• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pixel Art Contest Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
@Logiedan I beg to differ. I actually prefer to do real pixel art and don't bother with Pokemon spriting at all. I'm definitely entering the August contest. Don't worry, the month's still fresh, plus there are more big pixel artists here than you think.

Years
@Logiedan I beg to differ. I actually prefer to do real pixel art and don't bother with Pokemon spriting at all. I'm definitely entering the August contest. Don't worry, the month's still fresh, plus there are more big pixel artists here than you think.

I said not many. ):
Plus I only said what I see. and by all means,enter the contest.

Years
Yes, please enter.

This month's contest is something I'd like to enter. It looks like a good challenge for one's talents.

Cobalt'Scizor

Wannabe Spriter/ROM Hacker
Years
For this month, is it basically a scene from a game we want to make or something? I'm not really sure.

This is what I think it is at the moment.

Think up a game idea, then make a scene of it.

E.g. if I wanted to make a Mystery Dungeon game where a Pikachu must find a n orb, I make a scene of Pikachu finding an orb in a dungeon.

I'm not sure, so can someone tell me in simple terms please.

Years
You pretty much have the challenged summed up already.

A game mockup is when you get an idea for a game. You'd have to imagine a scene from your game and sprite that up. You'll have to remember to keep in mind of the genre of the game(FPS,RPG,etc.).
You can ever recreate a game in a different way,like turning an FPS game for the PC into an NDS game. Or turning a 16-bit game into 8-bit style. Look at this link for a better explanation of recreating a game.

Last edited:
Years
The second weekly challenge is up. Sorry it took a couple of days. Anyway, if anyone has suggestions for things they'd like to see for future contests I'm open to ideas. I'd rather see contests that people want to enter anyway.

Years
Blah,we already did limited palette with the MPC. ;/
I know. :| And this is part of why I need suggestions and ideas since if I'm left to my own ideas I'm going to have too many generic themes.

But anyway, that was the MPC, this is the WPC. Totally different.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
By 8 colors you also mean that there can be fewer than 8, yeah?

I like limited palettes. I don't care if it's generic :3

Years
Yes! Limited palette = win.

...hm, I have a question. Could I make an entry using eight colours and make it a mockup, and then enter in both competitions. I doubt it would be valid, but...

Years
By 8 colors you also mean that there can be fewer than 8, yeah?

I like limited palettes. I don't care if it's generic :3
Fewer than 8 is fine. That's just the upper limit.

Yes! Limited palette = win.

...hm, I have a question. Could I make an entry using eight colours and make it a mockup, and then enter in both competitions. I doubt it would be valid, but...
Well, there's nothing specifically saying you can't (lack of foresight on my part, perhaps), but it kind of strikes me as not in the spirit of the challenges, along the lines of the reason why you can't enter previously made work: the entry should be something made for the challenge specifically and not be something that just happens to fit it. However, you would be making it for both rather than making it for one and entering it in the other later on. I'm also not really keen on making more rules and more limitations without a good enough reason. Personally, I'd rather see different entries just because it means I'd get to see more entries, but I suppose if Chibi Robo is fine with it then I have no reason to say no.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Well, there's nothing specifically saying you can't (lack of foresight on my part, perhaps), but it kind of strikes me as not in the spirit of the challenges, along the lines of the reason why you can't enter previously made work: the entry should be something made for the challenge specifically and not be something that just happens to fit it. However, you would be making it for both rather than making it for one and entering it in the other later on. I'm also not really keen on making more rules and more limitations without a good enough reason. Personally, I'd rather see different entries just because it means I'd get to see more entries, but I suppose if Chibi Robo is fine with it then I have no reason to say no.

Actually Im not fine with it. Like you said scarf its not in good spirit of the challenges. Im not going to make a rule against it because I dont have a good reason why, but I find it being lazy with pixel art. Personally I would like to see unique entries in each challenge, I dont want to see 2 entries with the same piece of pixel art. Im not going to put a rule against it, but really its a moral choice. I just disapprove of it.

Years
I have finished my mock-up but I'm really annoyed with my current colours. I'm thinking of nabbing some of HGSS' palettes used for Pokémon. idk though.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I have finished my mock-up but I'm really annoyed with my current colours. I'm thinking of nabbing some of HGSS' palettes used for Pokémon. idk though.
Would this help?
pokedex_collaboration_by_greensoft.png
It is from a contest on deviantART for the fakemon Pokedex. I think we should do RPG characters :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back