• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Okay need help. Updated Firefox, now won't let pages redirect or open new windows(ex photos on gsm arena are pop up windows), what do I do?

You might want to try reinstalling Firefox.

Strangely, I can't find anything that specifies that kind of behaviour in the user-friendly Options dialogue box.

Last edited:

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • How did you manage to put Apple and low end in the same sentence without blowing your brain up in the process?
    Alt Account:
    Macbook Air is ~$1000 USD Comes with a Haswell i5 and the battery lasts longer than 10 hours, there is not another laptop out there that is quite that good for that price.

Try looking in the price range of $800 to $999. Last thing you want is a plastic horror laptop that doesn't do what you want it to do.
    Price isn't necessarily everything. Look for a laptop that at least has an 'i' series processor (i5, i3, or i7),. It will offer the best performance, Also don't get anything with less than 4GB of RAM, Anything else is brand/style preference.

Years
  • Mine was $843 before taxes, Lenovo durability and build quality, i5-4200M (standard power mobile processor vs low power @ up to 3.1 Ghz), 4 GB Ram but upgradeable, 500 GB of HDD running at 7200 RPM (which is soo hard to find on laptops nowadays), and will probably give me the advertised 7 hours of battery life. Maybe 8 or 9 given that I usually turn brightness on minimum and the screen isn't bad either. Its weight is 4 pounds, which is better than 5 pounds as I have it right now, but either weight is lower than the weight of an M4 carbine (~6 lbs) so it's honestly okay for laptops to be heavy.

Years
  • Alt Account:
    Macbook Air is ~$1000 USD Comes with a Haswell i5 and the battery lasts longer than 10 hours, there is not another laptop out there that is quite that good for that price.

Price isn't necessarily everything. Look for a laptop that at least has an 'i' series processor (i5, i3, or i7),. It will offer the best performance, Also don't get anything with less than 4GB of RAM, Anything else is brand/style preference.

Almost every laptop has an "i" series processor if it's got an Intel chip these days, since the "i" series has been around for the mainstream for just over 4 years (I remember the i5 processors debuting shortly after I started my first year of college - and Wikipedia's dates indicate that they were first released commercially in September 2009).

In other news, I just bought myself a WD My Book 3 TB drive at the price point of $109.99. Anyone think I'll end up regretting this?

Years
  • I just have a lot of physical media that I've made backups of and I'm too lazy to organize it on my existing drives. That and I need to clear things off of my desktop's C:\ drive so I can make a backup copy of it that isn't nearly 1 TB in size, and I have no idea where in my mess of things my cables for my existing hard drives went.

Also because I've made a few recordings of me playing Minecraft for several hours in the past for a YouTube series a friend was uploading and the raw files of those sat at about 30 GB apiece.

And because having several GB of addons for a game is normal for me (Sim City 4 takes up 1.7 GB of space on my hard drive for the base game, while my addons alone take up about 5 GB).

EDIT: Also, I apparently have 90 GB of installed 32-bit programs.

Last edited:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I remember when I was cleaning out my old computer and I came across a game that I probably spent well over 1,000 hours playing. It was Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, and that had just about 67 GB. The game itself isn't that large, but I guess if you pump enough time and energy into one, it can become pretty big.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I remember when I was cleaning out my old computer and I came across a game that I probably spent well over 1,000 hours playing. It was Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, and that had just about 67 GB. The game itself isn't that large, but I guess if you pump enough time and energy into one, it can become pretty big.

Over hundreds of save files? I know some games whose save file sizes can get out of hand...

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • hnnng dat game. Takes me back, man. I still have Roller Coaster Tycoon 1, which I can actually play it on this computer now because I no longer have problems with the graphics driver unlike my other old computer. >_>

PC games nowadays do require large save files I think. It's outrageous.

Years
  • I've never really understood why a lot of computer games had save files that saved individually instead of overwriting to the same file over and over again. It just saves space IMO to have a computer game to save its file to one file instead of writing to a new file every time.

SS01

#PoC Collab
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I've never really understood why a lot of computer games had save files that saved individually instead of overwriting to the same file over and over again. It just saves space IMO to have a computer game to save its file to one file instead of writing to a new file every time.

