• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Rival Speculation

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • Well, the last thread of this died, however, I'd like everyone to have the opportunity to express new thoughts or new ideas. :3

So, yeah. The Rival(s). We get at least one in every pokemon game, so, it stands to reason that there should be at least one here too. So anyway... What do you think the rival(s) will be like in Pokemon X&Y?

Now, this is just a list of questions to think about; you don't have to answer each and everyone one. D:

• What should this rival be named?
    • How many Rivals should there be?
    • What sort of personality should this new rival have?
    • What should this rival look like?
    • What sorts of pokemon should these rivals use?
    • How difficult should beating this rival be?
    • How successful should this rival be when it comes to filling out their own pokedex, obtaining gym badges, and trying to be a champion on their own?
    • Should the rival help you out when it comes to the evil teams?
    • Any other thoughts?

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • I really liked having two rivals in B/W. It was a nice change of pace from only having one over the years, and it lead to more variance in the story line, especially since they had different goals to achieve. I'd love to see multiple rivals appear in the games again.

I would really love for them to have more dynamic teams though. It's always been their starter + the starting bird + 3 or 4 other random Pokémon, where 2 of them usually complete a Grass/Fire/Water core. I just would like to see their teams change more as the games progress, upgrading some weaker Pokémon they have with a few stronger ones you can find later in the games.

As far as the story goes, I would love them to have some participation with the evil team and the story line in general. I think DPP nailed this with Barry, having him being alongside you for pretty much every major battle that the evil team had for you. It's not like their oblivious to what's going on, and if they're friends with you they probably want to get involved too!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    What about if we had a female rival...? Like all along we've had males basically, other than the other protagonist, but this time around we could have a competitive girl. Could be interesting??

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • A main female rival is a nice idea! One that isn't also the main character, that is~ But yes, I agree that whoever the new rival is, he/she should have a harder team to beat. Well, rivals generally have... a starter that can beat our starter, and the starter bird pokemon. But, could they change that to something more challenging? I'm just thinking, what if the rival started off with a Dragon type instead? Well, granted, not a lot of dragon-type pokemon have good moves in the start, well, maybe except for Gible who can use Dragon Rage which is just... deadly around level 15-25.

I'd like the rival to have some form of development too. Well, we did get that with our rivals a lot, and yeah, I would like to see the rival have that again! And you know what, maybe the rival should be the champion before us again! I missed that competitive feeling of trying to beat Blue/Gary/whatever else you want to call him, for the championship crown, y'know? Perhaps he/she should also be... somewhat of a hindrance to us when it comes trying to beat the villainous team, and then, well, he/she can finally help us at the end.

pokemonlova

pokemonlova
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2013
    Two rivals would be awesome, I really loved the B/W style of it. Like sort-of posted by someone else earlier, they should definitely have a major edge over the character to make the game a little more interesting.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    i would love to see 2 rivals again. It was a great addition to the game in black and white.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2020
    Personally, I prefer the obnoxious, annoying rivals who treat the player dismissively. I don't know why. I just do. Female rival would be great, because it's about friggin' time.

/quote Miss Doronjo:

"Perhaps he/she should also be... somewhat of a hindrance to us when it comes trying to beat the villainous team, and then, well, he/she can finally help us at the end."

That sounds pretty cool.

I was actually thinking of something else. It's just an idea. I agree your rival should be strong enough to pose an actual challenge. He shouldn't use stupid moves, he should be at the same level as you or higher, use strong pokemon (maybe a dragon), change his team during the game... you get the idea. BUT, to compensate for that, the game should somehow guarantee your pokemon are fully healed before you fight your rival. Maybe your rival could heal your pokemon before battling you.

It's your rival, dammit. Not some random youngster Michael. You're not supposed to be able to defeat him easily after going through a building full of grunts. I'd like to be able to take the rival more seriously.

Pacifist

Its a Destiny
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2014
    What about your rival being a gym leader, not a friend of the same town just a gym leader that for some reason you want to defeat? i really think its annoying that your rival is every time the same with a different personality

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 13, 2020
    What if...there WAS no rival?

*dramatic suspenseful chord of suspense*

But seriously, I have no idea. I really liked May/Brendan's "friendly but not extremely ditzy" personalities in RSE, but then you only fight them like 3 times before they disappear from the face of the earth. :l

As long as any new rival gets as much character development as Hue got in BW2, I'll be happy. Though having a female rival for a change would be pretty cool, or using multiple rivals again.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • I agree on the character development like Hugh had. I think he was probably one of the best rivals solely for that reason. I mean I didn't love him as a character, but I at least sympathized with him.

However, I'd love to see the rival with that much characterization, but take on the antagonist role like Green/Blue/Gary or Silver did back in the first two generations. I thought it was more fun having a rival that you are actually against than a friend where it's just friendly competition.

Years
  • I hear people say often, it would be cool to have the son/daughter of the leader of the villainous team be a rival. I'm all for that.

If we get two rivals (which I hope we do) I want one of them to be the typical friendly/childhood friend figure, then one in the same vein as Silver and Gary.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I hear people say often, it would be cool to have the son/daughter of the leader of the villainous team be a rival. I'm all for that.

If we get two rivals (which I hope we do) I want one of them to be the typical friendly/childhood friend figure, then one in the same vein as Silver and Gary.

