• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon... a fading fad?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2004
    Is it? I recently read a news article that stated recent studies showed that Pokemon is slowly dying. But could it?!? Now there are headlines like: Kids Sell Pokemon Collection, Yu-Gi-Oh Replaces Pokemon, and the worst...
    Anti-Pokemon Websites Take #1 Spot.

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *Huff, Puff* OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :'(

Would it, could it, have be chipped when we weren't looking? Will that chip be a scar, or will it tear down the tower of Pokemon forever???

POKEMON 4EVER!!!

orange*berry

Has catching up to do...
    Years
  • In America, Pokemon was nothing more than a fad. It died out years ago, and you can never seem to find anyone else who likes it.

You can still try to convince your friends that Pokemon is a good thing. n.n- All of my friends are Pokemon fans that didn't care for it for a few years, but then I got them interested again. It really caters to everyone, so it's not so difficult to get into.

Sayuri no Hoshi

♥ i'm loving angels instead ♥
    Years

• And orange*berry is right again! ^_^ True, Pokemon was nothing more than a fad in the United States. I think it reached its peak in 2000-2001 when the Johto Journeys season premiered on KidsWB. It just dwindled down after that. And when Yu-Gi-Oh! came into the scene, it became the new fad that was similar to Pokemon because of the "monsters" to collect. Some nervy kid asked a question at Pokemon.Com that he'd bring people to like Pokemon again if they gave him all the stuff he wanted. They replied back saying that Pokemon never died and it's still alive. In a way, they're right. Japan has four Pokemon Centers going and there were huge, HUGE lines waiting to get in when the one in Fukuoka had its grand opening. Also, KidsWB still is playing the new Pokemon episodes--if it had really died in kids' (or the young at heart!) interests, they would've removed it from line-up immediately. I've seen shows that haven't lasted too long at all on KidsWB. Anywho, that's my two cents added in. ^_^

Last edited:

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    This belongs in Pok?mon General. ^_^; *moved*

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • pok?mon is dead?

I knew it was no longer in the Lycos top 50 (which was its initial gauge of success) but when did Anti-pok?mon websites take the top spot?

I blame the anime...it has convinced the minds of people who were once neutral to pok?mon that the world of pok?mon is one big kiddie playtime. I also think the success of the TCG was a big factor too...people finally saw how stupid (and expenxive) it was to collect them, and now the actual game involved isn't as fun anymore (thanks to yu-gi-oh).
    In fact, the only real good property of the pok?mon merchandise are the video games (Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Stadium 1&2, Colosseum NOT Pinball, Snap, Hey you Pikachu, or Pok?mon Channel)

Ideally people think that pok?mon is only for little kids because of all the kiddie happenings in the TV show...little do they know all the deep intricacies of the pok?mon video games...the stuff that makes pok?mon cool...

Greed

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2008
    Yep, Pokemon is fading O_o; I read another article too

Yu-Gi-Oh replaces Pokemon?! YESSS! Okay, I admit it.. I like Yu-Gi-Oh a whole lot better, I dunno, I think cus it has hotter guys and chicks *yes I have a crush on all the guys there except Kaiba* he he he.. ^^;

I have to admit it, Pokemon is childish.. :p And I started to hate it some few months ago.. -_-; Not all the characters, I mean the plot and stuff >_<;

I think Yu-Gi-Oh and shows that show more cooler monsters and people make audiences get attracted by it ^^; I do tell my friends I like Pokemon, but they're more addicted to other shows. Pokemon is a kiddie show, and teens don't want to see shows that are predictable.

Most people hate predicting right all the time, so they want shows that will actually prove them wrong for once. That's how many human minds work.

I'm already tired of knowing Satoshi's gonna win and no one will be hurt >__<; I want some frigging action, d*** it!

Besides, most Pokemon girls don't look that pretty, Yu-Gi-Oh's got HOTTER girls ^_^;

*gets killed by Yu-Gi-Oh girls*

Arore

I Like to Kill Things
    Years
  • Well, it IS a fad, after all. I mean, look at poor Digimon! It was super-popular, but now it is ignored totally. :( The same goes with anything that is ultra-popular; the more popular it is, the faster it fades. It is natural, yet sad, but it happens and it cannot be stopped.

Greed

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2008
    Arore said:
    Well, it IS a fad, after all. I mean, look at poor Digimon! It was super-popular, but now it is ignored totally. :( The same goes with anything that is ultra-popular; the more popular it is, the faster it fades. It is natural, yet sad, but it happens and it cannot be stopped.

Yeah, everything will fade someday, sooner or later..

Pokemon's faded already in my hometown, nobody talks about, nobody advertises it anymore, I noticed..

*gets killed by Pokemon*

Tweak

i don't like yugioh and i never got into it, maybe cause of the way the characters are drawn in anime. (his hair...annoys me, the way it sticks up) if yugioh was drawn differently in the anime, i MIGHT have gotten into it.

=/ maybe if the pokemon anime was drawn differently more people would stick with it? i think first impression really counts. right now, they are gearing it towards kids only. not for older people. and its the older people around 15-22 years old now (2003) that started loving pokemon when it started in 1998/1997. i'm quite dissapoinrted yugioh cards replaced pokemon cards in the local card shop. =/ no offense, but the yugioh cards are ugly in my opinion, and they might be scarey to some kids. yet...many kids love yugioh as they did with pokemon, digimon, ect;. =-=; sighhh...we may never get how the "fad factor" works.

dbz is still popular with many people and it is a very old anime. maybe if pokemon had violent battles more people would like it??? o_O; people must have a thing for violence and more mature cartoons. cause they think "cute cartoons are for kids". but we were all once "kids".

for me, i will always like pokemon =D i will be the last fan standing. whahahahha :badsmile:

100marios

Reigning Dork Champion of PC
    Years
  • Zapchu said:
    i don't like yugioh and i never got into it, maybe cause of the way the characters are drawn in anime. (his hair...annoys me, the way it sticks up) if yugioh was drawn differently in the anime, i MIGHT have gotten into it.

