• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Do You Feel About Modern Music?

What do you think of Modern Music?

• Total voters

Algo Fonix

oh god
Years
  • For me, 2011 had more absolutely stellar releases than any other year I can find. This includes searching back through years that some of my favorite albums have been released. I'm a big fan of progressive rock, and it's a genre that once upon a time was king of the world. Then it fell into being somewhat unpopular. Now it's on the upswing again, and we're getting more new prog bands popping up and hitting hard.

Mainstream music? Eh, I'm of the opinion that once Jazz was no longer the mainstream music of choice, it's gone downhill.

I honestly think a lot of the truly good bands out today are some of the finest that we've been able to archive during our short history of recording musical performances.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2012
    Since i've never been the music person, I rarely heard any music back in my childhood
    Nowadays, I also still rarely hear musics, and here's my opinion:

Some are trash, epic trash, but some are decent and enjoyable to hear
    I don't know why JB is hated so much though, there's 1 or 2 songs that's quite good although "baby" is kinda trashy

Years
  • I don't mind the new people like BTR,Bieber or Cody Simpson. What gets to me is there fans at times. not all fans but the ones who get mad when something not Bieber related is trending on Twitter.

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
    Years
  • TheronElite said:
    I'm interested in honest opinions on what you think of the music and music industry of today. I'm tired of seeing those comments on Youtube of comparing everyone to Justin Bieber, even when you really can't even make a comparison between him and another artist. So, that being said do you think music has gotten better over the years or has just become complete garbage?

Now onto my opinion. I think it's alright. It's not as good as it used to be and it's not completely garbage either. I mainly listen to Hip-hop, but I do try to expand my taste and listen to other types. The only thing that really brings down my thoughts of the hip-hop industry is how much Gang Related things and sometimes other illegal acts make it into songs. I don't know about you, but it cause quite an impact on the Middle and Elementary school kids. Having less of all those violent lyrics would do good for the community but I think taking it out would take out some of the spirit of the music. But that's just me.

I mainly focused on hip-hop, but you can talk about Rock, Metal, R%B or whatever your in to.

You should listen to Immortal Technique. This guy is a genious rapper. He mainly raps about the issues in the world. hope u enjoy. I DID :-)

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

To tell you the truth people, music today is just full rubbish. A lot of it has masonic messages implied within the lyricks.

YungKnowledge said:
    Some of the music is okay but rest is eh. I dislike One Direction and Justin Bieber so much.
    I starting to dislike Hip-Hop as well its getting and everybody is starting to sound the same to me. I guess the only rappers I listen now Mac Miller, Odd Future Crew, Common, and 90s and 80s rapper. I used to be big Lil' Wayne, Drake, and Nicki Minja fan but you can only listen to getting money and getting girls so much. I like Jazz. Jazz has gotten a lot better over the years. I love music from the 50s The Temptations, Betty Wright, and some other. The 50s and 60s were the best time for music really. I love Dubstep and R&B. But my friends look at me funny with the Dubstep music playing from earbuds.

Listen to Immortal Technique his style is unlike the other rappers who just rap about crap. This guy actually talks bout the issues in the world. My fav song would be "Point Of No Return"

Last edited:

Bika

lmfao
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2012
    I listen almost exclusively to Japanese music and they are ALWAYS making amazing new stuff. I swear, Japanese music production is probably the best there is.

8bitSilence

"I HAVE FURY!"
    Years
    • Age 29
    • USA
    • Seen Jan 26, 2013
    THEN

"With each word your
    tenderness grows.
    Tearing my fear apart.
    And that laugh that
    wrinkles your nose,
    It touches my foolish heart."

NOW

"Baby, baby, baby, oh
    Like baby, baby, baby, no
    Like baby, baby, baby, oh"
    -----
    "Poppin bottles in the ice, like a blizzard
    When we drink we do it right gettin slizzard
    Sippin sizzurp in my ride, in my ride, like Three 6
    Now I'm feelin so fly like a G6"

lol saw this somewhere, thought it summed up the evolution of music. :P

diab_low

Years
  • Bika said:
    I listen almost exclusively to Japanese music and they are ALWAYS making amazing new stuff. I swear, Japanese music production is probably the best there is.

yeah i like Teriyaki boyz they make pretty cool stuff

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
  • Metalcore and post-hardcore have become more popular and now scene kids make crap bands and get attention from all the scene girls. It's such a shame too. Like if you've ever heard of Asking Alexandria they were decent in their first album but now they just suck.

diab_low

Years
  • Metalcore and post-hardcore have become more popular and now scene kids make crap bands and get attention from all the scene girls. It's such a shame too. Like if you've ever heard of Asking Alexandria they were decent in their first album but now they just suck.