It's so you could save before every boss, and replay the fights again and again. I may or may not have spent hours doing this on KOTOR 2.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Sometimes what works best for one particular game won't work on another game. How the saves should be handled should be dependent on the game itself.

For most role-playing and simulation games, I'm perfectly OK with separate, distinct save files.

Other games, like racing games, would work better with only one save data.

Roybrus

Computer Programmer
    Years
  • Personally, I've always liked having the option of having multiple save files, as it gives me the freedom to use them if necessary. You can always manually overwrite your old saves if you need to, so having the ability to save the game at multiple places to replay your favorite parts on demand can be quite a nice option, in my opinion. :)

Edit: I will agree that it is largely unnecessary to have multiple save files in certain games, like the aforementioned racing games, and maybe platformers like Super Meat Boy. While I don't think this is true all the time, in general, if a game has a level selection feature, multiple save files probably aren't necessary. :)

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Speaking of games and disk usage, games these days take up a lot of space. Somehow, I doubt you want to install games on an SSD despite the performance benefits if only because there isn't enough space, especially when you have a large library of games and have to factor in all other apps and media.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    So, I'm looking for a smartphone in the 130-150 price range. ATM, I'm going either for an archos 40 titanium, or alcatel pop C5. Both same specs, but the quality is my issue. I tried both, and am leaning to the Archos. Any ideas what else is in that price range that's not the Samsung S Duo? Huwaei Ascend G510 also sounds like a cracking good deal as well.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    So, I'm looking for a smartphone in the 130-150 price range. ATM, I'm going either for an archos 40 titanium, or alcatel pop C5. Both same specs, but the quality is my issue. I tried both, and am leaning to the Archos. Any ideas what else is in that price range that's not the Samsung S Duo? Huwaei Ascend G510 also sounds like a cracking good deal as well.

Do you need dual-SIM support? At that kind of hardware level, I'd suggest Windows Phones first, but no Windows Phone on the market right now have any dual-SIM support. (Keep in mind that you may or may not be able to run all apps you want with that kind of hardware in the unsubsidized price range, Android or Windows Phone - hardware limitations come to mind.)

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014

Check out the Moto G. It's a little higher ($175) but it's a damned good phone for the price:

http://www.motorola.com/MotoG

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    European Market, not available here. And no the Huawei has no dual sim, but the DTS support is a tantalizing point for me. I know that app support at such a level is horrendous, but I want a smartphone, and that price range is all I can afford. And anyway, miniclip's multiplayer pool which I'm addicted to runs buttery smooth on these.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    European Market, not available here. And no the Huawei has no dual sim, but the DTS support is a tantalizing point for me. I know that app support at such a level is horrendous, but I want a smartphone, and that price range is all I can afford. And anyway, miniclip's multiplayer pool which I'm addicted to runs buttery smooth on these.

DTS support actually isn't too important when your mobile device likely can't output matrix surround, let alone true surround from its audio out. It's more of an audio enhancement thing that you may or may not like.

Hmm, nice. Seeing as you play miniclip games, I think it might be a good idea to stick with Android phones for now unless you don't mind losing these games; then, may I suggest the Nokia Lumia 520? Windows Phone's performance characteristics make it fly even on underpowered, obsolete hardware. It's practically the cheapest Windows Phone 8 hardware you can find, and as long as you don't care much about games, it shouldn't be an issue. (If you feel that you need a file manager, it's coming.)

The best part of the 520 is that the baseline Windows Phones are still relatively beefy - it's priced at the same range of very weak Android handsets, and yet somehow packs a dual-core, relatively modern Qualcomm Snapdragon and an IPS WVGA (800x480) display when most phones pack a QWVGA (400x240) or worse display (the Q here stands for quarter).

Either way, I strongly suggest that you try to look for more similar Android phones before buying that Huawei.

Last edited:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Yeah, app support is a major reason why I don't want the 520, even if I thought about it. And I know this sounds trivial, but the flash on the Huawei and Archos are what really matters. I love snapping things, and even if not the best cameras, a flash for low light situations is vital. Build quality might make the difference between the Nokia and Huawei, but honestly on paper they're identical.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5250&idPhone2=5322

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back