• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Do You Feel About Modern Music?

What do you think of Modern Music?

• Total voters

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
Years
  • There needs to be other options between "it's better than ever" and "it's alright". I enjoy today's music quite a lot, there are some brilliant artists out there, but obviously not all music on the radio is good. I wouldn't say it's better or worse than old music... it's simply a different style, which may or may not suit your tastes. As someone who loves musical variety though, I love that music is constantly evolving, and doesn't get stuck in the 70's.

Even though the 60's and 70's did have some incredible music... I find most of it to be overrated, honestly. Like The Beatles. They're a decent band to be sure, but their albums are far from the masterpieces they're hailed as, and I find some of their early songs to be downright awful.

The same applies in modern music... there are lots of overrated artists who get far too much attention, and just as many who are brilliant and continue to push music forward. And just like in the old days, often the best artists don't get the most attention, so it takes some work to find their music.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I say "no opinion"...many people's complaints are fair, but they lack a full understanding of music history. There was plenty of "mainstream" stuff in the 50s that "cool people" then thought was crap. And they were right and a lot of it didn't stand the test of time. The same will be true of a lot of the crap we hear now. I think it's fair to judge a current song's value by asking, Will my children ever hear it on the radio/want to hear it? The good stuff will last.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I'm not as fond as today's modern music as I am with previous music, but I can and do enjoy some Music Artists contributions to music than others. There's also some artists/bands/music that I think, gets too much attention when really it's not really worth listening to, in my opinion. I don't really think it's gotten better over the years; I just think there are some that give it too much attention then others.

Years
  • Mainstream music might have degenerated across the eras.

But overall music is either at a similar level as an average across the genres compared with the past or has been enhanced (in the case of electronic music).

In the past decade or so many genres have came about as a result of the advancements in technology (e.g. dubstep) and we could advance to stage were a few beats in an ambient track can mean so much.

The likes of The Weeknd and James Blake could be debated as more talented than many artists of previous eras even if their music isn't appreciated as much.

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
  • If you're mainly talking about mainstream radio pop and hip-hop, I agree that it's been going way downhill for a while now.

Not all music has, though.
    Plenty of the genres I listen to like folk, punk, and indie, have actually been getting really good in recent years, with many new bands emerging and sort of reviving the genres.

It's just that the mainstream radio pop and hip-hop artists and the big record labels really only care about the money. They concoct whatever crap will make them the most money and then stick to that. Once a new fad catches on with the people (dubstep) they'll try to milk that for money, too.

The smaller DIY labels are where it's at these days for quality music. I recommend checking out labels like asian man, don giovanni, and quote unquote.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I can't say all that much for genres such as rap, hip hop, and alternative rock nowadays tbh since I mostly listen to techno/vocal trance for the most part but as far as modern day techno is concerned I happen to like it quite a bit more than I did 5 years ago, mostly due to discovering artists such as Armin Van Buuren and Tritonal/Cristina Soto which I happen to like an awful lot myself in all honesty lol. But yeah I have heard a lot about people saying that rap, rock, and pop suck compared to how those brands were back then and atm I'm still on the fence when it comes to picking preferences there but I've been starting to lean more towards the older variants of rap after hearing a few songs from artists such as Notorious BIG and Eazy E to name a few. That's just my 2 cents though.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Well, I have to say it's alright.

Yes, there's JB, NM and RB and we all hate them, but do you remember Deadmau5, Bassnectar and Daft Punk and all of them who are making wonderful music?

So I just say that it's a phase, even though their music is absolute CRAP. But then again, didn't your grandparents hate jazz and thought it was crap, even though it's a classic now? Same here. And we'll just have to listen to the music and appreciate it for what it is, music.

ascension7

Creator of UnovaHGSS
    Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2023
    I find it ironic that the popular music is just horrible noise to me, and the unpopular/hidden gems of our time are amazingly fantastic. If you're into rock, and like original Linkin Park, look up the band Red. They're a Christian group (I'm Christian too), but the songs don't say anything directly about the religion, so don't worry about that. I'm surprised they aren't more popular.. I have a suspicion it's because of their religious affiliation, but honestly, they've made 3 amazing albums. I listen to rock almost exclusively (the other genre I listen to is, oddly enough, Sinatra-style like Buble and such), and I think Red is the best band I've ever known. Their songs have a strong meaning, especially if you're a Christian, but even if you're not, they still have great messages. Feed the Machine is about conforming to society's ideals and the like, and how you lose yourself and who you are when you fall to society's norms. But I've rambled enough. YouTube them! :)

Haha, I just remembered Red from GSC. Coincidence? I think so! :P

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Well, one of my favorite bands is very much modern (Streetlight Manifesto), but to be honest I don't have much exposure to today's popular music. I listen to oldies/classic rock radio or I listen to my library. I listened to modern music back stations in my early through mid teen years (2002 - 2004). However, those stations all turned into rap/dance stations and I don't much care for that personally. However, from back then there are a few bands/artists that I still enjoy listening to today.

