• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Come to think of it, this reminds me now with my XP SP3 install disk that I got a few years ago with Media Center.. the whole box is packed with three CDs (one installs the OS, one installs Media Center, and the third "upgrades" Media Center to 2005).. but I think those are all DVDs and not CDs.. not sure though, just never bothered to check :p

They're extremely likely to be CDs as Windows XP never shipped in DVD form.

I wonder how many people had Windows 98 computers with a DVD-ROM drive? DVD support came with Windows 98 (but not DVD-Video). It, obviously, didn't come in DVDs, though (but it did come in floppies!)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
*bump*

So black friday is coming, you guys! (well, for the US that is), and obviously the most "hot" things this year (and every year) are tech gadgets. I'm looking at some leaked black friday ads and I saw that Best Buy's going to sell a few laptops under $200, 55 inch televisions under $500 (compared to the $700 my dad went and bought under a couple years ago), and much more. Although Walmart has it a bit cheaper I think, I better go review that leaked ad sometime later.

Anyone planning on daring themselves to go for these cheaper tech awesomeness? Or are you guys waiting for cyber monday?

Years
Nope, not going Black Friday shopping this year.. mainly because I actually have other plans with my family that day for one, and I also usually dislike the crowds that these retailers attract to their stores as well. I'm interested to see what the prices are going to be like, though.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Even though there's no such thing as a Black Friday over here, I'm thinking of upgrading both my internal and external storage.

Not enough space is annoying. SSDs were never an option, so I'm thinking of going with a 1 TB laptop drive and some kind of external drive that's roomy enough - perhaps 4 TB? (Though, going above 2 TB would probably mean going 3.5" and powered...)

Years
Hnnnnng I forgot what it was like to be on DSL internet.. I'm on a DSL connection at a relatives' house now and I forgot how it felt to see images wipe and appear on screen compared to just instantly appearing with my fiber connection. :p

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Hnnnnng I forgot what it was like to be on DSL internet.. I'm on a DSL connection at a relatives' house now and I forgot how it felt to see images wipe and appear on screen compared to just instantly appearing with my fiber connection. :p

Still quite a lot better than 56K-like which I sometimes relieve (to my dismay) when the 3G networks fizzle out.

quilzel

net start w3svc
Years
*bump*

So black friday is coming, you guys! (well, for the US that is), and obviously the most "hot" things this year (and every year) are tech gadgets. I'm looking at some leaked black friday ads and I saw that Best Buy's going to sell a few laptops under $200, 55 inch televisions under $500 (compared to the $700 my dad went and bought under a couple years ago), and much more. Although Walmart has it a bit cheaper I think, I better go review that leaked ad sometime later.

Anyone planning on daring themselves to go for these cheaper tech awesomeness? Or are you guys waiting for cyber monday?

Microcenter is going to be selling the Surface RT for $179 with touch cover. I am so tempted, but I want the Nokia Lumia 2520. That's $499, I'm having a real hard time not going with the Surface.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Microcenter is going to be selling the Surface RT for $179 with touch cover. I am so tempted, but I want the Nokia Lumia 2520. That's $499, I'm having a real hard time not going with the Surface.

It all depends on these two things: Can you live with the Surface being "last year's model" (even though it's perfectly good), and with no mobile data? Or must you have the kickstand?

That said, there's practically nothing that the Surface can't do that the 2520 can, though it'll be slower.

quilzel

net start w3svc
Years
It all depends on these two things: Can you live with the Surface being "last year's model" (even though it's perfectly good), and with no mobile data? Or must you have the kickstand?

That said, there's practically nothing that the Surface can't do that the 2520 can, though it'll be slower.

I went to the Microsoft Store and played with the Sruface, Surface 2, and the Lumia, The lumia is very light, and the mobile data would be nice, but I can hotspot my phone, The Surface 2, probably has the nicest, screen, and that kickstand is nice. The speakers on the Lumia where better (because the speaker grill was on the front of the tablet, and not the side (Surface)).

The problem is, I am not 100% sold on RT just yet. I think it will work for me, but until I have the device I don't know for sure.

Microcenter is no longer offering the tablet pre-order online. I have to work Blackfriday morning, and I doubt they will be left when I get off at 3pm. The Microsoft store will be selling the same tablet for $199, I might have to stop by there Thursday evening.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I went to the Microsoft Store and played with the Sruface, Surface 2, and the Lumia, The lumia is very light, and the mobile data would be nice, but I can hotspot my phone, The Surface 2, probably has the nicest, screen, and that kickstand is nice. The speakers on the Lumia where better (because the speaker grill was on the front of the tablet, and not the side (Surface)).

The problem is, I am not 100% sold on RT just yet. I think it will work for me, but until I have the device I don't know for sure.

Microcenter is no longer offering the tablet pre-order online. I have to work Blackfriday morning, and I doubt they will be left when I get off at 3pm. The Microsoft store will be selling the same tablet for $199, I might have to stop by there Thursday evening.

One of the things about mobile devices is that if you're able to afford to do so, get the nicest possible device. In case of Surface 2 vs. Lumia 2520, it depends on whether you prefer mobile data or the kickstand. The Lumia 2520 can go really bright outdoors, by the way.

quilzel

net start w3svc
Years
One of the things about mobile devices is that if you're able to afford to do so, get the nicest possible device. In case of Surface 2 vs. Lumia 2520, it depends on whether you prefer mobile data or the kickstand. The Lumia 2520 can go really bright outdoors, by the way.

The Surface 2 has a USB 3.0 port. The Lumia has no USB port. The Lumia's stand adds 5 hours of battery, two usb ports, a keyboard, and it props it up. But is more expensive.

Too many decisions. :(

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
The Surface 2 has a USB 3.0 port. The Lumia has no USB port. The Lumia's stand adds 5 hours of battery, two usb ports, a keyboard, and it props it up. But is more expensive.

Too many decisions. :(

Decisions, huh? Think about it. Are you going to use the tablet more as a tablet, or are you going to use the tablet more as an improvised laptop?

If you care only about mobility, skip the Surfaces.

If you want to be able to use as many things as you can, get the Surface(s).

Years
I'm still in a decision dilemma right now: get a new laptop or a new and larger-than-19" television set? One is less valuable to me (TV set) while the other is more expensive as well (laptop)..

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
What I'm currently looking for is a new monitor. I'm ready to do some organization and move the TV (in which I use it as a monitor) away (and not use it as both methods anymore haha).

& quilly, I would think about portability and travel when it comes to choosing between the surface and the Lumia 2025. I would personally prefer the surface because you can do anything, either as a laptop and/or as a tablet. plus...come on, it's a deal you can't beat! /shot But alas, as Twiggy mentioned, it depends on HOW you want to use it as.

& zach, any preferences in a laptop? Maybe I can help. :3

Years
Hmm, maybe something with 4+ GB of RAM, at least an i3 or i5 processor, and something with damn good integrated graphics that isn't HP, and can come in at $500-$700 dollars, and of course runs Windows 8 :3

and 1600x900 resolution at least.. 1366x768 is a little small for my liking :/

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Here's two Dell's I found. I was gonna link you to a Toshiba one but none of them fit your resolution requirements lol (or your price range).

This and this.

Both of them are non-touch laptops though, not certain on how you feel about that. One has an i3 while the other has an i5. If you're planning on doing some gaming on your laptop, I would go for the i5.

I'll find others later on~

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
I can kinda vouch for having a touchscreen on Windows 8. It's awfully annoying using a mouse to operate a touch interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back