=/ maybe if the pokemon anime was drawn differently more people would stick with it? i think first impression really counts. right now, they are gearing it towards kids only. not for older people. and its the older people around 15-22 years old now (2003) that started loving pokemon when it started in 1998/1997. i'm quite dissapoinrted yugioh cards replaced pokemon cards in the local card shop. =/ no offense, but the yugioh cards are ugly in my opinion, and they might be scarey to some kids. yet...many kids love yugioh as they did with pokemon, digimon, ect;. =-=; sighhh...we may never get how the "fad factor" works.

dbz is still popular with many people and it is a very old anime. maybe if pokemon had violent battles more people would like it??? o_O; people must have a thing for violence and more mature cartoons. cause they think "cute cartoons are for kids". but we were all once "kids".

for me, i will always like pokemon =D i will be the last fan standing. whahahahha :badsmile:
    I agree with you in many ways. Yu gi oh for some reason, is kinda disturbing, too disturbing my liking. Oh and you won't be the only fan standing for pokemon!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    I really agree with orange*berry and Zapchu. I did see an article on this dumb gaming magazine about Pok?mon vs. Yu-gi-oh. They didn't exactly insult Pok?mon, except that they said that Yu-gi-oh was 'a Pocket Monster's worst nightmare'. That ticked me off. Though I don't have anything against Yu-gi-oh or anyone who likes it, I just wonder how so many people actually enjoy all of the gloomy, dark, evil-type stuff that's in it. Atleast everyone on Pok?mon gets along and stuff. ._. Anyways, a lot of people around here, especially my brother's friends, still like Pok?mon. And I've never bothered to befriend anyone who hated this Anim?! =P So all of my friends like it.

punkie90

You can call me PK!
    Years
  • Well. I like ygo and pokemon. It's just yugioh's tcg is alot more fun. /And pokemon is a very happy thing that is always so cheery and sometimes gets annoying. So if there is one game with ugly monster and is a devilwarshiping. Magic the Gathering!

Q Man

Erm...
    Years
  • Hmm, quite the mixed bag of responses here...
    Personally, I don't care how childish the show gets, I'll still like it... Besides, isn't it supposed to be an 'all ages' thing?
    *aherm*
    Now, I can respect that everybody has thier own opinions, and they have the right to voice them, but I would just LOVE to go and delete every Pok?mon hater website, and more than likely smash thier computers in, too... *evil me!*
    *heh*
    The thing is, Pok?mon and related things (Digimon, etc) have faded considerably, especially now that Yu-Gi-Oh is hogging the local spotlight, but you know what? It'll eventually fade too, being replaced by something 'fresher' or 'cooler'... I'm not going to stop liking Pok?mon, probably won't for a long, LONG time... (even with the fact that I absolutely dispise May, I still make an effort to watch the new episodes) But I dunno what it is, there's just something I don't like about YGO... Almost as though its lacking somehting... *shrug*

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • let's not drag "devilworship" for anything here... reminds me of that LandoverBaptist's funny arguments (note: LandoverBaptist is not a real Baptist association but a Christian mockery site... it's like a political comedy site but it's about Christians)

Pokemon in terms of the world's standings is certainly fading in dramatic speed... as the world only appreciates new stuff. Hardly anything for the teenager's world can stand up for a long time, Pokemon, Yugioh included... few years later something new comes along and Yugioh will be the one that falls... it's just a very ordinary cycle.

Greed

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2008
    Pokemon, Digimon, Dragonball Z, they're dead here where I live o_o;; Yu-Gi-Oh's taken its place,

I really dislike people disliking Yu-Gi-Oh just cus they took Pokemon's spotlight =_=;;
    Pokemon is REALLY childish, and its fans have grown more mature, they want more scary stuff and etc.

Yu-Gi-Oh's childish *with all that friendship stuff and crap* and I guess its fans will get tired of it.. ;_; It has dark and scary monsters, and little children may be afraid of it, but they'll grow too, and probably they might like it cus they are old enough O_o; Or maybe they will just drop it, cus another better show might come up o-o;

I also think the other reason Pokemon has dropped is cus the show's too frigging looooong.. Its annoying already.. >_<;

Hey, at least Pokemon got replaced by a better show, no shame in that.

*gets killed by people*

Years
  • Pokemon's a complete success in Japan. It tops at #3 in the top 10 anime list... (Curse Prince of Tennis and Naruto!)

Here in America, some americans jave short attention span... so anything to them are fads... a year from now, Yu-Gi-Oh might stink in the dumps with Pokemon...

Rift

Let's Venture Onward!
    Years
  • I think all my friends still like Pokemon cause one day one of my friends was playin ruby! and i asked "Hey whatcha got there Andrew?" and he said "um...nothing! its um...Breath of Fire!" and i said "Breath of Fire aint red!" then i said "Is it Pokemon?" and he said "I hate you..." but he siad it sarcastically! :P

Arwen

Beautiful Elf Maiden(Mod)
    Years
  • 1. More filler episodes make the TV show worse
    2. Too many pointless games made (snap, pinball, channel, hey you pikachu)
    3. Miramax not promoting the movies/ limited release
    4. Movies for pokemon isn't exciting as a Bond or LOTR Movies.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back