I think Silver could be classed as the first thing because he was Giovanni's son after all. :/ They would still have to do their own thing because, if you only spotted them among the villains, it would seem like a big waste to me because they're practically one of them...

I'm still standing by my hope for a sibling rivalry at long last. That would make for the best personal/emotional story because well, they're your brother or sister and you grew up with them regardless. You could be the younger one(probably by a few years so it makes sense for them to think they know so much more yet not have too big a 'headstart') who's always picked on by them or something. This would satisfy your craving to kick them in the a** usually(and bring back that conceited attitude that everyone loved Blue for) but you'd still have a bond there too.

You know what? I was going to say to have a supportive friend but hell, why not throw in another sibling instead? They could be younger than you and would be the more supportive one because of you sympathizing being a younger sibling and treat them better than the oldest.

Hell, just throw in a friend or two, too; One could know you and the youngest sibling and the other could be a jerk and a friend of the oldest. I'd love to have a freakin' complicated rivalry like this, even if it isn't likely to happen.

I at least want a sibling though....and there ends my idea.

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2013
    You know what? I actually liked the douche-bag rival in gold and silver, he was kinda humorous at times and it was so satisfying to beat that obnoxious douche-bag.

Hey, Aerilyn, if you're reading this is it acceptable for me to write douche-bag or is it too inappropriate and likely to be deleted?

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • I think Silver could be classed as the first thing because he was Giovanni's son after all. :/ They would still have to do their own thing because, if you only spotted them among the villains, it would seem like a big waste to me because they're practically one of them...

I'm still standing by my hope for a sibling rivalry at long last. That would make for the best personal/emotional story because well, they're your brother or sister and you grew up with them regardless. You could be the younger one(probably by a few years so it makes sense for them to think they know so much more yet not have too big a 'headstart') who's always picked on by them or something. This would satisfy your craving to kick them in the a** usually(and bring back that conceited attitude that everyone loved Blue for) but you'd still have a bond there too.

You know what? I was going to say to have a supportive friend but hell, why not throw in another sibling instead? They could be younger than you and would be the more supportive one because of you sympathizing being a younger sibling and treat them better than the oldest.

Hell, just throw in a friend or two, too; One could know you and the youngest sibling and the other could be a jerk and a friend of the oldest. I'd love to have a freakin' complicated rivalry like this, even if it isn't likely to happen.

I at least want a sibling though....and there ends my idea.

I actually would love to see a sibling rivalry sort of thing. Actually, I'd love to see them use sibling rivalry to have your sibling join the evil team to finally get the power to beat you. It'd make for a very interesting plot. Now we have to beat the evil team AND save our sister, but which comes first?

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Yeah, maybe she'll admire the villainous team and see it as a sure-fire way to get stronger than us but, in the end, maybe they could have just been using her for something. I'd love for the finale to have both of us teaming up against the leader/top admin or whomever. This could also be the point where she shows some kind of new respect for us and the way we believe gets us stronger(the typical lovey dovey relationship with our Pokemon stuff). She doesn't have to turn goody goody or anything, but even bad trainers can have some kind of respect for their nicer rivals.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • A big two thumbs up for the idea of a sibling rivalry taking place. It'd be a breath of fresh air from the traditional childhood friend turned rival. The numerous storylines they could pull from a sibling rival and the emotional conflict and character development they could map out throughout the game is far and wide. I'd really enjoy the games even more if they decided to go down this route and really develop something refreshing and deep with it.

That being said, I don't just want one rival. I like having at least two, maybe three. I like Nica's idea of having a sassy female rival who has a competitive side to her. All the female "rivals" we've had in the past have all been really friendly or clumsy, and I'd really like to see something new from a female rival. In return, they can make the other male rival the "nice" guy.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Reflecting on Black 2 and White 2 for a minute, Hugh wasn't really much of a rival when you really think about it, was he? Sure he battled us a few times here and there, but there wasn't much rivalry between the protagonist and Hugh. He ultimately had his own separate goal from the player and they were really more friends than they were actual rivals.

So while I liked Hugh and his development as a character, I really hope we get someone who's goal is the same as the player and actually feels more like a rival than a friend. With Hugh, I never got a sense that he was really our rival and there was never any satisfaction ─ for me anyway ─ after beating him. It was like, "Alright, cool. See you next time Team Plasma is around. Moving on."

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I agree Hugh was sucky. If we're getting a rival I'd prefer it to be like Cheren. I mean, he was competitive, he had goals, and wanted to be the best. He actually wanted to fight you rather than just Plasma. So something along the lines of Cheren again would fit in perfectly for a single rival.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I don't really like rivals like Gary and Silver just because they're so unbelievably delusional. I keep beating them but they keep calling me a weakling. It's just sad.

I feel like they did a better job with Wally, Barry, Cheren and Bianca.

My hope is for two friendly yet competitive rivals (like Wally, Cheren or Barry) and another rival who's a grunt of the evil team (somebody who's not important but has big ambitions)

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    A sibling rival would be great but don't make it the other protagonist, we could have the 2 protagonist be brother and sister and both have a brother or sister and maybe why not have both a brother and sister rival that are twins, you would encounter them at first in single battles then at the end have a double battle agaisn't them.

Back