While not all of my exposure to modern music has been too great... Namely artists like Taylor Swift and Colbie Coillat (spelling?)... I don't feel like I'm in a place to judge today's music. I'm sure there's plenty of good stuff out there that I just haven't heard. Beyond that I can say that there are a wide variety of classic rock artists/songs that I really do not care for.

Years
  • To be honest, there is not much music that I do like in this day and age. I hardly ever listen to chart music now. There have been a few good artists such as Adele and a few others but thats it.

In response to the OP, yeah it is quite annoying how Justin Beiber is mentioned on almost every single music video.

Years
  • Personally, I think the mainstream music is pretty awful; it isn't about the music anymore, it is about the artist more than ever.

Sex appeal in mainstream music has always been a big part, but I personally think if you can throw 2 notes together and you are good looking, you have a good chance of making it, which is discussing.

Music is about emotion, feeling, passion. You put your life into the music you create, but I feel that it has all been lost on these stupid pop bands/artists that talk about pointless crap. Swagger Jagger? Baby, baby, baby oooo? Telephone? Seriously, what the hell?

I listen to metal music and classical music. Metal music, although not to everyones taste, can't be thrown together. You actually have to have skill to create a good sounding song, not just have an Auto-Tune. Classical music takes a long time to perfect and is so beautiful when it is finished, it blows everything out of the water.

I am just ranting now, but mainstream music is shockingly bad in my opinion.​

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Goodness. Today's music is awful. I hate pop and hip-hop and all that kind of stuff. It's crap. I prefer 60's rock like the Doors and whatnot it has better lyrics and whatnot. I've grown up listening to rock music so naturally I'd hate pop anyway.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Can't say much for indie/non-mainstream music since I don't really listen to it, but mainstream music has gone to hell in a handbasket, at least for me. For me, 1992's actually a big cutoff date - music started becoming less upbeat and more depressing after that. I don't think I've listened to anything new since 2003 or 2004 except what my family and friends listen to on the radio... look at my MP3 list and it's mostly stuff from early 1980's through '92 or '93, with a smattering of newer stuff here and there. I can't generalize for all music, but the music I'm regularly exposed to is definitely not the same quality it used to be.

ミズゴロウ

nations
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2012
    HIP HOP - Young Money - TRASH
    Grand Hustle/Atlantic - Awesome
    Aftermath - Meh
    Other Labels - Meh

I only really enjoy Atlantic/Grand Hustle's hip hop right now (T.I., Lupe Fiasco, B.o.B, etc.) and I absolutely HATE Young Money.

ROCK
    I don't listen to rock - can't really get into it. I do like some songs though by Beatles, Aerosmith, fun., Coldplay, and Japanese Cartoon.

POP
    Depends... I like pop, but not too much. I enjoy the modern techno-pop beats when its done well, but I hate it when its just there to sell.

ALTERNATIVE
    Gotye=Awesome
    fun.=Awesome
    Imogen Heap=Awesome
    And thats only 3 alternative artists. I really like modern alternative music.

So basically I don't like that much modern rock, only semi-old rock. I don't like modern hip hop for the most part. I don't like modern pop for the most part. I DO like modern alternative music, though, and some modern hip hop.

dannichols

A Theodore Tugboat Fan
    Years
  • Well, I have mixed reactions to "Modern" music of today. I do like some of these (Several from Miley Cyrus, one from Lady Gaga, one from BTR, etc), but I know they always contain songs from musicians that are giants. In fact, that's all they ever care about. The celebrities, not the music.

So, in my opinion, I rely on better modern music by listening to artist that are not mainstream giants like Celtic Woman, Afrocelt, trance music artist, etc.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • While I don't think modern music has gotten progressively worse over time, it definitely has become progressively more fractured. It's becoming increasingly rarer, for example, for popular hits to line up with broad critical taste. But there's still good stuff out there if you know where to look.

Years
  • I think it's still awesome, dance music especially has totally evolved over all those years.

Most of my fave music started coming from 2000 onwards.

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
    Years
  • Some of the music is okay but rest is eh. I dislike One Direction and Justin Bieber so much.
    I starting to dislike Hip-Hop as well its getting and everybody is starting to sound the same to me. I guess the only rappers I listen now Mac Miller, Odd Future Crew, Common, and 90s and 80s rapper. I used to be big Lil' Wayne, Drake, and Nicki Minja fan but you can only listen to getting money and getting girls so much. I like Jazz. Jazz has gotten a lot better over the years. I love music from the 50s The Temptations, Betty Wright, and some other. The 50s and 60s were the best time for music really. I love Dubstep and R&B. But my friends look at me funny with the Dubstep music playing from earbuds.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • I don't think modern music sucks, at all. There has always been good and bad music. The thing I don't like about music nowadays is the amount of sex-appeal in it. Not every single music video has got to be filled with semi-naked girls Y'know.

Back