call upon a trainer battle after some dialog is said, when I test it and the player interacts with the trainer, it goes straight to the Comment: Battle: and skips all the dialog and movement scripts before hand.

Is there a way to call upon a trainer battle in/after dialog? Example:

Trainer: Hey whats up?
Player: Nothing much you?
Trainer: You insulted my family!
Player: What?
*Trainer battle* (Note: just an example)

instead of:

*straight to trainer battle*

lol :) Please and thank you! I'm sorry if this is a noob question. I have tried searching for this on the web to no avail.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I've tried doing this, and I've compared it to the example given in the PKMN Essentials kit: Brock is a dialogue before battle NPC, so I copied the layout of it, edited Trainer info into PBS files, and it doesn't work for some reason.

Note that in Debug->Test Battle, the NEW TRAINER works, which makes me believe that I have done something wrong in the Event Box.

Picture of Event Box:

http://i47.tinypic.com/34xg8iq.png

Error I get:

http://i48.tinypic.com/332qtn6.png

trainers.txt

#-------------------
RIVAL3
Joseph
EEVEE,5

trainertypes.txt

72,RIVAL3,Rival,35,,,,Male

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 3, 2014
I've spent the past 2 hours trying to fix this but nothing :(

I've tried chaining events, changing intros, making a whole separate trainer for the player to walk into after a conversation... Nothing works.

Shame because I figure this is mainly how a lot of my antagonists will work in the game >.<

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Same, I've been fiddling for two hours, now I'm just going to move on til someone comes up with a solution.

What I don't get is that Brock is talk-before-fight. Even Gary in R/B/Y is talk-before-fight. It's a bit standard in the games :( so it's sad that it's not working.

Years
  • Seen Dec 3, 2014
Same, I've been fiddling for two hours, now I'm just going to move on til someone comes up with a solution.

What I don't get is that Brock is talk-before-fight. Even Gary in R/B/Y is talk-before-fight. It's a bit standard in the games :( so it's sad that it's not working.

Well there might be a way to do what we want xD just that it's not as obvious as we might see it to be? Might haft to call a few script commands but I wouldn't know what exactly would trigger one :P

I moved on as well but I really hope this can be fixed! because I know I'm going to need it later.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
joey645: Read up on trainers some more, and have a look at some other trainers in the example maps. In particular, learn what the trainer comments actually do, and why they should be deleted (after compiling the game then closing/opening RMXP) if you want to make any changes to a trainer.

Yusshin: The one event page you've showed us looks fine to me, although I don't know whether it should be Parallel Process (try Autorun), and I don't know what the other pages look like so I can't comment any further.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
The other event page is exactly the same, only translated in French. Then there's the "A" switch page (Autorun) which continues dialogue after the battle, and a "B" page to turn everything off.

The event auto-changed into a Trainer Battle since my post, so I can't post another pic because it auto-erased.

If I do Autorun, the game produces a black screen (and the error still occurs regardless). In this specific scenario, Parallel Process does the same thing, but doesn't produce the black screen; just the error.

:(

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
What's wrong with translating the game in the usual way? Again, see the wiki about that.

When exactly does it cause problems? Halfway through the page, or before anything on the page starts? What happens leading up to this battle? Details, c'mon.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
It's a selection at the beginning. The game is in French and English, with a warning that some aspects are English-only.

And everything works up to when he says "I won't go easy on you, though!" The game crashed at the point with the aforementioned error. The battle doesn't start whatsoever. There's no Battle ME or BGM; nothing of the sort. The game stays on the map and crashes.

So the event itself works, but the battle never starts; yet, in the DeBug, the trainer is usable and works in battle. I can see how the battle plays out via DeBug but trying to activate the same trainer in a script crashes the game.

If I try to make the trainer (ID 072) a basic Trainer NPC, however, that works; but I can't integrate it into any storylines or dialogue-before-fight scenarios.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Did you tried to delete the comments?

Brock in Essentials Sample maps uses only a script command to start the battle (his event name isn't "Trainer(4)" or other number). The Brock event don't spot the player like a standard trainer, theses kind of event are better for making storylines. Just copy the Brock script line and do the event like a standard event.

I made a game with two languages using Essentials Translating System. This is a lot better than using several conditional branches.

Back