lol I.D.G.A.F HAHAHAHAH I think thats one of their songs

NeoPsychedelia

Admiral of the Pokéfleet
    Years
  • I'm going to assume you mean the mainstream/Top 40 music that seems to be all the rage these days. If that's the case, I'll be blunt: I think it's absolutely horrifying on the eardrums. Everything, regardless of the genre, seems to be layered with computerized sounds and beats these days, and it's making everything sound overproduced and tacky. Lyrics are getting less meaningful and organic as well, and songs seem to get by under the loophole that they're catchy and easy to dance to. I don't think a song that's dance-able and likely to be used in raves and parties requires much legitimate musical background to produce. Computers seem to do the job for these artists, and more and more money is being wasted into producing these so-called songs in order to ensure that they're pitch-perfect and overly glossy.

Personally, this phenomenon irks me, but there's no stopping it. People around my age (~18) don't seem to take the time to explore other musical genres that shaped what music has become today. I have, and I'm sticking to these roots. My peers instead seem to be satisfied with the substandard music being played on the radio in the present time. Which is perfectly acceptable if it appeals to them. But since this is an opinion thread, I'm conveying all of this from my point of view on the matter.

Don't get me wrong, I don't despise modern music itself or only listen to music from a certain time period. I'm into anything creative, really - from Bach to Radiohead. I do, however, listen to more obscure modern groups, with a few notable exceptions. I often find that the more unique genres lie forgotten under the compost being aired today.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2012
    I don't like mainstream music but I don't like old music either. I prefer indie bands/singers

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Your brain starts building a preference to music at the age of 12-14. So whatever you were listening to then really has a big impact on what you think today. So for my age group this is when (current) mainstream music just started to catch on and that's why artists that use a lot of autotuning and such are really popular. I think music hasn't gotton better or worse, but evolved along with the technology. That being said, when I was at that age I was starting out in my school's band program so hello Jazz and Orchestra music.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • When you said 'modern music', I thought of modern music holistically, looking at every modern genre of music and not just the stuff that's most played on the radio. I think it's alright to listen to as a whole. Of course there are going to be terrible songs and artists out there, but I think that for every terrible song played on the radio, there are hundreds of amazing songs somewhere else. Music today isn't all bad, in my opinion. Otherwise, I wouldn't be listening to it at all.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Technologically? Better than ever. Most of the crap on the radio? Complete trash that is produced and distributed for a profit.

If you want to look at it from a mainstream perspective, here's a comparison.

1950s mainstream:
    Spoiler:

Modern mainstream:
    Spoiler:

Exactly the same 3 chords used as the basis for both songs, yet one is raw talent that paved the way for other artists to take great influence from, and the other is overproduced and forgettable. Not to say overproduced material is bad, since some of the best songs recorded are often overproduced (Good Vibrations comes to mind). There's a fine line between good overproduced and bad overproduced.

I voted "It's alright" because there is still decent stuff being made, you just have to go out of your way to look for it.

Years
  • Some of it is good, but most of it is absolute garbage. Music videos with strippers wearing little more than a tiny strip of fabric, objectifying women and promoting drug use. Autotune. Terrible lyrics and...It just sounds awful.

Time machine to the golden age of jazz, anyone?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Out of interest, what are people comparing modern music to here? Chances are that a number of people in this thread are taking the huge names from years ago and comparing them to whatever happens to be top in the charts today. And that's... a completely invalid comparison in all honesty. If you compare an average chart today to an average chart however many years ago I doubt the old one would really be much different in terms of musical quality but if you're comparing modern music to the music that's survived for years because it was so good, it's no surprise that modern music seems awful. Indeed, for this reason, I don't think we can make a valid comparison for years to come because we don't know how much of what's popular today will actually stand the test of time.

8bitSilence said:
    THEN

"With each word your
    tenderness grows.
    Tearing my fear apart.
    And that laugh that
    wrinkles your nose,
    It touches my foolish heart."

NOW

"And who do you think you are
    Running 'round leaving scars
    Collecting your jar of hearts
    And tearing love apart
    You're gonna catch a cold
    From the ice inside your soul
    So don't come back for me
    Who do you think you are"

Christina Perri - Jar of Hearts

Not the most recent but this was honestly the first thing to spring to mind after reading the lyrics you posted. Different messages from the songs, sure, but the way the lyrics are done is fairly similar. I'm sure the reverse is true, too - for the modern examples you gave there were undoubtedly examples from "then" that worked in similar ways.

edit: further to this, do people have problems with modern music outside of lyrics? Instrumentals, anyone?

Last edited:
    Back